Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
A lot of marketing these days is done by word of mouth, especially word of mouth coming from major “influencers” for lack of a better word. If Jason Morningstar or Ken Hite or Fred Hicks talks about your game on social media, then you’re more likely to get some eyes on your product. Even more so if one of those mid-tier companies decides to publish your work. However, a lot of the semi-formal business connections are formed in an informal context, largely at conventions. A lot of real business, or at least the foundation for it, happens at con bars, and despite the best efforts of con organizers (those that try at least), it can be hard for marginalized people to break through the barriers there.

Having a source to aggregate and curate materials from marginalized folks and having that beamed out to buyers and to influencers is a major marketing boon. The key is that folks need to tune into that source, but with enough signal boosting it’d be a lot easier to accomplish.

Also: lol at the gator and his “all I care about is quality” like gently caress off dude, there’s major systematic barriers in place for marginalized developers and designers and if you can’t recognize that then you got your head up your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

quote:

I suppose at least one approach would be to do something like the indie music label/publishing house routes of yore, and try to set up a collective oriented specifically towards publishing and promoting more diverse materials. Getting the company name up as one of the "big ones" on drivethru might help. At least, assuming the whole thing doesn't implode; my experience with some of those indie groups back in the 90s (for punk music and rabble lit anyway) was that they were notoriously volatile.

New Agenda Publishing is already starting something like that.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Desiden posted:

I suppose at least one approach would be to do something like the indie music label/publishing house routes of yore, and try to set up a collective oriented specifically towards publishing and promoting more diverse materials. Getting the company name up as one of the "big ones" on drivethru might help. At least, assuming the whole thing doesn't implode; my experience with some of those indie groups back in the 90s (for punk music and rabble lit anyway) was that they were notoriously volatile.

Offhand, this is exactly what Indie Press Revolution is.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

potatocubed posted:

New Agenda Publishing is already starting something like that.

I’m not familiar with the others, but Misha is really great. I’m definitely going to be keeping an eye on this group.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Ah, good to hear its going on. I was loosely aware of Indie Press Revolution, but had thought it was more just a general indie game house. Hadn't heard about the other, but I'll check them out too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note, if you think the big issue with Myfarog is 'it's not very good' as opposed to 'it is written by a literal Nazi and murderer' you got some problems.

I actually think a man who has de facto stabbed someone to death and has a deep knowledge of Paganistic Asatru in theory is the best person to write a Viking TRPG from personal experience, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with MyFarog.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plutonis posted:

I actually think a man who has de facto stabbed someone to death and has a deep knowledge of Paganistic Asatru in theory is the best person to write a Viking TRPG from personal experience, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with MyFarog.

See, you'd think that, but it turns out that racist Nazis are actually incredibly bad at Norse paganism and don't know the lore because they keep twisting it to try and fit their beliefs!

also, they're nazis

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Varg also set fire to a church like the raiders of Lindesfarne spent a decade inside the tough life of the Norwegian Prison system, one of the most brutal in the planet, which turned him into a hardened man, perhaps even as rugged as Ragnar Lothbrok himself. The man is a modern Viking, and Nazi or not I trust him to know Vikingness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Plutonis posted:

Varg also set fire to a church like the raiders of Lindesfarne spent a decade inside the tough life of the Norwegian Prison system, one of the most brutal in the planet, which turned him into a hardened man, perhaps even as rugged as Ragnar Lothbrok himself. The man is a modern Viking, and Nazi or not I trust him to know Vikingness.

lol

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Whole lotta nazis gonna be horrified when they rock up at Valhalla's gate only to find that most of the dudes inducted there over the last 40 years are African, Asian or Middle Eastern, and Odin only had 'em brought over so he could laugh at them for being little bitches.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Loomer posted:

Whole lotta nazis gonna be horrified when they rock up at Valhalla's gate only to find that most of the dudes inducted there over the last 40 years are African, Asian or Middle Eastern, and Odin only had 'em brought over so he could laugh at them for being little bitches.

Meanwhile inside the guys who died in the fighting of the last decades: "Hey when I said I wanted an eternity with 40 virgins I didn't mean my former squadmates."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Seems harsh but fair.

Desiden posted:

So, encouraging diversity in larger RPG companies is a straightforward (though not easy) approach. Same with something like the newsletter, in essentially helping with visibility of more independent games. But how do you facilitate "access to distribution tools", in this context? That seems like for our weird little nerd hobby to be pretty critical, given the importance of the kickstarter/POD/pdf approach to sales these days, but I'm not sure what would be helpful in this frame.

