Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Looks like there's a lot to look forward to at least, glad to hear about tanking too. I haven't been able to get into tanking this expansion, felt alot easier years ago.

I had one more question to ask, If you play with a friend is there any mechanics to let them catch up to you in levels or can you just switch to a class that's closer to their level?

Thanks again everyone. :)

edit: VV That's good to know, I read a lil bit about it outside of here and got a better gist of what to do. Think thats all the questions from me today.

CruzerZERO fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CruzerZERO posted:

Looks like there's a lot to look forward to at least, glad to hear about tanking too. I haven't been able to get into tanking this expansion, felt alot easier years ago.

I had one more question to ask, If you play with a friend is there any mechanics to let them catch up to you in levels or can you just switch to a class that's closer to their level?

Thanks again everyone. :)

All dungeons and trials have an automatic level sync that'll take you down to a predefined level/stat cap if you enter with a class that's above that particular level. You can set an option in the Duty Finder to let you run a dungeon "unsynced" (that is, without the level/stat cap), so a particularly high level person can help someone else out through dungeons/trials if the queues are too long.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Yes, but you can't rely on it because True North has a hell of a cooldown. One that you become painfully aware of in fights where the boss likes to slightly twitch or turn arbitrarily for some mechanics.

Maybe you can't rely on it :greenangel:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bolow posted:

Maybe you can't rely on it :greenangel:

When we cleared Guardian and I didn't miss any, I expected a parade or something.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
So I'm at what I assume to be the end of Heavensward, and uh, wow did the introduction of that samurai guy kinda clash with the fact that Papalymo died like 5 minutes ago

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On the other hand, that sets the tone of Stormblood very well.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

SonicRulez posted:

Did you never cast Suiton and read what the buff says?

Pretty much. I mostly levelled NIN via beast tribe quests in both HW and SB, and the odd Sastasha run to absorb challenge log XP, so I never bothered to learn the job properly.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

quit before you are forced to use ten chi jin

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Scathe is instant but I was over 50 before I remembered it exists.

I feel like a good way to make Scathe useful would be to have it reset the timer for the current state of Astral/Umbral. But that's just me looking for more safeguards against losing Enochian by trying to squeeze out too many Fire IVs for the fiftieth time.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I just hit 50 as ninja and just can't even imagine how this works at 70. it's too much.

Also the level 30 quest is kind of funny to do after you've cleared all the msq. You're a refugee from Doma? Yeah, I took care of that, like, a month ago. where you been.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tangents posted:

I just hit 50 as ninja and just can't even imagine how this works at 70. it's too much.

Also the level 30 quest is kind of funny to do after you've cleared all the msq. You're a refugee from Doma? Yeah, I took care of that, like, a month ago. where you been.

You can have a story conversation in the MSQ with Yugiri as she has her veil on explaining that people would panic if they knew what she really looked like and she hints that she's a ninja but thinks people would be terrified and not understand that, either.

While you're potentially an au ra ninja yourself sitting across the table from her.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tangents posted:

Ninja was way better in both ARR and HW than it is in stormblood. It's probably the only job I think got decidedly worse after the revamp.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

slev posted:

I won't touch NIN again until it's time to level to 80 in 5.0, so hopefully I never will use ten chi jin.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Tangents posted:

Armor Crush makes Ninja waaaaaaaaaaay more fun imo. Not having to use every third Mudra just to refresh Huton is underappreciated, until you get synced below 54. Ten Chi Jin is awful though.

They do need to just make Mudras single oGCDs that are on a single shared cooldown, like Bloodletter and Rain of Death are, however. There's really no point in keeping the combo system outside of current Ten Chi Jin relying on it, other than to trip people up during lag. If I were in Yoshi-P's shoes, I'd just flat out remove Hyoton first of all. Change Kassatsu and the current Ninjutsu so that Fuma becomes Raiton and Katon becomes Doton in addition to the forced critical and cooldown refresh, and smooth out the potencies. Bam. 4 oGCD skills in Fuma(Raiton,) Katon(Doton,) Huton, and Suiton. Replace the four current Ninjutsu combo skills of Mudra, Ten, Chi, and Jin.

