Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

gently caress Weldry so hard. That mission was just Murphy's Law in action. I got loving clowned on by those turrets due to Poor Decisions.

Then the mech fight was just a comedy show. I didn't really want to get up close with the enemy mechs, but I didn't really want to just fall back. Behemoth getting cored demonstrated indecision wasn't going to get my anything. Although to be fair, she did plaster the first enemy, a Jenner. I was feeling pretty confident until oh hello Jagdmech and Trebuchet.

It didn't go well.

I'm happy with my merc company name and logo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lexorin posted:

Why isn't there a mod to keep ammo and heatsinks from counting as salvage?

I'm digging around in files right now, so let me tell you how I THINK you can fix that.

go to ???\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants and open SimGameConstants.json with notepad or notepad++ or something like that. You might want to make a backup copy first? There is a LOT of poo poo in here that could potentially be tweaked, and I bet a good chunk of it might break the game, so be careful.

Look for the salvage area in there. Find

pre:
	"DefaultChassisWeight" : 5,
        "DefaultWeaponWeight" : 6,
        "DefaultComponentWeight" : 3,
	"DefaultMechPartWeight" : 6,
I think this is the weighting for random salvage. I think DefaultComponentWeight is stuff like heatsinks and jump jets, not sure if that covers ammo or if that falls under weapons. Feel free to tinker! Don't blame me if you break stuff :v:

Speaking of tinkering, I am starting to kludge together a sandbox mode.

Still a lot of work to do. Farah is invisible but thats not too important. I gotta figure out how I want to balance the map difficulties by tweaking the global difficulty and local modifiers (though the latter requires editing each individual system's json) and I might even see if I can get the Directorate set up as a working faction to take jobs from, or at least against from the other powers.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Vargs posted:

Even if your LRM boat isn't getting attacked much, is 10 extra missiles per volley really worth stripping all of your armor? Especially since you can still only fit the usual 3 ammo packs, which I've found myself running dry even with a more standard 20 + 15 + 5 LRM setup.

Putting 3 ammo inside a 40 front armor/0 rear armor center torso is also absolute loving madness.

My glass cannon LRM-boat has been on north of 60 missions so far and has only lost one part, the LT with all the fancy LRMs in it - this was back when it had even less armor. And yes, 50 missiles is worth stripping the armor. The only threat is enemy LRMs or a light rush, and I run three close-range mechs that tear lights apart, and have high enough mobility to challenge any dedicated LRM craft.

I've run dry exactly once, and it was on an ice planet so I could poo poo out more missiles than usual, and my last missile salvo destroyed the last battlemech on the field.

This will probably not be as effective when I start seeing assaults, but it's been doing fine work since I got it after the storyline mission.

Where do you think I should put the ammo?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coldforge posted:

Invest in gunnery skill, watch your optimal range. Get gud :clint:

I mean it says it's an 85% chance to hit and it's literally the broad side of a barn. They're just bads :v:

Also I have twelve unfinished mechs argh

quote:

My glass cannon LRM-boat has been on north of 60 missions so far and has only lost one part, the LT with all the fancy LRMs in it - this was back when it had even less armor. And yes, 50 missiles is worth stripping the armor. The only threat is enemy LRMs or a light rush, and I run three close-range mechs that tear lights apart, and have high enough mobility to challenge any dedicated LRM craft.

I've run dry exactly once, and it was on an ice planet so I could poo poo out more missiles than usual, and my last missile salvo destroyed the last battlemech on the field.

This will probably not be as effective when I start seeing assaults, but it's been doing fine work since I got it after the storyline mission.

Where do you think I should put the ammo?

I switched my Centurion to fire 30 lrms a pop at Weldry and it was a hilarious cakewalk except the end where Arano decided to suicide rush the mechs and almost kill herself, I'm definitely going to go with this

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 28, 2018

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Anybody got any tips for keeping injuries down? I feel like I'm getting every pilot down to one health every mission, no matter what I do, and they're out of action so long I need to hire more pilots just to keep mechs in the field. Getting a lot of head hits and weird "last shot of the mission suddenly blowing off a whole side" critical things. It's early days yet so maybe it's something obvious.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dolash posted:

Anybody got any tips for keeping injuries down? I feel like I'm getting every pilot down to one health every mission, no matter what I do, and they're out of action so long I need to hire more pilots just to keep mechs in the field. Getting a lot of head hits and weird "last shot of the mission suddenly blowing off a whole side" critical things. It's early days yet so maybe it's something obvious.

