Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved Men In Black's christmas joke - Santa isn't an alien. They don't know what the gently caress is going on there, it's above even Zed's paygrade. All they know is that their job extends to protecting him when he goes on his rounds.

Spoilered because it's a good enough twist that you should just watch the episode. Although the best episode bar none is the one with the Arquillians dealing with their rival species, who hate them simply because the planet Arquillia is very slightly bigger than their own planet.

It follows an Arquillian (little man in the robot human suit, same species as the guy that mistranslated Orion's Collar in the movie.) who is stuck in the MiB headquarters in protective custody after telling the MiB that his people have been disappearing from New York, who ends up alone stood on the Twin's desk, lost and confused and afraid for his home, while all these giant agents have to offer are base platitudes that even they no longer believe, and none of them are equipped to deal with his emotional worries because they keep zapping their own away so thoroughly that they are basically hard to even consider human anymore. They take for granted that they will save the day, so just chill out and let it happen, and just because they are used to their planet being in danger (as Kay puts it in the movie, there is always some invasion or death ray aimed at this pathetic planet, so deal with it) doesn't mean he is.

The only comfort he gets is from one of the worms, who initially make fun of him for asking for decaf when he first arrives, but one of them comes over when he is clearly distressed and feeling ignored, with a cup of decaf. It's a sweet moment from an idiotic character. It's nice when the show admits that the agents, due to being so badly detached by design, are sometimes not good or healthy people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, the MIB cartoon and Jackie Chan Adventures was so good, gonna have to dig those up again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yardbomb posted:

Man, the MIB cartoon and Jackie Chan Adventures was so good, gonna have to dig those up again.

Just be warned that Jackie Chan Adventures last season is very mediocre, and that MIB The Series has a noticeable quality drop after the first season(mostly in animation quality rather than writing though)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It very hard not to jump the shark.

Ah yes Shendu had a son and he time traveled back to kill Jade and........also he's going to absorbed all the demon energy for power.

Ah yes L is going to become a field agent with an Alien partner and some "wacky" alien is going to be the new lab tech character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

e, and that MIB The Series has a noticeable quality drop after the first season(mostly in animation quality rather than writing though)

I thought that the first 3 seasons were great, but heard the fourth is where it suffers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

It very hard not to jump the shark.

Ah yes Shendu had a son and he time traveled back to kill Jade and........also he's going to absorbed all the demon energy for power.

Ah yes L is going to become a field agent with an Alien partner and some "wacky" alien is going to be the new lab tech character.

Yeah I'm not sure how they thought Season 5 was a good idea at all

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought that the first 3 seasons were great, but heard the fourth is where it suffers.

That's true, I'm just warning about the animation drop

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really liked Alpha, and the expansion on Jeebs and his family.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm really not sure why you have this obsession with cheese...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

You do a diservice by not mentioning The opening

How does Hasbro own this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The lab tech alien? I dunno, I liked him. He wasn't exactly wacky but a pretty upbeat and friendly guy in contrast to the businesslike MIBs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the last season of MIB, the writing really tanked, everything became more gimmicky, and as the wacky yet shallow scientist alien came in, Elle got reduced to a really weak role. The color palette also changed at the end too, they dropped the washed-out aesthetic and all the colors got way more saturated. That last bit happened with a few cartoon series towards the end, I wonder if there was a reason for that.

I've been rewatching Penguins of Madagascar lately, and it's still one of my favorites. It starts out a little weak, but by the time Dr. Blowhole starts showing up it's gold. All the rapid sudden movements give a real aesthetic to the 3D animation that a lot of CGI cartoons lack. Jeff Bennett is also great.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

How does Hasbro own this?

Through the toy line by all indications.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

In the last season of MIB, the writing really tanked, everything became more gimmicky, and as the wacky yet shallow scientist alien came in, Elle got reduced to a really weak role. The color palette also changed at the end too, they dropped the washed-out aesthetic and all the colors got way more saturated. That last bit happened with a few cartoon series towards the end, I wonder if there was a reason for that.
Just as a guess based on the time period, they may have switched over to digital ink & paint.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Talks of Inspector Gadget and Life with Louie here and it's tripping my nostalgia button like crazy, given that I watched Fox Kids for quite a while.