Funny as it sounds the best method of getting sales nowadays seems to be getting played on one of the popular nerd podcasts, preferably an actual play session run by nerd famous people.

Also obviously having a proper account with the various PDF and POD outlets.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Apropos of nothing, I vaguely remember a game designer once had a tone deaf suggestion of using the inner city as the setting for a dungeon crawl. I want to say this was from something in the 90's. Does anyone else remember this, or am I going crazy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

Apropos of nothing, I vaguely remember a game designer once had a tone deaf suggestion of using the inner city as the setting for a dungeon crawl. I want to say this was from something in the 90's. Does anyone else remember this, or am I going crazy?

No, you're not hallucinating. That was either Stephen or Davis Chenault, of Castles & Crusades, suggesting that one might do "modern dungeon crawls" in urban poor areas. I believe they caught a ban from rpg.net for that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

wouldn't it be more accurate if the dungeon crawl took place in a gated community or private billionaire island or some poo poo? they would actually have things to take, private security and traps and they'd be full of weird, alien monsters

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Serf posted:

wouldn't it be more accurate if the dungeon crawl took place in a gated community or private billionaire island or some poo poo? they would actually have things to take, private security and traps and they'd be full of weird, alien monsters

I prefer the X-Crawl setting's version, where dungeon-crawling is a competitive Pay-Per-View blood sport industry. It chews up and spits out promising young talent without so much as a "thank you" and runs on sheer consumerism. Just like real sports.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

JackMann posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just the dude trying to do a satire, and trying to make the point that a bunch of adventurers going into an encampment and killing all the orcs and goblins they can find was also a hosed up thing to do.

I'm not sure if Goblin Slayer would approve though.

Libertad! posted:

I prefer the X-Crawl setting's version, where dungeon-crawling is a competitive Pay-Per-View blood sport industry. It chews up and spits out promising young talent without so much as a "thank you" and runs on sheer consumerism. Just like real sports.

It was also a televised LARPing deathmatch run by God-Emperor Ronald Reagan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's nice that goblin slayer came along to perfectly demonstrate what I mean when I say a piece of media is for violent middle school boys.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just the dude trying to do a satire, and trying to make the point that a bunch of adventurers going into an encampment and killing all the orcs and goblins they can find was also a hosed up thing to do.

I think you're thinking of Violence, which set the game of "go into a place and kill everyone/take everything" into the modern age to point up how hosed up it was. If I remember correctly, there were locations/stats of wealthier people included so it wasn't just "going into the poorer parts of cities and killing the people there would be a rad dungeon crawl!" which is what it sounds like the dude in JackMann's post was advocating.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's nice that goblin slayer came along to perfectly demonstrate what I mean when I say a piece of media is for violent middle school boys.

Middle school boys should not be reading Goblin Slayer, or Berserk.

Heliotrope posted:

I think you're thinking of Violence, which set the game of "go into a place and kill everyone/take everything" into the modern age to point up how hosed up it was. If I remember correctly, there were locations/stats of wealthier people included so it wasn't just "going into the poorer parts of cities and killing the people there would be a rad dungeon crawl!" which is what it sounds like the dude in JackMann's post was advocating.

Yeah, I definitely remember a guy making an rpg set in modern times but framed just like a dungeon crawl. I think that might be it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Middle school boys should not be reading Goblin Slayer,
They absolutely shouldn't be, but they are also literally the only people it could possibly appeal to. Well them and adults who haven't grown since middle school.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

They absolutely shouldn't be, but they are also literally the only people it could possibly appeal to. Well them and adults who haven't grown since middle school.

*nods* I would probably also put Devilman: Crybaby on that list.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Serf posted:

Society: The RPG. Make a CON save to avoid being shunted.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

That series loving annoyed me because it constantly does the "Here's a world that fills all these tropes uncritically! And here's why all these people are WRONG DUMB IDIOTS who're ALL GOING TO DIE" thing. quite beyond it being ultraviolent trash. If you're going to try and make A Statement about media it's best to actually have a fuckin' point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Heliotrope posted:

To be fair, Violence was an overt parody of 90s grimness, sensationalist marketing, and dungeon crawls in general, and it wasn't ever really meant to be played. James Wallis called it the Modest Proposal of RPGs, which is pretty apt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

You know what has labyrinthine corridors, multiple levels, lots of esoteric equipment to plunder, and a hierarchical organization of monsters? The Pentagon

That's my new SOTDL hack: Shadows of the Defense Lanyards

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Also, hospitals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know what has labyrinthine corridors, multiple levels, lots of esoteric equipment to plunder, and a hierarchical organization of monsters? The Pentagon

That's my new SOTDL hack: Shadows of the Defense Lanyards

my group once did a whole Delta Green story set inside the Pentagon. It makes a genuinely good setting for a kinda sneaky/weird exploration thing.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The whole “dungeon crawls in urban areas” thing points to how framing, context, the willingness to make an actual statement instead of constant waffling, and an ounce of basic awareness can make the same basic concept either an interesting, worthy game or a piece of offensive drivel.

