Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is really weirdly Americentric.

Suffice to say there are ethnic enclaves all over the place, including Japan. I’m not sure where you got the impression that immigrant communities are uniquely American but they’re not.

Sorry man but literally every post you've made reeks of "as a white man let me tell you about."

Your 10 years or whatever in Japan and your group of highly-educated Korean friends don't get to talk about if Japan is racist. You are outsider tourist-types and while most people may be outwardly friendly towards you and yours, tons of studies have shown that they really don't like you, it's just that their upbringing means they just won't poo poo-talk you to your face.

I never thought I'd see such a blatantly "I don't understand what all these minorities are mad about, I have tons of minority friends and they're all happy" series of posts outside the USA. Congrats on reminding me that "people who think they understand institutionalized and historic racism in a culture despite not being part of that culture" is a worldwide phenomenon (although your english makes me guess that you're originally American too so who even knows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As a person that has taken Japanese 201, let me tell you about being black in other countries.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poo poo, even Smelliot makes a better point than you. I mean he's an idiot but the core of his argument has more merit.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

business hammocks posted:

If nazis make you an honorary white, it sticks.

haha, whaaaaaaaaaaat. that only happened in metal gear solid. japan was. . . they were. . . it was a bad time for everyone, okay?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

LimburgLimbo posted:

That’s one thing I’m absolutely not saying.

ah, so Japan is racist, much like many other countries

derail over

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

the core of his argument

care to be more explicit here

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

These Maga, alt right dudes are so, so stupid. They honestly believe they have a case. I'm sorry, but basic discrimination law time here folks: unless you are a protected class, you cannot be discriminated against. This is why it is legal to, at this moment, discriminate against LGBTQ people in many states. Your political opinion is not a protected class. Goddamn James Demore's "conservatism" is not protected under the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you are working at Buzzfeed, and you say racist poo poo but then say it's because of your "politics" they can still fire you. If you work for Hobby Lobby, and say that women have a right to have an abortion and you're all wrong, they can fire you.

Political opinion is not protected. People need to stop thinking that it is.

Nothing funnier than a conservative that is all of a sudden pro-worker's rights

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the milk machine posted:

ah, so Japan is racist, much like many other countries

derail over

as long as he keeps climbing the "as a rich white guy with korean friends in japan I understand JP racism far better than you filthy gaijins" hill, I consider it one long self-own, so not too far off-topic.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

by what metric

Virtually every metric? Fees are much higher in western nations (US, UK, etc.) and they’re much more restrictive. Salary requirements and requirements to survey for local hires are generally more stringent I believe. Even for something like a marriage visa in the US they’re very strict and you can gently caress yourself over by doing some part of the process wrong.

In Japan the real issue is primarily just that you need a job in order to get a company that will sponsor you, and you need either a uni degree or a certain level of experience in lieu, sometimes your education doesn’t even need to be related to the job you got, though they can sometimes deny a visa for that. The immigration itself is generally quite easy if you have a job offer. The issue is getting a job offer, which often entails language skills, etc. for many fields, which drives down applicants compared to western nations that maaany more people are trying to go to.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Former DILF posted:

care to be more explicit here

That Americans have erected statues towards lovely/horrible/racist assholes and are quick to deny or cover up past atrocities.

Sorry, I should have specified that not only is he an idiot, but that his particular example was bad. But KKK leaders and Confederate generals and politicians directly responsible for Native American massacres got statues to them pretty often, and we all know how ornery some people get when you say "hey maybe we should take down the statue of the dude who violently suppressed a slave rebellion" or whatever.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

this is so loving stupid all of us north and south americans built our societies on the top of indigenous graves and can't stop loving over the few of them left today so idgaf about the racism in communities i won't ever be apart of when it's still such an issue at home

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Virtually every metric? Fees are much higher in western nations (US, UK, etc.) and they’re much more restrictive. Salary requirements and requirements to survey for local hires are generally more stringent I believe. Even for something like a marriage visa in the US they’re very strict and you can gently caress yourself over by doing some part of the process wrong.

