Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
All the oil for Tropico, Presidente!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Booze is too hilariously broken as we've seen, and I don't think we've see All the oil as much.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I kinda want to make an Alcohol joke, but that might be confusing for the vote counting.
Just do oil, so A

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lulti posted:

I kinda want to make an Alcohol joke, but that might be confusing for the vote counting.
Just do oil, so A

Oil allow an alcohol joke or two; they're always worth a shot.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

What a crude joke

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You're both monsters

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
These jokes are proof you goons can't be trusted with alcohol, so A: Oil all the way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Give me some Booze to Blunt these terrible puns.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A

Oil's well that ends well.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I can't think of a good oil pun so I shall abstain.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

queserasera posted:

I can't think of a good oil pun so I shall abstain.

Yeah, they can be fracking difficult to think of. I had a few in the pipeline, but couldn't distill them down to even a fraction of something good.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I apologize for the spillage of all these horrible puns caused by my unrefined attempt at humor.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think Leal is gonna want a prohibition on puns after this vote.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Look at it this way, there probably aren't that many threads with slick oil puns like these.

Malah
May 18, 2015

:wtc:

You've all been infected by crazy, no way in hell are you getting more booze. Let's see about oil!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oil wins. Maybe I should negate all votes that had puns with them :unsmigghh:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Leal posted:

Oil wins. Maybe I should negate all votes that had puns with them :unsmigghh:

If you do that there will be blood.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

McGavin posted:

If you do that there will be blood.

No blood for oil

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Leal posted:

No blood for oil

I think this means you've just lost the right to criticize the oil puns :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropican Utopia

With no more possible Crooks to interfere, it's time to finally make Tropico a paradise.

Presidente should look proper when building Utopia. This build increases oil sales, increases factory production, and entrepreneurial gives a flat price increase to everything. Pompous is the negative trait because well, what else would a person be when they make their land a paradise?

Welcome back to Isla de Hierro, odd choice having the second mission's map be the last.

So something you may want to do is build an immigration center and DISABLE immigration this mission, as you get a curve ball thrown at you when you hit 100.

You know, if you're bad :smug:

Time to start naming goons! Everyone in the 13-26 age bracket gets renamed to goon names. I chose this range cause they wont die of old age :v:

Now time to start drilling for oil :getin: I had to restart the map a few times to get 2 female college educated citizens.

The secondary objectives this mission is your cabinet approaching you to increase the happiness of your citizens. Of course Vasquez wants healthcare.

Up the hill in the center of the map I throw down 2 banana farms and a papaya farm. This spot is the island's fertile area, its kinda neat. At the top of the hill it can grow all of the food crops and coffee, in the middle of the hill its tobacco, and the bottom is sugar.

You know, if we went with booze baron.

Our first protestor is Mechanical Ape.

And is our first rebel :argh:

And the second protestor, Doublecakes, as palace guards Aeromancia and Veloxyll watch on.

TRAITOR!

People are too drat impatient to wait until I get the ussr aid edict to throw down some housing. I go for apartments, though I will do some tenements just to get more housing available. But apartments for all!

Whine whine whi

Oh god this island is getting hit by the earthquake curse again

:psyduck: We got 7k after a 2.5k building got destroyed.

I throw down 2 tobacco plantations, starting to have an unemployment problem.

And after hitting the disaster I decided to make a very important save. I replayed this mission a few times and renaming goons was driving me nuts :shepface:

Meet Doublenegative, currently protesting to the pond by the farms.

And meet Kaosdrachen, our first criminal. Goons are the worst.

Oh no, the oil well dried up. Land based oil deposits really don't last long.

Time to throw down another! There are 3 land oil deposits on this island.

Throwing down just one well though, we don't have the extra college educated women to staff a second oil well.

Hey yeah why not, lets give a speech.

Never realized building a high school was a possible mandate promise.

El Presidente: My dear comrades, the importance of the upcoming elections has brought me before you. We are one step closer to our goals. Victory is almost upon us, but we must still push forward.

