Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's with the repeating Chinese audio file?

In two matches, from two different players, I've heard this repeating audio file through team chat. It's of a Chinese woman repeating phrases over and over.

Edit: In case it's to drive out non-Mandarin speakers, I always wait to bail until the match starts. Is this going to get me banned or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
why would micspamming get you banned, just turn off team chat if you hear it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

In two matches, from two different players, I've heard this repeating audio file through team chat. It's of a Chinese woman repeating phrases over and over.

Edit: In case it's to drive out non-Mandarin speakers, I always wait to bail until the match starts. Is this going to get me banned or something?

It is most likely an advertisement.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Clearly the answer is to record your own audio file and play it twice as loudly

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hockles posted:

I just want post-match individualized damage reports identical to CS.

You hit Jimmy 3 times for 84 damage.
You hit Beth 1 time for 10 damage.
You hit Tom 4 times for 102 damage. -DBNO
You hit Richard 1 time for 150 damage. - Kill

Your client said you hit Jimmy 3 times but deysnched so only 1 counted
You were hit by Beth before you saw her because her Ping is 400.
Tom straight up killed you with an aimbot.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Accretionist posted:

they're not leaving any spare volume on the table for you to drain them out so the only option is 'taiwan number one'. You'll get shouted at still but at least now they mean it

e. you will provoke intra-team hostilities this way lol

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Accretionist posted:

It’s Dell, telling you where to get plugins.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh they're making some big changes to Miramar in this patch (deleted buildings are red, new buildings are green):

This seems weird, if they wanted more balanced loot maybe they should've... balanced the loot? It's just too predictable since some buildings are so much better than others. Nerf those buildings' spawn points and buff the rest, people will start dropping elsewhere.

(also last patch they added Alcántara, a town that's basically nothing but high tier loot buildings all over :geno: )

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Elman posted:

So uh they're making some big changes to Miramar in this patch (deleted buildings are red, new buildings are green):

This seems weird, if they wanted more balanced loot maybe they should've... balanced the loot? It's just too predictable since some buildings are so much better than others. Nerf those buildings' spawn points and buff the rest, people will start dropping elsewhere.

(also last patch they added Alcántara, a town that's basically nothing but high tier loot buildings all over :geno: )

Oh nice, they deleted my main drop points in El Pozo, Chumacera, and San Martin. Guess I won't bother dropping at those cities anymore.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Elman posted:

Sloppy mapping work. They missed at least two God Buildings that were removed from El Pozo. Northwest one replaced with a warehouse, the south one just removed.

I guess because they added Alcantara, they figured the area was too attractive so they nerfed it?
I used to drop at this place sometimes, but the problem was no one else went there. I hope that will be improved now.

Really, with Miramar the way it is now on the test server, not everyone will be dropping Pecado anymore, so I wouldn't mind if they dropped 120 players.

Edit: Found this nice writeup about the "real" Red Zone, an area in France that is still off limits after WWI. Authorities are still clearing out unexploded munitions:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/05/26/the-real-no-go-zone-of-france-a-forbidden-no-mans-land-poisoned-by-war/

quote:

Authorities estimate that if they continue working at the current rate, it could take anywhere from 300 to 700 years to complete.

[...] nearly 900 tons of unexploded munitions are recovered each year by Belgian and French farmers after ploughing their fields.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 27, 2018

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Regrettable posted:

Oh nice, they deleted my main drop points in El Pozo, Chumacera, and San Martin. Guess I won't bother dropping at those cities anymore.

Same with the south part of El Azahar. Was confused on the test server when I got to my usual route in the city. Looks so lazily done too. Remove some buildings, drag a little in the surrounding terrain and lets call it a day.

They might have disabled the usage of 8x on AR's but now you can find 6x (variable zoom) all over the place instead which is arguably just as good if not better since I feel it will be excellent both short range and long range (can also go on the m16).

Didn't get to play around much but the nerf to the AR's didn't feel too severe at all. It was fine.
Both the light and thumb grip suck balls, at least on AR's. Don't pick them up in their current state.

The new car is way too good. Fast as a 2 seater, sounds great and has infinite grip. Imo they should reduce the grip on that thing which will make it a lot more fun to drive. Right now it feels out of place it's that good. It's an old muscle car ffs it should be able to do burnouts and not turn like it's a high downforce car running on a track.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 27, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sloppy mapping work. They missed at least two God Buildings that were removed from El Pozo. Northwest one replaced with a warehouse, the south one just removed.

I guess because they added Alcantara, they figured the area was too attractive so they nerfed it?
I used to drop at this place sometimes, but the problem was no one else went there. I hope that will be improved now.

That was one of my favourite solo and duo drop points... was great for gear and always had a vehicle. Oh well - more map to explore now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My AK spray downs feel the same but long range shooting feels different so I guess the balance patch is working as intended.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My highest IQ play to date. >200?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYmJOkWFJo&t=250s

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

That was pretty funny and the new grenade effects seem awesome.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Prime example of why the discord is PTT only.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Prime example of why the discord is PTT only.

You can set up the mic threshold to not broadcast keystrokes, you pedant.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
dat laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSTOHa4Im4

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hey so me and some friends got this game a couple of days ago, but I've been playing a bit solo today.

Just a couple of questions. Are weapon locations on maps predetermined or are they random? I would guess a combination, anyone have any recommendations on where to go to get a decent kit relatively quickly? Currently I've had a lot of bad luck in choosing my spots, as I seem to often have to lug around shotguns for a long time while it seems everyone else has ARs and poo poo, which I sometimes find. I also kind of suck at the moment, and probably wouldn't last too long going into the most crowded zones (which I guess are where most of the good stuff is).