Yeah I'm kind of wondering the same. I just had my first mission where no one caught random headshots for weeks off duty, it was pretty nice. Keep moving to keep the evasion charges up? That's my only thought. Along with max head armor all the drat time.

Maybe the key is to level up piloting for everyone and grab the evasive bonus passive?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

The performance is weird. I'm still packing a GTX 760 and getting a fairly consistent 40-50.

That's the card I have. Still haven't gotten the game yet, but I should be able to run it when/if I do.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Did anyone else have a lot of trouble in the Anvelt mission?

I took a Blackjack, Dragon, Vindicator with a PPC++ and a Shadow Hawk, and I walked away with the vindicator unharmed, and all other mechs completely destroyed.

I did win with a DOA onto a heavy mech with the vindicator though, so style points I guess?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dolash posted:

Get a dedicated LRM mech. A Centurion is a good early choice if you outfit it with an LRM20+15+5.

Also be less aggressive in general. Have the enemy approach you while your dudes are in guard mode, not the other way around.

That plus aggressively focus fire one enemy at a time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm really missing a JA2 interrupt or XCOM overwatch mechanic. I wish my guys on brace could shoot instead of sitting there and taking it. Suppose thats what reserving actions are for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arrath posted:

I'm really missing a JA2 interrupt or XCOM overwatch mechanic. I wish my guys on brace could shoot instead of sitting there and taking it. Suppose thats what reserving actions are for.

Yeah, if you have your dudes braced reserve until the enemy stumbles in and shoots at them then take your actions.

Also get Guts 1 for most of your pilots since it lets you shoot and brace at the same time as long as you don't move.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there an easy way to back out of a movement command? I like to fish around on the various little blips to check out the view cone and usually cancel out of it by switching to sprint then back to normal move.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is there an easy way to back out of a movement command? I like to fish around on the various little blips to check out the view cone and usually cancel out of it by switching to sprint then back to normal move.

Escape. I've been trying out tons of different movement distances to see which of the slightly differently shaded zone in my LoS cone means what for my hit chances.

Zore posted:

Yeah, if you have your dudes braced reserve until the enemy stumbles in and shoots at them then take your actions.

Also get Guts 1 for most of your pilots since it lets you shoot and brace at the same time as long as you don't move.

Okay sweet, I'll have to get me some of that. And guts never hurts what with the extra HP to soak random headshots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I wish you could interact with the environment a bit more. Blowing up trees to remove cover, for example. Maybe shoot certain cliffs to create ramps for non jumping mechs or to close narrow passages.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Causing landslides to close off narrow passages would be pretty awesome.

As well as using flamers or fancy incendiary missiles to burn up forests and inflict some nice heat damage.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
What's the point of the Dragon when you have Shadowhawks? If you fit jump jets on the Dragon, you actually lose out on about 1.5 tons of space for weapons. Both movement speeds are identical, the armor has a very, very slight advantage to the dragon, I guess. But the lowered initiative is enough of a downside to make me want to scrap this thing and field a second Shadowhawk.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
The game have become a lot easier for me when I realized that knuckling it up a motherfucking Robot in the face with my own Robot fist is a very valid tactic when you have other people shooting them in the face as you do so.

I turned Behemoth's mech into a brawling machine with melee bonuses mods. It's great.

I also do love my LRM15 with +2 Stability Damage. And AC/20 with +50% Crit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

At this point i'm wondering why I wouldn't want to bring one scout and three LRM boats to every mission

Hell, I've even already got a second Centurion sitting in the mech bay stripped down

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

At this point i'm wondering why I wouldn't want to bring one scout and three LRM boats to every mission

Hell, I've even already got a second Centurion sitting in the mech bay stripped down
Because that scout will die hilariously.

