Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alacron posted:

If a remake tries to include an Akechi redemption arc then I am 100% done with this franchise, gently caress Akechi.

Also the blood type thing is dumb, Japanese writers include that because they think that "blood type personalities" are a thing.

Honestly, the Persona villain "redemption" arc I'd be most interested in is is teaming up with rear end in a top hat Adachi for some reason. It wouldn't really be a redemption story, at the end of the adventure he still goes back to jail, you just have to work with him for a while and he's a bitter sarcastic jerk about everything the whole time. Basically what happened in the Persona Arena DLC, but more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

HIJK posted:

Hahaha wow cool there are new posts in the P5 thread I wonder what--

oh.

You'll never see it comin~~~~

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The next episode preview makes it look like they're going to timeskip so that the later party members get screen time. Also the OP makes some things blatantly obvious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

just lol at the last page

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Name a game that has homeopathic medicine as a game mechanic or a AAA title where you choose your character's astrological sign (Elder Scrolls doesn't count, I'm talking making your Fallout 4 or Mass Effect character a Sagittarius because it fits their character)

Far cry 5 pots are called "homoeopathics" :coal:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Individually and collectively, people have a strong aversion to changes to their status quo, and don't reliably change their beliefs even when they're proven wrong. That's not a cultural issue. That's a human issue.

Japan is just really, really bad about it. Look at the Abe government, for example.

The problem Japan has with the status quo is one of the major themes of P5, even.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Japan is just really, really bad about it. Look at the Abe government, for example.

The problem Japan has with the status quo is one of the major themes of P5, even.

The major theme of P5 is that immediately once you turn 21 in Japan you turn into a huge jackass, if not outright evil.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Your sidequests even had you go after people who were in high school and doing terrible things to their friends and partners, even

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, are any of the Persona series/movie(s?) worth a watch? I've only played 5 but I plan on playing 3 and 4 eventually, I don't mind spoilers though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, are any of the Persona series/movie(s?) worth a watch? I've only played 5 but I plan on playing 3 and 4 eventually, I don't mind spoilers though.

No.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m up to Palace 7 and feel I’ve been pretty thorough throughout the game, but the average levelling stat is 10 levels above me. Things are quite easy as they are, but I’m curious whether Mementos grinding is the norm or if there’s some relationship skill I missed. I maxxed out Mishima.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Azran posted:

4 had a decent series, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to you over the game itself.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Azran posted:

Persona Anime Tier List:
S: Persona 4: The Animation :worship:
A: Persona 5: The Animation (Standing could change)
B: Persona 4: The Golden Animation (Marie :/ )
C: Persona 3 Movies :geno:
F: Persona: Trinity Soul :barf:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

we watched the first episode of the P5 animation but why would I want to watch an anime of the game instead of just playing the game again?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

we watched the first episode of the P5 animation but why would I want to watch an anime of the game instead of just playing the game again?

Because one takes dozens of hours less then the other?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anime doesnt exist for its own sake it exists to be a 30 minute advertisement for the game. its fundamentally no different from an oxyclean informercial.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

the anime doesnt exist for its own sake it exists to be a 30 minute advertisement for the game. its fundamentally no different from an oxyclean informercial.
*Casts lighten up on Endorph.....it failed!*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean im not being a downer, even fairly stock adaptations usually have a few good points, dude just asked why theyd watch the anime when theyve already played the game and the answer is that its not really made for people whove played the game

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

i mean im not being a downer, even fairly stock adaptations usually have a few good points, dude just asked why theyd watch the anime when theyve already played the game and the answer is that its not really made for people whove played the game
To get more of what you love and enjoyed about the game? The characterizations in 4 are really good for example. They fleshed out Narukami and he is a lot more interesting than his silent portrayal in the game. I've seen it with people that haven't played the game and they enjoyed it. You are saying its not made for people whove played the game but that's not true because I played the game and enjoyed it so... :p

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Azran posted:

Watch Persona 4: The Animation after you've played the game, I recommend the English dub since the jokes will land easier if you're an English speaker. It doesn't recreate the game but it is very very funny.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I did it, finally beat the game.

P5 is a very, I want to say /even/ RPG. There's no part of the game I can point to as a major down point where I wasn't having any fun and just wanted it over with. Equally whilst the ending was consistent with that feeling, I feel like the story went on maybe a dungeon too long.

In the end, defeating Shido felt more climactic than the actual end. I never really felt any personal stake in "Evil magic grail" controls humanity, especially with the Igor heel turn and subsequent explanation coming almost out of nowhere. Additionally I feel like, despite being an important part of gameplay, Confidant ratings handicap the game's ability to create a resonant story arc between main characters. Since so much development is there, a lot of the rest is just shorn away from the main game, which through the necessity of being more direct would likely have more impact.

It was great fun, worth my time, but of the two big 2017 JRPGs I played, I /probably/ liked Xenoblade Chronicles 2 more, despite being much more uneven. I think I was more in love with the characters by the end so the ending itself was better for me.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Just finished Persona 4 Golden. God drat that ending took forever, game felt like it was gonna end like 4 times.

Overall I think I liked 5 more but 4 has a lot of stronger individual moments, and the party seems to be more fleshed out overall. I also liked the stuff with Marie (including the cool remix of the boss theme) but I can understand why folks don't. The tsundere poo poo can grate on your nerves.

I'm glad I decided to play through it, game was a fun ride. I guess now all that's left is to wait for Persona 6, if that's ever a thing.

