Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Burn, baby, burn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh my God, they're doing the bodysnatchers point!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

A blowtorch! “Excellent!” you cry, and turn on the gas.

WHOOSH! A blue flame shoots out. You aim the fire at the nearest zombie Sybil – number 68. “Back off!” you command.

The Sybils gasp and step back. But Sybil 68 is too close to the flame. Her face turns shiny. Then her mouth starts to sag.

“She’s melting,” Liz gasps. “Hey! She’s made of wax!”

Liz is right! And you’re saved!

Waving the torch, you advance on the wax Sybils. “Take that, candleheads!” you shout. Wax figures melt like ice cream on a hot day. Then you hear a female voice. Shrieking.

“My models! My beautiful wax me’s! Ruined!”

It’s the real Sybil. She’s there, too. But you have no idea which one she is! There’s only one way to handle this. Shutting your eyes, you spray fire until the blowtorch is empty.

Silence. You open your eyes. Purple wax coats the floor as far as you can see. And there’s no sign of the real Sybil.

You must have torched her. “Wow!” you say. “What a –“

Your sentence ends in a gurgle. Because a hand shoots out from behind a lump of wax and grabs your throat.

quote:

The hand belongs to Sybil Wicked. You were wrong. You didn’t get her after all. She got you. And she’s mad.

“You’ve made a lot of trouble for me,” she snarls. “Now I’m going to make some for you.”

You know she’s not kidding. You struggle. But her grip is too strong to break.

“Let me go!” you hear Liz yelling. Out of the corner of your eye, you see her. She’s trying to break away from Sybil’s mad servant, Axel. But she’s not having any luck.

Sybil and Axel drag you and Liz to the other end of the huge room. There they stand you with your backs against the lavender screen. “Turn on the Suction Screen, Axel,” Sybil orders.

Axel flips a giant purple switch. An instant later, you and Liz are sucked backward and pinned against the screen. You pull with all your might. But you can’t move your arms and legs.

quote:

“Fetch the Face Lifter!” Sybil commands. “And hurry! It’s almost time for my press conference!”

Axel disappears down the aisles of shelves. A moment later he returns. He’s pushing a shiny stainless-steel machine in front of them. It looks like an octopus, with lots of metal arms that wave in the air. Each arm is tipped with a different lethal-looking instrument.

“Excellent,” Sybil gloats. She and Axel bend over the machine, making last-minute adjustments.

“There’s the Chin Skinner,” Liz moans. “And that one must be the Eye Popper. And –“

“Shut up,” you beg. You don’t want to hear it! Without thinking, you slide away from Liz. That’s when you realize you might have a chance after all. Because you can move – sideways! You can slide along the Suction Screen!

You make sure that Axel and Sybil are still busy with the Face Lifter. Then you start slithering. It’s hard work, but you slide all the way to the giant purple switch. If you can only move your hand enough to flip it to OFF...

quote:

You flip the switch! The Suction Screen lets you go. You jump to the side, out of its range. “Run, Liz!” you shout.

At the sound of your voice, Axel and Sybil look up. “Axel, they’re getting away! After them!” Sybil cries.

Liz darts behind some shelves. You stand your ground next to the Suction Screen. “Come and get me!” you shout.

Axel runs toward you. You wait, hoping your plan works. Your hand hovers over the giant purple switch. He comes closer... Closer...

“Now!” you cry, and flip the switch to ON.

ZOOP! Axel is instantly sucked against the lavender screen. He’s trapped! Now all you have to worry about is Sybil.

You turn to face her. But when you see what’s happening to her, your eyes bug out.

She’s falling apart. Literally! She got a little too close to the Suction Screen. And it’s ripping great hunks of flesh right off her face! They fly through the air and thud against the screen. “NO!” Sybil shrieks.

You feel sick. Sybil’s old, patchwork face was hideous enough. But what’s underneath is truly terrifying.

quote:

“Yuck! Total gross-out!” you declare.

You’re looking at Sybil Wicked’s true face. But it isn’t really a face. It’s a head-shaped nest of purple slime. Worms and maggots slither in and out of its eye sockets. A beetle creeps along its cheek. Slimy goo drips from its chin on the floor.

