Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

zoux posted:

The year that Ultimates #12 came out was also the year we lost our poo poo at France over opposing the Iraq War and started calling them "freedom fries" so I'd hardly call it anachronistic for 2003. I imagine it's a direct reference to that.

That’s… what I was getting at. It was a topical reference/critique/mindless repetition for the authors to make; it was an extremely anachronistic statement from a man born either during or shortly after The Great War, when France had fought on its own territory for four bloody years at the cost of millions of dead, who then fought in World War 2, where the complete destruction of the French army and ability to fight preceded said surrender, and who presumably, like his 616 counterpart, did at least some fighting alongside the French Resistance.

The point I was going for is that the “French surrender-monkeys!” narrative is decidedly post-WW2 and mostly post-9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah I see. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pieces of Peace posted:

That’s… what I was getting at. It was a topical reference/critique/mindless repetition for the authors to make; it was an extremely anachronistic statement from a man born either during or shortly after The Great War, when France had fought on its own territory for four bloody years at the cost of millions of dead, who then fought in World War 2, where the complete destruction of the French army and ability to fight preceded said surrender, and who presumably, like his 616 counterpart, did at least some fighting alongside the French Resistance.

The point I was going for is that the “French surrender-monkeys!” narrative is decidedly post-WW2 and mostly post-9/11.

Though the idea of American servicemen from the era having no great regard for French leandership isn't at least completely foreign. The little my grandfather spoke of the French when he served in WW2 basically boiled down to a glowingly favorable opinion of the French people, but a complete disdain for their military and political leadership.

He also wasn't a fan of Patton, so your mileage may vary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Though the idea of American servicemen from the era having no great regard for French leandership isn't at least completely foreign. The little my grandfather spoke of the French when he served in WW2 basically boiled down to a glowingly favorable opinion of the French people, but a complete disdain for their military and political leadership.

He also wasn't a fan of Patton, so your mileage may vary.
WW2 France was complicated to put it lightly. I honestly doubt your typical American GI at the time was going to know a whole lot about the specifics of what was going in other than "the French government decided to suck Hitler's cock rather than fight but there's also a bunch of Frenchmen fighting alongside us."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zaodai posted:

That's generally how the French see it, so that's kinda understandable.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Endless Mike posted:

WW2 France was complicated to put it lightly. I honestly doubt your typical American GI at the time was going to know a whole lot about the specifics of what was going in other than "the French government decided to suck Hitler's cock rather than fight but there's also a bunch of Frenchmen fighting alongside us."

Honest question — how well known in America (and the UK, etc.) were the struggles of the Maquis, the “Underground”, and other French resistance groups?

My only historical source is Victory, the Sly Stallone WWII soccer movie where the French Underground gets him a fake passport, and it’s vague on the topic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably more people know about the Maquis from Star Trek than WWII

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Honest question — how well known in America (and the UK, etc.) were the struggles of the Maquis, the “Underground”, and other French resistance groups?

My only historical source is Victory, the Sly Stallone WWII soccer movie where the French Underground gets him a fake passport, and it’s vague on the topic.

More Americans know the Maquis from Star Trek than History class.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The French Resistance played a big part in the hit film "Top Secret".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe you guys have never watched Allo Allo.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shouldn’t have gone for the obscure reference mocking one of Stallone’s effortmovies when asking for information. I meant knowing about these things in a contempory sense.

During WWII, were there newsreels played before movies extolling the valor of the scrappy never-say-die French partisans who’d never knuckle under to Fritz? That sort of thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played Medal of Honor II, that one had you play as someone in the French Resistance. Also, they mention Himmler and some point and I remember thinking to myself "Why did they censor Hitler's name?"

I was not a smart boy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't that game the saboteur about a guy in the French resistance

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shouldn’t have gone for the obscure reference mocking one of Stallone’s effortmovies when asking for information. I meant knowing about these things in a contempory sense.

During WWII, were there newsreels played before movies extolling the valor of the scrappy never-say-die French partisans who’d never knuckle under to Fritz? That sort of thing.

While I don't know for sure, I'd venture to guess that newsreels were largely pro-US, anti-Axis than really attempting to tell the full story.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would be surprised if that were the case, as at the time of France's occupation the Americans were mostly concerned about not being dragged into yet another costly European war - running propaganda that would get popular support for entering the war would be contrary to that.

It's important to remember that Hitler was a vocal advocate for national identity that many Americans at the time agreed with, and that the world was just exiting the era of empires so his aggressiveness toward neighbours was often described as "regrettable" rather than being seen as an alarming expansion and consolidation of power. He wasn't really anything more than an unusually ideological politician until the war was in full swing, and even then he wasn't a monster until the end of the war revealed what he'd been doing inside his territory.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

site posted:

Wasn't that game the saboteur about a guy in the French resistance

Yes but he was Irish because certainly no American audience is going to buy a game with a French main character and hero.

Really fun game regardless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Android Blues posted:

You're right about the "France surrendered!" thing, though. That's pretty anachronistic. That said, France did surrender in Steve's time, and by the same token that people from the past aren't necessarily collections of stereotypical attitudes, it's entirely possible he, who lived through it, thought that was a cowardly move. Who's to say?

