Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

sawatari nearly beats the final boss and it owns & is basically the only shining moment of excellence in murky dregs of late arc-v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

actually the stuff with yuri is pretty good & he might be hornier than sergei during his final duel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hjalmar posted:

actually the stuff with yuri is pretty good & he might be hornier than sergei during his final duel

Is Yuri Fusion Yuya? Cause if so he seemed pretty horny for those vore plant monsters when he summoned his dragon.

Lotta wet, dripping, lovingly rendered mouths on that thing.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

yeah and he gets progressively hornier until the end

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hjalmar posted:

yeah and he gets progressively hornier until the end

IMA KOSO HITOTSU NI
HITOTSU NI
HITOTSU NI
HITOTSU NI
HITOTSU NI

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Did Vrains ever get good or is it still super mediocre? I just remembered I haven't watched an episode for about 2 months now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The man Gongenzaka was always the coolest. I can see why you might think he doesn't deserve Superheavies if you're watching the dub though, that loving voice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mysticblade posted:

Did Vrains ever get good or is it still super mediocre? I just remembered I haven't watched an episode for about 2 months now.

In the last couple of months we dealt with the end of the Knights of Hanoi. It was a pretty cool conclusion to Yusaku's thirst for revenge and the Playmaker vs Revolver feud. We just started season 2, and the Link Vrains aspect of the show is definitely way better: gone are the skyscraper.gif backgrounds and instead it's a more vibrant and designed world. The unholy fusion of Crow and Johan/Bruno/Vector came to us in a tornado made out of fire to beat up some AIs and try to be the Crow of the show while everyone following on twitter keeps posting memes of Johan/Bruno/Vector.

It's better, but I've been enjoying Vrains for a while now, so ymmv.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dabir posted:

The man Gongenzaka was always the coolest. I can see why you might think he doesn't deserve Superheavies if you're watching the dub though, that loving voice.

Yeah no, that voice is loving great. Like it's unironically a good way of translating his manner of speaking from the Japanese version.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe it is, but it hurts to listen to.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dabir posted:

Maybe it is, but it hurts to listen to.

We live in a world where Abridged Nappa voices Zarc. Gongenzaka is more than fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhhmg-mlEgk

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mysticblade posted:

It's gotten better, and I have hopes for the new season with Yusaku actually getting to, maybe, make a friend.

I never thought I'd want a YGO protagonist to care more about friendship but Yusaku really needs therapy, and if he isn't going to get it, at least he can have friends. Especially since he's gotten over his revenge and did want to befriend people at the end, even if it was the wrong person.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does best boy Shin NEO NEO Sawatori Deus get to do...anything, ever?

not really no

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so I've been watching a lot Yugioh that I haven't seen yet and wanted to post some thoughts.

GX season 3 is real bad. It drags a lot, it feels like it last forever, and the duels feel like filler which I feel like GX has a huge problem of, but it's a lot worse in Season 3 because it's boring filler. At least the endgame duels were good, Zane vs. Dark Jesse and then Amon vs. Dark Jesse were super good duels.

I actually like GX Season 4 a lot, Jaden is still boring like in Season 3, but he's a bit better. Chazz and Cyrus got good final duels with good character growth. Everything after to the end is good, except for the part where it turns out both of Axel's parents made it out okay making his duel real dumb and Fubuki's duel ending in a draw only for the show to go "nah" and losing instead. Also Alexis is a real bad character.

Don't actually have to say about the first half of 5Ds just all around good. The second half has that filler problem, but at least it's good, I love Jack Atlas trying to get job so he can fuel his Blue-Eyes Mountain addiction only to get involved with beating up gangs and loan sharks. Crash Town is good and the tag duel against Lotten is one of my favorite duels. The victory against Team Unicorn is baffling made worse be Jean's teammates encouraging him to be dumb, made even worse by Team Unicorn still competing afterwards meaning Team 5Ds could have taken that loss and still been okay. Team Catastrophe is Jack Atlas at his finest.

"Why did you save me?"
"You don't deserve to die."

Don't have much else to say about anything after.

Now all that's left is Zexal.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

sawatari nearly beats the final boss and it owns & is basically the only shining moment of excellence in murky dregs of late arc-v

He is like the only one in that final arc who accomplishes anything of note against him and getting snubbed by like a 7th layer of unseen bullshit was The Worst
sawatari deserved that victory

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bump to find post

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm going to bring this thread up to say, man, VRAINS is neither good or bad but it is punishingly Mediocre to me.