Yes, there are problems. There will always be problems, especially in the current economic situation. The shacks in the cities, about which I hear so much these days, is one of them. And it will be resolved, as will all others, in time, as the global economy stabilizes.

Still, as Presidente, I have worked hard day and night - done quite a job to ensure my worth for the responsibility you have bestowed on me. Gracias amigos! As a nation we have come a long way, but we still have a long way before us to reach our goals. The ongoing reforms will lead to the opening of the first high school in Tropico in my next mandate. The future of Tropico requires our victory!

Penultimo: Today is a bright day for the Tropican democracy! The polls are out and it's clear people voted overwhelmingly for El Presidente! The way things are going, the Secret Police will be out of work in a couple of years....

But we don't even have secret police....

Meet TheGreatEvilKing, currently knocked up. I don't think it is healthy to visit the bar while pregnant....

Oh, quick interruption. This is the curve ball, you hit 100 citizens and the game demands you have 50k in your pocket within 5 years or its game over. That isn't earn 50k, that is keeping 50k in the bank.

No problem though :v:

Anyways here is TheGreatEvilKing's apartment, and inside said apartment is her husband Danger-Pumpkin. And it turns out she had the child between screenshots, what did they name their newborn?

You dorks

After getting 50k here is the next big leap, a 20 dollar MINIMUM wage law. Needless to say, this puts a lot of strain on your budget. Gonna hold off on it for now.

Lopez will give a few missions revolving around wealth, and suitably enough he pays out the most in swiss bank funds.

The area where the farms are at will provide 40 mw of power, so I get up a hospital. Never clinics! Time to get Vasquez's request done.

Speaking of doctors, meet Veloxyll. Looks like he got tired of being a palace guard and became a doctor.

Congrats to Lulti!

Gonna put that tobacco to use with a cigar factory. What oil baron doesn't smoke a comically large cigar while counting his money?

Speaking of oil, this well is about to dry up...

And I am reminded to finish off this oil refinery so I can turn that crude into oil products. This spot is near 2 sea based oil wells.

And I start up another well on the last land oil deposit.

Rest in peace Phelddagrif, you will be mioh poo poo look at that income

The sea denies me the right to educate my citizens to work in the oil refinery :argh:

Fun fact: My first attempt at this mission had TWO tsunamis hit before I got 100 citizens at the start, which killed basically all of the named goons. That may have been why I took longer to get this update out.

Finally got the healthcare taken care, Esteban comes in for religion!

I throw down a cathedral to help with that.

And time to make that big leap! A leap of faith, if you will. Cause the cathedral.

Hoo boy, just to make it more of a strain on your budget the next step is getting 300 people.

I raise high school wages to 22, and college to 25. And the 4 palace guards get 30 :v: I adjust prices accordingly, all entertainment buildings charge 20 and all apartments are 6.

Speaking of housing, I build a comfortable house for Kaosdrachen. Right next to the lovely view of the oil refinery and dump.

Congrats Kanthulhu! And hey, now that I can use defense edicts...

Welcome back wayward goons!

Throwing down banks, need to save as much as I can with the wage law. Getting a tv station up, sadly the last 2 apartments near the bank aren't being effected by the fire department.

Another Tropican mother hitting up the bar, Palometa and her husband Xeed having five kids. Dear lord.

With the oil profits, I build a nuclear energy plant. Why not?

Sure its costing 30k (on top of importing crude to refine), but we are exporting 120k!

Congrats wiegieman!

While looking for him I learned that hey, ministers also drive limos like El Presidente does!

Here is defense minister Kanthulhu heading to work, and our first gay goon couple, married to palace guard Aeromancia.

Double Nine has moved up to being our first Bishop. First he was a farmer, now he is a college educated man of the cloth.

Sadly this mission wont be finished, and not because I ignored it!

Well I already got 2 of each up, because the religious satisfaction is annoyingly low still.

