Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrSargent posted:

Is there a resource somewhere that would be helpful for cluing me in on some of the stuff I should be keeping an eye out for sampling? I don't mind getting stuff that has already been sampled in popular tracks, in fact I really like collecting those pieces of hip-hop history. I feel like I have touched on a lot of the well-known ones but I know I there is a ton I don't know. I watch a lot of Crate Diggers episodes and pick up on things from those and visit whosampled to look up my favorite tracks. If there are other resources for this kinda thing, please let me know!

WhoSampled.com is a useful site, you’ll enjoy clicking around there. There was a mini documentary about People Under The Stairs, I think it was on a bonus disc on one of their albums, you’d probably like too. Showed them digging for vinyl, then chopping it up on their MPC. Struggling to find it because I don’t remember what it was called :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

I don't mind getting stuff that has already been sampled in popular tracks, in fact I really like collecting those pieces of hip-hop history. I feel like I have touched on a lot of the well-known ones but I know I there is a ton I don't know.

I know a bunch of people (me kind of included, back in highschool) who were/are basically trainspotters for samples and _owning_ the sampled records was the point. Eventually you get over the sampling bit because you've just become a soul/funk/jazz collector. The lovely part is you end up with a bunch of records that outside of the sample, it's actually pretty lovely. Some are amazing on their own (ex, Synthetic Substitution) or are just ehhhh after the head nod bit (Impeach the President is actually pretty boring). I probably still have ~300+ soul/funk 45s but I don't have many 1-tracker LPs anymore.

Plus WHO sampled it make weird rareified records that have comparative songs that are (arguably) better for cheaper. The Charmels - As Long As... is actually eh after the RZA bit but Karen Smalls - To Get You... hits the same spot for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBcOgTDtb1c

Same w/ Wendy Rene and The Diamondettes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6l3g42QAxE

But those are "genre" 45s because they never got flipped by Pete Rock. Once you get out of "golden age" samples and into shadow/alchemist/jake one/rocc/etc it veers off pretyt heavily, though. There are a bunch of immediately recognizable breaks that are gettable for cheap, though, it's not they're all unobtainium or something. Off the top of my head:

JB - The Grunt
JB - Funky Drummer
Syl Johnson - Different Strokes
Winstons - Amen Brother
Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle
Lyn Collins - Think
The Emotions - Blind Alley

Long story short, buy soul 45s. Also, Seconhand Sureshots is a decent short about sampling and it's got Ras G in it:

https://vimeo.com/24183764

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

MrSargent posted:

If there are other resources for this kinda thing, please let me know!

if you've never seen it you might like this series of videos where they blindfold producers and they have to make a beat from what they pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8r9RfK1wk

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Get a job at this gas station and do both.

https://youtu.be/b6ew11g0znU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

wa27 posted:

I would like to sell off some of my more valuable records that I don't care much about, but selling records online scares me. Just the whole grading and shipping process seems like a pain, and then having to deal with someone receiving a record and saying it skips when they play it.

i'm pretty sure discogs lets you set a threshold on buyers, so you can set it to only allow buyers with 90%+ or 100% positive feedback which is nice. whenever i sell on discogs i just put an imgur album link in the description with detailed photos

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MrSargent posted:

Appreciate the feedback. I think for now I'm just going to keep collecting the way I have been, by digging through collections on the floors of antique/thrift stores. Is there a resource somewhere that would be helpful for cluing me in on some of the stuff I should be keeping an eye out for sampling? I don't mind getting stuff that has already been sampled in popular tracks, in fact I really like collecting those pieces of hip-hop history. I feel like I have touched on a lot of the well-known ones but I know I there is a ton I don't know. I watch a lot of Crate Diggers episodes and pick up on things from those and visit whosampled to look up my favorite tracks. If there are other resources for this kinda thing, please let me know!

I don't really know much about where you can get ideas for samples, but if you're getting into collecting then Discogs is essential.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Had to go check my Zep. II is just a regular copy but here's my hot stamper HoH. Do I need to NWS this?

:nws:https://imgur.com/p1qWfFc:nws:

It's totally signed too! Signed by someone...

And JehovahsWetness put it pretty well. A lot of those samples could just be one song on an album or even worse just a snippet of a song... I know its probably not "cool" but there are a ton of good Breaks records out there that stand alone as just really good compilation albums. I bought the Blue Break Beats albums https://www.discogs.com/Various-Blue-Break-Beats/release/44125 when amazon was clearing them out. I dig em. Or just buy funk and soul records, they usually have the killer breaks built right in.

