Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Justified and it just didn't click for me. Seemed way too, I don't know, PG-13? Does it improve as the series progresses?

Considerably, yeah. The first few episodes feel kind of cheap. I think the fourth is where it starts to actually feel like Justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Justified and it just didn't click for me. Seemed way too, I don't know, PG-13? Does it improve as the series progresses?

Very much so

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Justified does that thing that so many shows have done where it mistakenly thinks it needs to be a procedural with individual stories told and wrapped up every episode. Once it drops that, the quality like immediately shoots straight up and stays that way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Section 9 posted:

Just watched Tall Men on Amazon Prime. From the cover it looked like a Slenderman knock-off movie, so I had low expectations, but it had a couple good reviews so why not.

I feel like cover image is a bit of bait and switch because it has nothing to do with Slenderman (aside maybe some thematic inspiration), but that's not a bad thing. It does have faceless men in suits that seem supernatural, but that's about it.

It's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it and I think people who are turned off by the Slenderman connection might miss out. It is definitely not what I expected. The brief description on Amazon is enough without giving spoilers.

However, I did just get off a binge of watching a bunch of Rifftrax stuff, so it could also be that my standards for what is good are skewed.

At first I thought you were talking about The Tall Man, which is legitimately a great movie.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tale of Tales was insane

Parachute
May 18, 2003
justified is by far the best of the "new-ish wave of cable serialized action dramas" if only because walton goggins makes everything he touches better.

also this guy:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At first I thought you were talking about The Tall Man, which is legitimately a great movie.

this movie is insanely underrated and i thought he was talking about it, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

this movie is insanely underrated and i thought he was talking about it, too.

Yeah, I'm not being sarcastic or anything when I say it's a great movie. I was expecting passable Blue Thriller action but it really stands out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mammal Sauce posted:

So, I never thought I'd make this request, but what are some good police procedurals that are streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?

This newfound love started when I watched The Wire, then Longmire, and I just finished up the fourth season of Bosch last night. Anything in that range of quality would be great.

I also watched Low Winter Sun while waiting on the fourth season of Bosch to be released, but it was iffy at best.

Twin Peaks :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wait, that's what I thought too. Now I'm just confused!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mammal Sauce posted:

So, I never thought I'd make this request, but what are some good police procedurals that are streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?

This newfound love started when I watched The Wire, then Longmire, and I just finished up the fourth season of Bosch last night. Anything in that range of quality would be great.

I also watched Low Winter Sun while waiting on the fourth season of Bosch to be released, but it was iffy at best.
If going classic is at all appealing, Hulu has Miami Vice and Hill Street Blues. I have not seen HSB but I gather it was very influential. Miami Vice though, holy poo poo. This show basically defined what the stereotypical 80s look was, but it’s so much more than that. It comes from a different era of 20+ episode seasons so there’s definitely some filler in there but the first two seasons have some legitimately amazing episodes. If you’ve never seen it I would recommend giving it a shot, although be warned that after the pilot (which is required viewing) it doesn’t get amazing until Edward James Olmos shows up.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mammal Sauce posted:

I am rewatching NYPD blue while finishing up paternity leave and I am enjoying it. And I am a huge fan of the wire and those other shows and I think it holds up pretty well. All the episodes are on Hulu

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Parachute posted:

also this guy:

Great example of a cockroach character.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Lycus posted:

Great example of a cockroach character.

he and varys from GoT are the perfect archetypes of this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

he and varys from GoT are the perfect archetypes of this

Also Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-files.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Wait, that's what I thought too. Now I'm just confused!

Looking up the poster for this and I'm just thinking there's no possible way this can be good.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

are you talking about :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Man_(2012_film) ?

i watched this a long time ago on netflix, and though i thought it had some unexpected turns, i didnt like it. the twists werent enough to make the movie good for me overall. i applaud them for trying something different, but i found the final message muddled. its been awhile, but it made me feel icky in the way they portrayed the rural poor.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Looking up the poster for this and I'm just thinking there's no possible way this can be good.

Yeah, the poster makes it look like a terrible Slenderman knock-off and it really isn’t that all. The titular characters heads are always in shadows or off camera so if they actually look like that you wouldn’t be able to tell.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started Justified last night and I like it so far. I'm really thinking about watching Miami Vice afterwards as I remember watching a few episodes during the original run and curious to see how it held up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mammal Sauce posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started Justified last night and I like it so far. I'm really thinking about watching Miami Vice afterwards as I remember watching a few episodes during the original run and curious to see how it held up.

