Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

At this point i'm wondering why I wouldn't want to bring one scout and three LRM boats to every mission

Hell, I've even already got a second Centurion sitting in the mech bay stripped down

I roll one heavy LRM boat, one mixed LRM/direct fire (2x LRM15 + 2xML + 1x AC5), an AC20 breaching shot "Please obliterate this torso for me now" mech, and then a max jumpjet grasshopper with a billion guns to punch the poo poo out of things.

The only reason I don't roll two heavy LRM boats is that I want a mix of direct fire power to more closely focus fire individual segments when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

John Charity Spring posted:

1. Ability to save mech loadouts
2. Ability to earmark a work order and then actually commit to it after coming back to the mechbay, or even better let you access the store directly from the mechbay
3. Ability to buy/sell more than one of each item at a time
4. Ability to drag and drop your mechs in the mechbay to re-arrange the ordering. This feels especially necessary once you have all three mechbays open

Honestly surprised this poo poo isn't in already. Also very happy I backed but it needs these QOL improvements to be as Triple I as SRHK.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Azran posted:

What's with this game and bizarre difficulty spikes? The mission where you have to destroy the dropship control mission throws you against a TON of enemies with a time limit and it was impossible for me to win that poo poo - every mech is way tougher and hits way harder than your stuff and you have to take care of ALL of them while hauling rear end to the other end of the map. Yeah, no.

Panzyr, right? You turned the turrets on? Because they ripped poo poo up for me.

I got three mechs (sniper Jager, Shadow Hawk, Centurion LRboat) to take the obvious path down, mostly just stopping and shooting whatever they came across, while my other Shadow Hawk with near-max armour and max JJs blitzed around the top of the map, avoiding what it could and taking out the contol building with plenty of turns left over.

Cirofren posted:

Honestly surprised this poo poo isn't in already. Also very happy I backed but it needs these QOL improvements to be as Triple I as SRHK.

Like a lot of people have already said, this game is basically HBS's Shadowrun Returns - good proof of concept, but buggy and a bit incomplete. A month of patches should make it better, and (as long as it sold well enough), whatever 'Dragonfall' ('Mechfall? Battletechfall? Clanfall?) they make next will likely be excellent.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 28, 2018

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Coucho Marx posted:

Panzyr, right? You turned the turrets on? Because they ripped poo poo up for me.

I got three mechs (sniper Jager, Shadow Hawk, Centurion LRboat) to take the obvious path down, mostly just stopping and shooting whatever they came across, while my other Shadow Hawk with near-max armour and max JJs blitzed around the top of the map, avoiding what it could and taking out the contol building with plenty of turns left over.

This is exactly what I did for that one, too. On some storyline missions, it's more important to bee-line the objective instead of trying to kill every enemy.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Erd posted:

1, when it's only my mechs acting in a phase, it shouldn't tell me that it is my turn and take control away after each individual move.
2, if you are going to have a button that changes the pattern on a mech, maybe have it on a screen where it isn't cut off by grey menus from the waist down? I also wouldn't mind rotating the mech to see what the pattern looks like from any other angle.

That and you should be able to give mechs custom paint jobs to make your aces stand out. Cohesion is great but sometimes you just want it to look like a flying circus.

Forza paint system pls thx

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just ran a 1.5-star mission consisting entirely of a locust... and an underarmored thunderbolt. :getin:

what i'm saying is i have my first 65-ton mech

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You HAVE to melee the closest enemy if there are two or more melee targets, correct?

Coucho Marx posted:

Like a lot of people have already said, this game is basically HBS's Shadowrun Returns - good proof of concept, but buggy and a bit incomplete. A month of patches should make it better, and (as long as it sold well enough), whatever 'Dragonfall' ('Mechfall? Battletechfall? Clanfall?) they make next will likely be excellent.

Yup, the turrets got a lucky kill on the Jenner but most of them just missed most of their shots or spread out armor damage across the enemy formation. I just began the campaign again, I feel like I've wasted way too much time and money and I was supposed to be better equipped for this mission. I hadn't checked for ++ weapons so most of my missiles were doing 2 to 4 damage while theirs did 10.