“You’re not Dr. Wicked’s daughter!” You cry. “You’re not even human!”

“Correct!” the Sybil-monster agrees. “I am the doctor’s most beautiful living wax creation. Or I was. Until the fire made me mutate into.. this. A thing so hideous I don’t even dare to look at myself in the mirror.”

The Sybil-monster starts to weep as she comes toward you. You can’t blame her. You’d even feel sorry for her. That is, if she wasn’t about to seize you and steal your face!

Then something she said gives you an idea. If only you had a mirror handy!

If you picked up a MIRROR somewhere in this adventure, go to PAGE 60.

If you didn't, go to PAGE 58.

quote:

You slap your pockets frantically. Axel gave you a mirror after you rescued him from the Deboner. What did you do with it?

The Sybil-monster’s disgusting, rotting breath is right in your face. If she gets any closer the worms from her face will crawl over to yours. Where is that mirror?

There! You find the small disk in your back pocket. Pulling it out, you thrust it in the Sybil-monster’s face.

“The horror!” she cries as she sees her own reflection. “The horror! The horror!”

She said she couldn’t bear to look at herself in a mirror. Will it stop her?

It does – and more! The Sybil-monster begins to melt into a pool of purple liquid. The nest of creepy-crawlies spreads out over the puddle and begins to slurp it up. Soon there’ll be nothing left of Sybil Wicked.

Voices approach. It’s Liz – with a mob of reporters! “They’re here for Sybil’s press conference,” she explains.

Flashbulbs go off all around you. Reporters buzz with questions. The press has arrived just in time to catch Sybil’s final moments on film. “What a story!” One of them cries.

It sure is. And you and Liz are the real heroes, in...

THE END

I'm a little disappointed we made it through the whole Sybil path without running into any of the best bad ends...

Speaking of missing things, here's a tip: on the path where we go after Jake and have the option to follow him down the conveyor belt or investigate the movement in the shadows, either option can eventually allow us to reach the goal ending. However, the conveyor belt route is much shorter and skips out on a lot of the best content in the path - including what is arguably the funniest ending in the book. Just saying.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror
Blowtorch

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.
Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.
Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.
Scooped into the back of a trash truck and presumably compacted.
Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Find out what's moving in the shadows.
  • Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Leave Axel in the Deboner.
  • Wake the sleeping Sybils.
  • Run through the Sybils.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

That was abrupt.

Stay still to save oxygen seemed to be the last option we didn't choose on the Jake path, so let's do that.

Also, gotta say this book has been surprisingly decently written as far as this series goes. There's an actual, reasonably solid plot here instead of unrelated setpieces and random werewolves waiting around each corner.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 28, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's take Rebonack's screaming hint and find out what's moving in the shadows.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

AceOfFlames posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

quote:

“The horror!” she cries as she sees her own reflection. “The horror! The horror!”

:allears:

I want to see some horrifying endings. Let's see what happens if we don't have a mirror.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

AceOfFlames posted:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to see some horrifying endings. Let's see what happens if we don't have a mirror.

I haven't listed that one as an option yet, since we haven't done the path to get to the final confrontation without the mirror.

Also, while I'm dropping major hints, the best bad end in the book can actually be reached in two ways. One is during the aforementioned "no mirror" path, while the other happens if we pick the wrong option on one of the choices we've already made.

Anyway, let's check out those shadows!

quote:

Someone is watching you! You feel it. There’s something in the shadows across the room. And you have to find out what it is!

Maybe it’s Jake! you think. Maybe this whole thing is one of his pranks. Maybe he put his sneakers on that conveyor belt so you’d think he was unconscious.

Maybe not.

“Jake?” you call hopefully. “Is that you?”

There’s no reply.

“Mr. Dunning?” you try again.

A spotlight suddenly shines down from the ceiling. It blinds you for a moment. Then you and Liz both gasp.

The light is shining on a person, but it sure isn’t Mr. Dunning. This giant wears a black hood and black cape. He holds a gleaming ax blade high in the air. In a moment he will bring it down on the victim kneeling before him.

“It’s the Executioner!” you exclaim, horrified. “He was in one of the GOOSEBUMPS books we read, remember, Liz?”