Bedlamdan posted:

*nods* I would probably also put Devilman: Crybaby on that list.
Bedlamdan continuing their streak of being wrong about literally everything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Urbex would be a real solid place to start for a game, with traps largely replaced by architectural instability, old needles and heavy poo poo falling over.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The whole “dungeon crawls in urban areas” thing points to how framing, context, the willingness to make an actual statement instead of constant waffling, and an ounce of basic awareness can make the same basic concept either an interesting, worthy game or a piece of offensive drivel.

Serf posted:

A dungeon crawl at heart is an alternate universe take on a heist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JackMann posted:

Isn't that the plot of The Warriors?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not really a dungeon crawl. The Warriors weren't stealing the Baseball Furies bats to sell back on Coney Island or anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Warriors was Xenophon's Anabasis except with NYC street gangs.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Bedlamdan continuing their streak of being wrong about literally everything.

Cryman: Devilbaby

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Really, it’s not even that Crybaby is bad, it’s just that when you see someone get devoured alive by a vagina monster in the first episode, you really know what you’re getting into if you keep watching.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Just like how the goblin slayer intro is all about goblins raping nubile female adventures before getting slaughtered by the main character. It takes a certain type of reader to make it past those chapters.

I wonder if it's possible to convert John Company into a RPG. As a board game, John Company is a bit too random and too fragile for me. But it generates some amazing role-play experiences like so:

BBG review posted:

One of your family members is a company veteran, granted control of the Madras Presidency. This posting comes with a number of responsibilities, such as the security of certain trade partners in India, oversight over the ships and goods that will hopefully turn a profit there, and command over one of the company’s three armies.

For the past couple decades, this family member has been the sort of quiet, reliable president who raises neither controversy nor any particular interest. He doesn’t make the papers. Now, though, he wants permission to transfer some guns from another of the company’s presidencies, bring some new blood into his pool of military officers, and stage a military takeover of the region he’s responsible for administering.

To pull this off, our president is going to need to pull some strings. He’ll need the official in charge of Military Affairs to send him the necessary soldiers, and maybe grease some palms in order to ensure that his cousins get the job. He’ll need the approval of the Bengal Presidency to borrow those guns. And, most subtly, he’ll need to silence any opposition, those who feel that the army is better used defensively than exhausted on an offensive campaign, especially since there have been rumblings of discontent in Madras. In order to wage his splendid little war, our president may find himself indebted to nearly every other family at the British East India Company.

So why do it at all? There are a few reasons. The public reason is that conquering Madras would add a new office to the company, a governorship, which could work to stave off revolts and invasions, and generally promote the stability and prosperity of the region. Of course, our ambitious president has other ideas. He’s thinking about the plunder his soon-to-be officer cousins will bring home, the promotion of one of those cousins straight into the governorship, and the likelihood that they’ll be able to graft every last farthing of tax income that Madras generates for the next forty years.

He’s thinking of that Scottish island he’s been eyeing, and how when the time comes to retire, his family’s finances will be sufficient to buy it for him.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

ProfessorCirno posted:

A dungeon crawl at heart is an alternate universe take on a heist.

"A dungeon crawl is just a badly planned heist" is the explicit premise of the section of the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide for using the Leverage/Cortex Action ruleset to run the dungeon fantasy genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Just like how the goblin slayer intro is all about goblins raping nubile female adventures before getting slaughtered by the main character. It takes a certain type of reader to make it past those chapters.

In all cases it all amounts to cheap shock value designed to be appalling or disturbing. Could they get away with leaving things implied or using something less gratuitous or edgy? Yeah, totally! I love Berserk but I’m never going to recommend it to people who are sensitive about this kind of thing. I felt that reading Berserk was often a difficult and somewhat scarring experience, and I still admire it a lot. The most I can say as that at least it’s all played as something disgusting and negative.

Now contrast all that to stuff like Re:Monster where the protagonist does the exact same things as the monsters in Goblin Slayer, but for some reason is supposed to be the good guy.

Which is why Goblin Slayer vs. Re:Monster is a good concept for a crossover, at least.