The enemy mechs just congregated at the bottom of the ramp going down into the valley and their missile salvos just got wound after wound on my pilots. I'll see about grinding a bit more next time.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 28, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It seems that my computer doesn't meet the system requirements. I can't even get to the main menu.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Frida Call Me posted:

Behold. This is what peak performance looks like.

:squawk:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Good lord LRM carriers are brutal!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The best I can field is 30 LRM's/salvo right now, and even that is pretty drat handy. I'm sad to read that Trebs aren't any good, tho. :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was against the last mech with 3 of my own and deferred my turn against it and then called shot it and my entire team got to take two rounds against it because called shot knocks back target's next initiative.

Like it's such a simple thing but my god I felt like a genius. Also I was brutally confused how people were making melee combat work, but if you pull back and let the enemy engage into you they will cover half of the no mans land themselves, leaving you a turn at worst from fisticuffs, and stripping evasion in one punch is beautiful set up. Like so much of the combat works better if you aren't aggressing.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
The other big 'oh hey that's clever' thing you can do (or at least I found clever) was actually making use of terrain as cover. Obviously this isn't a cover shooter, but it's really often easy to hide your mechs behind some rocks or the slope of a hill and get the enemy to come close. Works even better with JJs, as you have so much more control over angles of attack from there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Azran posted:

You HAVE to melee the closest enemy if there are two or more melee targets, correct?

Yup, the turrets got a lucky kill on the Jenner but most of them just missed most of their shots or spread out armor damage across the enemy formation. I just began the campaign again, I feel like I've wasted way too much time and money and I was supposed to be better equipped for this mission. I hadn't checked for ++ weapons so most of my missiles were doing 2 to 4 damage while theirs did 10.

The enemy mechs just congregated at the bottom of the ramp going down into the valley and their missile salvos just got wound after wound on my pilots. I'll see about grinding a bit more next time.

Knocking enemy mechs down before the turrets act is incredibly helpful, easily doable since the turrets act last in every init phase- The turrets will just called shot their CTs and help you finish them off.
Between all 4 of your mechs, there should be at least two built that can deal enough stability damage to guarantee a knockdown every turn if they focus fire against a non-braced target. You basically just reserve enough so that the enemy has to act and lose their bracing, you pick someone to knock down, and then your other two mechs toss called shots.

It's not a way that gets you a ton of salvage, but the timed mission isn't a time to worry about trying to aim at side torsos instead of CTs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh yeah, my only missile weapons were two LMLRs. :downs: I'll keep that in mind then.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

So can someone explain to me exactly what you do with missile boats other than have "over the horizon mech with zero armor and all the missiles and heat sinks you could want." Are you stripping evasion with multi target, stripping armor from limbs to focus them, hitting the centre torso or targeting heads mostly?

Lot of people talking about missile boats not entirely sure what the point is other than super long range lots of guns.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 28, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Two LRM 15s is 60 stability damage if you don't have the +stab damage version, if you have a couple +1s then that climbs all the way to 90. That's way more than enough to force most things you see over the unsteady line, then anything else will push them over the edge.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
So I barely squeaked through one a mission because I tried to pilot kill a quickdraw while their buddies kept shooting at me

(1 HP CT Structure, Glitch was saying they could see daylight through their armour and... for once I think I agree with the line)
Meanwhike Dekker's unscathed despite being essentially in front of everyone, like, jeez, share your armor you jerk, you already stole all the mech kills.
I'm glad there's a fairly tried and true way to force pilot kills (on moderate durability pilots at least), via knocking off a leg (to force a knockdown) and each side torso, but you have to be really good at managing your enemy's facing, have some good fire control, and be a bit lucky or else you'll just core out the other person. Too bad I am pretty much permanently broke and fixing/healing stuff to field the mechs I salvage like everyone else in the galaxy, apparently!