I think it was a few pages back but to add the the pretty wax discussion The Books, Lemon Of Pink album that VMP put out is really striking. The label and the colored vinyl are just done perfectly in my opinion. I prefer just plain black records but this one is nice to look at.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

edit, here's some records for content

Robbie Basho is kind of a wild ride, that dude was out there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

JehovahsWetness posted:

araca azul is such a mess, I wish I managed to like it more

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

JehovahsWetness posted:

The Abyssinians kick rear end.

Also fun update on the FLORAL SHOPPE fiasco. The Bandcamp page for it is now gone and I said gently caress it and filed a dispute with Paypal. James Ferraro managed to ship me a cassette I bought and OESB can't even manage this :sad:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

JehovahsWetness posted:

I know a bunch of people (me kind of included, back in highschool) who were/are basically trainspotters for samples and _owning_ the sampled records was the point. Eventually you get over the sampling bit because you've just become a soul/funk/jazz collector. The lovely part is you end up with a bunch of records that outside of the sample, it's actually pretty lovely. Some are amazing on their own (ex, Synthetic Substitution) or are just ehhhh after the head nod bit (Impeach the President is actually pretty boring). I probably still have ~300+ soul/funk 45s but I don't have many 1-tracker LPs anymore.

Plus WHO sampled it make weird rareified records that have comparative songs that are (arguably) better for cheaper. The Charmels - As Long As... is actually eh after the RZA bit but Karen Smalls - To Get You... hits the same spot for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBcOgTDtb1c

Same w/ Wendy Rene and The Diamondettes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6l3g42QAxE

But those are "genre" 45s because they never got flipped by Pete Rock. Once you get out of "golden age" samples and into shadow/alchemist/jake one/rocc/etc it veers off pretyt heavily, though. There are a bunch of immediately recognizable breaks that are gettable for cheap, though, it's not they're all unobtainium or something. Off the top of my head:

JB - The Grunt
JB - Funky Drummer
Syl Johnson - Different Strokes
Winstons - Amen Brother
Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle
Lyn Collins - Think
The Emotions - Blind Alley

Long story short, buy soul 45s. Also, Seconhand Sureshots is a decent short about sampling and it's got Ras G in it:

https://vimeo.com/24183764

Thank you so much for this response, it really helped quite a bit. And its funny you mention Soul 45s because I just got into contact with a dealer who is trying to unload thousands of 60s-70s 45s, a large portion of which is soul / funk. He is selling them for 25 cents/each but will give me an even bigger discount if I buy in bulk. This sounds like it will be perfect for adding some gems to my collection. I am meeting up with him tomorrow morning and will report back tomorrow!

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Mike_V posted:

The Abyssinians kick rear end.

Also fun update on the FLORAL SHOPPE fiasco. The Bandcamp page for it is now gone and I said gently caress it and filed a dispute with Paypal. James Ferraro managed to ship me a cassette I bought and OESB can't even manage this :sad:

mike what if james ferraro is listening to your floral shoppe right now

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

mike what if james ferraro is listening to your floral shoppe right now

i would love that and all would be forgiven.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even though I paid with PayPal (I have the ID for the transaction) it's not appearing in my shopping history, so I can't even file for a refund from them. Yay.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mike_V posted:

He sold some more copies on a lovely Angelfire page last week too. I already got my Bandcamp refund but I took another gamble and am gonna give him a month to ship it before I file another claim.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 29, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3V95uZMv70

Long-time forums members will recognize this. PayPal being PayPal.

Considering that orders were still going out as of early March... have faith, I guess. Sorry for your troubles :(

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Got a copy of the new Beach House album 2 weeks early. My local record store had a listening party last night for the new album, and raffled off a copy which I won.

It's a great album. Much more cohesive than Depression Cherry/Thank Your Lucky Stars.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Loving the Dilla and Kaytranada albums, I’m gonna hit up my local record store to see if they have those, fingers crossed!

Did you manage to grab them? I finally listened to Ruff Draft tonight and was shocked at how different the mixes sound compared to the old Stones Throw release. It now truly does have that “straight from the motherfucking cassette” feel to it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

Did you manage to grab them? I finally listened to Ruff Draft tonight and was shocked at how different the mixes sound compared to the old Stones Throw release. It now truly does have that “straight from the motherfucking cassette” feel to it.

Couldn’t find the Kaytranada but I got Ruff Draft and was loving stoked. Listened to it the other night and was really digging it. Also got Welcome 2 Detroit in the mail and that was is incredible as well. My Dilla collection is growing, haha.

pwn
May 27, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Got a copy of the new Beach House album 2 weeks early. My local record store had a listening party last night for the new album, and raffled off a copy which I won.

