Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Raiding Bombardment is funny but more of an RP thing. Barbaric Despoiler civic gets it for free, and what it does is when you bombard with Raiding stance you do a little damage to their infrastructure but sometimes teleport their pops to one of your worlds.

Also a noticeable upside to having a death star is, for some reason, it lets you use Total War on everyone. I don't really understand why but it's there and Total War is the best kind of war to go to in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Black Pants posted:

Raiding Bombardment is funny but more of an RP thing. Barbaric Despoiler civic gets it for free, and what it does is when you bombard with Raiding stance you do a little damage to their infrastructure but sometimes teleport their pops to one of your worlds.

Also a noticeable upside to having a death star is, for some reason, it lets you use Total War on everyone. I don't really understand why but it's there and Total War is the best kind of war to go to in my opinion.

The reason is you've got a goddamn Death Star. gently caress diplomacy, we're taking whatever we want and blowing up the rest.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Staltran posted:

What I hate about tiles is that you can't just build up to date buildings. You instead have to build obsolete ones and upgrade them gradually. Colonizing planets late game would feel much less like a chore if you could just build Mining Network IVs etc from scratch.
Also because you can only have one building in production at a time.

Each upgrade of the planetary capital should give you one additional parallel construction.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sectors are actually really good for this. Build the basic buildings you want on all the tiles, throw them into a sector that you don't allow redev on. They'll upgrade the buildings as they can, and you can just not worry about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I heard wiz is replacing tiles with linoleum is that not true?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If they're seriously thinking about removing tiles I'm going to just shamelessly plug my proposal for a tile overhaul that I posted a few months ago. Though I hope they go for something better and even more comprehensive.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

So the main thing to remember is that most of them are situational, or if you're aiming to get a certain style of gameplay. I'll note a few of these that are only good if you're using Apocalypse DLC, and that is because there is a late game way to spend Unity (Unity Ambitions) that are really strong but require that DLC.

[------------------------------------------]

The Big Paths: Choosing one of these is almost always a good spend for 2 of your perks (Utopia DLC required). You're getting not only improvements to populations, but leader bonuses. Psionics have better leaders, Synthetics have better pops. Bios can have super specialized pops but is more finnicky, new leader bonuses give them a big research edge. Also no one cares if you gene mod, while synths/psions can have some negative diplomatic impacts.

[--------Psionic---------]

(Mind over Matter, Transcendence)
Ruler: +.5 influence; Governor: +10% unity, -15% unrest; Scientist: +10% research speed, +25% survey speed; Admiral: +10% dmg, +15% evasion; General: +15% army morale/morale dmg.

Also gets access to the shroud, which have a variety of buffs (and sometimes negatives) ranging from bonus production to a special unit to upgrading a leader to "Chosen One" (double bonuses). Population bonuses is +5% to energy/research per perk, and +5% happiness with the second.

[--------Synthetic---------]

(The Flesh is Weak, Synthetic Evolution)
Ruler: +5% resource production (2nd perk); Governor: +5% minerals, +5% energy (2nd); Scientists: +5% research speed, -10% anomaly fail (2nd); Admirals: +5% fire rate, +10% range (2nd); Generals: +5% army dmg/perk.

Population bonus for first perk is +10% army dmg, +20% habitability, +40 leader lifespan. After the second perk all your pops become synths, which means full habitability, +20% production for everything, and robomodding instead of gene modding (perk also gives you 1 extra point and -10% upkeep costs). Since you can build pops from templates it is a lot easier to specialize to tiles for max bonuses.

[--------Biologic---------]

(Engineered Evolution, Evolutionary Mastery)
You need to mod in Erudite to get these leader bonuses (+20% research, +1 leader level cap). Ruler: +5% research speed; Governor: +5% science output; Scientist: +5% research speed; Admiral: +5% fire rate, +10% disengagement chance; General: +5% dmg, +10% disengagement chance.

Gene modding pops can be a bit frustrating as you juggle them around, but look at uplifting species when you can for some unique traits (10% energy, 10% research, 10% mineral/food, etc). It combines really well with slavery, and is the only path choice for hive minds. Also you get a gently caress-ton of mod points so you'll be able to shave off all negative traits and still have like 12 trait points (See here for bio only traits).

