Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hate the term "toy hauler," in all forms.

E: whoa that's a dumb page snipe. Was in reference to people calling boats, RVs, ATVs, etc "toys," and the associated market for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

here's another:

fur babies!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A fur baby is what I pull out of the shop vac every six months when I finally dump ot.

E: holy poo poo I just had an epiphany about the name of furbies.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hello, I am red blooded male and I am a man and that means that I am too fat to fit in to any other vehicle than a truck comfortably and that all my hobbies and interests revolve around driving vehicles including my truck, my ATV, my snowmobile, my boat, and my camper; all of which need to be towed by my giant dualie although I rarely actually do or use any of these things. Now excuse me while I go drive down the block and park in front of the water while drinking a coffee because I hate my wife and can’t stand my kids.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My dad bought a gigantic truck to tow his gigantic boat. Then he bought a travel trailer so he could stay at the coast on his fishing trips for free (well, $12 a night or whatever for a campground slot) instead of paying for a hotel, but now he has to make two trips to haul the boat, then the trailer. America as gently caress. I wonder if the extra gas + camping fees is still cheaper than the hotel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is he too good for a camper in the bed or is the boat just that gigantic?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Camp in the boat

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Camp in the boat

Convert the boat into a truck so then you don't have to pay vehicle registration fees as you are simply navigating a waterway and am I being detained officer?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Javid posted:

My dad bought a gigantic truck to tow his gigantic boat. Then he bought a travel trailer so he could stay at the coast on his fishing trips for free (well, $12 a night or whatever for a campground slot) instead of paying for a hotel, but now he has to make two trips to haul the boat, then the trailer. America as gently caress. I wonder if the extra gas + camping fees is still cheaper than the hotel.

Always pay the premium to rent lest you find yourself using all your vacation time trying to repair unexpected issues at the cottage instead of actually having a vacation.

Also avoids having a boat on blocks that you never use in your yard and a $20k loan you can barely service.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

To haul my gear, I'll take a cargo van over a truck any day.

Lumber, tools, sound gear, whatever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Everyone who doesn't drive a Toyota Camry is an idiot. Why would you wanna drive something you enjoy driving when the Camry is very practical??

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

wooger posted:

Why do any of you need trucks of any size though - If you’re not working in construction, WTF are you using it for?

Surely a minivan is better for moving a family?

No one in Europe would consider a V6 or V8 gasoline truck of any size, as they’re laughably expensive to run.

My perspective on trucks as an American:

I loved my Dakota that I had to get rid of about 9 years ago. A nice mid-size truck. Handled well, got 14mpg in town with a nice old school 318 V8. Big tires that were not nearly as loud as you'd think. It was incredibly comfortable. I could drive from Minneapolis to Casper, WY without even wanting to take a break. It handled great off road, could haul any junk I needed to haul, it could tow, it could creep over any terrain I needed.

I traded it in for a mini-van when I had my second kid. I do like my van, but I miss my truck every day. I used to be excited every time I got to drive. It was wonderful.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Our big issue when I was working in hotels was that guests are all loving morons who say "IT'S NOT GETTING COLD FAST ENOUGH AT 70, BETTER CRANK IT DOWN TO 55 BECAUSE THAT WILL SURELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE". Cue frozen or burned out PTACs left and right.

The flip side was the first cold day of fall always brought a barrage of "OH GOD I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S THE TOWERING INFERNO" when the dust (which maintenance could never full clear) inside burned off

I was going to disagree and say that turning it down to 55 will ensure that the AC will continue to cycle thereby cooling faster but then I remember that I'm a complete idiot and the coils will ice up.

I used to maintain the maintenance of the rooftop units at our office/warehouse. The biggest problem was people monkeying with the thermostat.

For the main call center, there were 2 rooftop units that split off to also handle the offices on the edges of the call center. Remember, for some reason call center workers are fixated on temperature and they all either want it hotter or colder at all times.

