Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Removed Glukoza's Schweine, game is unplayable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
"Remember how GTA4 was a miserable pile of poo poo? Well, now there's even -less- reasons to play it."

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I know this has been mentioned literally forever but man, I just could not get over how every cutscene was him going 'I just don't want to be a criminal anymore' and everygameplay bit was GTA. Who thought that was a good idea?

I bought GTA5 in a sale forever ago but haven't managed to play more than the intro mission because I have it on steam and it drives me nuts to shoot with a controller, but I also can't stand driving with a KB+M, so I've yet to find a solution to that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Agent355 posted:

I know this has been mentioned literally forever but man, I just could not get over how every cutscene was him going 'I just don't want to be a criminal anymore' and everygameplay bit was GTA. Who thought that was a good idea?
It seemed to work on all those reviewers handing out 10/10s and praising the mature storytelling! That said, it's not quite as bad as you describe. Niko pays some lip service in a few cutscenes to wanting to do something different but he knows perfectly well that he's only good at violence and killing and, judging from his lines during gameplay, enjoys it.

GTA IV is an absolute mess where they couldn't decide whether to make a serious gangster story or a silly GTA thing full of ridiculous shenanigans and dumb jokes, so they tried to combine the two and pleased pretty much no one except the reviewers in the process. Also, nearly all missions (about ten of which are actually important to the story) consist of "drive here and shoot a bunch of dudes in some warehouse or apartment building" with barely any variety to speak of, and most of them are so tightly scripted you can't even think outside the box. Want to steal a car at the start of the bank heist mission? Too bad! All vehicles are now locked, so better get running so we can show off our setpieces we ripped off from Heat.

quote:

I bought GTA5 in a sale forever ago but haven't managed to play more than the intro mission because I have it on steam and it drives me nuts to shoot with a controller, but I also can't stand driving with a KB+M, so I've yet to find a solution to that.
Just switch on the fly? Use the controller when driving, then put it down and switch to KB/M for shooty bits.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The lovely parts where they're like NU-UH DON'T DRIVE remind me of the Bad Trip mission in SR2 that locks you at maximum level stoned and places you in running distance of your home base while it's under attack. You can totally run to the objective, gunning down enemy gang members, but if you turn around, there's a very fast sports car spawn right behind you and they're quite happy to let you try to drive it home while the camera swings wildly out of control and you crash into an old woman

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Doc Morbid posted:

It seemed to work on all those reviewers handing out 10/10s and praising the mature storytelling! That said, it's not quite as bad as you describe. Niko pays some lip service in a few cutscenes to wanting to do something different but he knows perfectly well that he's only good at violence and killing and, judging from his lines during gameplay, enjoys it.

GTA IV is an absolute mess where they couldn't decide whether to make a serious gangster story or a silly GTA thing full of ridiculous shenanigans and dumb jokes, so they tried to combine the two and pleased pretty much no one except the reviewers in the process. Also, nearly all missions (about ten of which are actually important to the story) consist of "drive here and shoot a bunch of dudes in some warehouse or apartment building" with barely any variety to speak of, and most of them are so tightly scripted you can't even think outside the box. Want to steal a car at the start of the bank heist mission? Too bad! All vehicles are now locked, so better get running so we can show off our setpieces we ripped off from Heat.

San Andreas has you spend most of the game being blackmailed under the threat of being framed for killing a single cop when you'll probably kill a dozen of them on your own before you even start the second mission and CJ also complains about being dragged back into a life of a crime while going on drive-bys and robberies with his homies. The storytelling in GTA games has always been pretty bad, it just wasn't until IV that the fidelity was high enough and the novelty had worn out its welcome enough for it to really start to drag.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Balad of Gay Tony did tone best out of the 4 series. Mostly by just giving you the wackier missions and not really questioning it too much. Luis not really caring about MY CRIMES helps too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't like either of them, but I appreciate IV more than V because at least it had focus. The American Dream is bullshit, crime doesn't pay, the cycle of revenge only ends when everyone is dead, killing doesn't make the emptiness inside you go away, etc. I feel that if it weren't a GTA-branded game it might've been much better received.

Now V, what was even the point of anything? The Heists that got promoted so much ended up being almost pointless, with the very last one being the only that gave you any sort of decent reward, and it still wasn't enough to actually go wild buying things.

