Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

devicenull posted:

Bluetooth controlled drill is a thing? WTF? Why would you want that?

So you can change the rpm based on what you're doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoeFjciam8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

The most useful thing I’ve heard someone doing with that was the guy who used it to turn the light on his drill to stay on as a nightlight for his kid when he lost power.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

coathat posted:

The most useful thing I’ve heard someone doing with that was the guy who used it to turn the light on his drill to stay on as a nightlight for his kid when he lost power.

sounds amazing to be able to manage a jobsite and give out tools with profiles set based on what they are to be used for to extend the life of the tool, digital maintenance records, or to be able to see where physically a tool is being used or was lost

its almost like the average homeowner... doesn't need milwaukee :thunk:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

So it can tweet that you just switched to a 13/64" HSS on speed 3, on your behalf. Otherwise you gotta do that yourself and that's basically all my shop time these days right there.

lol

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bobua posted:

I'm pretty much 100% makita but when I was 8 and my dad was building a shed he had one nice power tool and it was a makita corded drill and my grandpa mentioned something about how solid makita was and I think that was my power tool version of my first playboy type thing. My preferences will forever be based on November of 93's centerfold's breasts.
The only tape measures I use are the lovely, cheap silver Stanley ones because that's what my dad used when I was growing up. Like, I know there are better ones, but I can't bring myself to buy them.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Next time get one of those bright metallic orange ones because you’ll be able to find it in the detritus of your shop in a tenth the time

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

deep web creep posted:

Next time get one of those bright metallic orange ones because you’ll be able to find it in the detritus of your shop in a tenth the time
This. So very much this.

I own probably 8 tape measures and if I am lucky I can locate 2 of them at any given time while working on a project. And one of those is the metric tape that mostly stays in my toolbox.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just get about 20 of those Harbor Freight tape measures that they give away for free with a coupon. When you drop or lose it, you won't cry like you would with a $30 Dewalt.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

deep web creep posted:

This reminds me of the best addition I ever made to my shop...

I bought a giant 400 pack of mechanical pencils for $4.99. I never ever look for where I sat my pencil down now, I just gather up 187 of the pencils I've left laying around the shop every other day and put them back in the jar.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a set of blue Ryobi tools (drill, Sawzall, Skilsaw, and a silly flashlight), and they've never let me down for light-duty puttering around the shop. Well, the yellow NiCd batteries are poo poo. I bought one of the biggest lithium batteries last year and got the green death wheel for xmas, and boy howdy are the modern batteries good. The cordless angle grinder doesn't have as much torque as a corded one, it'll stop if you push it too hard, but CORDLESS ANGLE GRINDER.

I'M GOING TO CUT EVERYTHING I OWN IN HALF JUST BECAUSE I CAN.

But yeah I should get more of the big batteries, is there a coupon or recurring sale of something?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They just like, permanently knocked down the price of those to $80 and I imagine they’ll run the Christmas 2 for $100 sale again for Father’s Day

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Dammit I got mine just before the price drop, I guess. But yay father's day sale. Edit: also some poor clerk had to lead me around the entire store to find it, they were sold out on the tool aisle, but there was one over in lawn & garden, because the electric chainsaw and weed-whacker use it.

Edit:

Now that I think of it, it's long overdue for having the dead man switch/dorsal fin removed, as I did with the blue reciprocating saw a month or so after I got it. It's a drat angle grinder, it should be as unsafe as possible, right?
Taking it apart right now, it's got Torx screws but luckily Dad gave me a screwdriver set that has all the weird bits as a stocking stuffer for Xmas, so I'm going full AvE on this mofo.

Switchectomy (-otomy?) done. It's a mechanical thing, just a spring-loaded bit that physically blocks the trigger from being pushed in, just pop open the clamshell and pull it out and you're good to go.

Gaffer tape is what duct tape wants to be. Gaffer tape deserves a post of its own.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 29, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon, but gaffer tape is the photographer's better version. Doesn't conduct electricity (silver duck tape does, ask me how I know), and doesn't leave residue when you pull it off.

But it is an order of magnitude more expensive.

I paid $30 for that, and it's the cheap lovely off-brand.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

thats so stupid. you're going to cut yourself switching out one of those cutoffs or something equally dumb

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon, but gaffer tape is the photographer's better version. Doesn't conduct electricity (silver duck tape does, ask me how I know), and doesn't leave residue when you pull it off.

I've found a nice balance between gaffers tape and duct tape, and it's the gorilla 6035180 tape. Not the 6003001, gotta be the 6035180. It doesn't leave nearly as much residue as duct tape, and the residue it does leave takes a lot longer to "melt off" of the tape backing than standard duct tape, and it's easier to clean. Cheap duct tapes are melting in less than a week in the Phoenix heat, this tape has lasted a month so far without separating. It's still spendy ($10/roll, about 3x the cost of duct tapes) but 1/3rd the cost of gaffer tapes.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

bobua posted:

I bought a giant 400 pack of mechanical pencils for $4.99. I never ever look for where I sat my pencil down now, I just gather up 187 of the pencils I've left laying around the shop every other day and put them back in the jar.