Picture this:
Jackass 1 is by one thermostat
Jackass 2 is by a different thermostat
Jackass 1 is hot in his cube. He goes over and bumps the A/C temp down.
Jackass 2 is cold in his cube. He goes over and bumps the A/C temp up.
Jackass 1 thinks it's not cold enough so he goes over and turns the temp down more.
Jackass 2 is freezing to death so he turns the A/C effectively off.
Now we have lost load balance and A/C for Jackass 1 is running continuously on a hot day with a plugged air filter from the Cottonwood fluff.
The A/C for Jackass 2 is doing gently caress-all.
The A/C for Jackass 1 ices up but continues to run, trying vainly to bring down the temp.
The A/C for Jackass 1 gets to the point that it's cooling so poorly that the ice starts melting.
It overwhelms the catch pan and starts to drip right through the return air directly on to Jackass 1's stupid head.
Jackass 1 and 2 collaborate to blame management about why the A/C never works and leaks all the time.

We install locking covers over the thermostats. Never issues again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My building just set up a bunch of thermostats that weren't actually connected to anything, so people could play with them all day trying to get the temperature 'right' without doing any damage.

One of my coworkers had a radiator cover in her workspace and one day we opened it up and there wasn't actually a radiator inside.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My brother has an F250 with the biggest diesel they offered in '97. He got the guy he bought it used from to pay half the cost of the new transmission when it blew up they day after he bought it. The trailer full of hay that made the trans poo poo itself was only 12,500 pounds.

I have a Kia Amanti/Opirus that I intemd to use for camping. It's the Korean equivalent of a Lincoln Town Car, the front passenger seat folds flat to make a chaise lounge for the guy in back, or bed for me. Need a second battery and an inverter to run my laptop, and wondering if I'll have to pay extra for an RV spot at the local state park.

Edit: I wanted some little Asian rollerskate with cheap tires, but my ex-cop car crapped out and my aunt was selling the Korean luxobarge she inherited from my late grandma for the cost of the new tires she'd bought for it just before my cousin who had been driving it to work got a new car.

Same big expensive tires as the Crown Vic Interceptor. Well, at least I have spares.

Also, on topic for the thread, a few months ago I got a screw stuck in one of said tires. It still held air, but I swapped it for the spare amyway for the drive to the tire shop to get it patched. Only after I got there did I realize that that was the spare tire that came with the car, and was 14 years old, I'm lucky it didn't come apart on the way there.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 27, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I hate the term "toy hauler," in all forms.

E: whoa that's a dumb page snipe. Was in reference to people calling boats, RVs, ATVs, etc "toys," and the associated market for that.

You left out "race car". I used to own a truck because I towed my race car to events all over the western US for a few years, as often as 3 weekends per month. I drove a Honda Civic on my commute on the weekdays.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

wooger posted:

Why do any of you need trucks of any size though - If you’re not working in construction, WTF are you using it for?
I live in a frozen hellscape 6ish months out of the year. Having a truck lets me drive safely in the snow and ice and wind while I watch everyone with a car stuck in a ditch or a snowbank. Sometimes I even get to be a hero and push someone out of a ditch/snow/ice patch with my truck.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The one day it snowed here in NE Texas, I practiced my doriftu skills in the middle of downtown. I worked for the newspaper, and so was the only person driving there, everybody else was too scared to try the roads, but I had to. An inch of snow is nothing, I've been on the NY Thruway in a whiteout blizzard after driving nonstop from Dallas (with a partner, swapping drivers every so often, but still, I remember taking over driving in Memphis on the way back, and do not remember Arkansas.)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

mostlygray posted:

We install locking covers over the thermostats. Never issues again.

We have an office with huge tinted windows on the east and west walls. The tinting causes the windows to turn into vertical space heaters, but only when the sunlight hits them. So we have all of your problems plus every day the parties swap between mornings and afternoons.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Yawgmoth posted:

I live in a frozen hellscape 6ish months out of the year. Having a truck lets me drive safely in the snow and ice and wind while I watch everyone with a car stuck in a ditch or a snowbank. Sometimes I even get to be a hero and push someone out of a ditch/snow/ice patch with my truck.

I'll gladly grant you that if you live in rural nowheresville and your road doesn't get plowed regularly or ever, having enough ground clearance to get through whatever might be piled up can be a legitimate safety matter.