Consecrated Worlds: Spiritualist only, planetary edict: 300 influence for +5% happiness, +15% growth speed, +15% unity, 100 year base duration. A solid bonus but a big up-front influence cost. I'd probably only take this with Apocalypse DLC.

One Vision: +10% unity, +50% governing ethics attractions. Only take with Apoc DLC for unity ambitions, it isn't terribly hard to finish out unity trees, and there is often at least 1 tree that isn't really giving you much for your play style.

Executive Vigor: +50% edict duration. Deceptively strong, the base edicts available are all really good, and taking this basically makes you able to run all the ones you want all the time. If you're not sure what to take this is always a good buy.

Interstellar Dominion: -20% claim cost, -20% starbase influence cost. Lets you blob/war faster, a decent pick. You're often influence limited on how fast you can expand, so this is a direct buff to that style. If you're not being aggressive and are done with initial space grab, not too useful.

Shared Destiny: -75% subject integration influence cost. If you're going to vassalize+integrate as your expansion method this is really good, otherwise useless.

Technological Ascendancy: +10% research speed. Utterly boring, but one of the strongest picks. My favorite start is to do discovery tree first into TA for a cool +20% research bonus.

Transcendent Learning: +2 leader level cap, +2 leader capacity. Actually decent, but boring and only a later pick (need +lifespan for them to live to those later levels, consider modding your pops for +leader experience gain). For reference these are per level bonuses from leaders. Rulers: -5% unrest, +5% edict duration, +3% monthy unity. Governors: +2% pop resource production, +5% building speed, -5% clear blocker speed. Scientist: +2% research speed, +1% research output with assist research. Admiral: +3% fire rate. General: +5% army health/dmg, -5% upkeep.

Enigmatic Engineering: Apoc DLC, +2 sensor range, tech can't be reverse engineered. More of a multiplayer pick, still not bad if you get any of the unique techs and want to ensure no one can nab it from you. Sensor range is also really useful for being able to react in time to enemy fleet movements.

Imperial Prerogative: +5 core systems. Maybe the only never take, it was added for people who hate sectors. However with all the changes to sectors you can micro-manage them all you desire now, making this basically a waste (you can turn off sector redevelopment, and remove a planet from a sector for no cost, tweak it, and re-add it, and can pull resources out of a sector for a marginal cost).

Mastery of Nature: -33% blocker cost, planetary edict: 100 influence, 500 energy, bonus tiles: size <=12 (+3), size 13-15 (+2) size 16-24 (+1). A good early-mid game pick if you're done with initial space grab and unable to expand through wars. If you've gotten a lot of small planets this'll have a bigger impact. Later on habitats are most likely a better influence spend, but also have a mineral cost (with new influence costs on habitats this gap is much closer).

Voidborne: Unlocks Habitats. Strong, lets you turn empty space into 12-tile planets. Focus them as science and leave the minerals/energy to your planets, see big rewards. With the 2.0.2 changes they're more balanced than before. You can get them to size 15 with Master Builders, but the influence cost got doubled (200 influence, 10,000 minerals). Ringworlds are a better use of influence, but are way later. If you're limited on expansion options this opens a ton of space, and lets you unlock Master Builders which gives you the Mega-Engineering research option (required for Galactic Wonders).

Master Builders: +50% megastructure build speed, +3 habitat size, mega-engineering research option. Required if you're doing megastructures, the time cost is one of the biggest aspects of megastructures.

Galactic Wonders: Unlocks megastructures. All are really good, but quite expensive in both time and minerals. Often if you're able to afford the costs you should be able to be stomping the galaxy, but they give a good edge if that isn't the case.

Eternal Vigilance: +5 defense platforms, +25% defense platform dmg, +25% starbase dmg. Very situational, but if you've got lynchpin systems that you really need a boost to it could be useful. If you can get that edge elsewhere instead do it.

Galactic Force Projection: +20 fleet command limit, +80 naval capacity. If your economy can handle the increased ship upkeep this is really strong, giving you another fleet to watch your back while attacking someone, or just being able to have a crushing ship advantage to roll over someone.