I've seen bits of P4 The Animation on YouTube and I might try to track down the whole thing, it seems pretty funny. It's a bit weird to see the MC with a personality since unlike Joker he didn't seem to really have a pre-established one in the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm still hoping that one day the Persona series will ditch the silent protagonist thing and let you play a regular, talking one. Compared to P4/P4G, I vastly preferred Yu as the talking protagonist he was in P4 Arena and P4: DAN. He didn't have a strong personality, but they managed to portray him well as a person who doesn't make much of himself most of the time, but steps up when needed.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BlackFrost posted:

Just finished Persona 4 Golden. God drat that ending took forever, game felt like it was gonna end like 4 times.

Overall I think I liked 5 more but 4 has a lot of stronger individual moments, and the party seems to be more fleshed out overall. I also liked the stuff with Marie (including the cool remix of the boss theme) but I can understand why folks don't. The tsundere poo poo can grate on your nerves.

I'm glad I decided to play through it, game was a fun ride. I guess now all that's left is to wait for Persona 6, if that's ever a thing.

I've seen bits of P4 The Animation on YouTube and I might try to track down the whole thing, it seems pretty funny. It's a bit weird to see the MC with a personality since unlike Joker he didn't seem to really have a pre-established one in the game.

You did get the For Real And Actually True ending, right

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Instant Grat posted:

Are you sure you want to go home?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Instant Grat posted:

I got the Golden Ending, yeah.

Speaking of: Wow they just straight up copy-pasted that fight for P5's final boss, huh?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think so, no.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

I did it, finally beat the game.

P5 is a very, I want to say /even/ RPG. There's no part of the game I can point to as a major down point where I wasn't having any fun and just wanted it over with. Equally whilst the ending was consistent with that feeling, I feel like the story went on maybe a dungeon too long.

In the end, defeating Shido felt more climactic than the actual end. I never really felt any personal stake in "Evil magic grail" controls humanity, especially with the Igor heel turn and subsequent explanation coming almost out of nowhere.

I agree about the ending all the way down to it should've ended one dungeon earlier. The thing that really bugged me was that I kinda liked the bad end where you take Fake Igor's deal better than the true end. They build it up like by freeing the collective consciousness of the nation you'll be saving them but after it's all over... nothing seems to have changed? I guess Shido doesn't get elected (or at least doesn't take office? I was a little unclear on that election situation) but we already dealt with him. They seem to be implying and in that one mid-fight cutscene explicitly saying that beating the grail/god will cause people to wake up and see the world around them, that there'll be a change to the status quo, that you're changing the hearts of everybody; but you still get tossed in juvenile hall for your troubles and have shady government agents tailing you at the end. You never see or hear over the TV/radio about any of the great things you may have caused.

The bad end on the other hand implies you keep your superpowers and continue going and righting wrongs. How am I supposed to feel this is the bad choice?

Either way I do agree that Shido should've been the end but I guess they felt the need to make the final boss more "epic".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TwoPair posted:

The bad end on the other hand implies you keep your superpowers and the Phantom Thieves go on stealing hearts and righting wrongs. How am I supposed to feel this is the bad choice?

You're doing it alone - there's no mention of any of the other Phantom Thieves (since if you recall, they're holed up in the Velvet Room). So you're literally abandoning your friends to chase a hero dream.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhhh that makes sense...

Well poo poo then, complaint redacted.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The last little bit of P5 feels like they wanted to do the true ending thing of Persona 4 again, but decided to weave it into the main plot through the fake Igor and oops we have to make it mandatory now.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're doing it alone - there's no mention of any of the other Phantom Thieves (since if you recall, they're holed up in the Velvet Room). So you're literally abandoning your friends to chase a hero dream.

My understanding was that if you take the deal you go out and free your friends and you bullshit that you managed to sort it all out and they buy it and become part of the new corrupt world order.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

My understanding was that if you take the deal you go out and free your friends and you bullshit that you managed to sort it all out and they buy it and become part of the new corrupt world order.

This is correct as the news refers to the PT as a plural. They're out there and so are you.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is there a separate Catherine thread or can we talk about the new remastered Catherine game here? Because I have a lot of mixed feelings about the new date-able girl Rin, who is most likely a transwoman. On the one hand, I'm always up for more LGBT representation in games, on the other hand the first Catherine was kind of awful in the way it portrayed women and gender roles in general so I'm a little afraid of what they'll do with her?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
My fave thing in this game is Akechi getting rapturous applause with his “jokes”.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is there a separate Catherine thread or can we talk about the new remastered Catherine game here? Because I have a lot of mixed feelings about the new date-able girl Rin, who is most likely a transwoman. On the one hand, I'm always up for more LGBT representation in games, on the other hand the first Catherine was kind of awful in the way it portrayed women and gender roles in general so I'm a little afraid of what they'll do with her?

We all are, but there's no real reason to talk in circles about it until we actually know how it plays out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Terper posted:

We all are, but there's no real reason to talk in circles about it until we actually know how it plays out.

Fair enough, I only brought it up because I just found out about it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

This is correct as the news refers to the PT as a plural. They're out there and so are you.

Well tbf though, the only reason the news even knew there were multiple PTs was because of calling cards saying so. So even if the others are trapped in the Velvet Room or wherever, as long as Joker kept sending out calling cards saying there were multiple thieves, no one can call it a lie or anything.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well tbf though, the only reason the news even knew there were multiple PTs was because of calling cards saying so. So even if the others are trapped in the Velvet Room or wherever, as long as Joker kept sending out calling cards saying there were multiple thieves, no one can call it a lie or anything.

Then it's probably up to personal interpretation :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Phantom Theives of CHARs found an interesting batch of text referring to an unused dungeon.

https://pastebin.com/JwPcdzsm Spoilers