“Yeah,” Liz whispers. “The Executioner.” Her eyes are wide. She can hardly breathe.

Then she screams. “It’s Jake! He’s going to be executed!”

quote:

Your stomach turns over. Liz is right! The figure kneeling with his head on the chopping block has chin-length brown hair – just like Jake’s!

“Jake!” you shriek. You dash over and grab his hand to pull him off the chopping block. What you feel startles you. Jake’s hand is covered with wax!

Right then the Executioner’s arms glide downward. The ax gleams in the spotlight.

WHACK! The steel ax blade lands squarely on Jake’s neck!

quote:

The WHACK of the ax on the chopping block is followed by a THUD! The severed head rolls and lands at your feet.

“AHHHHH!” you scream. Two glassy eyes are staring up at you.

But wait! Those aren’t Jake’s eyes at all!

“They’re marbles!” you exclaim to Liz. “This is just a wax figure. It’s part of the exhibit. It doesn’t even look like Jake! Except for the hair.”

“Ha!” Liz laughs nervously. “I wasn’t fooled for one minute. Were you?” She looks at the headless wax figure and shudders.

“I wasn’t scared,” you reply, trying to sound braver than you feel. To prove it, you reach up and tweak the Executioner’s waxy nose. “It’s all fake, see?”

“Yeah,” Liz says, giving the towering figure’s cheek a pinch. “Just fake!”

You’re not so sure anymore, though. You don’t want to scare Liz or anything, but when you touched his nose you felt... what was it...? Breath?

Yes. Warm breath. Coming from the Executioner.

But that’s impossible! Or is it?

quote:

You lean closer to the Executioner.

This time you’re sure. The wax figure’s chest is definitely moving. Slowly. In and out. Is this part of the exhibit?

“What are you doing?” Liz jokes. “Checking him for bad breath?”

“Do you see it?” you whisper.

“See what?” Liz asks. She takes a closer look at the wax ax-man. Then her eyes grow wide. “They made it look like he’s breathing!”

The spotlight above the exhibit flickers. Liz grabs your arm. “This is too creepy,” she cries. “Let’s find Jake and get out of here.”

But you’re too busy examining the Executioner. Curiosity overcomes fear. You scratch at one waxy hand with your fingernail. It kind of grosses you out, but at the same time, it fascinates you.

All the while, the big wax figure’s barrel chest moves in and out – ever so gently.

quote:

The wax on the hand of the Executioner peels away easily. You flick a soft lump of the stuff off your finger and scratch some more.

This time you scrape a patch on his arm. You dig deeper with your nail. Under the cool layers of wax you feel a warm spot. You squint your eyes and look closer. Is it only flesh-colored wax?

Or is it really flesh?

quote:

You’re so busy scratching the wax surface of the Executioner that you hardly notice what’s happening. But it gradually dawns on you.

Fingers. Five of them. Fingers have wrapped themselves around your right arm. And they’re starting to squeeze.

You can’t bring yourself to raise your eyes to the Executioner’s face. Your eyes are level with his chest. In and out. In and out.

You gulp. “Liz,” you say. “I certainly hope that’s you squeezing my arm.”

“Knock it off,” Liz says from across the room. “You’re scaring me.”

They’re not Liz’s fingers.

That can only mean one thing...

What happens next depends on how easily scared you get. Are you the type who flies into a panic? Or are you cool and collected when things get scary?

Go ahead and test yourself. Hold out your hand away from your body. Can you keep your fingers perfectly still? Or do they wiggle and twitch?

If you can keep them still, go to PAGE 10.

If your fingers are trembling, even a little, go to PAGE 120.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
My hands are steady.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Perfectly still.

Did they have people with Parkinsons in their target audience or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh hey, been a while since we've had a GOOSEBUMPS cameo/trivia thing, I think.

MelvinBison posted:

My hands are steady.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Liz,” you say, trying to stay calm. “We’ve got a problem.”

“Problem?” Liz asks. “What problem?” She looks right at you. But she doesn’t realize why you’re standing so still. “What is it?” she asks, staring at you.