This rules and I’m going to do exactly this on the way home from work Monday

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

deep web creep posted:

I do this with $2.99 voltmeters from harbor freight. $40 in voltmeters means I'm never looking long. :-)

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

bobua posted:

Where did you buy a pack of 400 for only $4.99?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If anyone in the UK has a b&q tradepoint account they're selling a 3 pack of Titan 10.8v drill, impact driver and oscillating multitool for £70/£84 with vat. It's a fantastic deal for light duty/convenient to carry tools, but without the trade point account they're £190 which is just criminal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nerobro posted:

I do this with $2.99 voltmeters from harbor freight. $40 in voltmeters means I'm never looking long. :-)

How do you not picked up enough of those as freebies?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Platystemon posted:

How do you not picked up enough of those as freebies?

I'm not there usually when they're free. I just look for them when i'min there for something vital. Like.. latex gloves.

Speaking of tools. If you do r/c cars? M3 thread forming taps are f'n magic. They halve the build time of most plastic based kits.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

The Gardenator posted:

Where did you buy a pack of 400 for only $4.99?

Sorry to get your hopes up but that was an exaggeration. I bought the largest cheapest pack I could find on amazon

deep web creep posted:

Welcome to your new, happier life.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've found a nice balance between gaffers tape and duct tape, and it's the gorilla 6035180 tape. Not the 6003001, gotta be the 6035180. It doesn't leave nearly as much residue as duct tape, and the residue it does leave takes a lot longer to "melt off" of the tape backing than standard duct tape, and it's easier to clean. Cheap duct tapes are melting in less than a week in the Phoenix heat, this tape has lasted a month so far without separating. It's still spendy ($10/roll, about 3x the cost of duct tapes) but 1/3rd the cost of gaffer tapes.

Y'all aren't looking hard enough. You can get Pro-Gaff for about $16/roll if you go to theatrical suppliers.
https://www.rosebrand.com/product891/Pro-Gaff-Gaffers-Tape-by-the-Roll.aspx
Or make friends with a local production company/theatre and buy rolls out of their cases. Or get a group of friends/artists/performers/techs together and go in on a case.

Because gaff tape is the poo poo. And a roll of spike tape is a great way to mark all your tools and gear as yours.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Got my first lime green tool today. Was caulking a shower enclosure and wanted a power caulk gun to lay a nice even bead. Fairly impressed with the tool, even if I am using my garage door opener as the battery charger. We will see how long it takes for the camel to get more than it's nose under the tent...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

stealie72 posted:

for the camel to get more than it's nose under the tent...

???

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Until he buys more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s the Arabic equivalent to “if you give ’em an inch they’ll take an ell”.

Stealie72 owns one Ryobi power tool now and will likely soon own many more.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ok, now someone explain how he's using a garage door opener as a battery charger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ryobi makes a garage door opener, that can use their 18v batteries as a backup power source. I suppose it could also act as a ceiling mounted charger.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

You guys are talking about garage door openers? I'm still stuck on power caulk gun lol

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ryobi makes a garage door opener, that can use their 18v batteries as a backup power source. I suppose it could also act as a ceiling mounted charger.

Interested to hear if it's any good. I like the attachments and the concept of it, wonder how they executed.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
hmm it turns out chainsaw blades get dull really fast if you hit some rocks by mistake like an rear end in a top hat

also my assumption that this wouldn't seem too much more insanely dangerous than a motorcycle was a little misguided, simply because I tend to operate my motorcycle on maintained roadways, not in unexplored terrain in the woods where I'm constantly having an entire leg slip down a badger hole or something.

overall this work has been a mix of tiring, frightening and super fun and I see a ~18" husqvarna in my future

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

So you can change the rpm based on what you're doing?

My $60 Black & Decker does this with an adjustment knob directly on the device. It's also got a flashlight directly on the device. Having to use my phone to adjust my drill seems... dubious.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 30, 2018

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Interested to hear if it's any good. I like the attachments and the concept of it, wonder how they executed.

It's quiet, can open several times on a tool battery as a backup, is WiFi connected so now the Russians can hack my garage door, and I can get my phone to alert me whenever it is open so I know if the kids got home, and has a surprisingly powerful fan attached to it that points at me while I'm at my workbench.

And the Pod that you put a battery in to act as a backup will also charge the battery, which allowed me to buy a stripped tool for 40 bucks.

It doesn't feel like it will last 22 years like the one I replaced with it did, but eh.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is missing something without a picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

sanchez posted:

:stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So what it really is, is a tool hub with an integrated garage door opener. Sure, why not.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It looks derpy as hell, and some of the attachments are of limited utility (like the tire inflator), but it's pretty cool.

One HUGE downside, though, is that it does not play nice with a lot of cars' built-in garage door buttons because of [some IT magic with encrypted codes for entry or something that I only half read and don't really get] so you will likely end up using the included remotes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sanchez posted:

The Ryobi green is pretty close to Homer's car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

hmm it turns out chainsaw blades get dull really fast
Shortened that up for you. My parents own some forest that gets slelectively logged every 5-10 years, which means some fairly regular maintenance of said forest. Lots of going out there and culling stuff that is competing with or in danger of damaging the hardwoods, including lots of getting rid of the second trunk that silver maples like to grow that eventually will split them and stop them from reaching their full growth.

To do this, my dad's got a collection of chainsaws (I think it's down to 3, so maybe not a collection anymore), and 2-3 chains for each, and even then, sometimes we have to go back down to the shop after a few hours to sharpen them all up again. Just maintaining a little half acre stand of woods and cutting up firewood, I've pretty much always got one of my two chains at the local hardware store getting sharpened.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You guys are talking about garage door openers? I'm still stuck on power caulk gun lol
They're pretty fantastic. If you've ever failed at laying steady bead using a regular gun, it will take you about 30 seconds using a power one to be converted.