It's a great album. Much more cohesive than Depression Cherry/Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Your setup is beautiful and I’m going to copy it. Where did you get the cube shelf?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It’s just a white kallax from ikea.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Bull City Records?

pwn
May 27, 2004

It’s just a white kallax from ikea.
Thank you, kindly rat

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have a black Kallax and it’s working out great so far. 9 cubes and it was $85.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

Considering that orders were still going out as of early March... have faith, I guess. Sorry for your troubles :(

I think it started off legit, they then ran into problems, and now they’re just gonna try walk away from it. They’ve dealt with every issue in the worst way possible, continually trying to keep selling new copies (and shipping some to those people despite other people waiting months). Hopefully lessons are learnt and nobody ever gives the rights for highly sought after records to people with no proven track record ever again.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Asnorban posted:

Bull City Records?

Nope. 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Nope. 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland.

What’s up neighbor! I’m just outside Sacramento.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3V95uZMv70

Long-time forums members will recognize this. PayPal being PayPal.

We all got like 4 of these emails over the course of 5 months. Taking down the Bandcamp page pretty much says we're not getting it and I'm not gonna order from OESB again.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have returned from one of the coolest record-buying experiences of my life. I went to this guy's house who was selling a ton of 60s-80s 45's. When I got there, he started bringing out box after box of records for us to dig through and even put together a box of LP's that he thought I would like. The whole collection was filled with gems from tons of Motown stuff, James Brown, Sly Stone, Stevie Wonder, and so much more. All in all there were about 800 45's and 20Lps. He chatted with us about music and how he loves collecting, we shared stories about producing and he told my buddy and I to keep in touch to talk about music and share what we end up making out of the records. I walked away with the entire collection for $100. I am just starting to go through it at home now but there is some amazing stuff in here.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Has anyone here gotten vinyl produced? I'm thinking about a small run for my band's album and kind of wondering where to go. The going rate seems to be a run of 500-1000 at $1-3 per item and that's fine but I'm not sure which company to use. Ideally it'd be someone in the LA area or at least southern California so I could pick up the run myself.

Any recommendations?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MrSargent posted:

I have returned from one of the coolest record-buying experiences of my life. I went to this guy's house who was selling a ton of 60s-80s 45's. When I got there, he started bringing out box after box of records for us to dig through and even put together a box of LP's that he thought I would like. The whole collection was filled with gems from tons of Motown stuff, James Brown, Sly Stone, Stevie Wonder, and so much more. All in all there were about 800 45's and 20Lps. He chatted with us about music and how he loves collecting, we shared stories about producing and he told my buddy and I to keep in touch to talk about music and share what we end up making out of the records. I walked away with the entire collection for $100. I am just starting to go through it at home now but there is some amazing stuff in here.

I suppose you could have done much worse. If you still want to sell that stuff you could make money here, but it's probably going to be a slow drip unless you have some more valuable stuff.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

Nice pull, hopefully there's some good stuff in there, only labels I can recognize are arista and a later gordy? The big thing to remember about 70s and earlier 45s is the good stuff is *the poo poo you don't recognize*. The production of 45s seriously outstripped LPs for a long time and the barrier to entry was so low that a TON of regional / private / sub-labels existed that really focused on 45s. (Soul, funk, garage exist as mostly as 45s, it was cheap and you really only need two good songs, or one song and a cover if you were a garage band.) Getting deep into 45s is super rewarding because it's easier to make finds "in the wild" and most of the general public kind of ignore them. Record genre collecting ends up in the margins of the sound, and if you're interested in soul and funk then 45s are where you're going to end up. Mid-to-late 70s had a big drop-off for 45 production since major labels only continued to press them for singles as they became more album-focused and independent/regional record labels in the US just kind of withered off.

If you want an account on https://gripsweat.com to look up stuff you don't know for value or just listen to soundclips from poo poo like "rare (soul|funk)" searches then send me a PM and make a free account for you.

edit:
Also, since the barrier to releasing a 45 was so low, there's probably a chance some cool poo poo come out of your home-town/area and can be interesting to dig into. I'm from bum-gently caress East TN and a couple of my all-time favorite deep soul tunes were from my home town. (Both of which got bootlegged on west-coast latino lowrider oldies comps, weirdly enough.)

Kenny Springs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQbqwAGIcw
Phil Kelley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQthIIjVPI

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2018

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
had a unique record experience- was walking my dogs around the ravine and came across some records close to where some homeless guys were camping. mostly mid ought rap, there was a Prince Black Sweat single and I gave it to some guy who I'd never met who asked it he could have it because he had a cute dog :doh:

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Has anyone here gotten vinyl produced? I'm thinking about a small run for my band's album and kind of wondering where to go. The going rate seems to be a run of 500-1000 at $1-3 per item and that's fine but I'm not sure which company to use. Ideally it'd be someone in the LA area or at least southern California so I could pick up the run myself.