Anyone remembering the Fox Kid leaders that looked like someone playing a game? I do...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Folt The Bolt posted:

Anyone remembering the Fox Kid leaders that looked like someone playing a game? I do...

I miss Loafy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOgoew5K4w

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
As far as I'm concerned the MIB cartoon has the best intro ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAePIyC4kQ

It almost makes me wish for a more serious cartoon in the same style.

Related, I always think that the crazy alien designs they came up with for the show and the first movie were so great and creative.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 30, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Macrame_God posted:

It still blows my mind that The Toxic Avenger managed to get a kids animated series adaption. Robocop I can understand because it was really popular, but Toxie?

I met Lloyd Kaufman at Comiccon this year and told him I got into his films because I liked Toxic Crusaders when I was 5 or 6 so my dad showed me The Toxic Avenger

Lloyd Kaufman looked horrified that a 6 year old had watched Toxic Avenger

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

khwarezm posted:

Related, I always think that the crazy alien designs they came up with for the show and the best movie were so great and creative.

That is what I love about Thomas Perkins. He was a big inspiration for me growing up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Related, I always think that the crazy alien designs they came up with for the show and the first movie were so great and creative.

Big Guy and Rusty was kind of a more serious cartoon with the same style.

I think the cartoon's continual acknowledgement that it was kinda silly put it way ahead of the movie sequels, which fell into the trap of caring too much about being serious and forgot that the original was half-joke, even if it was doing cool worldbuilding and K was totally stonefaced throughout it all.

In the original movie, MIB headquarters was basically an airport. All the crazy wonderment of this big sci-fi world is cast in a totally mundane light. For the most part, aliens were just people living their lives, J went through a whole thing in training where he saw most of the vicious-looking aliens as just minding their business. In the sequels they focused a lot more heavily on aliens as threats they protected the world from. The only friendly aliens are the ones who were in the first movie, the losers hanging around headquarters and gutter trash that K shook down for information. Really rubs in how things have changed since 9/11.

Of course, if you go back to the original 1990 comic series that the movie was inspired by, it's everything bad about the CIA overseas wrapped up in a little package, except more brutal, less oversight, and the agents are practically as much of a threat to the world as the antagonists they fight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FilthyImp posted:

You know it would have had
* recurring Alien antagonist with some kind of unique color/feature
* probably a main baddie that was a XenoDroid hybrid wanting to 'spread the perfection of the Aliens across the galaxy'
* specially crafted weapons for each marine on Ripley's Bug Hunter squad
* some cutesy Alienish pet that fights with Ripley's cat
* a S2 or S3 where the Bug Hunters get a badass Artificial Robotic NonLinear Defenser (ARNLD) unit and the weapons shoot nets or energy stun rounds instead of lasers.

Semi related, I just watched the second Pacific Rim movie tonight and it felt like a pilot to what a Pacific Rim Saturday morning cartoon would have been like if it were made in the '90s, pretty much matching your hypothetical Alien description.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Big Guy and Rusty was kind of a more serious cartoon with the same style.

I think the cartoon's continual acknowledgement that it was kinda silly put it way ahead of the movie sequels, which fell into the trap of caring too much about being serious and forgot that the original was half-joke, even if it was doing cool worldbuilding and K was totally stonefaced throughout it all.

In the original movie, MIB headquarters was basically an airport. All the crazy wonderment of this big sci-fi world is cast in a totally mundane light. For the most part, aliens were just people living their lives, J went through a whole thing in training where he saw most of the vicious-looking aliens as just minding their business. In the sequels they focused a lot more heavily on aliens as threats they protected the world from. The only friendly aliens are the ones who were in the first movie, the losers hanging around headquarters and gutter trash that K shook down for information. Really rubs in how things have changed since 9/11.

Of course, if you go back to the original 1990 comic series that the movie was inspired by, it's everything bad about the CIA overseas wrapped up in a little package, except more brutal, less oversight, and the agents are practically as much of a threat to the world as the antagonists they fight.