Three edicts we need to fire up, I generally always have social security up. But the free housing is going to further effect the budget.

Never popped this before, it increases food satisfaction by 20 but doubles your food consumption.

Bananas, papayas, corn, beef, pineapple, fish, and firing off that edict gives an amazing 100 food quality. I clearly could have hit the 80 a few missions back when Vasquez wanted high food quality.

Need more apartments for the population, got a shopping mall up for the luxury goods mission.

And our last land oil well has dried up, hope those ladies can manage to find a new job!

Now we need to keep them running for at least 3 years, but I'm gonna keep them up for the rest of the mission. Ending them is for quitters!

Overview of our farming area. I built 2 teamsters office on that strip of road to keep up with the production.

I've also built a cement factory and a chemical factory. Faster building and better hospitals!

Well this was easy, had about 70 when this mission popped.

HEH, 69

And this is the final side mission, Vasquez wants housing. Its weird that El Diablo and Mrs. Pineapple don't show up at all. Maybe El Diablo would request a contraception ban so there will be more native Tropicans, Mrs. Pineapple could ask for so many college educated citizens. Then again, El Diablo has appeared of all, 5 times? In the story line.

I was wondering why, despite having all apartments I was still at 62 housing quality. This tenement escaped my eyes, blow it up!

Shopping mall is up, and look at that upfront cost with the imports. We need 2k goods, however the citizens don't use the mall enough to get enough imports in by the end of the mission. I have it set to Outlet Store so we make 40 off each visit... and this never pulls a profit at the end of the mission. Malls only exist to run a deficit, just like in real life!

HEY! WHY THE gently caress IS THERE A SHACK OUT HERE, WE HAVE SPACE IN APARTMENTS AND THEY DON'T CHARGE RENT! QUIT DRAGGING DOWN THE HOUSING SCORE YOU IDIOTS!

I bet that area smells like roses, with a cattle ranch, a dump and of course the rankest thing of all: Papayas. Cinco de Mayo recently passed and we got tons of pallets of pineapples, roma tomatoes, corn... and of course papayas and the loving smell. The smeeeeeeelllllll :byodood:

I wonder if this is why the rich gets so many tax cuts irl, you get big wigs bribing the officials in charge.

Sure, nearly 39k but with almost 450k in the bank its a drop in the bucket.

City shot, all of these apartments. I blow up the apartments that are not in the firehouse radius so the people living in them will move to an apartment that is in the radius.

For some reason, even though everyone is living in an apartment with 69 (HEH) housing quality, I am stuck at 64 housing satisfaction. So I start tossing down houses, that start with 70 and get 80 with the fire department bonus.

Finally, here we are. The home stretch, and with half a mil in the bank (and 60% construction discount) this is a drop in the bucket. BUT! Here is the last curveball, and can be a kick in the crotch: You have to finish this before 2012 (cause thats when the world ends, remember that? Also remember y2k?) You get no forewarning about this, now I finish this at 1991, but if you were slower at getting things done its possible to be past 2012 when this pops up and you instantly lose.

Nature itself does not want me to finish.

Of course, touching down all around the city hub...

But if you look here, you see a tornado hitting the statue of El Presidente, and doing nothing. This is a metaphor :smug:

Of course it blew up both marketplaces, deleting all our food. This is bullshit.

Hey, haven't done this in a while (and will be doing it a lot next map!), meet the Christ the Savior statue! Found under Landmarks & Beauty for a whopping 45k, this building increases the beauty of the area around it, instantly converts 10 citizens to the Religious faction, and will make more people join the faction (...not like the Religious faction is exactly a rare faction for people to be a part of). It's also huge, I mean look at that. Also I'm sure I'm committing some form of blasphemy having a statue of Jesus Christ next to iconography of El Presidente, with a golden statue.

And yeah, the mall at this point is running a 20k deficit, and we only managed to bring in 1,279 luxury goods. Sure I could have built another shopping mall but :goleft:

Overview of the city, nearly 400 people.