You move your eyes downward. “My hand,” you whisper softly. “His hand,” you add even more softly.

Liz looks at the Executioner’s fingers wrapped tightly around your hand. As she’s watching, the Executioner raises his index finger and waves it at Liz.

“He’s ALIVE!” she screams.

She lunges forward. Using both hands, she shoves the Executioner backward and throws him completely off balance. The ax goes flying out of his hand.

You scramble over to the ax. It’s yours! As the giant creature tries to get up, you raise the ax over your head.

But before you can bring it down on your black-caped enemy, someone stops you.

“Got you!” says a man’s voice.

quote:

Someone yanks the ax out of your hands. You spin around. Your eyes widen in surprise. Two men in doctor’s masks and overalls are standing behind you. One is tall and thin. The other one is short and round.

“You’re here to finish the exhibits, not to finish them off,” sneers the shorter man.

“Thanks to you, we have to start all over with this Executioner exhibit,” adds the tall man.

What are they talking about? You and Liz are too stunned to ask. You watch the two men lift up the frozen Executioner and carry him to the conveyor belt. Curls of wax litter the floor.

They lay him down on the belt and watch as he disappears through the red velvet streamers. “Dr. Wicked won’t like this. There’s no time for do-overs,” the short man grumbles.

“As for you two,” the other man says, shoving you roughly, “it’s time for you to join your friend. He’s been waiting for you in the Skin Scraping Center.”

“No!” Liz cries. “What have you done to Jake?”

The two men laugh. “Nothing we won’t do to you, too,” the short one promises.

quote:

Liz looks as scared as you feel. “Don’t be afraid,” the man holding her declares. “The dipping doesn’t hurt... for long.”

“You won’t get away with this!” you warn. “Our teacher, Mr. Dunning, is friends with the owner of this place! He made a personal contribution to the museum.”

“You’re the ones who won’t get away,” says your captor. “He doesn’t know it, but the biggest contribution Mr. Dunning made is you kids! You’ll never see your teacher again!”

“That’s right,” adds Liz’s guard. “Dr. Wicked ordered us to make new figures for the unfinished exhibits before the grand opening of the museum tomorrow.”

“The press and television newspeople are arriving in two hours!” adds the tall man. “We’ve got a lot of body dipping to do in a very little time.”

“Body dipping?” you screech. “Where’s Mr. Dunning? Where’s Jake? I demand to see him. Now!” And you start to scream.

“Scream all you like, kid,” says the short one. “Your friend is being processed. It’s done in stages. First the steaming, then the skinning, then the hot wax dipping. It’s hard to create exhibits of such horrifying quality, you know.”

“But this is supposed to be a history museum!” Liz cries.

quote:

“History!” The tall worker laughs. “That’s a good one! The public wants horror, not history. And we aim to please. You’ve already met the Executioner. Soon you’ll meet the others.”

“Others?” you cry. “What others?”

The short man answers. “First things first. There’s no time to steam you. We’ll send you straight to the next step.”

He pulls a red curtain aside. A door in the wall slides open to a dimly-lit hallway. At the far end there’s a glass door with red letters on it. They say SKIN SCRAPING CENTER. And there’s Jake on the other side!

“Jake!” you cry. “Hold on! Were coming to get you!” He’s struggling in the arms of another masked museum worker. Now he’s being strapped onto a rolling stretcher and pushed out of sight. He’s gone again. But at least you know he’s still alive!

“Get moving!” the tall man orders. They push you and Liz through the doorway. The door slides shut behind you and locks.

You and Liz are alone. Now’s the time to make your move. You’ve got to act – before they turn Jake into a statue!

On the wall, two buttons glow. One is yellow. One is green. They look important. Just what you need to create a distraction. But which button should you push? Yellow? Or green?

If you push the yellow button, turn to PAGE 16.

If you push the green button, turn to PAGE 55.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yellow means slow down, right?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Yellow sounds a lot safer than green.

Also, Liz just football tackled this guy and we were about to murder him with his own axe. This book doesn't gently caress around. I love it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also our friend is about to get skinned and then covered in hot wax. That's dark.

Green.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

Also our friend is about to get skinned and then covered in hot wax. That's dark.
And has already been steamed apparently.