Defender of the Galaxy: +50% dmg to endgame crisis, +20 opinion. Gives a huge edge that you'll often need, and the opinion modifier makes it a ton easier to get other empires to do what you want. While normally I'd wait until the crisis to actually take it, if you're doing federation building the opinion modifier could be what pushes you over the edge.

Galactic Contender: +33% dmg to fallen/awakened empires. If you're planning on ganking a FE or the War in Heaven happens, this could be what gives you the edge to not get stomped.

World Shaper: -25% terraforming costs, Gaia world terraforming. Really good, Gaia worlds give +10% resource output and +5% happiness and are 100% habitability for everyone. If you're spiritualist you can designate an uncolonized Gaia world for +10% unity. Cost is 10k energy and 20 years base, but then the perk itself (-25% cost) and terraforming gasses (-25% cost) or liquids (-25% time) or ruler trait world shaper (-15% cost, -25% time) can cut it down to 3.5k and 10 years.

Machine Worlds: Synthetic Dawn DLC, basically Gaia worlds for robots. Big bonuses (+20% all), worth it if you're machine empire.

Synthetic Age: Synthetic Dawn DLC, +2 machine mod points, -33% modify species cost. Worth it if you're a machine empire, you need to specialize your dudes as much as you can.

Colossus Project: Apocolypse DLC, unlocks Colossus ship. If you want to play with them you'll need it. There are some downsides to having a death star diplomatically, but on the other hand you have a death star.

Nihilistic Acquisition: Apoc DLC required, unlocks Raiding Bombardment Stance. I have no experience with this one, sorry!

Nice, but you forgot Grasp the Void: +5 starbases. I just love building giant space stations for the hell of it, so this is always one of my earlier picks.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Oh yea, its not up on the wiki (or I may have missed it). It is another situational Perk, and depends a bit on your galaxy layout. If you've got too many fronts to really secure it can give you that extra amount to lock up your flanks with a small reaction fleet + bases while you're pushing a war with your main fleet. Or to build up a defense in depth against an end game crisis, though late game an extra 5 probably won't make a huge difference.

edit: A non-obvious thing to take into account is that different biome types have different weights for resources that show up. While homeworlds are guaranteed to have certain layouts at a minimum, the near planets will be heavily impacted by this. If you want to dig around the code for the weights you'll find them in /common/deposits/00_deposits.txt

Dry: +50% energy deposits, +25% mixed energy/mineral, +50% physics +1/+2.
Wet: +50% food deposits, +25% mixed food/mineral, +50% society +1/+2.
Cold: +50% mineral deposits, +50% engineering +1/+2.

Gaia: +50% everything, -33% nothing tiles, +250% betharian stones/alien pets.

So Cold is always great, dry is good if you're robot heavy to get bonus energy, and wet is really good if you've got the adaptability tree (they get mineral income off of food tiles).

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Black Pants posted:

It's kinda useful for slavers/purgers, since even if I don't take the planet, capturing a couple pops for food/energy/minerals can be very useful. One upside, though, is that it has a 0% chance to create a tile blocker, compared to 20% for selective/indiscriminate. Very useful for taking on FEs and planets you want to actually get some use out of rather than wait while it rebuilds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I heard wiz is replacing tiles with linoleum is that not true?

If you take World Shaper they get replaced with hardwood and throw rugs :3:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

McSpanky posted:

Stellaris needs a throne-room screen like Civ 2.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Conskill posted:

Stellaris needs a throne-room screen like Civ 2.

That would be awesome

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

We need more throne room drama. If this game took a few nods from CK2 and had the various scientists and governers be actual characters I would probably play this for 1000 more hours instead of 100

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Unhappy factions attempting coups instead of just sitting there miserably doing nothing. Being able to expend influence to help factions in other nations. Espionage!! These are the things I want

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

We need more throne room drama. If this game took a few nods from CK2 and had the various scientists and governers be actual characters I would probably play this for 1000 more hours instead of 100

I'm starting to think Admiral Gex might fancy me.

A. It's not appropriate
B. Give him a good tumble!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I enjoy finding stuff that I've yet to encounter. My current game I got a second living metal anomaly, it gave me +25% progress on it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Re: ascension perks: I feel like you can stop at cyborg and not go full synth and get a lot of the good stuff, and quickly.