I liked the episode where Jeebs' brother first shows up and Jay tries to get intel by posing as Jeebs - Jeebs and Kay are in the other room listening in and Jeebs is fairly concerned about how this meeting will go. Kay assures Jeebs that Jay knows him well enough to have all his mannerisms down pat, but Jeebs makes one last observation that raises the stakes:

"Some things you can't act Kay..."
"What are you getting at?"
"Jay's head don't grow back!"

Jeebs' brother's favourite way of greeting him is to blow his head off because he finds it funny and their family have the whole "Regenerate from any injury" power - but only their family. Jeebs was generally quite smartly used, like one time they walk into his shop to find an enormous mess on the ceiling that turns out to be Jeebs - a bad customer, and villain of the week, shook Jeebs down pretty badly and Jeebs deliberately was waiting until the coast was clear before regenerating himself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the episode where Jeebs' brother first shows up and Jay tries to get intel by posing as Jeebs - Jeebs and Kay are in the other room listening in and Jeebs is fairly concerned about how this meeting will go. Kay assures Jeebs that Jay knows him well enough to have all his mannerisms down pat, but Jeebs makes one last observation that raises the stakes:

"Some things you can't act Kay..."
"What are you getting at?"
"Jay's head don't grow back!"

Jeebs' brother's favourite way of greeting him is to blow his head off because he finds it funny and their family have the whole "Regenerate from any injury" power - but only their family. Jeebs was generally quite smartly used, like one time they walk into his shop to find an enormous mess on the ceiling that turns out to be Jeebs - a bad customer, and villain of the week, shook Jeebs down pretty badly and Jeebs deliberately was waiting until the coast was clear before regenerating himself.

That was definitely one of the things I liked about MIB The Series, that it actually had a decent amount of action and violence in it(which in retrospect is definitely a hallmark of Adelaide Productions, being able to push the envelope)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, Big Guy and Rusty would have been at home on AS. Some of the monster stuff and deaths were...gooey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/990452128530526208?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He looks kinda like Phineas.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Which episode is this? I’m kind of lukewarm on Clarence but I friggin loved me some Home Movies back in the day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Which episode is this? I’m kind of lukewarm on Clarence but I friggin loved me some Home Movies back in the day.

The last 10 episodes haven't aired in the US yet, so I'm not sure.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I am now ready to watch and edit an extremely normal box set of Dinosaucers

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am now ready to watch and edit an extremely normal box set of Dinosaucers

I might be a little jealous of you.. wanna listen to that awesome theme song forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

I wonder if Greg and Tara's Twitter outbursts are going to be addressed in any way. It doesn't seem to have made any news, which is a shame.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are out at Best Buy today. It’s easily the best the series has ever looked.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do they have the pilot without commentary?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I wonder if Greg and Tara's Twitter outbursts are going to be addressed in any way. It doesn't seem to have made any news, which is a shame.

imo they should have used Slade's original VA but just keep the comical tone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do they have the pilot without commentary?

The pilot has the commentary. It’s also not uprezzed (that doesn’t really surprise me though).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

I am 100% on board with this movie. That Deadpool joke was amazing.

Also I liked the music in the trailer. It set a really good tone for the movie. This is the only DC movie I can say I've been very excited to see.

Now give me the Gumball movie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It always surprises me when TTG actually uses the names of other properties in the show. Most comics (and the shows around them) tiptoe around mentioning the competition, or even most licensed characters by name. Like when they did a direct DuckTales reference and didn't try to hide it or when Cyborg said he wanted to be Optimus Prime in the Night Begins To Shine episode. I think the only time they've done the old fake brand deal is with Raven's knockoff MLPs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given the Pretty Pretty Pegasus show has played a larger part in the series than one-off references that easily fall under fair use, I imagine how directly you reference competing products tends to depend on what those products are and how much you reference them. Which can result in franchises having both a stand-in for a product and the original product appear in the same media depending on how they're being used.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, Pretty Pretty Pegasus was from very early in the show, before they went "gently caress it" and did whatever they wanted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty weird given the original Titans cartoon could barely even allude to the existence of other DC stuff despite the main character being at least nominally Batman's sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that was mostly because the DCAU was still running with Justice League and they didn't want people to think Titans was part of it.