Any recommendations?

I've done it multiple times and in so many different configurations to try and stay on a tight budget. What's the saying... speed, quality, cost: pick two? Anyway, the most recent project was a 12" that I personally oversaw each step (lacquer cutting, plating, pressing, jacket/label design) and I think came in pretty low budget but with spectacular results. The kicker is that it took nearly 18 months. Or you could go with a place like Pirates Press where you put down $2500 and six months later 500 neatly shrinkwrapped records show up at your door. The thing is, the places that do everything in house tend to do the best jobs. I wouldn't prioritize location of the plant (I've done that as well and the fact that I could pick up the records myself made it no easier when they pressed all 500 in *not* the color I had ordered and paid extra for).

Without taking up too much more air in this thread, I'd say go with a full-service place like Pirates, especially for your first record. I've worked the numbers so many times, you really can't do a run without spending at least $1700-1800, and it's worth the extra few hundred dollars to tie in all the printing and whatnot.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

1000 umbrellas posted:

I've done it multiple times and in so many different configurations to try and stay on a tight budget. What's the saying... speed, quality, cost: pick two? Anyway, the most recent project was a 12" that I personally oversaw each step (lacquer cutting, plating, pressing, jacket/label design) and I think came in pretty low budget but with spectacular results. The kicker is that it took nearly 18 months. Or you could go with a place like Pirates Press where you put down $2500 and six months later 500 neatly shrinkwrapped records show up at your door. The thing is, the places that do everything in house tend to do the best jobs. I wouldn't prioritize location of the plant (I've done that as well and the fact that I could pick up the records myself made it no easier when they pressed all 500 in *not* the color I had ordered and paid extra for).

Without taking up too much more air in this thread, I'd say go with a full-service place like Pirates, especially for your first record. I've worked the numbers so many times, you really can't do a run without spending at least $1700-1800, and it's worth the extra few hundred dollars to tie in all the printing and whatnot.

This is my experience as well. You're basically gonna lose money in man hours and effort spent trying to get different aspects done in different locations. Just spend more and get it all done in one fell swoop.

Just make sure to get it mastered if you don't want it to sound hella underwhelming. And yes, that's gonna cost you a pretty penny.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JehovahsWetness posted:

Nice pull, hopefully there's some good stuff in there, only labels I can recognize are arista and a later gordy? The big thing to remember about 70s and earlier 45s is the good stuff is *the poo poo you don't recognize*. The production of 45s seriously outstripped LPs for a long time and the barrier to entry was so low that a TON of regional / private / sub-labels existed that really focused on 45s. (Soul, funk, garage exist as mostly as 45s, it was cheap and you really only need two good songs, or one song and a cover if you were a garage band.) Getting deep into 45s is super rewarding because it's easier to make finds "in the wild" and most of the general public kind of ignore them. Record genre collecting ends up in the margins of the sound, and if you're interested in soul and funk then 45s are where you're going to end up. Mid-to-late 70s had a big drop-off for 45 production since major labels only continued to press them for singles as they became more album-focused and independent/regional record labels in the US just kind of withered off.

If you want an account on https://gripsweat.com to look up stuff you don't know for value or just listen to soundclips from poo poo like "rare (soul|funk)" searches then send me a PM and make a free account for you.

edit:
Also, since the barrier to releasing a 45 was so low, there's probably a chance some cool poo poo come out of your home-town/area and can be interesting to dig into. I'm from bum-gently caress East TN and a couple of my all-time favorite deep soul tunes were from my home town. (Both of which got bootlegged on west-coast latino lowrider oldies comps, weirdly enough.)

Kenny Springs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQbqwAGIcw
Phil Kelley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQthIIjVPI

That would be awesome for you to set up an account on gripsweat for me, sending you a PM. I went through all of the records and there is a ton of poo poo I don't even recognize, which I suppose is a good thing. Some of them are a little beat up, but most of the ones I listened to played well and with a little cleaning, I am sure they would be much better. I tried looking back a few pages because I know people have asked before, but what cleaning system should I purchase for these records? I don't mind spending a little bit more for something that is more automated, considering I need to clean about 800 45's, I would rather not do them manually.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Quick update. I grabbed some 45's out of a stack I didn't recognize and started looking them up. Was pretty stoked to find about 5-6 Northern Soul 45's in the first 10 or so that I went through. Those seem to sell for some decent money.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Folks, here is a download code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/press-releases/shure-statement-regarding-the-discontinuation-of-phono-products

Shure is discontinuing their phono products.