Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Casimir Radon posted:

Wasn't the last time either.

One thing I love about Joe Dante is when he makes it obvious he’s just making a movie for himself, like Gremlins 2 or Small Soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

One thing I love about Joe Dante is when he makes it obvious he’s just making a movie for himself, like Gremlins 2 or Small Soldiers.
My thoughts on Matinee was that it was great but wondered how in the hell he managed to get a studio to pay for it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

Nobody who dislikes Gremlins 2 should be able to touch this franchise. Columbus included. Would 100% prefer one of the big nerd directors working today get ahold of it.

Any Gremlins reboot should have a contractual stipulation that guarantees a potential sequel must be a relentless, fourth wall-shattering Looney Tunes parody of "dark/more serious/grounded" reboots

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Casimir Radon posted:

My thoughts on Matinee was that it was great but wondered how in the hell he managed to get a studio to pay for it.

Gremlins probably bought him a hell of a lot of goodwill

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chicken Run is actually one of my favourite movies and I'm pretty sure it's the first one I saved up my pocket money to buy on video.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I saw Chicken Run as a double feature with Titan A.E; I remember liking the former waaaaay more as the latter's intro downright traumatized kid-me. Both have aged pretty well, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Titan AE is the one I remember really wanting to go and see but my mum wouldn't take me to see it because she thought it looked too scary.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Bakshi is cool cuz he'll make a kids movie that opens with the destruction of the world and diaspora for some, certain death for most

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It took me a minute to remember that Titan AE and Treasure Planet were two different movies.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I remember the Titan AE teaser trailer before Phantom Menace getting a legitimately big reaction from my theater when it ran before Phantom Menace; an entire audience of young sci-fi nerds saying "That looked amazing, what WAS that?"

A year later my brother and I were the only two people in the theater to catch a matinee during its extremely brief run.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's certainly no Robocop level brutal satire.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This just makes me wish we would get a director's cut for Explorers. :sigh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should just go with the rlm idea for gremlins 3.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DarkSol posted:

This just makes me wish we would get a director's cut for Explorers. :sigh:

Oh poo poo! I haven't thought of that movie in a very long time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

It took me a minute to remember that Titan AE and Treasure Planet were two different movies.

Treasure Planet was the one I did go to see.

Speaking of early 2000s animated movies that weren't Disney or Dreamworks, does anyone remember Robots? I saw that in the cinema.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of early 2000s animated movies that weren't Disney or Dreamworks, does anyone remember Robots? I saw that in the cinema.

We had to take our daughter to the doctor yesterday, and they were playing that in the waiting room. It's not a bad movie, really.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh poo poo! I haven't thought of that movie in a very long time

What sucks is that I love the portions of the movie that take place on Earth, but as soon as the aliens actually show up, I lose interest. Like it goes too goofy, too fast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

We had to take our daughter to the doctor yesterday, and they were playing that in the waiting room. It's not a bad movie, really.

Treasure Planet or Robots?

I remember Robots being pretty solid and Treasure Planet being one I wanted to like more than I actually did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Robots was the default demo dvd at Best Buy, Fry’s, and MicroCenter for ages. I’ve only ever seen 3 minute clips of it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Treasure Planet or Robots?

I remember Robots being pretty solid and Treasure Planet being one I wanted to like more than I actually did.

Robots. I had kind of forgotten Robin Williams was in that movie.

I saw Treasure Planet and Titan AE in theaters and I was surprised when I learned not everyone liked those movies. I thought they were pretty solid movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Chicken Run was good as heck so I'm glad we're getting another dose.

Robots is boring and gets slightly more interesting if you think of it being about Walt Disney

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Titan AE is the one I remember really wanting to go and see but my mum wouldn't take me to see it because she thought it looked too scary.

I remember as a kid going to see The Shadow and loving it, but we had to leave when the golden sarcophagus opened because we'D gone with another family and their kids were scared to death. Looking at the year that came out, I was 6.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Chicken Run was fantastic and had a great opening theme.

https://youtu.be/oUDCbOVmSdU

Leavemywife posted:

I saw Robots on opening weekend. I thought it was fun enough, but I did rather enjoy that Robin Williams’ character shows up at the final battle wielding the Lance of Longinus from Evangelion. :allears:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dexie posted:

I saw Robots on opening weekend. I thought it was fun enough, but I did rather enjoy that Robin Williams’ character shows up at the final battle wielding the Lance of Longinus from Evangelion. :allears:

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-q2zqxkz2w

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

how has Bright changed the fantasy?

DID YOU EVEN loving WATCH THE MOVIE

like, I hate to just bluntly yell at you like this, but the answer to your question is the literal loving premise of the movie, did you just not even watch it and start discussing it based on spoilers?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

ugh, I hate to cop to this, but as a kid I used to read some high fantasy/modern era type stuff. And the best way they got around having an elf and a motorcycle in the same chapter is by mashing the worlds relatively recently . Like the fantasy world only become known X amount of years. It takes care of alot of unnecessary questions.