The oil refinery generated nearly 800k in profits at the end.

Docks and industry.

Food lane, threw up a second cigar factory just to use up the tobacco.

And of course... El Presidente's Palace with a nuke in the backyard :getin:

Victory!

Tropico jingle plays

I've built my great nation.

I've done justice to every crook in my way.

My dreams have come true.

What lies ahead? What does fate have in store for me?

I look at the future and marvel at the wonders I see there.

See you there, my friends! Or else!

But no really Penultimo, Presidente is gonna take a vacation and enjoy some of that wonderful Swiss bank money.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'M FINALLY FREE FROM TRAFFIC JAMS

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Leal posted:

I'M FINALLY FREE FROM TRAFFIC JAMS

Not trying hard enough :colbert:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I find myself being gender-swapped and pregnant pretty hilarious.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Yay I made defense minister and gay married. Amazing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ah the loving 'free space, low rent, but gonna live in a shack' people, there's a cheevo for having no homeless population but those guys make it impossible.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Tropico 5 LP when?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm sure Interior has something for me to go mad with power over.

Great LP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Interior IS the position obtained by being a police officer :v:

Robindaybird posted:

ah the loving 'free space, low rent, but gonna live in a shack' people, there's a cheevo for having no homeless population but those guys make it impossible.

Yeah I don't get it. Especially in that particular location, it was northeast of where the farms are. There is NOTHING out there. Generally shacks pop up in the middle of town so they're at least near stuff.

NHO posted:

Tropico 5 LP when?

Oh uh, thats coming after I finish LP'ing all the Neptunia games

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Great LP.

Don't you get the Secret Police? I'm pretty sure I found a "Property of Wiegieman" sticker on my phone.

I'm sure El Prez's vacation will go fine, what's the worst he could come back to?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Leal posted:

Yeah I don't get it. Especially in that particular location, it was northeast of where the farms are. There is NOTHING out there. Generally shacks pop up in the middle of town so they're at least near stuff.

I tried to put a fuckton of garages and houses near anyplace I had some kind of work place, keep my rent low, wages decent, free housing - and these fuckers still want to live in shacks, especially aggravating when the maids and tourist workers keep trying to build it next to the marinas and luxury hotels.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good job getting through the game presidente! :toot:

Since you can import food so cheaply running the extra food policy isn't a problem. Unless your teamsters are horrendously overworked of course. But in Tropico 5 food seems to magically appear at the grocers and supermarkets so you can run it all the time without any problems whatsoever.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I did actually run into a problem in T5 when an island grew so massive that my teamsters got stuck in traffic around the docks. I didn't realize this until I suddenly ran out of money because I couldn't get enough exports out to pay the peasants. I had two rum distilleries full of booze! :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It feels like the pathfinding/traffic routing was even worse in 5

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Pumping housing happiness past a point usually entails either mass upgrading your apartments with AC units or just outright replacing them with condos.

As for Food for the People, I usually just left that on myself, but it does require a bit of planning until Modern Times rolls around. Which it just did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

upgrading your apartments with AC units or just outright replacing them with condos.

gently caress, I keep forgetting about this. Did I even mention that this was possible at some point? I'm gonna ninja edit this info into an update if I didn't. Yeah, tenements and apartments can have AC units installed that increases the housing quality by 10 and costs like 2mw of power.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

You still have DLC to go through! As you told a few times.

Modern Times are coming to Tropico 4 LP, no? You can write about upgradeability of apartments there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
State of Emergency

Modern Times... THIS is how you do an expansion. Remember when you put more money into a game after buying the base game you got a lot of stuff out of it? That is what Modern Times is all about. Not only does it provide a new mechanic (the timeline), new buildings and edicts, but an entirely new campaign with new characters! That shows you how much work went into this expansion.

Modern Times gets its own campaign selection. If you somehow missed the previous 20 missions, this means we didn't get to enjoy any of the Modern Times content while doing the vanilla campaign.