There was a really good issue in the regular Cap title a little after the Ultimates one, where he talks about his memories of working alongside the French Resistance and how much he admired their refusal to give up in the face of overwhelming odds and the literal occupation of their own country.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jerusalem posted:

There was a really good issue in the regular Cap title a little after the Ultimates one, where he talks about his memories of working alongside the French Resistance and how much he admired their refusal to give up in the face of overwhelming odds and the literal occupation of their own country.
Thank you for mentioning this, it was in my head this whole time and I forgot to mention it or to hunt down panels. So even better than a couple of hosted images, here’s a fuller compare & contrast of the two: https://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-captain-america-sticks-up-for-france/

ETA: Dammit, doesn’t work on craptastic image host I used because for some reason I can’t get into my imgur account on mobile. Open the pic as a new tab then click to embiggen, and I promise to use imgur or a real host from now on.
And one of the best related jokes, from Nextwave:

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 27, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What is this, a panel for Ant-Man?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghostlight posted:

:flashfact: I would be surprised...
BTW, thanks for that explanation. Makes perfect sense with that context

ArchRanger posted:

Yes but he was Irish because certainly no American audience is going to buy a game with a French main character and hero.
Really? Not even a mixed platformer/beat-em-up with this Frenchman?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, when war comics were still a thing, DC had Mademoiselle Marie...

(You can tell she's French because she wears a pencil skirt and ballet slippers to a firefight.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

(You can tell she's French because she wears a pencil skirt and ballet slippers to a firefight.)

I would hope this comic is as fuckin' rad as the cover promises.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonKGuS9uuQ

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

davidspackage posted:

Yeah that's a pretty awesome cover. You can't really genuinely have "wanted by the gestapo" on the cover of comics anymore.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ArchRanger posted:

Really fun game regardless.

Fun fact, the game is loosely based on a real race car driver who joined the French resistance and fought the Nazi's.

Only in real life he was British, not Irish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Grover-Williams

So the game designers correctly figured that audiences would rather play as an Irishman over an Englishman.

The same line of thinking was used in Nioh.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

I like that her mugshot also has a beret and turtleneck. It's a thin cigarette and a baguette away from perfect.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

davidspackage posted:

I started reading the wiki on her because I was curious who that cover artist was (still looking) but I just had to share that she was Sgt Rock's only love interest, and at one point in DC canon had a daughter. The father? Alfred muthafuckin' Pennyworth.

On reading about the woman who inspired Mlle Marie, Simone Segouin, I learned that "nom de guerre" is a thing, and was used extensively in the French resistance. You adopted a nom de guerre, and then if you got killed or went MIA, someone else would take up the name, to confuse the enemy and hide your identity. Just like comics! Pretty cool to read about real-life Batgirls.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Push El Burrito posted:

I like that her mugshot also has a beret and turtleneck. It's a thin cigarette and a baguette away from perfect.

It looks like it should be out of an Airplane! style film, where she's hanging from a rope and shooting, and a guy walks up, snaps a photo with an old-timey giant flashbulb camera, ducks down out of frame, stands back up with that wanted poster, pastes it on the wall, and walks away, all during the roaring gun battle.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Fantastic Four - Dark Reign #4

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The father? Alfred muthafuckin' Pennyworth.
So the butler did it! (It = “her mother”)
Seriously, the bit of lore about Alfred being a combat medic hints at a past that stretches far beyond the simple, unremarkable biography one expects of a rich family’s servant. Forget the panel about “Get out of my Batcave” from Injustice, even skip the admittedly cool Michael Caine black ops counter-insurgent hunting down evil Robin Hood story from The Dark Knight, just that this guy was a corpsman says a lot about him.

TheCenturion posted:

It looks like it should be out of an Airplane! style film, where she's hanging from a rope and shooting, and a guy walks up, snaps a photo with an old-timey giant flashbulb camera, ducks down out of frame, stands back up with that wanted poster, pastes it on the wall, and walks away, all during the roaring gun battle.
Someone upthread mentioned the movie Top Secret. This scene would be perfectly in place in that movie.

ETA: “The Battle Doll?” I know it’s an artifact of the time but that’s just a lazy appellation.

ETA 2: To contribute, some more WWII-related stuff. Not sure which is better, Fury smoking a cigar in his highly combustible oxygen-filled spacesuit, or Dum-Dum Dugan getting a helmet that fits over his bowler hat.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 27, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Isn't Alfred canonically a SAS medic?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think the specifics depend on the writer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I love that Alfred got this multiple options past like the Joker but he's actually interesting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found those pictures I was talking about :

I'm not sure what the source is, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's talking about Merlin I think.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven’t taken the Super-Soldier serum so the only chances I get to compare myself to Jesus in a spoken monologue are when I help old ladies across the street or put an extra dollar bill as well as the coins I get back in change in the tip jar when I buy coffee.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I do it any time I let someone else have the last slice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fantastic Four - Dark Reign #4

No wonder Osborn usually relies on bombs, he's a terrible shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

No wonder Osborn usually relies on bombs, he's a terrible shot.

Just once I'd like to see Batman just get shot by a guy he's charging at and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I started reading the wiki on her because I was curious who that cover artist was (still looking) but I just had to share that she was Sgt Rock's only love interest, and at one point in DC canon had a daughter. The father? Alfred muthafuckin' Pennyworth.

I'm pretty sure the earlier cover is Jerry Grandenetti. As for Rock and Marie, well...

It's a bit surprising to remember that Sgt. Rock ran for over 400 issues when he's barely remembered today.