Yellow

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Green is best.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It's probably for the better Jake isn't named Sam.

Push green.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yellow

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You push the yellow button. Instantly screams and moans of agony fill your ears. Wall panels open, revealing dioramas on both sides of the hall.

“AAHH!” Liz screams, too. Wax figures from the history of horror pose in gruesome scenes. You’re surrounded by villains and monsters! Not the kind of distraction you had in mind.

Count Dracula bares fangs dripping with the blood of the wax victim in his arms. The Creature from the Black Lagoon drags a screaming woman into a steaming swamp.

Mud Monsters, King Jelly Jam, The Mummy – monsters from every GOOSEBUMPS book you’ve ever read, every movie you’ve ever seen. They’re all here with you in this Exhibit Hall of Horror –

But they’re only wax, you tell yourself. Exhibits in the museum. And all that roaring, screaming, and crying? It’s being pumped in through speakers. Scary, but fake. Right?

Meanwhile, the Skin Scraping Center sign flashes on and off at the end of the hall – reminding you of the real danger ahead!

quote:

There’s no safe place to go. The door behind you is locked. The door ahead of you leads to skin scraping – whatever that is.

But you know you have to get there and save Jake. You and Liz cling to each other as you walk through the Hall of Horrors. Past Count Dracula. Past the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Past the four Monsters. Past all of them.

The hall is about as long as a football field. And about halfway through, you stop. Did you see what you thought you saw?

You study the waxy red drops of blood clinging to Dracula’s fangs. His lips are curled back, showing blood-soaked gums and a crimson tongue. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the scaly Creature from the Black Lagoon in the next exhibit case. His webbed hands clutch the long hair of his victim.

And tighten their grip in front of your eyes!

You weren’t just imagining things! Count Dracula really is turning to focus his red eyes on you. And so are all the figures in this wicked hall of wax.

They’re all alive! Just like the Executioner!

As if they can read your thoughts, suddenly all the wax creatures drop their victims and turn their evil eyes on YOU!

quote:

All at once the living, breathing wax villains step, crawl, and fall out of their horror scenes. Clawed hands, fanged mouths, and slime-covered arms reach out for you and Liz.

You decide not to stick around and find out what they have in mind. “Run, Liz!” you cry over the shouts, moans, and groans of the pack of creatures. “Run to the Skin Center!”

You both make a mad dash for the end of the hall.

But Count Dracula is a step ahead of you! His cold, waxy form steps into your path just before you get to the glass door. He smiles a horrible, fanged smile.

You put on the brakes and take a step back.

The rest of the wax attackers line up behind the Count. The Wolfman howls. The Frankenstein monster groans. Breathing their hot, rancid breath in your faces, they advance on you.

You retreat in sheer terror. Your legs are shaking. Liz’s teeth are chattering.

Looks as if they’ve got you trapped. The door behind you is locked! Remember?

Dracula licks his lips hungrily...

With all these monsters breathing down your necks, there’s only one thing you can think of to do.

quote:

You push the green button. The ceiling above you opens up. A large pair of tongs reaches down and lifts you and Liz up through the opening in the ceiling.

As you rise, you see the floor below speeding downward and away from you. In fact, you realize you’re not moving up at all. The tongs are holding you in place while all that is below you sinks farther and farther away!

“Are they just going to keep us hanging here?” you wonder aloud.

You spoke too soon. A veil of mist gathers at your feet. Your feeling of dangling in midair disappears. Solid ground is under your feet again. You peer down and see that you’re standing on a sidewalk.

The tongs release you and vanish. When you glance up to see what happened to them, you see a row of small apartment buildings. “Hey, what is this place?” you say.

quote:

“It’s so foggy here. Who can tell what this place is?” Liz whispers.

A full moon lights the night sky. A single gas lamp casts weird shadows against the brick walls of the buildings. Liz moves the mist away with her hand and looks around. The gaslight flickers, but nothing else moves. All is quiet. All is still. “It’s a city,” Liz says softly.

“An empty city, it looks like,” you reply a little nervously. “We’re the only ones here.”