Shageletic posted:

Never read Shadowrun but I guess it happened there too.

Shadowrun was largely inspired by the urban fantasy genre: SR was to be a bog-standard cyberpunk game until line developer Jordan Weisman was reading Charles de Lint on a flight to Japan and immediately called FASA's office and demanded that "elves on motorcycles" be in the game.

But yeah, SR's fantasy elements were injected around the 2012 end of the Maya Long Count, the end of the Fifth World and the beginning of the Sixth World, although magic declined in prehistory in the tie-in game Earthdawn (which, since the license reverted to Earthdawn's creator following FASA's collapse, no longer is connected to SR). But given the game takes place between 2050-2070, there's enough time for recent history to develop between humans and the rest of metahumanity, dragons,

If you want to see what a society would look like with magic and fantasy is introduced in the past and where technology eventually develops and evolves in reaction, that's the role-playing game TORG's dimension Tharkold: the demons made their appearance during the Trojan War and, as a result, there's been more than 2 millenia of constant combat between man and the demons. The easiest explantation for Tharkold is Hellraiser Terminator: Someone developed WMDs during the 1400s-1500s thanks to accelerated weapons evolution, nuking almost everything, so the current time is a demon fiefdoms propped up by human slavery, a few free human nation-states that persist from civilizations in Antiquity (Egypt, Judea, Italy, China, Japan), and small cantoments and outposts in hiding separated by hundreds of miles of hell-blasted, area-denied landscape. That's how a magic-tech with backstory set thousands of years in the past ends up.

What I'm really saying is that these thousand years high fantasy only lead to one place: extermination. Even in Lord Of The Rings, the Age of Man leads to the transition of elves from the physical world, the genocide of the orks and ogres, and the interbreeding of the hobbits into humanity.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd just discovered Mel Brooks so I was pretty excited that he was about to be in something right then.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

DID YOU EVEN loving WATCH THE MOVIE

like, I hate to just bluntly yell at you like this, but the answer to your question is the literal loving premise of the movie, did you just not even watch it and start discussing it based on spoilers?

Needless to say, I have seen the movie, and it presents a scenario where characters refer to some ancient conflict between the forces of good and evil that is conspicuously similar to Lord of the Rings. The film has not changed the fantasy. It presents it as fantasy, as a historical justification for the much more recent historical phenomena of colonialism and capitalism.

The filmmakers have merely asked, "What happens after the European races of Lord of the Rings successfully dispute the subterranean and Oriental forces of the Dark Lord?" The conclusion is simply that the monarchic and feudal structure of this so-called fantasy world is obviously analogous to real world monarchy and feudalism, and is indeed derived from that, is partly a nostalgic recreation of it. 'Magic' is just a substitute for the claim of divine right to political and economic authority. These monarchies inevitably give rise to modern capitalism and projects of imperial/colonial expansion. There is no straightforward reason that American history and ideology should be substantially different with this foundation, except that people wish it would, because the contrary suggestion subverts the escapist potential of generic fantasy, of which Tolkien's literature is a quintessential example.

You don't need to read very far into Tolkien's world-building to note his decided antipathy towards modernity, that through his elaborate and meticulous building of his fantasy world he is also harkening to a fantasy of when mankind lived closer to nature, before his spirit was despoiled by industrialism and before poetry and song were imprisoned in the ivory towers of academia. Jackson's film very astutely expands on this anxiety by presenting the Dark Lord's minions literally engaging in massive deforestation and creating humanoid monsters excavated from the earth and born from oily sacks of viscera. Bright then takes this subterranean figures and puts it to the spectator that they are just oppressed peoples, that there is no preternatural 'essence' of humanity that has been lost, that this sort of fantasy is part of the ideological problem.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dexie posted:

Chicken Run was fantastic and had a great opening theme.

https://youtu.be/oUDCbOVmSdU

Just a head's up for anyone that hasn't seen it: Chicken Run is currently on Netflix.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

K. Waste posted:

There is no straightforward reason that American history and ideology should be substantially different with this foundation, except that people wish it would, because the contrary suggestion subverts the escapist potential of generic fantasy, of which Tolkien's literature is a quintessential example.
I think the disagreement comes from you basically taking an extreme historical materialism approach to the movie, and defining anything beyond the organization of society as irrelevant - thus the existence of modern day America (but with orcs) is fine because it's just a representation of the (current) end point of a historical process that should not be changed by introducing all this magic stuff. Which I can actually sympathize with, going all-in on "realistic world building" seems like it could easily undermine whatever message you're trying to get across. On the other hand, a world very different from ours on the surface but structurally very similar might actually get the idea of historical materialism across better...

The historical materialism approach falls apart for anyone who sees culture and religion as important forces too though, as the story of Bright diverges from real history one or more millennia before the oldest modern religions. Like, you'd need a literal god constantly working behind the scenes to force history on the exact same historical track, otherwise you'd get something completely unrecognizable - except perhaps in the sense of there being a city in the area LA occupies, belonging to a post-colonial capitalist state with a history of oppression and segregation. Someone looking for an exploration of race relations in America through more explicit counter-factuals, like America being influenced by a religion with a very different approach than Christianity, would be perfectly justified in being disappointed by a move that didn't consider religion and culture to have any influence at all on American (racial) history.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Robots. I had kind of forgotten Robin Williams was in that movie.

