Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the first piece of advice that everyone gives to a guy looking to join a gym is 'shop around, find one where you like the culture and feel like you fit in'. if seeing people getting congratulated with a little more enthusiasm than is typical gives you ptsd flashbacks and makes you write long screeds online about how brutal it is and what type of people enjoy this behaviour, you may have joined the wrong gym. but that's ok, because you can go to another one! or you can talk to your coach and say 'coach, this makes me uncomfortable, may i not please?' or basically any number of things besides this really bizarre and passionate online hissy fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Marching Powder posted:

it is really stupid, but nobody here is saying that.

Okay, I'm probably holding some baggage from Facebook threads about the same thing

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

when's the next EBI?
to the best of my knowledge it's

I'm really excited for it. I love Ritchie's style, him and Ben Eddy are my favorite guys to watch roll.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheTofuShop posted:

to the best of my knowledge it's

Hm I guess that looks ok. Nothing that makes me :eyepop: but Gumbi Girl Grappling is always a good time, and I'm interested in seeing Vagner just completely murder Boogie.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
It's stupid but so bowing every time you step on or off the mat and lining up by belt color and bowing and shaking each other's hands at the end of every class. BJJ and sports in general are full of stupid poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Craig Jones is queued up for this

http://boasuper8.com

I don't expect the competition to give him much trouble, but I guess you never know

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Marching Powder posted:

the first piece of advice that everyone gives to a guy looking to join a gym is 'shop around, find one where you like the culture and feel like you fit in'. if seeing people getting congratulated with a little more enthusiasm than is typical gives you ptsd flashbacks and makes you write long screeds online about how brutal it is and what type of people enjoy this behaviour, you may have joined the wrong gym. but that's ok, because you can go to another one! or you can talk to your coach and say 'coach, this makes me uncomfortable, may i not please?' or basically any number of things besides this really bizarre and passionate online hissy fit.

:ironicat:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
has there been a combat jiu jitsu match yet where everyone agrees they are glad that it's cjj and not just typical ebi rules grappling? i'm thankful that ebi is willing to experiment with things but my initial assessment was that this is stupid and sucks and every match i've seen since has pretty much reinforced it and i wish it would go away

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

has there been a combat jiu jitsu match yet where everyone agrees they are glad that it's cjj and not just typical ebi rules grappling? i'm thankful that ebi is willing to experiment with things but my initial assessment was that this is stupid and sucks and every match i've seen since has pretty much reinforced it and i wish it would go away

There was that one where Vagner TKOed the dude. There was also one at the last EBI which had that dorky rubber guard guy which had some moments.

But I like Boogie vs Vagner whether it's cjj or regular EBI. That it's cjj just makes it a bit more of a freak show.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Jerome Louis posted:

shaking each other's hands at the end of every class.

Whats wrong and stupid with shaking hands at the end of class?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

butros posted:

What’s wrong and stupid with shaking hands at the end of class?

I dunno but I'm sure someone out there online has a problem with it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

butros posted:

Whats wrong and stupid with shaking hands at the end of class?

you shake hands before every roll and if respect and good will isn't implicit with a person in a gym i'd hope he would get kicked out. it's superfluous and unnecessary and dumb and is probably only done by frat boys, military guys, and the guys who gave me swirlies in high school. it's disgusting that people think this ritual is necessary and every gym that does it should be embarrassed that the only thing holding the fabric of the gym community together is the shaking of hands at the end of class. *spits* pure loving filth

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Look, man. I train at Marcelo's, I like the gym culture there just fine. They do the gauntlet at promotions, I have no issue with opting out of it, and I don't think that it sullies my training experience. I also think it's a dumb thing that taps into the same psychology as frat hazing and nothing of value would be lost if nobody did it anymore. Sharing my opinion about that on this, the thread where we talk about grappling, doesn't mean that it's somehow taking the place of communicating with my coach. All that nonsense about "throwing a bizarre and passionate online hissy fit" is pretty drat obnoxious.