The "Rockstar Satire" was embarrassing, shallow, like old men rambling "Government Bad", "Social Media Bad". Watch_Dogs2 was pretty much a cartoon by how exaggerated it was, but it made more of a point that technology can be harmful than anything in GTAV. Mafia 3 was a full-blown African American power fantasy where you get to feel every drop of racism and get back at everyone who did it.

And the characters, it's like they had the concepts but they forgot to actually do something with them.

Michael got rich but he was miserable, his family hated him and he was somewhat eager to get back into action but they never actually go deep into that. They leave him for a while and then come back. The end.

Franklin wants to get out of the hood, he gets a mansion and then that's it. Really? There's no institutional racism in San Andreas? Couldn't have added some scenes with a neighbor asking if he was the pool boy or the police stopping him during a walk and trying to take him back where he belongs? You just move to a nice place and all your problems are gone?

You spend the entirety if Trevor's intro building up Trevor Phillips Industries and then he just fucks off and it's never mentioned again. Why not have a side story of him building a little drug empire in the backwoods? An unhinged, insane Walter White that does not even have a real reason to do it, he just wants to have a blast.

But no, 90% of the game is the stupid FIB plot, you kill all the bad guys and everyone gets away with it, happily ever after.

Of course, the real cash cow was the Online and it made billions so who cares about single player anyway. :shrugs:

And finally, I’ll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

And finally, I’ll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

Sir this is a KFC. McDonalds is down the road.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
That actually -was- an order at a chicken restaurant though...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Michael was bad like 90% of the game, Franklin had all the character of some damp cardboard, Trevor's poo poo from literally scene 1, as already said the ~satire~ was embarrassingly awful too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jukebox Hero posted:

That actually -was- an order at a chicken restaurant though...

Well I'm in England, we don't do numbers like that. We use a combination of words and gestures that together form something we call language.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's OK to say you didn't get the joke, dummy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

So wait, this isn't just a "All newly sold games will have these songs removed" like with Allen Wake, but a flat out "We are patching your game to remove these songs you were listening to previously"?

I dunno if Alan Wake is a great example, seeing as how you literally can't buy it on Steam any more due to the rights issues.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Samuringa posted:

Of course, the real cash cow was the Online and it made billions so who cares about single player anyway. :shrugs:

What I dont get is how anyone can look at the absolute shitshow that is GTA online, think about the ridiculous pile of money that it made, and still be excited for any upcoming rockstar project. That's going to be their focus now, how could it not be considering the money/actual effort ratio, not any kind of compelling single player campaign. I will be completely shocked if the next red dead comes out and DOESN'T have the ability to buy horse insurance with real world cash in case anyone in red dead online steals your horse, which you also paid for with real world cash. Or more accurately with gold nuggets you bought with real world cash. Be prepared for online cattle ranching where you can raid other players to steal their cattle (or earn them through play at a rate of approximately 1.5 cows per day so they can say "Everything can be earned in game! The purchases are player choice!", neglecting to mention "if you play the game continuously for 47 years") , buy guards and barbed wire to protect your own cattle, and a half assed single player mode mainly designed to get the game into peoples houses long enough for a percentage of them to get hooked on the online. The real money is in exploiting the addictive personalities and poor impulse control of "whales".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GTAV remains like the most mystifying product to me. The singleplayer is tedious and the multiplayer is basically absolutely nothing that I think of when I think of GTA combined with a korean MMO grind yet its sold like 50 million copies.

On the other hand I know a dude who bought GTAV on launch amd basically has not bought a game since and spent 0 dollars on it so congrats to him

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i liked gta 4, fight me

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

yet its sold like 50 million copies.

As I've heard it, sales figures might be inflated due to people buying copies bundled with GTA Online currency just for the funny money thanks to it sometimes being cheaper to do so.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

im pooping! posted:

i liked gta 4, fight me

I did too, bowling with Roman and all.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ok what the gently caress Persona 5?! This si the first goddamn dungeon, why the gently caress do you have a baddie that I literally have to loving fight that has an attack that can just straight up kill any of my party in one go? And then why the gently caress does he then get to goddamn go again?!? Boom, Ann/Ryuji dies, then instantly boom, Joker dies, game over, gently caress you go redo like 9 battles just to get back to this point! :bang: :tizzy:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
On top of that, any game which you insta-lose when the main character gets knocked out.

Double or triple shame on that game if you have no real control over your other members or that game has really hard hitting enemies.