I play on a trivia team and a halftime question one week was to list movies featuring Robin Williams with one-word titles. It took a lot of convincing for my team to believe that movie existed and wasn't something of a fever dream I made up.

"Robots!"
"He was in the Will Smith movie?"
"No, that's I, Robot. Robin Williams played a robot in that CGI movie."
"Bicentennial Man wasn't CGI."
"NO! This one was fully CGI and was just called Robots."
"What was it about?"
"ROBOTS!"

:psylon:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

He had to beg Universal to put up the money. They had a financier that imploded on itself a few months before cameras were going to roll and Uni had already dropped a small percentage in for the distribution rights. For whatever reason, maybe the guy holding the purse strings remembered watching William Castle movies as a kid, they ponied up the rest.

Most likely they figured it could be a write-off if nothing else.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The historical materialism approach falls apart for anyone who sees culture and religion as important forces too though, as the story of Bright diverges from real history one or more millennia before the oldest modern religions. Like, you'd need a literal god constantly working behind the scenes to force history on the exact same historical track, otherwise you'd get something completely unrecognizable - except perhaps in the sense of there being a city in the area LA occupies, belonging to a post-colonial capitalist state with a history of oppression and segregation. Someone looking for an exploration of race relations in America through more explicit counter-factuals, like America being influenced by a religion with a very different approach than Christianity, would be perfectly justified in being disappointed by a move that didn't consider religion and culture to have any influence at all on American (racial) history.

The funny thing, though, is that Bright considers religion. Even the Orc gangs and street artists, with their invocation of the Dark Lord and swearing of blood oaths, function just as much as cults as we might consider a gang.

Moreover, I think it's important to note how, despite superficially depicting what should be pagan societies - and certainly being inspired by pagan culture - Tolkien fantasy and world-building is overtly a veiled analogy for Christianity. No pagan is preoccupied with some diametric opposition between good and evil, between gods of peace and 'Dark Lords' and such. Again, generic fantasy literature is overtly a production of Western ideology, where the history of Christianity dominates as source of religious justification for any number of historical events.

In the case of Bright, the characters are explicitly not referring to a pre-Christian phenomenon. The spiritual conflict and mythology that informs the oppression of the orcs coincided with the emergence of Christianity.

quote:

Here's the thing I can't understand: How do a bunch of dudes who can barely remember their baby mama's birthday have beef with a whole race over some poo poo that happened two thousand years ago?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw it in cinema but I don't remember it too well.

What I can recall was there was a lot of veneration of an Edison/Ford/Disney figure, and that the action sequences felt very abrupt. Then again, I might be confusing it with the CGI Astroboy movie, which was equally forgettable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Look, I haven't seen the movie Bright (2017?) but either orcs (and elves and everything) always existed or they suddenly existed.

If they always existed, it is weird that the world ended up literally exactly the same, except with orcs. All politics, all religions. Nothing changes, you could make a deep point of that!
If they suddenly existed, it is weird that it also had no effect. No major political upheavals, religious. You could also make a point here, just tuned differently.

Shrek's a pretty good example. Is he some kind of commentary on the permanent human/orc situation, or is he a relic from before the orcs arrived?

Max Landis (btw i really liked American Ultra) was all over twitter claiming the movie would write a new chapter in movies about race or something. It just doesn't seem like the movie is that profound?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that he wrote a script and then David Ayers did a pass on it without any of Landis' input. So whatever he was talking about isn't what the finished movie ended up being. Although I doubt it would be that great either as he hasn't really shown a great talent for deep screenwriting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Krankenstyle posted:

Look, I haven't seen the movie Bright (2017?) but either orcs (and elves and everything) always existed or they suddenly existed.

If they always existed, it is weird that the world ended up literally exactly the same, except with orcs. All politics, all religions. Nothing changes, you could make a deep point of that!
If they suddenly existed, it is weird that it also had no effect. No major political upheavals, religious. You could also make a point here, just tuned differently.

Shrek's a pretty good example. Is he some kind of commentary on the permanent human/orc situation, or is he a relic from before the orcs arrived?

The plot is that there have always been orcs.

Shrek is already a commentary on race relations. In Bright, it's no longer a metaphor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

will smith should've been living next to orcs not black "gangsters". in a world where we had an other like orcs racism likely wouldn;t exist.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

will smith should've been living next to orcs not black "gangsters". in a world where we had an other like orcs racism likely wouldn;t exist.

Your second sentence doesn't follow the first, and also doesn't make sense on its own. Why would the existence of one other preclude the oppression and discrimination against others? Do you imagine that oppression is just the result of arbitrary prejudice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Plenty of people have a sliding scale of racial hatred and the matter of an orc being real probably wouldn't stop them hating blacks.