I think cyborg plus mega engineering (gateways!) is the go to for me now, although I do also tend to pick up defender of the galaxy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I'm starting to think Admiral Gex might fancy me.

A. It's not appropriate
B. Give him a good tumble!

This, but autonomous drone 69

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ulmont posted:

Re: ascension perks: I feel like you can stop at cyborg and not go full synth and get a lot of the good stuff, and quickly.

I think cyborg plus mega engineering (gateways!) is the go to for me now, although I do also tend to pick up defender of the galaxy.

Stopping at cyborg is a pretty big mistake these days IMO. There used to be more benefits from cyborgs and the way the bonuses changed dropped some stuff like fire rate on admirals. They changed it a while ago so that synth leaders are just a straight upgrade, and that was the major reason people used to stick with cyborgs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Stopping at cyborg is a pretty big mistake these days IMO. There used to be more benefits from cyborgs and the way the bonuses changed dropped some stuff like fire rate on admirals. They changed it a while ago so that synth leaders are just a straight upgrade, and that was the major reason people used to stick with cyborgs.

That's a shame, I like the flavor of cyborgs more. My last big game I played as a decadent space empire of depressed cyborgs eternally living in backstabbing misery. It just wouldn't have been the same with synths

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

McSpanky posted:

With the constant nerfs to some of the perks it's more like a cheap parquet now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The perks for leaders need some revamping too. Like who the gently caress would ever want the survey speed/REDUCED SCIENCE SHIP BUILD COST(!!!!!!) perk on any of their leaders over, like, 10% energy/minerals, +1 influence, etc. If you could use empty science vessels for assists research and they were an appreciable amount to make in the first place that might be one thing, but like, survey speed is such a nonentity that it's an utterly worthless perk. The cheaper mining station one is basically irrelevant too, despite the number of mining stations you wind up making over the course of a game, stuff like +10% minerals covers that benefit and then some after the first colony.

Does anyone NOT build mining/research stations if they're able? Is there any benefit to not do so? I just immediately build up any system I control as soon as I notice there's floating resources in it still. There's no reason not to, the energy upkeep for them is a nonentity most of the time.

Assist research could really use some buffing too, the cost of an entire leader slot for, like, +20-30 research points in most cases is kinda ridiculously bad.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Man I just had the most trouble taking this guy's planet in an early war. I check out my new slave pops and it turns out he has v.strong (+40% army dmg) AND resilient (+50% defense army dmg).

edit: not building as soon as possible is generally only in the early game, when you need to balance mineral spend or energy income. Late game sometimes you could take minimal hits breaking stations down if you're really hard up for the energy.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 29, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Epicurius posted:

A lot of them are situational, but some are more useful than others. Consecrated Worlds, for instance, which only shows up if you're spiritualist, gives you an edict that increases growth speed, happiness, and unity generation. This is fine, but spiritualists get a lot of bonuses to unity generation anyway, and have an edict, "create saint", that gives you a unity bonus but doesn't take an ascension perk. Galactic Force Projection gives you a bonus to fleet size and naval power, which again, can be handy, but there are a lot of techs and buildings that do that too.

The starbase perk also give you more naval capacity if you purpose them to anchorages and you can research to 200 cap so it is a literal trash perk if it is anything but your first choice. Even then...

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Galactic Force Projection probably needs a re-tune yea, but the big difference is that you spend no resources getting that naval cap, and if you aren't in way late game you're not going to be at 200 fleet size. 5 starbases with 2 anchorages and the naval building is 3500 minerals (along with 3 years build time) for 60 cap, along with 6 upkeep. After starholds you'll have a bigger fleet cap, but each one is another 3 years build and 950 minerals.

GFP shines when you spend that capital on a fleet and go take someone over instead of just building the capacity. Late game yea it isn't as big of a benefit, but if you used that early boost to get a larger base then it'd be worthwhile.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, going to give a shoutout to Executive Vigor as a genocidal civ. It makes the patrol drones/martial law edicts last longer than the purge timer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Black Pants posted:

Since posting what I did before I've found this mod so go ahead and have your Endless Space in Stellaris if you want I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1367553125

Oh now this looks yummy. Will definitely have to try this one out!