Which is a shame, because I think some of the characters in it (Go Onizuka is the most obvious) are really good characters, either due to depth or simply because their personalities and goals are simple, easy to understand, and they're fun to watch. But the rest of it is pretty mediocre. The gimmick of pulling out new cards then winning with them was fun for awhile, but I'm glad they've changed it up, and watching chain summonings is pretty fun. But Speed Duels just don't seem like they're as much fun to watch as Master Duels, because there's less stupid combos and more 'here's a random anime power I have'.

I also don't particularly like Soulburner as a duelist. He basically just uses the same Deck/Strategy as Yusaku except he only has 1 equivalent to the Talkers, so he only plays like 8 cards, and the pattern is basically 'Yusaku does a new thing and then Soulburner does it in his next duel', particularly with the Ritual and Fusion summonings. Also the fact his first few duels were him going to Season 1 characters and making them realize they were being dumb or whatever was kind of silly.

The show isn't bad to me, but I feel like the most boring characters are the protagonists, which I guess is standard for a lot of shows, but I feel like it hasn't always been the case in Yugioh.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The problem with the duels is it alternates between Playmaker and Soulburner constantly, they need to have Go, Blue Angel, or Ghost Girl duel to break it up. I imagine that's why they reintroduced the Hanoi into this season, since it seems like there aren't a lot of antagonist. You got the two mysterious brothers who are working under the big bad, DEATH SHEPARD, and maybe that one lady who was on that cruise ship at the beginning of the season and hasn't shown up since.

Also I feel like the plot isn't actually going anywhere right now and I'm still annoyed that they reintroduced Hanoi in another clip show episode. At least Go is a real good character and his deck changing from an archetype that's based around pro wrestling to one based around sport wresting reflecting his change in mentality is cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I feel like I should be catching up on VRAINS but also not sure if it's going to be another ARC V like before...

The last episode I watched was Blue Angel's brother vs Playmaker...and then I think Revolver vs Playmaker was after that and I watched some of that too. Then I got bored with the series cause it was nothing but combos.

Sounds like it hasn't changed much... hopefully I'm wrong?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It is a very combo focused show due to how Link Summoning works, unfortunately. It's not like 5Ds where Yusei was basically a straight up Tempo/Control player instead of a beat down; Yusaku (And Soulburner) both run beatdown combo decks, so it's not very engaging. It's awesome spectacles and I'd say the second season's dueling is more engaging, but I'm mostly watching it because it still feels like it could be good somewhere.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Link-circus is not engaging to watch.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the people demand more Brave Max

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's funny is despite this aggressive shilling Soulburner's deck doesn't seem to be particularly good in the actual game. Aoi, Emma and even Go's decks show up more than his.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

The problem with the duels is it alternates between Playmaker and Soulburner constantly, they need to have Go, Blue Angel, or Ghost Girl duel to break it up. I imagine that's why they reintroduced the Hanoi into this season, since it seems like there aren't a lot of antagonist. You got the two mysterious brothers who are working under the big bad, DEATH SHEPARD, and maybe that one lady who was on that cruise ship at the beginning of the season and hasn't shown up since.

Also I feel like the plot isn't actually going anywhere right now and I'm still annoyed that they reintroduced Hanoi in another clip show episode. At least Go is a real good character and his deck changing from an archetype that's based around pro wrestling to one based around sport wresting reflecting his change in mentality is cool.

How many clip shows has VRains had
I feel any time it comes up there's been at least one more to the pile

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

How many clip shows has VRains had
I feel any time it comes up there's been at least one more to the pile

It had a ridiculous amount at first, but they seemingly disappeared afterwards...only to come back in what genuinely seemed to be a plot-critical episode.

At this point that isn't VRAINS' biggest issue though, since at least it isn't getting as many anymore. I'd say its biggest issue is just how it has lots of interesting details that just...aren't really as interesting as they should be. I can't even tell why, but the execution feels lacking. It's not terrible, it's a watchable show, it's better than the post-shark-jumping Arc-V or early Zexal, but it's not exciting, it's something I remember every so often so I watch a bunch of episodes at once.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

the actual sin of the Hanoi flashback episode is that the end scene was cool but made me totally baffled as to what was going on.

Was the doctor's brain trapped in some secret cyberprison and they were freeing her mind so she could go back to work? Was she trapped in a real space prison and them all turning into their Knights avatars just a dramatic ending sting even though they basically look the exact same? Why was she captured but no one else was?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VRAINS is a bad, boring show that likes to constantly poo poo on the few good things it has going for it.

Here’s a fun game for you: find a reason in the show that justifies why they’re dueling and using cards against each other.

(Spoiler. There’s not one.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

VRAINS is a bad, boring show that likes to constantly poo poo on the few good things it has going for it.

Here’s a fun game for you: find a reason in the show that justifies why they’re dueling and using cards against each other.