Though I guess just getting into the thick of it for a while might improve my skills in this, it's actually been a very long time since I played shooters, and I'm noticing that pretty much all my kills so far have been fools at the very beginning dying to a flurry of my fists while they scramble to run away in a yakety sax situation or they pick up a gun and forget they have to load it, as well as the occasional ambushing of unaware snipers. In more straight up firefights I tend to get hosed down, probably tied to my newbie mistakes of just running around like an idiot trying to get in close with my equipment, or just not reacting fast enough to contact.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

lol, nice

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Hey so me and some friends got this game a couple of days ago, but I've been playing a bit solo today.

Just a couple of questions. Are weapon locations on maps predetermined or are they random? I would guess a combination, anyone have any recommendations on where to go to get a decent kit relatively quickly? Currently I've had a lot of bad luck in choosing my spots, as I seem to often have to lug around shotguns for a long time while it seems everyone else has ARs and poo poo, which I sometimes find. I also kind of suck at the moment, and probably wouldn't last too long going into the most crowded zones (which I guess are where most of the good stuff is).

Though I guess just getting into the thick of it for a while might improve my skills in this, it's actually been a very long time since I played shooters, and I'm noticing that pretty much all my kills so far have been fools at the very beginning dying to a flurry of my fists while they scramble to run away in a yakety sax situation or they pick up a gun and forget they have to load it, as well as the occasional ambushing of unaware snipers. In more straight up firefights I tend to get hosed down, probably tied to my newbie mistakes of just running around like an idiot trying to get in close with my equipment, or just not reacting fast enough to contact.

Weapon spawns are random, RNG bro. Certain areas have a higher probability of better loot though (military base, hacienda, etc). There are maps (I think in the OP?) that will help you figure this out.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

willroc7 posted:

Weapon spawns are random, RNG bro.

Well, that said, loot only spawns in certain predetermined spots in each building. So learning those spots is a big part of learning to loot quickly.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, that said, loot only spawns in certain predetermined spots in each building. So learning those spots is a big part of learning to loot quickly.

That's a good point.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not just this, but some buildings inherently take longer to loot because while they have lots of spawns, they're also large with lots of doors. An example would be the multistory apartment buildings on Erangel near School, and in Yasnaya and Georgopol. It just takes time to figure out which areas and building types are the most efficient, and that playing in squads can be a limiting factor in how likely it is everyone will come out well equipped.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
apartment buildings are the worst never loot apartment buildings, the best buildings are ones that are small/open and have lots of chances to spawn items

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Apartment buildings are good if there are other squads very close because you have a lot of windows to peek/shoot them from but they generally shouldn't be the first places you loot.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Apparently since the recent anti-cheat patch the game will boot me from any match after ~30 seconds if vmware workstation is running :thunk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd recommend turning it off, then

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's no worse feeling in this game than finding a guy, sneaking up towards him without him knowing, and then watching him start to fly and zoom across half the map.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Rip getting full gear in 3 buildings in El Azahar. It was good to know you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They removed half of Chumachera. They also left all of Pecado alone which is where I go when I miss War mode.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So, uh, what's up with all the extra utility belts in the warm-up on test server?
I've seen this on both the NA and AS servers.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So, uh, what's up with all the extra utility belts in the warm-up on test server?

It probably gives you one when you get your parachute or something like that, so dropping your belt in lobby doesn't screw you over anymore.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, I heard this too on the EU realms.
Its like shes reading a story.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s everyone’s opinion on the best places to drop if you want to get into gun play after getting kitted but are not pecado, school, potchinki, hacienda?

I’m trying to up my aggression but also not play PUBRNG on whether or not I die before even getting a weapon.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Erangel: Hospital, Prison, Shelter, Stalber

Miramar: Power plant, Water Treatment

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Dangerllama posted:

What’s everyone’s opinion on the best places to drop if you want to get into gun play after getting kitted but are not pecado, school, potchinki, hacienda?

I’m trying to up my aggression but also not play PUBRNG on whether or not I die before even getting a weapon.

drop the next settlement over from the high RNG loot spots, usually still somewhat busy and kit yourself out/practice gunplay. If you survive, head towards school/pochinki/hacienda. Pick a fight with whomever came out on top there by positioning in between the hotspot and the circle if it's not inside the circle. They'll be armed well but you get to choose your positioning. Also they drop fat loop of loot if you win

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Am I the only one that is having a hard time understanding the actual differences and use cases for the now Five separate grip types in the game?

I couldn't even confidently explain to my friends which grip to use for which gun when we had only two. I am imagining a naive player picking up one of the new grips and stopping to closely scrutinize the small tooltip text, trying to parse the difference between "recoil" and "recoil recovery" while a firefight is happening around them, and it seems farcical.

I feel like they need to introduce some kind of graphical representation of the spray pattern on the grip itself to help players intuitively understand at a glance what the thing is actually doing. Frankly most attachments could probably do with better tooltips than the tinytext we currently have.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

i dunno but i have 2 belts in my customization inventory and i don't remember if it's always been like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Scoss posted:

Am I the only one that is having a hard time understanding the actual differences and use cases for the now Five separate grip types in the game?

I couldn't even confidently explain to my friends which grip to use for which gun when we had only two. I am imagining a naive player picking up one of the new grips and stopping to closely scrutinize the small tooltip text, trying to parse the difference between "recoil" and "recoil recovery" while a firefight is happening around them, and it seems farcical.

I feel like they need to introduce some kind of graphical representation of the spray pattern on the grip itself to help players intuitively understand at a glance what the thing is actually doing. Frankly most attachments could probably do with better tooltips than the tinytext we currently have.

You’re definitely not alone in that. Every time I look over any explanation my eyes just glaze over.