A metal garbage can falls over with a crash and a surprised cat wails in the alley. You turn in the direction of the noise.

And scream. “Liz! Look out! Behind you!”

Liz whirls around and gasps. Uh-oh. You’re not the only ones here after all.

quote:

The tall, shadowy figure of a man stands in a swirling cloud of mist. He wears a dark overcoat and a wide-brimmed hat pulled down over his eyes. As the fog clears you see that his hands are stretched out in front of him. He’s reaching for Liz’s throat.

“Look out! He’s going to strangle you!” you exclaim.

Liz ducks. The Strangler keeps reaching for her. This time you reach for her, too. You pull her in the opposite direction and start running.

Are those footsteps behind you? Is the Strangler following you? You desperately want to look back. But it might slow you down.

If you look back over your shoulder, turn to PAGE 50.

If you keep running and don't look back, turn to PAGE 8.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

gently caress no, keep running.

Also, that paragraph starting with "You push the green button." is where we'd have ended up had we pushed the green button initially, right?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Just keep on running, they're coming for you

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Adamant posted:

Also, that paragraph starting with "You push the green button." is where we'd have ended up had we pushed the green button initially, right?

Yep.

quote:

You keep running and don’t look back. You don’t have to see him – now you can hear the Strangler’s footsteps behind you. “Hurry, Liz! He’s following us!”

You run to the entrance door of the brick apartment building closest to you and try the handle. Locked!

The Strangler is catching up.

You hurry to the next door. Locked!

The Strangler is closing in on you.

Liz trips and stumbles. “My ankle!” she cries, hopping on one foot. “I twisted it!”

The Strangler is gaining on you. You drag Liz to the next door. Locked! All locked. There’s only one building left to try. “Liz,” you say, pulling her along behind you, “come on, you’ve got to make it a little farther.”

You reach the door of the last building. “There’s a candle burning in the window on the top floor,” you whisper hoarsely to Liz. “This one’s got to open for us!”

quote:

You turn the handle. The door is unlocked!

You push it open, and pull Liz inside the warm building. There’s a staircase in front of you. You turn back and see the Strangler reaching the walkway leading up to the door. You have only seconds left before he’ll get to you.

You and Liz race up the stairs just steps ahead of the menacing man. He catches you by the hand. “Got you!” he growls.

“Let me go!” you cry, twisting your hand in his. Liz pulls at you as you pull at him. You scratch at his gripping hand with your free hand. Gobs of soft wax are stuck under your fingernails. He’s wax just like all the others.

Wax, but alive, too!

quote:

You twist and scratch until you pull yourself free from the wax madman. You grab Liz and pull her up the stairs. You reach the room where the light is on. There’s no time to knock. You throw open the door –

– and come face-to-face with the tall museum worker who captured you in the Executioner’s room. He’s still wearing his white overalls, but he’s taken off the doctor’s mask.

“I’ve been expecting you,” he says. “You didn’t really think you could get away, did you? You’re staying with us forever.” He looks past you and speaks to the man behind you. “Aren’t they, Strangler?”

You turn to run, but the Strangler’s towering figure blocks the way.

“Why try to leave?” the man in overall snarls. “You should feel honored to be part of the grand opening of the museum.”

While he talks, you search the room with your eyes. You’re looking for anything that might save you and Liz. Then you see it. The candle in the window.

You’ve got an idea! And it just might work.

quote:

With your eye on the candle in the window, you start screaming wildly. You fling your arms in the air and flap your hands. You bob your head up and down like a dashboard doll with a loose spring.

“Grab the kid!” the worker shouts at the Strangler.

Liz can’t believe her eyes. You’ve never gone totally berserk before. You wink at her, and then she gets the idea. Now she shrieks wildly, too!

When the attention turns to Liz, you reach for the candle in the window. You wave the flickering flame in the face of the Strangler. Back and forth, closer and closer to his waxy cheeks.

“No!” the man in overalls screams when he sees what you’re up to. “Not fire! He’ll melt! Take it away!”