In Japan the real issue is primarily just that you need a job in order to get a company that will sponsor you, and you need either a uni degree or a certain level of experience in lieu, sometimes your education doesn’t even need to be related to the job you got, though they can sometimes deny a visa for that. The immigration itself is generally quite easy if you have a job offer. The issue is getting a job offer, which often entails language skills, etc. for many fields, which drives down applicants compared to western nations that maaany more people are trying to go to.

So what you're saying is in order to immigrate you need to be thoroughly vetted by a sponsoring company before they'd let you into the country on a permanent basis. This has nothing to do with Japan's culture of exclusion and conformity.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

maybe if the japanese start a genocide like in myanmar i'll give a slight gently caress about their situation until then goddamn lmfao all you bitches trying to demonstrate your grand knowledge of glorious nippon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Japanese approach to minorities is as equal and elegant as the curve of my katana

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is seriously nothing more cringe inducing than white boys trying to 1up each others knowledge of japan this applies to everyone doing it itt

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Percelus posted:

there is seriously nothing more cringe inducing than white boys trying to 1up each others knowledge of japan this applies to everyone doing it itt

have you seen that video of the dude getting friendzoned on national TV?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
as an anime connoisseur I,

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Your 10 years or whatever in Japan and your group of highly-educated Korean friends don't get to talk about if Japan is racist. You are outsider tourist-types and while most people may be outwardly friendly towards you and yours, tons of studies have shown that they really don't like you, it's just that their upbringing means they just won't poo poo-talk you to your face.

I can see why you think this, because the kind of experience you’re talking about is indeed a common one, but suffice to say it’s not my situation, and I’ve also spent plenty of time where I was the only non-Japanese in an organization. I have actually gotten plenty of shittalk to my face, and racism (again going back to my not saying that Japan has no racism, just not to the extent portrayed by western media), because I occupied a weird space where I was in the in-group of a number of organizations, while still being different by being a foreigner. Situationally I was treated exactly as a Japanese would 95% of the time, for better or worse.

I don’t expect you or really anyone else to understand because someone who didn’t spend all the critical years of their life in that situation can’t be expected to. And I don’t blame you for not putting much value to a random guys words on the internet, especially with regards to Japan, because there’s more delusional weirdos who latch onto it than other countries.

Also the Korean friends I was talking about were mostly zainichi, aka ethnic Koreans in Japan, a number of whom have Japanese citizenship, since birth or otherwise, and are definitely not “tourist-types”.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

So what you're saying is in order to immigrate you need to be thoroughly vetted by a sponsoring company before they'd let you into the country on a permanent basis. This has nothing to do with Japan's culture of exclusion and conformity.

No, a company needs to give you a job offer. Do you know what it’s like to actually legally immigrate to a western nation?

Japan is vastly, vastly easier.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

only top tier war criminals get a nobel peace prize, this man is in good company with henry kissinger

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Percelus posted:

man asian countries racism is such a dumb derail, like i'm sure racism is a global problem but for nerds on either side of the issue it's like who gives a gently caress unless you live there because last i checked black men are still getting gunned downed here and people can't even take a knee in protest without enraging the racists so worry about fixing your own house first before showing off your vast knowledge of asian regional racism

Percelus posted:

this is so loving stupid all of us north and south americans built our societies on the top of indigenous graves and can't stop loving over the few of them left today so idgaf about the racism in communities i won't ever be apart of when it's still such an issue at home

Essentially this is my point though; America has a massive hardon for murdering it’s minorities and economically loving them when it doesn’t. Yet people still love to bring up “well at least we’re nit as racist as the Japanese” and somehow that flies because white people want to believe it so bad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Percelus posted:

only top tier war criminals get a nobel peace prize, this man is in good company with henry kissinger

And it looks like he really was the kind of guy you could have a beer with after all.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
lol at this weeb saying japans racism is better than American racism

MAGA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

No, a company needs to give you a job offer. Do you know what it’s like to actually legally immigrate to a western nation?