As said, Presidente did take that vacation and left Penultimo in charge. Penultimo, I left you a rich island with a happy populace, how did you screw this up? YOU HAD ONE JOB!

I went with the first build I had at the start of the LP, just a little nod to our personality changing Presidente.

Are armchair economist as insufferable as armchair psychologists?

Also to note, like the last time we had newspapers the newspaper articles in these shots are copy/paste from various mission intros.

Man this got topical.

I think this is referencing the Nottingham Hill riots? The newspaper is dated 1959, close enough.

Hrm, Rodriguez certainly changed after accepting Vasquez's beliefs.

Isn't this the guy who made the TV series with the dancing, backwards speaking midget?

Presidente: In a world going down, we are looking up.

Presidente: When everyone thinks it's time for caution, it's time for action.

Presidente: Dream with me, my fellow citizens of the world!

Dream big!

I wonder how big of a population is needed to get an island that densely packed...

Welcome back to... Wait this is a new island! Welcome to Isla de Sentencia, the first new island in Modern Times. Pretty fancy roadwork there.

Penultimo, I have never burnt farms to starve out rebels (side note, wouldn't it be kinda neat if that was a thing? Rebels raiding farms for food, so you would put more military around them.). In fact Penultimo I rarely even have rebels!

So hey, whats this clock above the map?

Meet the big mechanic change that Modern Times brings, the timeline. No longer is time simply a thing that makes your Tropicans die and makes them demand higher wages. Now things happen, buildings become unlocked, real life events kick off in game changes, its great. Looks like next year there will be an increase in beef, so some of our food producing buildings should be cattle ranches.

I rework the road and build up farms and ranches to the north of the city hub. This area can grow each food crop wall enough, and its where our ranches will have better pastures. I'll also throw a logging camp around here to take advantage of the trees.

Oh god its you again. I like how the VA handles the "Just like old times" line, its so full of spite. I love when VAs have fun with their lines.

So hey! A huge change from T4 campaigns to MT campaigns: There is a hard gimmick in each level that really messes with you. They go crazy with setting up events, it helps keep you on your toes. Well enough cause MT buildings are uh.. broken and the campaign would be a cakewalk if not for these.

Oh wow, that is quite the boost to our basic food crop. Who would've thought selling corn would be the way to go for making money :v:

Oh god why, who did this? What horrible, awful, inhuman monster did such an evil act?!

There we go, keep it nice and clean!

Oh neat, in this mission food will increase in price. Not bad, especially since building 6 food producing buildings for a population as small as ours is way overkill.

As shown! Guess I wont be making more money off corn now.

Went to put up the token foreign aid camp and whaaa, what is this new spot in my edicts menu?

The Modern Times edicts are different then the non general edicts, simply needing a certain requirement and not needing a minister to pop them.

Good thing I got them beef ranches up, and this is before the 50% price increase!

Now you may be wondering why bother with logging if food prices are going up? Well logs are sold faster, food takes time to grow :goleft:

Not pictured is non smoke beef going up 50%. I hope our ranches will actually produce before the 2 years are up.

How are our citizens even being influenced by foreign media, we have no media on the island!

Building up the city. I know its hard to see after resizing, but when a timeline event happens there will be text stuck above the map that says what the current year's timeline event is. In this case it'll remind us that beef went up 50% for the next 2 years.

Oh man that is annoying. Dock workers and miners aren't that bad because they don't hire as many people, but builders hire more. And I can't wait it out with them, I need stuff built!

And our tutorial to the new buildings! 1959 hits...

And we now have this building available!

Meet the Supermarket, under Food and Resources for 5k. This building works just like a marketplace, but it gives a flat +20 quality to the food service. It also hires 4 workers... I dunno if that actually effects anything. It also comes with 3 work modes:

Normal food is the base rate, but still retains the +20 quality bonus.

