Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Femtosecond posted:

lol I asked my contact in Japan about the Honda Z since I'd never heard of it before and I liked the response.

I still kinda want to get one because of how cute it is... :3:

At that price why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

At that price why not?

I'd be buying heaps of kei cars except for the fact that I have nowhere to store them and British Columbia's insurance system makes owning multiple cars expensive.

I might get one (maybe a Pao or Jimny?) for a daily driver for the autumn/winter due to the fact that Vancouver now has the most expensive gas in the continent at $1.60/L.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Going to destroy multiple clay bars on the exterior,

After using this, I will definitely shill this product. It will save you so much goddamn time and effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...=synthetic+clay

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ferremit posted:

Right until you experience the utter lack of horsepower that is the 2L-TE diesel. Toyota released the 1KZ-TE 3.0L TD engine in 1993, so Kaker SHOULD be able to get something with the ability to get out of its own way soon.

Whats the deal with importing halfcuts into the US? Same 25yr rule?

Cos if you've got a halfcut 3.0L turbo diesel surf, and a 3rd gen 4 runner, then you can drop the turbo diesel power train into the 4 runner. Thats how I built my 1992 hilux 2.8D into a 3.0TD

Which is odd because this Prado is faster than the Rugger and the """""real""""" Land Cruiser.

Dunno the rules on getting cut up cars but I'm sure you can buy just an engine no problem.

Larrymer posted:

After using this, I will definitely shill this product. It will save you so much goddamn time and effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...=synthetic+clay

I actually prefer the Mothers brand one because the backing is much more rigid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So what you're saying is that you were being a dramatic liar and will use one clay "bar" to clean up the exterior in like 5 minutes. :v:

I'll have to give the mother's version a try next time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ferremit posted:

Right until you experience the utter lack of horsepower that is the 2L-TE diesel. Toyota released the 1KZ-TE 3.0L TD engine in 1993, so Kaker SHOULD be able to get something with the ability to get out of its own way soon.

Whats the deal with importing halfcuts into the US? Same 25yr rule?

Cos if you've got a halfcut 3.0L turbo diesel surf, and a 3rd gen 4 runner, then you can drop the turbo diesel power train into the 4 runner. Thats how I built my 1992 hilux 2.8D into a 3.0TD

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with the pros/cons of import Toyota diesels. The 5VZ isn't some powerhouse though and admittedly I don't give a gently caress about power really. A bit of torque and A-to-B is fine with me.

Having said that, the idea of dropping a TD in my 3rd gen has got me all verklempt--I just wish I had the technical skill to make it happen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

So what you're saying is that you were being a dramatic liar and will use one clay "bar" to clean up the exterior in like 5 minutes. :v:

I'll have to give the mother's version a try next time.

The Prado looks worse than the other one and while these ~synthetic~ clay bars are worlds ahead of just plain ol clay they still get destroyed.

Imagine a car that has never been washed in 27 years and stored outside the whole time, that's what we're dealing with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

At least they weren't kept outside in Florida because then the paint and interior would be destroyed.

Man I wish I knew about those synthetic clay bars before, I just bought some lame regular clay bars not long ago :(

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Thanks for this. I was going to do some detailing tomorrow and I'm excited to try this out now.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
A kei van or car would be perfect for driving here in DC. The Delica is nice idea too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

KakerMix posted:

Which is odd because this Prado is faster than the Rugger and the """""real""""" Land Cruiser.

Dunno the rules on getting cut up cars but I'm sure you can buy just an engine no problem.

Real Landcruisers traditionally have been very slow.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I think I'm in love...

Price is $9500. I wonder how much it cost them from auction.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nohearum posted:

I think I'm in love...

There is no way they spent more than 3500 at auction for that.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

KakerMix posted:

There is no way they spent more than 3500 at auction for that.

Do you see many decent 2 door Pajero's in the auctions? I've looked a bit but most appear to be high mileage or R grade, which generally steers me away from bidding.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nohearum posted:

Do you see many decent 2 door Pajero's in the auctions? I've looked a bit but most appear to be high mileage or R grade, which generally steers me away from bidding.