I was born in the middle east and am an American citizen sooo

But since you completely missed the point I'll try to dumb it down for you: that company is only giving you a job offer once it's become clear that your value to them financially outweighs their reluctance to hire a foreigner, and for a variety of non-racist reasons, but also because of xenophobia, they will do their best to hire locally.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I can see why you think this, because the kind of experience you’re talking about is indeed a common one, but suffice to say it’s not my situation, and I’ve also spent plenty of time where I was the only non-Japanese in an organization. I have actually gotten plenty of shittalk to my face, and racism (again going back to my not saying that Japan has no racism, just not to the extent portrayed by western media), because I occupied a weird space where I was in the in-group of a number of organizations, while still being different by being a foreigner. Situationally I was treated exactly as a Japanese would 95% of the time, for better or worse.

I don’t expect you or really anyone else to understand because someone who didn’t spend all the critical years of their life in that situation can’t be expected to. And I don’t blame you for not putting much value to a random guys words on the internet, especially with regards to Japan, because there’s more delusional weirdos who latch onto it than other countries.

Also the Korean friends I was talking about were mostly zainichi, aka ethnic Koreans in Japan, a number of whom have Japanese citizenship, since birth or otherwise, and are definitely not “tourist-types”.

You're still just falling into the "I lived there so I know what I'm talking about" trap. You're just trying to spice it up with "my experience as a white dude in JP for a few years is different from other white dudes in JP for a few years because reasons," but you're just making the same argument over and over.

Also if we're gonna go back to the root of the debate, what you are talking about seems a lot more like xenophobia than racism. I know in Japan those things are extremely connected, but at the end of the day you're still a foreigner trying to act like you know about ingrained cultural racism.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
As a forum poster who watched Pokemon,

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I should add that a significant part of cultural/institutional racism is the fact that it's often so ingrained that even a native might struggle to see the connection. There are millions of people, both white and minority, in the US that are completely unaware of how multiple systems in this country were designed from the get-go to be stacked against minorities. To say that your X years as a computer janitor in Japan qualifies you to discuss racism in that country with any remote authority beyond "white tourist" is loving laughable.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I have actually gotten plenty of shittalk to my face, and racism (again going back to my not saying that Japan has no racism, just not to the extent portrayed by western media)

I have to go back to this because more and more it seems like you have a weirdly skewed view of this. Portrayal in the western media? we're just saying that japanese people are racist, nobody's quoting lines from that famous movie about japanese people deporting koreans by shooting them out of cannons into the ocean or whatever.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 27, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
shaddap about Japan

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/989958621390934016

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Halser posted:

excuse me

:nws:https://imgur.com/a/MQraN:nws:

Don't click that at work.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

LimburgLimbo posted:

The US has job visas and residency programs too. 10% of the people living in the US are legal immigrants while only 2% of people in Japan are.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

shoving a sex toy up my rear end to own the libs

the most exposure i've had to gavin is mulldog just lowkey clowning him on his own show

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

what in the hell was the point of this

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Former DILF posted:

He's obviously trying to bring back a proper standard of masculinity to the West.

Step 1 was ridiculous facial hair
Step 2 is cramming stuff up his rear end on video

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Former DILF posted:

sexual gratification

not the butt plug, the public humiliation fetish

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I was born in the middle east and am an American citizen sooo

But since you completely missed the point I'll try to dumb it down for you: that company is only giving you a job offer once it's become clear that your value to them financially outweighs their reluctance to hire a foreigner, and for a variety of non-racist reasons, but also because of xenophobia, they will do their best to hire locally.

You're still just falling into the "I lived there so I know what I'm talking about" trap. You're just trying to spice it up with "my experience as a white dude in JP for a few years is different from other white dudes in JP for a few years because reasons," but you're just making the same argument over and over.