e: ^^^ Yikes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Don't you know every social interaction has the same level of aggression? You fool, you absolute imbecile.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

you shake hands before every roll and if respect and good will isn't implicit with a person in a gym i'd hope he would get kicked out. it's superfluous and unnecessary and dumb and is probably only done by frat boys, military guys, and the guys who gave me swirlies in high school. it's disgusting that people think this ritual is necessary and every gym that does it should be embarrassed that the only thing holding the fabric of the gym community together is the shaking of hands at the end of class. *spits* pure loving filth

Frankly I don't like the idea that I'm being forced to shake hands with people who have been in the military, or god forbid, a frat. An IT guy, for sure I'll shake his hand, and perhaps even bow.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Look, man. I train at Marcelo's, I like the gym culture there just fine. They do the gauntlet at promotions, I have no issue with opting out of it, and I don't think that it sullies my training experience. I also think it's a dumb thing that taps into the same psychology as frat hazing and nothing of value would be lost if nobody did it anymore. Sharing my opinion about that on this, the thread where we talk about grappling, doesn't mean that it's somehow taking the place of communicating with my coach. All that nonsense about "throwing a bizarre and passionate online hissy fit" is pretty drat obnoxious.

you are equating a consenting silly ritual between friends to poo poo that traumatises and kills people where there is clearly a social / military status disparity and an intent to belittle and reinforce that disparity. it's loving weird and bizarre that you don't see the difference there, and you are more than welcome to have your opinions, but i still think it's stupid to equate the two things and that's my opinion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jerome Louis posted:

Frankly I don't like the idea that I'm being forced to shake hands with people who have been in the military, or god forbid, a frat. An IT guy, for sure I'll shake his hand, and perhaps even bow.

this guy gets it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I did kyokushin for a while growing up, and there were definitely some physical pain/hazing stuff that teachers and students would do during promotions that was worse than belt whippings and definitely crossed the line of stuff that should have been done with kids. The gauntlet has a similar vibe that I'm not comfortable with and choose not to participate in, on either side. Handshakes at the end of class, not so much. I also don't think that anyone is wrong or bad for taking part in the gauntlet (though I probably do look a little more favorably on coaches who choose not to do it).

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

We such each others dicks at the end of each class

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

How many people who enjoy the gauntlet are former military, boarding school or frat boys?

I was in a fraternity in college and think gauntlets are dumb. :toot:

Granted, our fraternity chapters idea of "hazing" was learning the dumb history of our chapter and then doing workouts as a group.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

*bows before stepping into thread*

Traditions are dumb and often nonsensical.

*bows before leaving thread*

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I did kyokushin for a while growing up, and there were definitely some physical pain/hazing stuff that teachers and students would do during promotions that was worse than belt whippings and definitely crossed the line of stuff that should have been done with kids. The gauntlet has a similar vibe that I'm not comfortable with and choose not to participate in, on either side. Handshakes at the end of class, not so much. I also don't think that anyone is wrong or bad for taking part in the gauntlet (though I probably do look a little more favorably on coaches who choose not to do it).

Real posting -- I don't really fault people for not wanting to do it, it is kinda stupid. I don't hit people hard at all even if I know them, more as just an acknowledgement, hey you did it. I really am probably warped from wrestling meat head culture where people would try to give each other cauli ear on purpose or steal kids clothes and make them run around the school in their underwear. Worst was when a coach had kids hold down another kid when he found out the kid had minor hemophilia and would bruise at the slightest pinch. The coach tried to pinch his initials into the kid so they would show up as a bruise and the kid got majorly hosed up, whole leg swollen and nasty. Parents made him quit wrestling and coach almost got fired. And I know for sure other wrestlers had it worse, so to me the gauntlet is extremely minor stuff, but probably not so to other people. Now that I'm officially Old I probably shouldn't take it so lightly since my kids will maybe do this stuff some day and I want them to like it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerome Louis posted:

Worst was when a coach had kids hold down another kid when he found out the kid had minor hemophilia and would bruise at the slightest pinch. The coach tried to pinch his initials into the kid so they would show up as a bruise and the kid got majorly hosed up, whole leg swollen and nasty. Parents made him quit wrestling and coach almost got fired.