I've also thought that they should make Suiton and Trick Attack work like Earthly Star does. If anyones not aware, when you place Earthly Star, the ability on your hotbar is replaced by a trigger to detonate the AoE. However, the cooldown for Earthly Star starts immediately after it's used - not after you trigger it. Trick Attack should really be tied to Suiton the same way - use Suiton and Trick Attacks cooldown is tracked from that point on, not when you use it itself. This way it just lines up immediately every time.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

pupuru posted:

So I'm at what I assume to be the end of Heavensward, and uh, wow did the introduction of that samurai guy kinda clash with the fact that Papalymo died like 5 minutes ago

If I remember right, these two events were like 3 months apart in real time. But yeah that's gotta be some mood whiplash doing it now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ninja comes together at 54 for sure. Once you get Armor Crush, it's all uphill. Ten Chi Jin is hard to utilize and I don't really think it's fun, but the rest of the SB Ninja kit is great. It's definitely very busy and I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling overwhelmed, but I like having a lot of buttons to press.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So tomorrow is the GREATEST ROYAL RUMBLE, so I'm going to celebrate by running Lost Canals/Aquapolis all day long. So long as there is wrasslin, I'll be mapping. Keep a lookout.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

As a barely lv 55 NIN myself, what is the issue with Ten Chi Jin?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's a dps check based on your ping

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nomadic Scholar posted:

TCJ is a skill that resets your ninjitsu cooldown and lets you use three ninjitsus in a row while also making the attacks stronger. It does this really awkwardly by forcing you to take no other actions while you're using it. You also can't use the same thing multiple times. It's really easy to gently caress up using.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You also can't *move* while using TCJ or it ends early. It's just a really clunky and unpleasant skill to use but you kind of have to if you want to actually try to do your best.

I kind of wish they went the opposite direction and let you can mudras without having your other skills interrupt them. But then the optimal ninja rotation would probably become some ridiculous piano piece with constant weaving of partial ninjutsu casts between GCDs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

slev posted:

Ten Chi Jin and over 150ms latency :suicide: (it's not like Mudras/any off-GCD stuff is actually fun like that to begin with)

I like the general gameplay of NIN but overall

TheHeadSage posted:

I won't touch NIN again until it's time to level to 80 in 5.0, so hopefully I never will use ten chi jin.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mordiceius posted:

So tomorrow is the GREATEST ROYAL RUMBLE, so I'm going to celebrate by running Lost Canals/Aquapolis all day long. So long as there is wrasslin, I'll be mapping. Keep a lookout.

When are you starting ?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And people laughed when I said I'd only play NIN after keyboard macroing all the mudra poo poo. :allears:

I love the idea of mudras, but in practice...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I like ninja because of the flip

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Ninja was way better in both ARR and HW than it is in stormblood. It's probably the only job I think got decidedly worse after the revamp.

Machinist says hello from it's place planted head-first in the loving ground like a nail from the hammering it's taken since the transition to Stormblood.

(To be fair, I like a lot of Ninja, but Ten Chi Jin is horseshit and I hope it gets seriously retooled in 5.0)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

What are you going to do during the prayer breaks?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Freeing my post, maybe

edit: worked

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Man I'll never forget queueing into my first 70 dungeon (it was Temple of the Fist) after Stormblood launched, when we were all fresh-faced, newly job quested adventurers in our 3.0 AF and full of that expansion hype.

Me: Monk feels awesome guys! Chakra generation for DAYS and all the Forbidden Chakras I can fire!
Paladin: Holy poo poo guys look at my big rear end shield technique this OWNS!
White Mage: THIN AIR THIN AIR ENDLESS HOLIES
Mechanist: This sucks. :saddowns:

orcane posted:

always remember or never forget?