By the way, does anyone know if ace pilot works on melee attacks? Because if it does, double light movement (phase 1 -> phase 4) is pretty :getin: , considering you can melee-alpha a mech twice in the back before running off, if you do it correctly, if not, double regular alphas (e.g from a jenner) still seems really good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Urthor posted:

So can someone explain to me exactly what you do with missile boats other htan have "over the horizon mech with zero armor and all the missiles and heat sinks you could want." Are you stripping evasion with multi target, stripping armor from limbs to focus them, hitting the centre torso or targeting heads mostly?

\Lot of people talking about missile boats not entirely sure what the point is other than super long range lots of guns.

Strip evasion with your regular dudes.

Spam missiles at your desired target, noting when they are likely to be activated and thus recharge their stability bar.

Knock mechs down.

Have everyone else get free called shots on the now knocked down mech.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arrath posted:

The best I can field is 30 LRM's/salvo right now, and even that is pretty drat handy. I'm sad to read that Trebs aren't any good, tho. :(

My trebuchet is running as an LRM boat, and it's great! He doesn't secure the kills, but I've got a great system where the missile boat dumps missiles on something not entrenched, the sniper slings some AC rounds into it and knocks it down, then the two brawlers core it (or leg it for salvage) while it's on the ground. I couldn't find a way to make the trebuchet work well other than that, but it's been great so far as the LRM boat!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah LRMs are all about risk free knock down. If you see +stab dmg versions snatch them up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Coucho Marx posted:

The other big 'oh hey that's clever' thing you can do (or at least I found clever) was actually making use of terrain as cover. Obviously this isn't a cover shooter, but it's really often easy to hide your mechs behind some rocks or the slope of a hill and get the enemy to come close. Works even better with JJs, as you have so much more control over angles of attack from there.

This is what makes the second piloting ability so powerful. You can reserve a light or medium to the end of the order, move out and shoot, then shoot again, then break line of sight, all without the enemy ever getting a chance to engage them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're not sure how LRM boating works just march your Orion out into the open and watch as you get pounded by missiles from every direction, fall over and get cored.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Oh alright so it's just play the knock it down game with every mech easy.

So your early game lance is 1 Centurion LRM Boat, then the rest are basically just midrange mediums who kite and strip evasion, so they can use pretty much any weapons?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Arrath posted:

Someone is lying to you. My trebuchet with 2 + launchers owns bones and has for about 10 missions where it hasn't been hit yet.

I did drop a ML for an extra ton of ammo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Urthor posted:

So can someone explain to me exactly what you do with missile boats other than have "over the horizon mech with zero armor and all the missiles and heat sinks you could want." Are you stripping evasion with multi target, stripping armor from limbs to focus them, hitting the centre torso or targeting heads mostly?

Lot of people talking about missile boats not entirely sure what the point is other than super long range lots of guns.

It depends on if you want to use them to try and salvage mechs, or if you want to just murder as fast as possible.
For either, you want to reserve until after your victim's moved.
For salvaging, then, you want to blast it full on with non-called shot missiles to instantly fill it's stability bar. You want to do this first because you really don't want to focus damage and risk killing a second before you want to, so shooting the missiles before any holes are in the enemy armor is a good thing.

Then any of your other mechs should aim for a R/L torso with single hit high damage weapons that do stability damage- AC5/10/20/PPC. Ideally you kill the torso (pilot hit) and knock it over (pilot hit). Then you can let it get up and knock it over again with a called shot to blow up a leg (If you called shot a leg from the side arc you have a way way way better chance to hit it). That's 4 hits which typically kills the non-guts specced pilots.

For straight up killing, you want to reverse the order. Have your brawly mechs to ideally blow an armor hole/strip evasion stacks first. Then liberally apply missiles everywhere, usually critting the poo poo out of whatever section is open and maybe knocking the target down if it was already unsteady. You can called shot on the missile mech too for good measure, and it's usually really really good because missile weapons have massive raw damage, it's just usually un-focused. Good LRM pilots have pumped tactics, too, so you get the called shot and indirect fire bonuses.

