Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

In our Series: Fun with ICO's i present to you,
"gently caress off with your 8 million"

Coin: https://bgx.ai/
Promise: Mobile Decentralized Butts Processing
White Paper: Woke
Timeline: Hypervirtualized

...to be continued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
CZ seems like a boss-level entrepreneur, would be very interested in hearing his story.

I can be a oval office as much as the next goon, but I admire highly successful people and try to learn something from them.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Risc1911 posted:

In our Series: Fun with ICO's i present to you,
"gently caress off with your 8 million"

Coin: https://bgx.ai/
Promise: Mobile Decentralized Butts Processing
White Paper: Woke
Timeline: Hypervirtualized

...to be continued

I'm not sure why I like this as much as I do from the Tokenomics page of their website:

Totally not a scam posted:

Changing of goals after start of ICO: Impossible

I also appreciate the "Crowdsale Softdcap: $4 000 000 USD"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wide stance posted:

I can be a oval office as much as the next goon, but I admire highly successful people and try to learn something from them.

With Elon, I'm learning to quote people without referencing them and taking the credit. An inspiration.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/there-are-now-17-million-bitcoins-in-existence--only-4-million-left-to-mine.html

More than 80 percent of the bitcoins that will ever exist have now been created.
The 17 millionth bitcoin was "mined" Thursday, according to data from Blockchain.info, more than a year since the number of coins topped 16 million. But only 21 million bitcoins will ever exist, according to the design of the cryptocurrency's anonymous founder known as "Satoshi Nakamoto."
"It's an event that makes the market more aware of the scarcity of bitcoin. It will eventually turn into higher prices," said Ansel Lindner, a bitcoin investor and host of the "Bitcoin & Markets" podcast. He expects this year, bitcoin could surpass its record high of more than $19,000 hit in December.
Bitcoin traded near $8,900 midday Thursday, down roughly 35 percent for the year so far.
The cryptocurrency is created through an energy intensive process in which miners use high computing power to solve complex mathematical equations. They then receive the bitcoins as a reward, whose amount is halved over time. As a result, the bitcoin creation process is generally slowing down, although it can vary with the number of miners participating.
The first bitcoins were mined in January 2009. Blockchain.info data shows it took about 200 days to reach the first 1 million coins, but the run to 17 million has taken more than 500 days — the number of bitcoins topped 16 million in November 2016. The remaining 4 million coins aren't expected to be mined completely for another 122 years.
The 17 millionth bitcoin "serves as a timely reminder that despite bitcoin's volatility the fundamentals have never been stronger!" Brandon Williams of cryptocurrency trading firm Cosima Capital, said in an email.
"Not only have there been improvements in scaling and lowering transaction fees (i.e. SegWit and Lightning Network), but bitcoin is finite!" he said. And against limited supply, Williams expects demand from institutional investors to increase, which should send prices higher.
A significant number of bitcoins are also not in circulation. An estimated 980,000 coins, or 4.7 percent of all bitcoins that will ever exist, belong to Satoshi, according to widely accepted analysis by Sergio Demian Lerner.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

So how much will the transaction costs have to go up to keep enough of the network alive?

Alternatively what are the odds that we just sweep this whole limit thing under the rug?

E: stupid internet drama is as close to sports betting as I usually get.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 27, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That’s not how over / under works

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I take it comfy is in at 500/1 against.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

i'm starting to get the feeling you don't like technological or economic progress

On the contrary, it's my job to push the cutting edge of my field. Innovation is what I do for a living

What I don't like is a technology like blockchain being proposed as the definitive solution for every problem under the sun, since it doesn't fit well in 99% of cases. I don't mind clumsy proposals from people who aren't aware of the superior alternatives. However, these proposals often don't come from a place of authenticity, and their supporters are just trying to make a buck.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 27, 2018

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

So how much will the transaction costs have to go up to keep enough of the network alive?

Alternatively what are the odds that we just sweep this whole limit thing under the rug?

E: stupid internet drama is as close to sports betting as I usually get.

there's off chain solutions like lightning network so transaction costs aren't as big a deal anymore

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

What I don't like is a technology like blockchain being proposed as the definitive solution for every problem under the sun, since it doesn't fit well in 99% of cases. I don't mind clumsy proposals from people who aren't aware of the superior alternatives. However, these proposals often don't come from a place of authenticity, and their supporters are just trying to make a buck.

Yeah, somebody should set up a blockchain solution to vet suggestions to reward the good ones and filter out the stupid ones. If you write steal the whitepaper, I'll pre-mine the tokens.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Is today a good day to buy bitcoins?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

numberoneposter posted:

Is today a good day to buy bitcoins?