Losing due to RMG, even when you have 15 revive items is hot bullshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Witcher 3 is cool and all but Geralt controls really funny when you're trying to loot or even turn around. He seems like he weighs 10 pounds. And still WAY too much time is spent in the sub menus and navigating those is a pain. Even stuff like equipping and slotting stuff always seems a little clunky and often unclear. I think they could have simplified those a bit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

On top of that, any game which you insta-lose when the main character gets knocked out.

Double or triple shame on that game if you have no real control over your other members or that game has really hard hitting enemies.

Losing due to RMG, even when you have 15 revive items is hot bullshit.

Sometimes that actually makes sense; Baldur's Gate was one game where it did.

But yeah unless there's an actual storyline reason for it that's generally loving stupid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

GTAV remains like the most mystifying product to me. The singleplayer is tedious and the multiplayer is basically absolutely nothing that I think of when I think of GTA combined with a korean MMO grind yet its sold like 50 million copies.

On the other hand I know a dude who bought GTAV on launch amd basically has not bought a game since and spent 0 dollars on it so congrats to him

Rockstar spent nearly as much money marketing the game as they did making it, it's going to work. Combine that with gamers and their general dumb consumer mentality and the game is like catnip to them. A lot of people pre-ordered it blindly and waited a long time for it only to be later told that the original release was actually garbage and that the PS4 version was the "real" version of the game which really kind of preys upon the kind of person who pre-orders games so they feel compelled to sink more money into something they already spent fifty dollars on so they didn't waste their time and cash. PC players had like, what? A year of people talking about how awesome GTAV was before the PC version came out and by the time they realized how lovely it was, they couldn't get a refund since both the main game and the online portion have very long tutorials you have to muddle through before you can even get to playing and everything is so slowly paced by the time you've realized every aspect of the game is like that, your two hour grace period is over.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I also remember that on Steam, the first time it went on :airquote: sale :airquote: they reduced the retail price of the game, but they bundled it with GTAOnline funbux - which brought the price back up to normal. And you had to buy the funbux bundle, you couldn't buy just the game. If you had no interest in GTAOnline, welp

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, early God of War fights feel really damage spongey. Feels like enemy HP is out of whack with the threat they pose.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Ok what the gently caress Persona 5?! This si the first goddamn dungeon, why the gently caress do you have a baddie that I literally have to loving fight that has an attack that can just straight up kill any of my party in one go? And then why the gently caress does he then get to goddamn go again?!? Boom, Ann/Ryuji dies, then instantly boom, Joker dies, game over, gently caress you go redo like 9 battles just to get back to this point! :bang: :tizzy:

If it's the angel dude, are you guarding? I wanna say I remember the game explicitly enough going like "This is your real tutorial on guarding, this poo poo'll kill you".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, early God of War fights feel really damage spongey. Feels like enemy HP is out of whack with the threat they pose.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find out the executioner move (hold down R2) existed which speeds up fights a lot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm not going to make any excuses for it because "TPK From A Random Mob" is MegaTen's brand but the first dungeon is much harder than every single one that comes after because you don't have a good variety of Personas and Party Members yet. By the second or third one, you'll be cruising through anything that comes in your way.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yardbomb posted:

If it's the angel dude, are you guarding? I wanna say I remember the game explicitly enough going like "This is your real tutorial on guarding, this poo poo'll kill you".

No, it was the second of those guard captains that have the eyes you need to get past the scythe bridge. I couldn't do enough damage in one go from the team to kill them, even with weaknesses and baton passes. I got past that finally, just through luck of them not using twin fang or w/e it is to hit the MC.

That was really the only part that's come across as overly hard to me so far, any other death I can see where/how I hosed up to cause it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I also remember that on Steam, the first time it went on :airquote: sale :airquote: they reduced the retail price of the game, but they bundled it with GTAOnline funbux - which brought the price back up to normal. And you had to buy the funbux bundle, you couldn't buy just the game. If you had no interest in GTAOnline, welp

Seems a few of the big players pull this poo poo during sales now, but Rockstar are especially fond of minorly discounting the bundle instead of the base game. It's real lovely.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

poptart_fairy posted:

It's OK to say you didn't get the joke, dummy.

Don't be mean to Bio he is a beautiful soul and admits all his mistakes.