I don't ever explicitly target heads with my called shots, but now that I have some TAC9 pilots I might try it.

Focusing fire is almost always the way to go, as well, unless you have two targets that are missing armor in multiple sections- Then abuse the poo poo out of multi-target to hopefully crit them to death.

Urthor posted:

Oh alright so it's just play the knock it down game with every mech easy.

So your early game lance is 1 Centurion LRM Boat, then the rest are basically just midrange mediums who kite and strip evasion, so they can use pretty much any weapons?

I rolled with Cent LRM boat 2x lrm15/1xlrm-10/3t ammo, twin Shadow Hawks (a 2d and 2h) with SRMs and ML/SL on the 2d and SRMs + a LL on the 2h, and then an Enforcer with AC20/3 medium lasers until Panzyr when I finally got a heavy from something.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 28, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So , that Medusa... got some Christian Bale Batman vibes on him.

Best glitch line tonight is "No problem, I've got enough guns for everyone!"

God I love her.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DiHK posted:

So , that Medusa... got some Christian Bale Batman vibes on him.

Best glitch line tonight is "No problem, I've got enough guns for everyone!"

God I love her.

"You get a headshot, and you get a headshot, and you get a headshot!" she says, as she headshots Grim Sybil and gets me a quickdraw.

This woman is going to get shot in the face at some point and I will be sad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arcturas posted:

Good lord LRM carriers are brutal!

I encountered an SRM one that had ten SRM6es. I could have gone to make a sandwich while it shot my guy up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop loving coring the mechs I'm trying to loot you fucks there's no room left on this stupid ship for more thirds of a mech.

We're drowning in mech arms

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

The game is trying REALLY loving hard to kill Glitch. Her mech has taken *at least* two headshots every single mission for the last five or so missions I've brought her on. Not even called shots, not even her mech getting knocked down, just straight random medium laser or missile rolls. :psyduck:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
2 skull mission, OpFor is a Locust... and an Awesome. Wipe out the Locust. Reserve my actions for a bit, wait for the Awesome to move. Run Dekker and his Firestarter in to give the Awesome 50 heat. Next turn, Dekker hits him with 50 more heat, forcing a shutdown. Then Glitch uses the AC/20 in her Hunchback to make the Awesome's head go buh-bye.

I have never been so happy to have jacked up the salvage contract so I get three priority slots. Free Awesome, baby!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ciaphas posted:

Based on a reddit post about what configuration values affect animation speeds and accels, I decided I didn't want to edit all those loving files to find a nice value.

So I wrote a lovely little app in an hour to do it for me.

Backup your BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\movement folder in your Battletech directory first, then run totally not a virus dot exe from the zip file, enter a speed multiplier, click Update, and voila, next time you enter a mission the animations will be sped (or slowed, you madman) by that much.

(edit) blah blah blah I don't guarantee it won't burn down your internet blah MIT license blah. But it worked a treat for me and a mate.

How do I point it at the right path? It can't find my GOG install and looks at the wrong drive anyway.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've got a Friendly Canadian Mom pilot and in the last two missions she's one-shot punched the heads off two heavy mechs in her Wolverine. The associated voice clips are loving phenomenal.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I managed to get an intact Jagermech from a story mission. How do you make autocannons work when they have so much mass? The default setup (2xAC/2 2xAC/5) does okay damage and stability, but the loss of armour and mobility is... not great. Plus you still need a spotter to make use of the increased range since you can only see, what, 300 meters ahead on a sunny day?

After barely surviving a mission rated 1.5/5 where I went up against EIGHT light mechs (two of them Panthers sniping with PPCs), which took over a month to fix the damage, I can't justify skimping on armour. On the other hand, it has four support weapon slots, so I was thinking of loading up on flamers and punching things.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I edited the files to make AC/2 cannons the same tonnage as M Lasers, and I still barely use them, but at least I'll consider it. I have never played any other mech game so I have no idea if this is normal, but I feel like ballistic weapons are terribly balanced in general. Tonnage is the #1 thing that you concern yourself with when outfitting a mech, and if a weapon has immense tonnage it has to justify every single point it takes up.