Once you're on paved roads however a truck offers no real safety advantage, and arguably is worse than most cars due to the effects of weight on maneuverability and braking distances, not to mention the inherent handling deficiencies of truck platforms. Proper tires and proper driving are what actually help you remain safe in winter conditions.

Around here it's more often than not trucks and SUVs in the ditch, with drivers sitting there wondering why 4x4 didn't magically allow their worn-out all-seasons to cross the slush barrier between lanes at 80 MPH.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Lest anyone think this is a joke, we had 20 some inches this month and usually get a few in May too. July is the only month here to never have recorded snowfall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

We have an office with huge tinted windows on the east and west walls. The tinting causes the windows to turn into vertical space heaters, but only when the sunlight hits them. So we have all of your problems plus every day the parties swap between mornings and afternoons.

... isn't tinting supposed to do exactly not that???

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Ashcans posted:

My building just set up a bunch of thermostats that weren't actually connected to anything, so people could play with them all day trying to get the temperature 'right' without doing any damage.

One of my coworkers had a radiator cover in her workspace and one day we opened it up and there wasn't actually a radiator inside.

Sounds like a crappy renovation tale. They hired someone to remove the old radiators but not someone to fix the drywall and repaint behind them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

peanut posted:

... isn't tinting supposed to do exactly not that???

Beats me how they hosed it up, but there is one window that isn't tinted (got replaced after it cracked) and if you put your hand to it, it isn't hot at all, but the tinted ones get painfully hot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Reflective tinting reflects light away, directly reducing both glare and heat. Absorbant tinting is just a dark layer that turns some/most of the light to heat. You can combine tinting that is reflective to invisible infrared heat but absorbs the visible spectrum so it cuts glare and looks shaded but doesn't send any additional heat into the building. My company has windows without a low-E coating and we were using black mesh screens as sun shades, it got so hot that we couldn't leave chocolate at our desks on sunny days. They replaced the shades with normal horizontal blinds and it's a night and day difference.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

wolrah posted:

I'll gladly grant you that if you live in rural nowheresville and your road doesn't get plowed regularly or ever, having enough ground clearance to get through whatever might be piled up can be a legitimate safety matter.

Once you're on paved roads however a truck offers no real safety advantage, and arguably is worse than most cars due to the effects of weight on maneuverability and braking distances, not to mention the inherent handling deficiencies of truck platforms. Proper tires and proper driving are what actually help you remain safe in winter conditions.

Around here it's more often than not trucks and SUVs in the ditch, with drivers sitting there wondering why 4x4 didn't magically allow their worn-out all-seasons to cross the slush barrier between lanes at 80 MPH.

The mistake you're making here is thinking that just because you've reached a paved road that the aforementioned conditions have changed at all. In rural nowheresville that just means there a different surface under the ice and snow.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Is he too good for a camper in the bed or is the boat just that gigantic?

That would be feasible I guess, but he managed to land a legitimately screaming deal on a REALLY nice 20-footer so it never came up.

The Locator posted:

You left out "race car". I used to own a truck because I towed my race car to events all over the western US for a few years, as often as 3 weekends per month. I drove a Honda Civic on my commute on the weekdays.

Having a car so ~special~ you can't drive it, and must trailer it to equally special facilities to drive it at all, has always struck me as the dumbest loving thing. A friend of mine turned his Subaru wagon into a gigantic subwoofer, and he goes to competitions where they measure who has the loudest subwoofer-mobile or something. All the extra batteries, framing, etc has added so much weight that it gets the fuel economy of an oil fire, and he's now shopping for a second vehicle to tow the thing. I don't get it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

That would be feasible I guess, but he managed to land a legitimately screaming deal on a REALLY nice 20-footer so it never came up.

Having a car so ~special~ you can't drive it, and must trailer it to equally special facilities to drive it at all, has always struck me as the dumbest loving thing. A friend of mine turned his Subaru wagon into a gigantic subwoofer, and he goes to competitions where they measure who has the loudest subwoofer-mobile or something. All the extra batteries, framing, etc has added so much weight that it gets the fuel economy of an oil fire, and he's now shopping for a second vehicle to tow the thing. I don't get it.