Miami Vice is really loving good. The only problem is that some of the episodes aren't available streaming anywhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mammal Sauce posted:

Miami Vice is incredibly spotty, but when it's good, it's loving amazing. The pilot movie is some of Michael Mann's best work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Miami Vice had some great music too, that soundtrack cassette was one of my most prized possessions as a kid. Haven't rewatched on streaming, but has it fallen prey to music licensing issues like so many other shows?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Mammal Sauce posted:

Both Life and Southland are on Hulu I think. I really enjoyed them when they were airing. Life has a unique premise and Damien Lewis, unfortunately though it was cancelled prematurely. Southland is a bit grittier and has a good cast with Ben McKenzie, Michael Cudlitz, and Regina King. Both take place in LA, but have starkly different tones.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 25, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

are you talking about :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Man_(2012_film) ?

i watched this a long time ago on netflix, and though i thought it had some unexpected turns, i didnt like it. the twists werent enough to make the movie good for me overall. i applaud them for trying something different, but i found the final message muddled. its been awhile, but it made me feel icky in the way they portrayed the rural poor.

I am indeed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cithen posted:

Both Life and Southland are on Hulu I think. I really enjoyed them when they were airing. Life has a unique premise and Damien Lewis, unfortunately though it was cancelled prematurely. Southland is a bit grittier and has a good cast with Ben McKenzie, Michael Cudlitz, and Regina King. Both take place in LA, but have starkly different tones.

Life is more network-y, if that makes sense. Even the NBC season of Southland had some pretty complicated moral dilemmas going on, and it really ran with that as the series grew (and was cancelled and moved to TNT). I loved both, but for different reasons. Oh, Life also has Garret Dillahunt sometimes, villaining it up.

Terriers is a fantastic, one season show about two PIs, but I think it just went off streaming. :smith: One of my top ten shows.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I might’ve mentioned it when S1 was up, but S2 of Hap and Leonard is on Netflix now. Both seasons are kind of ‘self contained’ stories. S1 is about recovering long lost bank heist money and S2 is about solving a long string of child murders. Each season is only 6 eps so it’s not a huge time sink.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I might’ve mentioned it when S1 was up, but S2 of Hap and Leonard is on Netflix now. Both seasons are kind of ‘self contained’ stories. S1 is about recovering long lost bank heist money and S2 is about solving a long string of child murders. Each season is only 6 eps so it’s not a huge time sink.

Which is based off of the novels by Joe R. Lansdale, who also wrote the short story Bubba Ho-Tep

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Franchescanado posted:

Which is based off of the novels by Joe R. Lansdale, who also wrote the short story Bubba Ho-Tep

Bo foolin’! I never realized Lansdale wrote Bubba Ho-Tep

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

Bo foolin’! I never realized Lansdale wrote Bubba Ho-Tep

The DVD includes him reading the whole story. It's from his collection Writer of the Purple Rage

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer on Amazon and thought it was ok. It's way to close in tone to The Lobster and not as good.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 27, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ol' Yorgos has a lane, and he's sticking to it, and I can respect that. It's absolutely not my poo poo at all, but I can respect it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hap & Leonard is a great little show.

They made a S2 of 3%? I totally thought that was a one-and-done.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 27, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tainen posted:

I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer on Amazon and thought it was ok. It's way to close in tone to The Lobster and not as good.

Hmm. I loved Dogtooth but did not like the Lobster. Was gonna watch it but maybe I should skip it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is the Napoleon series on prime any good?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

They made a S2 of 3%? I totally thought that was a one-and-done.
For better or worse, Netflix seems to be taking the traditional tv network approach of continuing everything as long as people are watching.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mystes posted:

For better or worse, Netflix seems to be taking the traditional tv network approach of continuing everything as long as people are watching.

Are they still doing another season of 13 Reasons Why?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Are they still doing another season of 13 Reasons Why?

I think yes. Too bad they're not subtitling it "The Lost Tapes" or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

13 More Reasons Why That Aren't As Good Reasons But Are Still Reasons

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
13 Reasons Why I Know What You Did Last Summer

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Look Whose Reasons Now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Miami Vice is incredibly spotty, but when it's good, it's loving amazing. The pilot movie is some of Michael Mann's best work.

The trailer for Miami Vice (the one with that weird Jay-Z / Linkin Park mashup) is a loving masterwork.