Junk Food further increases the food service by 10 because salts, oils and fats are delicious. The downside is that it reduces the lifespan of Tropicans from eating artery clogging food. Is this actually a downside though...? Less retirees!

Healthy Food reduces the food quality by 10 (for a net gain of 10?) because veggies are disgusting and health nuts screech that eating fruits is bad because of the sugar in them. On the flipside it makes Tropicans live longer. You know, if you want more retirees eating up social security.

Oh and something to note... The marketplace? Yeah, thats gone. Permanently. If you didn't get one built before 1959 you'll have to pay 10 times (500 vs 5k) the amount to get a central food hub. This is one of the downsides to Modern Times: When a building is replaced you are forced to use its upgrade, you cannot downgrade the building. While a lot of buildings are OP, there are some cases where you'll wish to have the old versions.

On the northeast side of the island there is a single gold deposit. I should mention that this is the only ore deposit on the island, no iron or bauxite. Lots of salt though (10!). This is to help get cash coming in faster while the crops grow.

Speaking of, here is our food production area. Get some of that delicious Tropican beef profits.

I also throw down a wharve by the docks, why not. Fish prices do go up this mission as well.

And I do some fancy roadwork, why not? As I said, Modern Times eliminates the funky road AI... Provided I don't hit the proper year this map.

Remember y2k? Hell, remember how the world was gonna end in 2012?

Erm, maybe I should rush the newspaper building...

Quick build a go go as our builders are lazy assholes.

Throw down a saw mill for our logs. Spoilers: No one loving works at this one for some reason. And it isn't because I lack education!

Oh that Van Hoof, always managing to relay important information late! Also oddly numbered monetary rewards.

Well hey, that reward is just enough to cover the cost of hiring ministers from abroad!

Alright, here is a new "quest chain" in Modern Times. This is independent of the campaign, these will always pop up. When a new building is discovered, you'll get a mission to modernize your buildings. In this case we discovered the fish farm, so we gotta...

...Blow up the obsolete buildings, in this case our single wharf.

Then we build a few of the new building. Also Lopez its kind of a dick move to shittalk the fishermen, you know who works the fish farms? Yeah, fishermen.

Quick pause on that, our people may leave for some other crappy island nation! I know of a better plan: We shut down Madagascar by having someone arrive with a cold. Am I the only one who knows that joke

Getting up some power, the 40mw area is aalll the way at the northern tips of the island. Also there are 2 ruins on this island, again on the tips.

As said, no one wants to work at the stupid saw mill :smugjones:

Meet the fish farm! Under Food and Resources for 6k, this building replaces wharves in 1961. The employment changes from 4 fishermen to 3, be aware of that. Fish farms are... honestly, ridiculous. They do not run out of fish, the fishermen don't need to go out and catch fish to generate, and if the wiki is correct there is 0 upkeep costs, just the wages. It also has 3 work modes:

Extra fish provides... extra fish. Gives you more fishies.

Fish and Shrimp increases the service quality of nearby restaurants and gourmet restaurants.

Fish and Oysters generates extra money by cultivating oysters. This is the what makes fish farms ridic, a fully staffed one will make at minimum 1k. A month. 12k a year just off oyster profits, that isn't accounting for fish exports.

This is just the start to how OP Modern Time's buildings are...

Oh god the panic meter is almost to 100 WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU GUYS FINISH THIS :supaburn:

:byodood:

Oh god its chaos.

Presidente running through the alleyways of the slums, cleaning up the streets.

Here is a shot of a soldier shooting at a priest in front of a church.

:siren: CARE TO DETAIL! The homeless guy puts down his bag and throws a rock, then kneels to pick it back up before moving on. Thats great, I'm sure if EA made this game the bag would either teleport to the floor or would still be in the guy's hand as he throws rocks.

Well Penultimo, we just lost a ton of population...

But hey, homeless dude who was throwing rocks at a priest while a soldier was blasting him, congrats on finding a new job and home!

Jee, thanks for finally getting the tv station up. Assholes.