It’s too late for the Strangler. From beneath the wide-brimmed hat, flesh-colored wax drips down in a puddle. The museum worker pushes you aside and tries to glob the hot wax back into place. He looks up at you and snarls, “You’ll pay for this. I promise you that!”

quote:

You and Liz waste no time getting out of there. Back down on the street, you gaze up at the building. From the window at the very top, the museum worker sticks his head out and screams, “You’ll pay for this! You’ll pay! We’ve got your friend Jake, and we’ll get you, too!”

“Hurry, Liz,” you say. “We better get out of here.”

She’s groaning and rubbing her ankle. “I can’t run anymore,” she says. “My ankle’s too sore. I need to rest a minute.”

You gaze up the street and see the man in overalls coming out of the building he was in.

Quickly, you pull Liz into the dark doorway of the nearest building. By mistake, she leans back against the door and hits the doorbell.

BZZZZZZ! An ear-stinging buzzer sounds.

The door opens automatically. A long hallway stretches in front of you. At the end of it a woman motions to you to come in. It’s the ticket lady from the lobby of the museum. What’s she doing here? you wonder. Uh-oh. Something’s fishy.

If you turn back, turn to PAGE 43.

If you go inside, turn to PAGE 116.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's go inside.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Trusting Axel saved our asses on the other section of this book, and I don't trust this book telling us something seems fishy.
Go inside.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Let's go inside.

Also, these kids are thirsty for the blood of their enemies.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You go inside the building and slam the door behind you.

Once inside you see a lighted sign on the wall. It flashes: black, red, black, red. When it flashes red, the word FUTURE is spelled out in black. When it flashes black, the word PAST is spelled out in red.

The woman who was selling tickets in the lobby stares into a crystal ball. She’s really a fortune-teller! Well, that explains that wacky purple turban she’s wearing.

As you approach her she looks up at you. “I know all from my crystal ball,” she says mysteriously. “I see you are the ones with no tickets, eh? And how will you pay your way?”

“W-well,” you stammer. “I mean we don’t have any money on us or anything. Mr. Dunning was supposed to…”

“It’s too late for tickets now. You’re already in. What you need is a ticket out!” She swirls her hands over the crystal ball and asks you to make your choice. “Red or black? Future or past? You must decide, and you must decide fast!”

It’s too hard to decide on your own. Let a deck of cards help you. Go find a pack in your house and pick a card.

If you pick a red card for FUTURE, turn to PAGE 23.

If you pick a black card for PAST, turn to PAGE 1.

Since picking a black card just sends us back to page 1 without even bothering to give us a transition, I don't think anyone will be too mad if I skip this choice and pretend we drew a red card.

quote:

“Red!” Liz says. “Like my hair!”

The fortune-teller cackles. Two gold teeth in the front of her mouth glitter in the flashing lights. She looks pleased. “The future it shall be then, my dear.”

A sudden wind blows through the hallway. It swirls and whirls around you, whipping Liz’s hair into your face.

“What’s going on?” you yell.

“What?” Liz yells back. But you can barely hear her! The roaring of the sudden wind fills your ears.

You tuck your head down and lean against the gust. You feel it whip around you like a whirlpool.

It’s so strong! You’re afraid it’s going to rip you apart! It’s like a thousand iron hands, tugging at you.

Then... you notice that your feet are off the ground.

In an enormous WHOOSH, you and Liz are sucked into the heart of a tornado. You shoot upward. Far below you can see the fortune-teller. She’s holding a sign that reads, “The future is yours.”

What can that mean? you think. You’re about to find out.

Take a look at your hand. Can you find your lifeline?

If you don't know how to find your lifeline, turn to PAGE 126.

If finding your lifeline is a piece of cake, turn to PAGE 103.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cake is good.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I don't even get the question. Are there people with invisible lifelines or something? Is it a pop quiz asking you if you know what a lifeline is?

Found mine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Palmreading is dumb. I have no idea what a lifeline is nor do I care to find out.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Which one is that, again?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I found mine.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You stare at the lifeline in your palm. It barely reaches past the middle of your palm.

That’s funny, you think. I could have sworn it used to be longer!

Meanwhile, you’re spinning out of control. You feel like a piece of taffy – all twisted, pulled, and stretched to the limit. You feel suddenly soft and waxy.

“I feel like a licorice Twizzler!” you cry from the funnel.