(Spoiler. There’s not one.)

...Welcome to card game anime? This is the weirdest complaint I've seen about this franchise.

Like, it's fine to give that complaint if it's a sudden genre change or something, but this is Yu-Gi-Oh, what the hell do you expect?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It’s an example of VRAINS bad writing. Every other Yugioh show has a reason why card games are involved, even if the justification is flimsy at times. VRAINS doesn’t even attempt to explain itself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It was real funny watching Yusaku confront Revolver in real life only for the two of them to duel in Vrains.

Can't even play the card game irl anymore.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I mean it does have a justification; the AIs that are the plotkeys of the show are built on the basis of dueling. There's a step between that and 'so we solve the problems with dueling' I guess, but that also kind of makes sense; since the AIs are residing in the duel disks, maybe beating the AI is how you unlock the program or whatever. In the first version of VRAINS you couldn't even hurt people if you wanted to; in VRAINS 2.0 you still can't unless you're a hacked character like Blood Shepard.

the 'Go into Link VRAINS to duel' was really dumb but also I guess kind of made sense because Revolver had the shutdown program to the Tower linked into him losing a duel; beating him outside of VRAINS wouldn't have done anything.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I mean, they could have dodged the need to go into VRAINS by pulling a .hack or SAO and just trapping everyone in the game, and force them to play card games.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pyroi posted:

I mean, they could have dodged the need to go into VRAINS by pulling a .hack or SAO and just trapping everyone in the game, and force them to play card games.

But then that would be another 'trapped in an MMO' anime
that pile of poo poo is stacked real high.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But then that would be another 'trapped in an MMO' anime
that pile of poo poo is stacked real high.

Right now it's a 'not trapped in an MMO and going there anyway' anime so

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, have we actually seen a single duel in the real world so far or does it all happen in Link VRAINS?

Also as alluded to before, you could basically remove the cards, change all the duels to just straight combat and you really wouldn't have to alter the rest of the plot much at all. The show isn't terrible per se but it does feel kind of uneven. I forget but were previous seasons quite this bad when it came to clip shows (I think there was a point where one clip show aired only like 5-10 episodes after the previous one)?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also as alluded to before, you could basically remove the cards, change all the duels to just straight combat and you really wouldn't have to alter the rest of the plot much at all. The show isn't terrible per se but it does feel kind of uneven. I forget but were previous seasons quite this bad when it came to clip shows (I think there was a point where one clip show aired only like 5-10 episodes after the previous one)?

Basically this. This is what I was trying to say. There's no reason for anyone to be using cards.

The other shows found reasons, however flimsy, for the cards to be important. Yugi was the King of Games and good at all games and Duel Monsters was just his game of choice. Jaden went to an academy for Duel Monsters. Yuya was an entertainer that used the game as his medium, and so on.

Like, I have trouble accepting this...

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean it does have a justification; the AIs that are the plotkeys of the show are built on the basis of dueling. There's a step between that and 'so we solve the problems with dueling' I guess, but that also kind of makes sense; since the AIs are residing in the duel disks, maybe beating the AI is how you unlock the program or whatever. In the first version of VRAINS you couldn't even hurt people if you wanted to; in VRAINS 2.0 you still can't unless you're a hacked character like Blood Shepard.

...when Yusaku is backed up by a hacker and he's fighting a group of hackers. I realize I'm looking too hard at a children's card game show, but it just feels like they haven't given me any kind of reason why everyone is bothering to use cards to do whatever.

And no, the other shows weren't nearly as bad as this one when it came to clip shows. VRAINS is at the point where you could probably just watch the clip episodes and be caught up on everything.

Justin_Brett posted:

What's funny is despite this aggressive shilling Soulburner's deck doesn't seem to be particularly good in the actual game. Aoi, Emma and even Go's decks show up more than his.

Give it time. It took a while for Go and Emma's decks to start having a meta impact, and Soulburner has only had one set of support released so far. They purposely held back some of his cards for future releases. Once we start getting like, his Fusion stuff and some other stuff, his deck is probably going to take off.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's incredibly amusing to me that the literal World Championship finals was between Aoi's and Emma's decks when they get so thoroughly poo poo on in the show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ill post deeper thoughts some other time, but my thing is that I enjoy Vrains and the ideas it pushes, but it is very Not exciting for an action show.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a Duel Links thread?

I have a shitload of card tickets and dunno what I'm supposed to be using them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a Duel Links thread?

I have a shitload of card tickets and dunno what I'm supposed to be using them on.

People discussed it in the Trad Games thread for the TCG, but that thread is pretty dead right now. I wouldn't mind seeing a DL thread go up in Games or wherever if there's enough interest.