You probably need at least 2 mechs that can take hits and spot, since if you let the enemies focus one mech its probably going down. I've had the most success with a 2/2 combo of frontline heavily armored scouts and 2 in the back with LRMs/PPCs/Gauss Rifle

also some story missions totally gently caress the LRM strategy. Grave digging, I'm looking at you :argh:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
WELDRY STORE :unsmigghh:

Ciaphas posted:

- poo poo closes in eventually
- having just one mech in enemy range means it takes all the damage
- even if you keep it out of LOS, they'll still Sensor Lock your scout and hit it with lrms
- punching/ac20-ing poo poo is fun af (most important point)

(it's a great idea, but not totally viable against more than a single lance at once, probably)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the shadowhawk at the end of the 3 years later mission punched me in the head and killed me instantly :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair dos. I'm on one lightly armed Jenner on sensor lock duty, one LRM45 Centurion, Disco Stu the 7 ML Thunderbolt, and ol punchy mcShadow Hawk

I COULD pull that other centurion out of mothballs and replace the sensor locker with another LRM boat? :thinking:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

the shadowhawk at the end of the 3 years later mission punched me in the head and killed me instantly :mad:

:xcom:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Really, the most important thing against all LRM-boating is that LRMs themselves don't really hurt much. They hurt, sure, but it's 4 a rocket and a whole, massive salvo is probably going to do 80 assuming everything hits, which is only marginally better then a PPC or AC/10. It's about knocking poo poo over to get called shots on.

Which means something actually needs to have a big gun to do them on.

Also you run out of ammo pretty quick on anything that isn't an even numbered fight.

Dolash posted:

Check your armor values and see if it's particularly low on some mechs, the stock mechs are on the anemic side. More armor is better then an extra weapon for you, the campaign player. Other then that, simply try to avoid getting hit so much.

If you're still fielding mostly lights, many of them are fairly anemic. The Commando stands out as a tanky light, but otherwise focus fire from SRM carriers and the like will put some hella hurt on them and rip them to bits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I'm rethinking a second LRM boat, and am instead pondering an early game PPC / LL carrier. Any chassis worth looking at?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ciaphas posted:

Fair dos. I'm on one lightly armed Jenner on sensor lock duty, one LRM45 Centurion, Disco Stu the 7 ML Thunderbolt, and ol punchy mcShadow Hawk

I COULD pull that other centurion out of mothballs and replace the sensor locker with another LRM boat? :thinking:

Probably. The Shadow Hawk is the best scout that isn't a light, and it's not like you have to Sensor Lock every turn - once the fight closes in, units tend to move less and so generate less evasion. Also, melee will cause Unstable to dump evasion more often than not, and guess what medium starter mech is great at that as well...

Double CenturiLRM + Disco Thunderbolt + PunchHawk sounds like a good team. Here's my Hawk (that SRM6 is hosed up):

edit: if you can get/already got the Jagermech from Weldry, it's competent as a LL/PPC or AC5/AC10 sniper.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 28, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Really, the most important thing against all LRM-boating is that LRMs themselves don't really hurt much. They hurt, sure, but it's 4 a rocket and a whole, massive salvo is probably going to do 80 assuming everything hits, which is only marginally better then a PPC or AC/10. It's about knocking poo poo over to get called shots on.

Also you run out of ammo pretty quick on anything that isn't an even numbered fight.

Check your armor values and see if it's particularly low on some mechs, the stock mechs are on the anemic side. More armor is better then an extra weapon for you, the campaign player. Other then that, simply try to avoid getting hit so much.

If you're still fielding mostly lights, many of them are fairly anemic. The Commando stands out as a tanky light, but otherwise focus fire from SRM carriers and the like will put some hella hurt on them and rip them to bits.

Yeah, +damage LRM20s are the greatest damage increase you can get on a weapon. You go from 4 to 6 damage per missile which gets pretty nuts if you're making GBS threads out 45 or so of them.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

You don't need a big gun if your goal is to concentrate all of your medium laser shots onto a single component. The biggest problem with medium lasers is that they sandblast all of their damage across the entire mech. If you can concentrate all of their shots on a single part, they're massively more efficient than the big guns.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

Probably. The Shadow Hawk is the best scout that isn't a light, and it's not like you have to Sensor Lock every turn - once the fight closes in, units tend to move less and so generate less evasion. Also, melee will cause Unstable to dump evasion more often than not, and guess what medium starter mech is great at that as well...