Bio, did you ever play Haunted Mansion on the ps2? It's a gloriously janky puzzle platformer with simple combat and, at least for me, tons of great atmosphere, with the big thing dragging it down being a puzzle in a very vertical art gallery where you change the paintings as you walk past them, and you can go into some for new pathways as you work your way up to the top floor of the room. Then, the puzzle becomes "use yourself as a Plinko piece and drop past the paintings you haven't set correctly so they're the right image"

The only problem is that I don't think they ever actually explain what the gently caress you're supposed to do, so either I'm an idiot or it's trial and error(note: I am a huge idiot so it might be both), which gets a lot worse when you have to schlep back up to the top floor every time you gently caress it up.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Apr 29, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

Don't be mean to Bio he is a beautiful soul and admits all his mistakes.

Bio, did you ever play Haunted Mansion on the ps2? It's a gloriously janky puzzle platformer with simple combat and, at least for me, tons of great atmosphere, with the big thing dragging it down being a puzzle in a very vertical art gallery where you change the paintings as you walk past them, and you can go into some for new pathways as you work your way up to the top floor of the room. Then, the puzzle becomes "use yourself as a Plinko piece and drop past the paintings you haven't set correctly so they're the right image"

The only problem is that I don't think they ever actually explain what the gently caress you're supposed to do, so either I'm an idiot or it's trial and error(note: I am a huge idiot so it might be both), which gets a lot worse when you have to schlep back up to the top floor every time you gently caress it up.

Play it? That was my first completed LP on this website. https://lparchive.org/Haunted-Mansion/

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RagnarokAngel posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find out the executioner move (hold down R2) existed which speeds up fights a lot.

Well poo poo.

Game's opening up a little, just met a healer lady, so I'm hoping things speed up in the long run. Previous GoW games had the same problem of multiple combos for even basic enemies.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tower of Time is a really neat RPG dungeon crawler. Combat is very tactical and positioning based, it plays like a real-time Original Sin.

UI and visual design however, is a clusterfuck. Given that a lot of the combat comes from area control and AoE effects (raising walls, drawing little paths for your spells) it quickly becomes incomprehensible, and the game does not do anything to help.

Some fucker is healing all of the enemies, I can't even tell if I'm doing damage. I also can't tell who is doing the healing, because the game simply gives you lists of their abilities before combat, there's no icons in the actual battle to tell you who does what, and I can't remember which of the 8 enemies in this fight does what. I have no idea what the two red circles are doing. The three (four? five?) lightning cages are capable of killing my wizards in about 5 seconds, and the damage radius is slightly larger than the visuals. The only indication that my elf is about to die horribly is the tiny little red symbol by his portrait.

It's a shame, because the combat is seriously good. But it takes every minor visual/UI annoyance from every other cRPG and does them all with gusto.

Oh, they also reccomend you play with only the "slowdown" option, not full-pause. gently caress that noise.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Samuringa posted:

It really sounds like you were missing something, they'd have to be terrible designers to have a fight like that in the terms you said.

Nope! I just unlocked the recipe for the revival item, which requires gathering an ingredient you can only find on maps that unlock after you beat said 3000HP boss.
Guarding well and using healing items makes it not-impossible, it's just sort of a slog.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Sounds like another Atelier game I'll be skipping then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samuringa posted:

The only good Atelier games were the first two Atelier Iris games for the PS2.

EDIT: And I use Good loosely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hate how easily air can avoid anti air shots in planetside 2 by simply wiggling. In place. Imagine how a leaf moves around as it falls off a tree. Now imagine its still moving around like that, but its staying in place. My AA turret has a bullet velocity of 1km/s. Supposedly. I shouldn't have to lead my shots at a target who is barely 100 meters in front of me.

Also I hate alerts. It turns into a 2 on 1 dogpile. Whenever an alert happens and its my faction trying to capture the continent I switch characters. Nothing like the other 2 factions dropping their entire population down your territory. E: Even then, switching to the other teams just leads to a boring rushing down the single faction's lane with overwhelming numbers that the other team literally cannot compete against cause they're using their numbers against the third faction.

Leal has a new favorite as of 00:51 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Samuringa posted:

I found the combat to be better than Sophie. If you update your armor most enemies won't do too much damage. Other than said story boss there wasn't ever a fight where I needed revival items.

E: your characters cannot be targeted and regenerate HP/MP on the back row so if you're low on healing you can also just swap them out. So yeah, other than the unexpectedly persona-esque wall of HP bossfight, it's decent.

Lunar Suite has a new favorite as of 13:08 on May 1, 2018