Gimme that swiss bank money :tinfoil:

Hm, don't remember hospitals looking like that. Wait what, that isn't a hospital? Then what is the H for?

Meet the Modern Apartment! Under Housing for 10k (!) AND requires 5mw of power along with a 4k blueprint, these replace apartments in 1966. This building provides a base living quality of 75 and houses 12 families, as many as a tenement while being smaller then a tenement. Its got 2 upgrades:

Climate Control costs 1k and 2mw of power to install AC units that increase the housing quality by 15

Dooman Kiosk ensures that the building doesn't generate any crime.

So there is an extreme example of the Modern Times upgrade system, you go from a building that costs 5k and needs no power to needing 10k and needs power. And you can't downgrade, so if your infrastructure isn't up to par then you've been regulated to using tenements for mass housing.

Note that the USSR aid edict also effects Modern Apartments, so they become 5k a pop.

And hey, this is close to a hospital! Meet the Sanatorium, under Welfare and Economy for 7.5k. This building is unlocked in 1961, it doesn't replace anything. This building provides slightly better healthcare (65) compared to clinics (50) and can hold... 2 whole extra people. As you can see, its also pretty huge, which makes these features kinda dull with the giant footprint.

You can charge for healthcare here, but... I dunno what system it uses, 1/3rd wages like housing? Full wages, like entertainment? I dunno, all I know is when I start charging Tropicans rarely visit the place. The building is very useful for one thing though: The healthcare reform edict. It also has 2 extra work modes, along with the usual preventative/obstetrics/gerontology that clinics/hospitals have:

Rehab will allow tourists to visit, only wealth and spring breakers will visit. You'll earn 150% of the pay per visit for this.

Psych Ward essentially brain washes visitors, as long as Presidente has 7.5k in the swiss bank account. They will have higher respect and may convert to Loyalists.

So yeah, if it wasn't for the fact they're used for the healthcare reform edict I would probably ignore this building. And I mean... nothing is stopping me from destroying the place after. I guess at least it doesn't require power?

I do like some of the details though.

Well drat this is annoying, I just build a college and can't hire any professors :saddowns:

Oh hey, a new quest chain! It would be Sunny who wants organic stuff, wouldn't it?

Alright, all food is destroyed! Its ok, the citizens can survive off fish and beef. And bark if they really need their greens.

I mean hey, so far I haven't been hit by a natural disaster so let's keep Mother Nature happy.

Meet the Bio Farm! These are under Food and Resources for 5k and replace farms in 1967. These... are also pretty ridic, like fish farms. Let me talk about its work modes, they work a bit differently then farms:

Corn ....Duh

Food Crops will grow Bananas, Papayas and Pineapples

Cash Crops will grow Coffee, Tobacco and Sugar

So it doesn't grow one type of crop (unless you pick corn, of course), it can grow all 3 of food or cash crops all at once, at a faster rate. Oh and the 2 non corn modes? They'll still produce some corn on the side. See what I mean when I say Modern Times buildings are OP?

Also it helps that you know exactly where the crops will grow, in the building blueprint. No fear of farms cannibalizing eachother's crops, no fear of building over good farm land. Also it produces these crops FASTER then default farms, and I recall some people going in deep and saying that the cash crop mode will even outproduce plantations. While producing all cash crop types. And corn on top of it. The wiki states that a corn work mode farm will feed 135 citizens, a food crop farm will feed 120, compared to the 50ish regular farms are estimated.

This is just the start. Modern Times is basically going "oh, was this annoying? K, here is this building that removes the annoyances" If you can call it a downside, these only hire 4 farmers compared to the 6 regular farms hire (and 8 from plantations). I guess the other downside is that it can be difficult to maximize growing spots, since coffee and sugar grow in opposite climates. But gently caress it, it produces so much I don't think farmland rates even matter!

Mods rename me to 50 foot man eating Chupacabra.