:lol:

What sort of lovely school district did you go to that thought this dude should stay on after doing that?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

:lol:

What sort of lovely school district did you go to that thought this dude should stay on after doing that?

He was our head coach and like 70 years old... this was back in 1999 too. He was about to retire anyways so I think they just took the heat off him and let him retire.

He was rad but hosed up... called everyone "meatball" and would show us weird little techniques like how to break fingers and poo poo

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's 100% a macho thing that started because some shithead coach wanted BJJ training to feel more like the military.

Fabio Gurgel said he started it. He stopped doing it because parents at kids gradings didn't like seeing their children get covered in welts. He regrets it now. Chris Hauter also said he invented it so idk.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
In my experience, the guys that hit the hardest in the gauntlet are the ones that are either :

A - Some friends with whom you trashtalk a bit.
B - Guys that won't roll with you for drama/ego reasons but will jump at the occasion of getting one in on you without fear of repercussions on the mat.

Just because of B, I don't want to do the gauntlet. I had no fun doing it last time and it was only fun for a select few.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Marching Powder posted:

this really bizarre and passionate online hissy fit.

Marching Powder posted:

Marching Powder posted:

you are equating a consenting silly ritual between friends to poo poo that traumatises and kills people where there is clearly a social / military status disparity and an intent to belittle and reinforce that disparity. it's loving weird and bizarre that you don't see the difference there, and you are more than welcome to have your opinions, but i still think it's stupid to equate the two things and that's my opinion.

I didn't see anyone throwing a hissy fit. There were some posts by people who would, for whatever reason, prefer not to have to walk a gauntlet of strangers hitting them for a belt. It's not a personal attack on your way of life, or whatever.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

for the record, and i can't believe this needs explaining, but my 'hand shake' rant was a parody of the gauntlet issue and not an earnest opinion.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

for the record, and i can't believe this needs explaining, but my 'hand shake' rant was a parody of the gauntlet issue and not an earnest opinion.

Maybe it needs explaining cause it was dumb and not funny

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat does Eddie Bravo need to never talk about things not related to grappling ever again.

His recent idiocy on the JRE Fight Companion makes me question whether or not he actually has serious brain damage.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

In my experience, the guys that hit the hardest in the gauntlet are the ones that are either :

A - Some friends with whom you trashtalk a bit.
B - Guys that won't roll with you for drama/ego reasons but will jump at the occasion of getting one in on you without fear of repercussions on the mat.

Just because of B, I don't want to do the gauntlet. I had no fun doing it last time and it was only fun for a select few.

Same. Also having been in the military and gone through a bunch of dumb hazing rituals, the dudes that are the most enthusiastic about it are 100% without fail the biggest shitbags that only care about dumb military culture BS not actually being good at what they do.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

God drat does Eddie Bravo need to never talk about things not related to grappling ever again.

His recent idiocy on the JRE Fight Companion makes me question whether or not he actually has serious brain damage.

I recently listened to the episode of Grappling Central with him on it, and near the end he is literally shouting "Tower 7! Tower 7, man!" as Ryan Ford just ignores him and keeps talking.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheTofuShop posted:

I recently listened to the episode of Grappling Central with him on it, and near the end he is literally shouting "Tower 7! Tower 7, man!" as Ryan Ford just ignores him and keeps talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMducuXJeKg

This is what recently just set me off. The dude is literally being willfully r-word and then pulling a "dude don't be mad, I'm just asking questions" when faced with the reality that what he's saying is horseshit.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

i am a shark and the ground is my ocean but i dont understand what the ground is and i dont understand how oceans work and sharks are a myth perpetrated by nasa at the behest of the lizard illuminati to try and keep me away from my weed *is in a mentor position over a bunch of children*

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dave Grool posted:

Maybe it needs explaining cause it was dumb and not funny

i agree, getting extremely upset about a harmless ritual is dumb and not funny

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

i agree, getting extremely upset about a harmless ritual is dumb and not funny

You really gotta knock it off with this "extremely upset" "lol u mad" poo poo. It makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat and it's out of place in the thread, let people in CSPAM or whatever talk to each other like that.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The only one upset here, is me

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm tremendously upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013