Also if we're gonna go back to the root of the debate, what you are talking about seems a lot more like xenophobia than racism. I know in Japan those things are extremely connected, but at the end of the day you're still a foreigner trying to act like you know about ingrained cultural racism.

Yeah but seriously though did you go through the whole process and such yourself or was it in childhood? Japan is flat out easier than western nations to move to and work in under most circumnstances.

You’re right that xenophobia and racism are closely related in Japan and there’s a lot of overlap, which I haven’t explicitly expounded upon, but I don’t think it’s particularly important for the argument. You’re right; I am a foreigner that knows about ingrained cultural racism in Japan. Arguably I know more about it than most Japanese becuse I’ve experienced to some extent all sides of the equation, being treated as Japanese in some areas and deeply understanding the culture, while in other contexts been victim of it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think, without irony or jokes, that it is actually important and cool to constantly call these outlets out for sucking far-right-winger dick and coddling them and giving them special service at all times.

If for no other reason, than working the refs is how the right wing was able to balloon so hard in the first place.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Arguably I know more about it than most Japanese becuse I’ve experienced to some extent all sides of the equation, being treated as Japanese in some areas and deeply understanding the culture, while in other contexts been victim of it.

jfc :lol::lol::lol:

e: I'm done arguing, I want that quote to be the last argument limbo makes because it's incredible

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oh no, someone hurt one of jack's favorite fascists' feelings :qq:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Also I should add that a significant part of cultural/institutional racism is the fact that it's often so ingrained that even a native might struggle to see the connection. There are millions of people, both white and minority, in the US that are completely unaware of how multiple systems in this country were designed from the get-go to be stacked against minorities. To say that your X years as a computer janitor in Japan qualifies you to discuss racism in that country with any remote authority beyond "white tourist" is loving laughable.

I have to go back to this because more and more it seems like you have a weirdly skewed view of this. Portrayal in the western media? we're just saying that japanese people are racist, nobody's quoting lines from that famous movie about japanese people deporting koreans by shooting them out of cannons into the ocean or whatever.

You’re making my point for me in a way. I’m not saying that working in a company in Japan gave me my insight, it’s other things and other, exclusively Japanese (or Korean-Japanese as it happens) organizations that I was party of and experienced that give me my insight. Perhaps I should have made that more explicit earlier but I want intending to expound this much so didn’t go deeply into my cultural background. So as someone who’s had the experience of being expected to act exactly like a native the vast majority of the time, in a very conservative Japanese organization, and treated like as you say a “white tourist” at other times in other places, I have a pretty deep understand of all sides of this.

My original point was that Japan isn’t significantly racist when compared to the serious issues facing places like the US et al, but people think otherwise because of some wonky media. I’ve never claimed that Japan isn’t at all racist, and if that’s all we’re looking to agree on then we’re all good.

jfc :lol::lol::lol:

e: I'm done arguing, I want that quote to be the last argument limbo makes because it's incredible

I don’t need you to believe me, but imagine if someone told you you could never understand culture in America because you were born in the Middle East and how ridiculous that would be (edit: I mean I presume it’s happened at some point, and is ridiculous). You’re essentially falling into the orientalist trap that westerners can never really integrate into an Asian society or cultural unit, which isn’t entirely true. I’ll tell you a lot of the time it loving sucked in many ways, but it was an enlightening experience.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 27, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

LimburgLimbo posted:

can you stop yourself for a second an earnestly ask yourself "why do i think finding a job overseas and purchasing a university degree constitute a low barrier of entry?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tetracube posted:

oh no, someone hurt one of jack's favorite fascists' feelings :qq:

I've never seen Jack personally respond to any other of this nonsense. Does he have a thing for Owens, or does he make it a habit of defending fascist women?

Then again, he does follow Cernovich and Prosbiec. Hmmnnn

• Locked thread