Is this the bad with money thread in BFC now, where we all just complain about outsole having hobbies that we find sub - optimal?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Javid posted:

If you want to go fast beyond a certain point, and you don't have the money to be driving super-cars that are well over six figures, then yes, you will have a car that is no longer street legal and must be trailered to the race track. Yes, they are money pits, but why do you care what hobbies other people spend their money on? There are certainly more expensive hobbies (like flying), and also plenty of cheaper hobbies (like playing video games).

Even if you can afford a super-car like a Koenigsegg Agera R, you are very unlikely to want to race it in wheel to wheel racing where poo poo does happen, and most racing organizations like the SCCA wouldn't allow it anyway since it wouldn't have the required safety equipment (like a full roll cage and fire suppression system, depending on class).

You don't have to 'get it', since it's not your thing, but that doesn't make it wrong for someone else to pour their money down that particular black hole. Could be worse, like a large wooden sailboat!

Also.. how did we get on this subject in Crappy Construction thread? Just realized that's where this is... so I'll not post on this subject any further.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

Is this the bad with money thread in BFC now, where we all just complain about outsole having hobbies that we find sub - optimal?
No, it's the crappy construction thread. A car so full of sound systems it effectively stops functioning as a car fits right in.

If it was the OSHA thread I'd be effortposting about how trucks turn fender benders into fatalities.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Splicer posted:

No, it's the crappy construction thread. A car so full of sound systems it effectively stops functioning as a car fits right in.

If it was the OSHA thread I'd be effortposting about how trucks turn fender benders into fatalities.

Unless you are the one in the truck.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oops. I mostly live out of my bookmarked threads, so I don't always check what thread I'm in before I respond to something.

I may be about to embark on a build worthy of this thread, and relevant to gigantic inefficient vehicle chat - building a camper interior in a bare cargo van. Far as I know there's no actual code for this stuff so a lot of it will be by calibrated eyeball.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

Unless you are the one in the truck.
:science: The average pickup truck is more likely to rollover at speed or from an off centre strike than a car, though nowhere near as bad as SUVs which are basically death machines.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Javid posted:

Oops. I mostly live out of my bookmarked threads, so I don't always check what thread I'm in before I respond to something.

I may be about to embark on a build worthy of this thread, and relevant to gigantic inefficient vehicle chat - building a camper interior in a bare cargo van. Far as I know there's no actual code for this stuff so a lot of it will be by calibrated eyeball.

Please post a thread, either in DIY or AI, either will be welcome.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Locator posted:

Yes, they are money pits, but why do you care what hobbies other people spend their money on? There are certainly more expensive hobbies (like flying), and also plenty of cheaper hobbies (like playing video games).

Money is not what people care about, but hobbies like this impact everyone in other ways:

- Having a giant ugly RV on the driveway next to your home.
- The pollution and impact from burning fucktons of fuel for fun.
- Gigantic pickups that don’t fit in parking spots and create chaos gat least in the UK).

None of this is necessary, and is only a thing because gas is taxed so little in the US.
If everyone did the same thing, the whole world would be a shithole.

Nothing to do with Crappy construction, I’ll shut up now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the condenser goes in the utility room, right?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

the condenser goes in the utility room, right?

If you preheat the utility room, then the water heater doesn't need to work as hard!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Javid posted:

What a daft thing to say. How else do you get a race car that’s no longer road-legal to the track?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

wooger posted:

Money is not what people care about, but hobbies like this impact everyone in other ways:

- Having a giant ugly RV on the driveway next to your home.
- The pollution and impact from burning fucktons of fuel for fun.
- Gigantic pickups that don’t fit in parking spots and create chaos gat least in the UK).

None of this is necessary, and is only a thing because gas is taxed so little in the US.
If everyone did the same thing, the whole world would be a shithole.

Nothing to do with Crappy construction, I’ll shut up now.

Does it bother you this much that someone else is having fun in a way that you don't? Most hobbies aren't "necessary," otherwise they would be work and not a hobby. If you don't like your neighbors having a camper or RV, then I guess move into a gated community. And since it is a weekend activity, I doubt the they are burning as much fuel as you seem to think they are. Who gets to decide which hobbies are acceptable and which are just a waste of resources? You sound like a real stick in the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
"but there's an electrical box here"

"that's what the knockouts are for"