“Well, I feel like...” Before Liz can say what she feels like, the tornado drops you down in a soft, sticky mountain of marshmallow cream. You’re on top of a cake! Next to you are long twisted things sticking into the marshmallow cream. And these things have wicks sticking out of their tops.

Now you both know exactly what you feel like. You feel like twisted wax candles on a birthday cake!

And that’s exactly what you are. Dr. Wicked’s most brilliant invention is this twisting tornado waxer. Victims caught in the funnel turn to wax. What a strange twist of fate. Your future in the wax museum is as candles burning on the grand opening celebration cake. It will be the beginning for the Wicked Wax Museum. But for you and Liz it will be...

THE END

Don't get me wrong, I love this book. However, I'm about 90% sure this particular section was written by our old ghostwriter friend from books 5 and 9.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Turned into a candle by a tornado because we knew how to find our lifeline.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Leave Axel in the Deboner.
  • Wake the sleeping Sybils.
  • Run through the Sybils.
  • Panic when the Executioner grabs us.
  • Look back over our shoulder.
  • Turn back from the building.
  • Say we can't find our lifeline.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

what

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Honestly I kind of expected a bad ending from knowing how to find our lifeline. Maybe something about panicking because it was so short and something bad happening because of that, but nothing like this!

In any case, let's conveniently forget how to find our lifeline.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

What the actual gently caress

Also this:

Epicmissingno posted:

In any case, let's conveniently forget how to find our lifeline.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So the lesson here is that believing in mystical mumbo jumbo will lead to a horrible fate. I 100% approve. :colbert:

Let's be rightfully ignorant of this lifeline hogwash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You stare at your palm. You don’t have a clue which line on your hand is your lifeline.

“I don’t think I can take this turning much longer,” Liz moans. “I feel like I’m stuck in a blender!”

It’s quieter in the eye of the tornado. So you don’t have any trouble hearing her.

“Me, too,” you say as the wind whips you around and around. “I just want to find Jake and get out of here.”

The tornado funnel carries you up higher and higher. The next time you glance down, you see huge vats of swirling, bubbling, boiling liquid.

Men in white overalls are everywhere. Some are busy mixing. Some are measuring. And some are stirring whatever is in those vats. A strong odor rises up and reaches your nose.

You know exactly what the smell is. Hot wax!

quote:

“Don’t look down!” you warn Liz. It’s too late. She’s already seen what you’ve seen. She knows hot wax when she smells it and she’s panicked!

“I’m not waiting around be dropped into that!” Liz says, batting her arms against the sides of the wind funnel.

Suddenly Liz’s arms break through the solid wall of wind. Right before your eyes, she is sucked out of the funnel!

“Liz!” you shout. Seconds later, her arm reaches in from outside, grabs your arm, and yanks you out, too!

“Ugh!” you say, trying to catch your breath. “My stomach feels like it exploded! I didn’t think we were going to make it for a minute there.”

“Uh-oh,” Liz gulps as she looks around. “I have a feeling we’re not out of danger yet...”

quote:

Liz is right. You’ve just stepped out of the tornado and into the Skin Scraping Center! It’s a laboratory filled with workers in white overalls. They are so busy polishing long steel tables, they don’t see you and Liz standing by an electrical control box in the corner.

Jake is here, still strapped onto the rolling stretcher. His mouth and eyes are covered with silver tape. A worker is pushing the stretcher toward the giant steel tumbler. Its beehive shape and the way it turns around on an axis reminds you of the back of a cement truck.

Another worker opens the tumbler door. The inner walls are lined with sandpaper. The worker turns a dial. Inside, a shower of coarse gravel beats against the sandpapered walls. Anything placed in there will be skinned in seconds!

You watch in horror as Jake is wheeled up the ramp and into the skin scraping machine. “Do something!” Liz cries.

Quickly, you open the control box behind you. Inside are two levers. One is marked POWER. The other says POWER LESS.

If you pull the lever marked POWER, turn to PAGE 48.

If you pull the lever marked POWER LESS, turn to PAGE 15.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Turned into a candle by a tornado because we knew how to find our lifeline.

Achievements
None yet.