Buy them from Sweater for $19k/apiece. If you can convince him to sell at that low price you can do anything I believe in you!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

zaurg posted:

Yeah but one day they'll be right and Bitcoin will crash again

How much have you made off of crypto again?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Buy them from Sweater for $19k/apiece. If you can convince him to sell at that low price you can do anything I believe in you!

Just lol if you think I’m not HODLing strong #irongrip

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just lol if you think I’m not HODLing strong #irongrip

"convince"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

in civil war news, apparently bitcoin cash supporters are trying to send bitcoin cash to vendors who only accept bitcoin and then getting upset when the vendor doesn't accept bitcoin cash

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghosTTy posted:

there's off chain solutions like lightning network so transaction costs aren't as big a deal anymore
Will the lightning network let me feel superior to others?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ghosTTy posted:

But aren’t fees supposed to pay the miners to secure the network? When there are no more new coins to be had, in the absence of high fees, why would people mine?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

But aren’t fees supposed to pay the miners to secure the network? When there are no more new coins to be had, in the absence of high fees, why would people mine?
My friend, have you heard of rai stones?

The proof of work is done on enough bitcoins that we can just turn off all the miners tonight and trade tokens representing their value. Something like a piece of toilet paper with a guys face on it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

zedprime posted:

The proof of work is done on enough bitcoins that we can just turn off all the miners tonight and trade tokens representing their value. Something like a piece of toilet paper with a guys poo poo on it.

FTFY

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ghosTTy posted:

A centralized technology solves problems with bitcoin? You don't say.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Inept posted:

How much have you made off of crypto again?

I'm gonna have to get back to you on that.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if bitcoin goes down. youre just not believing hard enough

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I short sell bitcoins so I gain money when the price goes down. I also own bitcoins so I gain money when the price goes up. You literally cannot lose money if you invest in Bitcoins.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Decrepus posted:

I short sell bitcoins so I gain money when the price goes down. I also own bitcoins so I gain money when the price goes up. You literally cannot lose money if you invest in Bitcoins.

Easy to explain for smart crypto holders, but goons can’t understand this... smh

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if i show up to best buy when it opens will that be a good enough effort to get an nvidia volta card the day theyre released?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Decrepus posted:

What about when the exchange is hacked or embezzled? Isn't shorting losing money when price only goes up?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

isndl posted:

What about when the exchange is hacked or embezzled? Isn't shorting losing money when price only goes up?

Then weak hands has transfered to strong hands. This ensures only smart people have the coins and wealth and thus better for mankind.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Holy poo poo it's back up to $10,000?

:thunk:

God people are loving retarded.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Waffle House posted:

Holy poo poo it's back up to $10,000?

:thunk:

God people are loving retarded.

I know

It was too easy to buy the dip and yet people were saying bitcoin was dead for sure this time... smh

You could’ve earned 40% on your investment in a month....

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Waffle House posted:

God people are loving retarded for not buying Bitcoin.
fixed :smugbert:

wid
Sep 7, 2005

I know

It was too easy to buy the dip and yet people were saying bitcoin was dead for sure this time... smh

You could’ve earned 40% on your investment in a month....

They're retarded to sell now if they bought at the dip since it will reach 20k soon.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You are not wrong, which means we are witness to this rare quantum superposition of objectively, totally retarded poo poo.

Every single goddamn angle, maximum retarded. Straight to 11.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

wid posted:

They're retarded to sell now if they bought at the dip since it will reach 20k soon.

Lol why would you sell before 200k?

If you’re not putting your salary on bitcoin... just smdh.... but goons.... goons never learn............

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you’re not putting your salary on bitcoin... just smdh.... but goons.... goons never learn............
Think of it as people heroically sacrificing so you can feel smug.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have nothing to add but just wanted to say that I remember bepis.txt and laugh irl at least a few times a week ever since it happened.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
all the fun went out of this for me when i came to the conclusion that the price exists at the will of the people running the exchanges and theyre just stripping money off of everyone margin trading by swinging the price up and down at will

8000 means nothing, 800 would mean nothing and 80000 would mean nothing.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

200k? Feh. That's only for weak willed peasants. 2 million is where I would suggest it's worth it to cash out some. Think of it. Just turn all of your savings to bitcoins now then sell just one to be a millionaire. You're only missing out if you're still holding on to fiat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wulfolme posted:

all the fun went out of this for me when i came to the conclusion that the price exists at the will of the people running the exchanges and theyre just stripping money off of everyone margin trading by swinging the price up and down at will

8000 means nothing, 800 would mean nothing and 80000 would mean nothing.

lol