It was early!

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 27, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Asimo posted:

And people laughed when I said I'd only play NIN after keyboard macroing all the mudra poo poo. :allears:

I love the idea of mudras, but in practice...

I'm still going to laugh at you

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Mordiceius posted:

Do we have to watch that bad wrasslin with you? That's a deal breaker for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Man I'll never remember queueing into my first 70 dungeon (it was Temple of the Fist) after Stormblood launched, when we were all fresh-faced, newly job quested adventurers in our 3.0 AF and full of that expansion hype.

Me: Monk feels awesome guys! Chakra generation for DAYS and all the Forbidden Chakras I can fire!
always remember or never forget?

either way, :laffo:

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

A bad case of unclear benefit mixed with netcode issues, built on the awful "form over function" foundation that is the mudra system.

Netcode issues because as with all mudra, you can't mash them to slightly compensate for higher latency: you have to hit them all exactly once, in the shortest time possible while still paying attention at the game registering every single cast, and repeating if lag eats one.

The other thing I really don't like is having a skill that isn't immediately clear if it's worthwhile to use in most situations: double damage ninjutsu and a cooldown reset looks fine on paper, but what about the gcds I lose? What about the autoattacks? Now I have to measure how long it takes to complete the TCJ cast, taking latency into account, add the potency for lost actions up and compare, and we're already in spreadsheet land. Then you start thinking about using it efficiently, and you open Pandora's vase with boss movement, mechanics, suiton substitution for trick attack lineup (is it better to Suiton - TA - TCJ or Fuma - TCJ - TA? gently caress knows, I guess you'll have to make a spreadsheet or read the one made by someone else!), withholding cooldowns with ninki overcapping and the thresholds for ninjutsu reset.

Sounds like a lot of work for a single dumb skill, and it is. All of this eventually gets resolved and clear if you keep playing NIN and like optimizing, but it absolutely requires knowing the fight in advance, or doing content where no one cares if you sit in the orange while making anime hand gestures. Also, spreadsheets.

The upside is it's actually an extremely strong cooldown, that lets you give summoners a run for their money in dungeons, and will lead to noticeable increases in dps when you finally get it right on a difficult fight, but it feels more like the joy of being finally relieved of a sharp pain than actual satisfaction.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

You know, I understand they're going for the French angle with House Fortemps and the rest, but the name reminded me of Bon Temps and now all I can picture all the frenchy Ishgardians as are southern dandies.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Man I'll never forget queueing into my first 70 dungeon (it was Temple of the Fist) after Stormblood launched, when we were all fresh-faced, newly job quested adventurers in our 3.0 AF and full of that expansion hype.

It was early!

A bit tangential but I'll never forget how fun/cool it felt to be a max level RDM early on. The one upshot to Raubahn (Extreme) was that I was able to do 50-60 before it got resolved and got to keep up with the majority of players. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

A bit tangential but I'll never forget how fun/cool it felt to be a max level RDM early on. The one upshot to Raubahn (Extreme) was that I was able to do 50-60 before it got resolved and got to keep up with the majority of players. :v:

:same:

I will never feel the elation of having all my name days come at once

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tangents posted:

The Level 30 - 50 Monk quests involve your mentor reeing about how he wants to do anything it takes to free Ala Mhigo. :v:

Cythereal posted:

You can have a story conversation in the MSQ with Yugiri as she has her veil on explaining that people would panic if they knew what she really looked like and she hints that she's a ninja but thinks people would be terrified and not understand that, either.

While you're potentially an au ra ninja yourself sitting across the table from her.

I think she does comment on it if you're a ninja, though, at one point during ARR.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay. Wrasslin is happening. That means maps needs to happen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The quests are obviously like if you've done the DRG stuff post HW, it's a flashback, the WoL did that stuff ages ago duh. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, having started playing as RDM in ARR, I completely forgot that X'rhun mentioned Zenos.