Here is a shot of a unique landmark on the island, these geysers occasionally spurt water :)

Hey, time to finally pop this edict. Healthcare reform requires a sanitarium and a $500 payment each month, it lasts between 2-4 years and at the end it has a pretty nifty payoff: Each healthcare building (clinic/sanitarium/hospital) will be able to hold an extra 4 patients. I wish there was something like this for churches.

I SWEAR TO GOD YOU ASSHOLES STOP loving DROPPING OUT OF THE MILITARY ITS THE HIGHEST PAYING JOB THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YA'LL

Overview of the island, thankfully the Tropicans stopped being loving morons and enlisted. Uprising averted!

Whats this, criminals are making more money then El Presidente? This will not stand, if they aren't going to give me a cut of that pie then I'll give them a cozy house with bars!

Penultimo: The best drama, comedy, and tragedy is now in Tropicooooooooo--

Sunny Flowers: So true! I thought you'd never speak openly about the rule of El Presidente!

Penutlimo: --the tickets for our new Theater are at all-time low prices! What did you say, Sunny?

Sunny Flowers: Me? Oh, nothing!

That is high treason, Sunny. Anyways, meet the Theater! Found under Entertainment for 6k, replacing the Cabaret in 1960. It provides a base service quality of 50 and has a tourist spending of 50. It has 3 work modes:

Comedy provides comedy shows, mostly at the expense of Penultimo (game text!) that increases service quality by 10.

Tragedy can convert visitors to Intellectuals

Burlesque goes back to being a strip club, only males can visit but it doubles profits. This means that tourist spending just turned into 100!

Interesting thing to note is that normally eco and slob tourists don't visit the cabaret, but will visit the theater. So here is a building that makes me wish I could go back to the old building, as this building is significantly bigger then the cabaret (then again, Modern Times buildings are generally larger) and has a lower service quality rating. I mean, I guess setting it to comedy has the same quality as a cabaret (50 vs 60), but then cabarets can pop high class and get a 20% boost to quality.

Also it looks too refined to be a seedy building :goleft:

Jesus these criminals. I forgot to get a screenshot, but occasionally we are getting messages that say "3 citizens have become criminals".

2 prisons for these trouble makers!

Once again your weird rear end payment numbers. Anyways we are near half a mil off the sheer broken bio farms and fish farms, so take your convicts and shove it.

Starting to remove tenements, putting in more modern apartments.

Oh hey, looks like that pesky Llama flu from mission 18 is creeping :v: (yes this triggers one, no more migrants!)

Time to throw everyone into the slammer. No immigrants so I can't kill these people, I'm having quite the labor shortage currently. What with our citizens murdering one another off of end of the world fears.

Oh sweet, extra slots in the hospitals. If only I could reform religion...

Hm, its kinda weird seeing our advisors actually refer to one another. Outside of the radio, of course. Oh hey, thats another cool thing in this expansion: New radio lines!

Cement and chemical plant. Lets further buff the hospitals!

Well this is gonna be simple, especially with the cannery already in full swing.

Oh it was a con after all, who knew :downs:

Farms and hey, a plantation that I put up at some point and didn't want to blow up when bio farms came around. Some people finally started working at the saw mill.

City hub, the cities will get bigger, just this go around we had a low population due to uprisings (there was a second one that I cut out)

Little industry area. Since we can grow both coffee and pineapple really easily, and our broken fish farms... Canneries start to become ridiculous.

2 warves bringing in 24k a year just off oysters

Victory! Time to save the world again!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I got 6 unused backgrounds left, here is 3 to vote on:

Self-Made Man, have El Presidente be a "gently caress you, got mine" type of guy who picked himself up on his own bootstraps. This gives a bonus to US relations and factory production

Farmer hey we got these OP biofarms, why not make them more op? Gives a large increase to farmer production

Professor, Presidente is learned with all his Shakespeare quotes. This gives a large boost to skill gain and education.

Voting will end on Thursday!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Our Presidente is so smart, he should be a Professor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the H means it's a helicopter pad.