Demiurge4 posted:

If they're seriously thinking about removing tiles I'm going to just shamelessly plug my proposal for a tile overhaul that I posted a few months ago. Though I hope they go for something better and even more comprehensive.

Yeah you're the one I was trying to remember when the recent tiles-talk started up! It'd be a very good starting place at the least.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Galactic Force Projection probably needs a re-tune yea, but the big difference is that you spend no resources getting that naval cap, and if you aren't in way late game you're not going to be at 200 fleet size. 5 starbases with 2 anchorages and the naval building is 3500 minerals (along with 3 years build time) for 60 cap, along with 6 upkeep. After starholds you'll have a bigger fleet cap, but each one is another 3 years build and 950 minerals.

GFP shines when you spend that capital on a fleet and go take someone over instead of just building the capacity. Late game yea it isn't as big of a benefit, but if you used that early boost to get a larger base then it'd be worthwhile.

Yer gonna tank your income if you take it early and cap your fleet to it

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sloober posted:

Yer gonna tank your income if you take it early and cap your fleet to it

How would this not be the case if you took +5 starbases instead?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think if tiles were replaced with hexes and you could have 6 potential adjacency bonuses it would be more better than the current tiles since you only get ~4 sides with squares.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

How would this not be the case if you took +5 starbases instead?

Starbases can provide income to pay for themselves, ships can't.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Omnicarus posted:

I think if tiles were replaced with hexes and you could have 6 potential adjacency bonuses it would be more better than the current tiles since you only get ~4 sides with squares.

Remove them entirely and simulate the surface of every body so you can put anything anywhere

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Starbases can provide income to pay for themselves, ships can't.

If you're using the bonus starbases for income then they aren't providing fleet cap, so I'm unsure as to why this is your argument.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Invictus posted:

Assist research could really use some buffing too, the cost of an entire leader slot for, like, +20-30 research points in most cases is kinda ridiculously bad.

Out of curiosity, what are you using those slots for? I don't usually go with heavily militaristic empires and I find that once I can afford the energy it's a pretty sweet deal filling up the empty slots with assisting scientists who can also thus be leveled up slowly to replace the head scientists as they die out.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

If you're using the bonus starbases for income then they aren't providing fleet cap, so I'm unsure as to why this is your argument.

Taking the fleet cap perk means all you can do is build more fleets, which takes income. Taking grasp the void early means you can build either a mix of income and anchorages/bastions, or income when you need it and pivot to anchorages later in the game when resources aren't an issue. It's still not a great pick, but it's more flexible and situationally useful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Out of curiosity, what are you using those slots for? I don't usually go with heavily militaristic empires and I find that once I can afford the energy it's a pretty sweet deal filling up the empty slots with assisting scientists who can also thus be leveled up slowly to replace the head scientists as they die out.

I realise I wasn't asked.

Hmm. 3 Scientists for the 3 fields, 2 governors(1 Sector), 1 Admiral. That's 6 of 10 already. 2 more Scientists exploring. That's 8, possibly 9 depending on how much ground needs covering.

Then again, I run Democratic, so at any time one of those might end up as leader, so I'm eating more energy in replacements. And tech means more slots eventually. I guess it's because the exploration phase runs a long while. It's not often there's nowhere to go or nothing to do other than assist, though it certainly can occur.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GorfZaplen posted:

Yea , the lack of scheming minions is the thing that I miss most, threatening to upset carefully laid plans just because I gave their rival a system they wanted.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ZypherIM posted:

Also the fleet command hard cap is now 500 which is now quite a lot of instances of researching +10 at a time, so the +20 isn't nearly as bad. When Cherryh first dropped, hitting 200 command limit was what, two rounds of the repeatable research? GFP was real, real bad then.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Anyone else noticed that you can't build starbases from the galaxy map on systems with more than one star? It will tell you "starbases must be built around a star" as if it can't decide which to build around. You can select one or another star from the system map though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GunnerJ posted:

Anyone else noticed that you can't build starbases from the galaxy map on systems with more than one star? It will tell you "starbases must be built around a star" as if it can't decide which to build around. You can select one or another star from the system map though.

Those systems bug the hell out of me because I can't tell my fleets to flip the outposts from the galaxy map, I have to go in and manually order an attack or they'll go to the empty center of the system an miss the station half the time.