Often enough yeah, usually a couple a week. I just bought one in fact

KakerMix posted:

Also I bought another car because why not.

1989 Mitsubishi Pajero turbo diesel with intercooler. Two door, neat thin red stripe all the way around the back, kinda not-my-style bush guard, blue as hell interior, AC and original stereo. $1865.71 :getin:

EDIT one owner, forgot about that bit.

For mileage on a diesel I am not at all afraid of anything 300,000 km (about 180,000 miles) and under. As long as it's been maintained.
You shouldn't steer away from R grade, R doesn't mean it's garbage it just means it might be, get an inspector out there and take a look.

EDIT

Daaaannngggg

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 28, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nohearum posted:

I think I'm in love...

That price is what we call "havin' a giraffe, mate". Even is utterly immaculate, it's still pricey.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:negative:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: I interpreted that wrong. At least it'll clean up nice :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

How the gently caress is there literally zero rust?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

How the gently caress is there literally zero rust?

Japan is a magical place.

This is the not-Prado J70 since it's cleaned up already, but the Prado looks just the same. This is why I was kinda confused why everyone was like 'ho ho ho get ready for DAYS with your suspension bub' but rolled with it anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Look at that nice little front elocker there. MMM.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

Japan is a magical place.

Dang, thinking about how many thousands you earned by getting pics of how pristine the body is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
gently caress R31s look cool as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9dOddqI5i0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I believe it was the first production car with active aero.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Extremely cool.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And they drove like my mom's Oldsmobile wagon :v:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Anyone ever hear of a Suzuki Mighty Boy? I think I need this

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-6Z9pks99o5lXymC.htm

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
3cyl mini el camino, what's not to love?

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!

everdave posted:

Did you see this one that was up last week?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-aIE4ezUTSArfAs.htm

If it had fender mirrors I would've bid on in. Not enough to win, though, so I don't feel too bad about missing out on it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

everdave posted:

They were sold in Australia back in the mid to late 80s. Make great mobile eskies/ice boxes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You Am I posted:

They were sold in Australia back in the mid to late 80s. Make great mobile eskies/ice boxes

Like a cooler full of beer?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Basil Fawlty posted:

If it had fender mirrors I would've bid on in. Not enough to win, though, so I don't feel too bad about missing out on it.

Nope this is first on earth I recall seeing. I’m going to try my hand at importing 3-4 cars after my divorce is final seeing if I can find a niche.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’m perpetually looking at JDM pickups, found a stylin’ Hilux.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Basil Fawlty posted:

Haha yeah I've seen Mighty Boys wearing that weird GTR body kit thing, looks pretty nice.

Mighty Boys themselves are neat, as far as I know the only kei class car-type pickup truck ever made.

The Meat Dimension posted:

I’m perpetually looking at JDM pickups, found a stylin’ Hilux.

holy poo poo

In Prado News:

It is cleaning up very nice but she hungers for clay bars

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 1, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:smithicide:

There's one of these for sale in this province for $18.5k, similar mileage, 7 years older.

Goddamnit Japan, give me av rusty one with a solid engine and trans that nobody loving wants. :argh:

E: I think I'm having either a heart attack or a stroke, somebody please help me.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 1, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I basically looked at every eligible vehicle today and that 22k km fj, the mighty boy and a 20k km daihatsu van were what stood out to me someone critique this. There was one Beat but it was R condition edit: there was a low mile Suzuki kei truck And a Nissan quad cab fire truck that were also interesting

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 1, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Just so you guys know this week is the "Golden Week" in Japan so there is going to be gently caress-all happening at the auctions. I'm still going to look of course but there is going to be so much less than normal.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well that explains why this seemed so easy to take a look at everything today lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How do the lists work on japancardirect? I save things to list A and nothing shows up. Am I doing something wrong or is their site as bad as I think it is?

also

KakerMix posted:

holy poo poo

that thing rules