Maybe they knew stability is incredibly powerful? But you already have the freedom to PPC and LRM your way to victory so it's not like ballistics are a secret combo or anything.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm digging around in files right now, so let me tell you how I THINK you can fix that.

go to ???\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants and open SimGameConstants.json with notepad or notepad++ or something like that. You might want to make a backup copy first? There is a LOT of poo poo in here that could potentially be tweaked, and I bet a good chunk of it might break the game, so be careful.

Look for the salvage area in there. Find

pre:
	"DefaultChassisWeight" : 5,
        "DefaultWeaponWeight" : 6,
        "DefaultComponentWeight" : 3,
	"DefaultMechPartWeight" : 6,
I think this is the weighting for random salvage. I think DefaultComponentWeight is stuff like heatsinks and jump jets, not sure if that covers ammo or if that falls under weapons. Feel free to tinker! Don't blame me if you break stuff :v:

Speaking of tinkering, I am starting to kludge together a sandbox mode.

Still a lot of work to do. Farah is invisible but thats not too important. I gotta figure out how I want to balance the map difficulties by tweaking the global difficulty and local modifiers (though the latter requires editing each individual system's json) and I might even see if I can get the Directorate set up as a working faction to take jobs from, or at least against from the other powers.

That worked out! Although I'm not sure if it prevents you from being gifted upgrade items as well, but it also seems like the chance to get those as gift is pretty limited anyway.

Anyway, I changed the components weight to zero then it autocorrected it to nk - "DefaultComponentWeight" : nk,

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I still felt like AC/2s weren't worth using, but AC/5s were a good workhorse weapon for most of my mediums. AC/20 is still hilarious, and haven't really played with a 10 yet. I spent a long time on desert planets so the AC/5 was still favourable to PPCs.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

For those of you experiencing constant headshots, put jump jets on everybody and keep moving. I've only had one cockpit explode so far (RIP Hero) and I'm just now hitting four skull missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I still felt like AC/2s weren't worth using, but AC/5s were a good workhorse weapon for most of my mediums. AC/20 is still hilarious, and haven't really played with a 10 yet. I spent a long time on desert planets so the AC/5 was still favourable to PPCs.

Mordecai posted:

I managed to get an intact Jagermech from a story mission. How do you make autocannons work when they have so much mass? The default setup (2xAC/2 2xAC/5) does okay damage and stability, but the loss of armour and mobility is... not great. Plus you still need a spotter to make use of the increased range since you can only see, what, 300 meters ahead on a sunny day?

After barely surviving a mission rated 1.5/5 where I went up against EIGHT light mechs (two of them Panthers sniping with PPCs), which took over a month to fix the damage, I can't justify skimping on armour. On the other hand, it has four support weapon slots, so I was thinking of loading up on flamers and punching things.

Double AC/10s, three ammo, double MLs in a Jagermech, rest in armour (only a little (25-40) in the back). Have it sit back a bit and snipe, and move up to hit with the MLs when it's safe to do so. A lack of missile slots means it's dicey up close, since SRMs are so nice in a brawl.

AC/2s are a bit meh, as they're very heavy for what they do, and all that range is generally wasted. AC/5s are a nice upgrade as the only cost two tons more for nearly double the damage, and their range is still superb. AC/5s and 10s and PPCs are all very similar. For a Jagermech, mounting three AC/5s, two AC/10s, or two PPCs (and being able to fire all of them every turn) is going to cost you about the same weight anyway - the ACs are very heavy and need ammo, but the mech's native heatsinks can completely negate their heat; while two PPCs needs at least a dozen heatsinks just to not generate a ludicrous amount of heat every turn.

PPCs seem better as one-offs, when you don't need too many extra heatsinks to take care of the heat.