Double CenturiLRM + Disco Thunderbolt + PunchHawk sounds like a good team. Here's my Hawk (that SRM6 is hosed up):

Thanks for that, I'm thinking I'll give that a whirl!

New but related question before I start refitting, I've got a Trebuchet -5N and Vindicator -1R in mothballs, can I do anything with those or shall I sell them?
(e)

Coucho Marx posted:

edit: if you can get/already got the Jagermech from Weldry, it's competent as a LL/PPC or AC5/AC10 sniper.

I've done Weldry but I have no Jager. Severe financial crunch after two bad contracts in a row made me firesale a lot of hardware.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Around 75% seems to be the sweet spot for armor, favoring the front parts of the mech.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having no luck whatsoever visiting those former star league planets. Are scavengers just random events? Of is the star league stuff only available after the main mission is over?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The vindi is good in the start of the game because glitch is probably in it, but has no real purpose when you start moving into heavier difficulty tiers. The trench bucket is just worse than the cent at missle boating that it's a bit silly.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I got a Stalker and made it an LRM boat with 2 LRM20s and 2 LRM10s for a 240 damage missile salvo. Before that I had a Jager A with 3x LRM15s and 1 LRM5. 200/240 damage for a missile salvo and instant unsteady from a mech in a safe position is pretty nice. Once you get called shot mastery and can dump most of the missiles on a single location, it's REALLY scary.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

b0lt posted:

You don't need a big gun if your goal is to concentrate all of your medium laser shots onto a single component. The biggest problem with medium lasers is that they sandblast all of their damage across the entire mech. If you can concentrate all of their shots on a single part, they're massively more efficient than the big guns.
On that note: even if you don't get the skills, Tactics is massive help with all kinds of called shots. You get Called Shot bonuses at Tactics 6 and 9; T6 most body part shots will be ~65%+, and headshots ~4-5%. At T9, body parts move up to ~80%+ and headshots get to ~17%! That's basically one hit for every SRM6!

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for that, I'm thinking I'll give that a whirl!

New but related question before I start refitting, I've got a Trebuchet -5N and Vindicator -1R in mothballs, can I do anything with those or shall I sell them?
(e)
The Treb's pretty jank, it actually has less free tonnage than the Centurions you already have. Vindicators are... fine, the stock one isn't awful as a makeshift sniper, especially if you give it a better LRM to go with its PPC.

Ciaphas posted:

I've done Weldry but I have no Jager. Severe financial crunch after two bad contracts in a row made me firesale a lot of hardware.
drat :(

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 28, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

This will backfire very badly for you

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

The vindi is good in the start of the game because glitch is probably in it, but has no real purpose when you start moving into heavier difficulty tiers. The trench bucket is just worse than the cent at missle boating that it's a bit silly.

There's something to be said for putting the best LRM-20 you have on the Trebuchet's arm mount, because arm mounts are more accurate.

That's literally the only reason though.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

Leave the game mechanics largely intact but make everything thematically Brigador

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Frida Call Me posted:

What's the point of the Dragon when you have Shadowhawks? If you fit jump jets on the Dragon, you actually lose out on about 1.5 tons of space for weapons. Both movement speeds are identical, the armor has a very, very slight advantage to the dragon, I guess. But the lowered initiative is enough of a downside to make me want to scrap this thing and field a second Shadowhawk.

The point of Dragons when you have shadowhawks is, the Dragon sells to shops for 200k more CBills than a Shadowhawk does.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's with this game and bizarre difficulty spikes? The mission where you have to destroy the dropship control mission throws you against a TON of enemies with a time limit and it was impossible for me to win that poo poo - every mech is way tougher and hits way harder than your stuff and you have to take care of ALL of them while hauling rear end to the other end of the map. Yeah, no.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm doing an escort mission and I suddenly understand all the "this is too slow" complaints.