Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The poor sap who gets Milky Moor's two page long refund requests doesn't get paid enough to deal with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Under Australian consumer law I think you’ll find banning me for saying ‘gas the jews’ is a gross violation of my rights

but what about if you teach your girlfriends pug to say it

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The ACCC website does say:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees posted:

come with undisturbed possession, so no one has a right to take the goods away or prevent you from using them

So maybe you could get a refund after being banned.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

tithin posted:

but what about if you teach your girlfriends pug to say it

You get invited to weird Nazi Symposiums

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaolanRob/status/989815268800069632

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bell jar posted:

hey i'm not saying that there shouldn't be refunds on video games, i'm just saying the people that utilise them are fuckin dumb as hell lmao

I got my money back for a game I don't like I'm loving dumb as poo poo lmao

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The campaign for that event makes me kind of sad, because the taped over mouth thing was an LGBT campaign a while ago about silencing gay voices and a girl in my class participated in it in 2008 or so and a bunch of guys berated her for being a human being

None of us stuck up for her, because we were dogshit individualist cowards, like most children, and like all the profoundly loud and listened to cunts on that roster

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 28, 2018

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
The fact that so many people are uneducated and trusting enough to fall for these sorts of traps is all the more reason to regulate the bank's ability to exploit its customers. Sure, someone borrowing way beyond their own ability to repay is a stupid thing to do, but they're being directly facilitated and pushed to greater lengths under the impression that a broker has their best interests at heart and that the banks truly do want them to realise their dreams or whatever. It's easy to just write these people off for being too stupid to learn about what they're doing, but by design a lot of that information is hard for a layperson to find and is set out in a way that is very hard for a layperson to understand. Inevitably the broker is going to know things that their clients may not, and they have a lot of incentives to take advantage of that knowledge gap. We have ethical standards for doctors and lawyers because they're in the same position - they have a lot of power because they have the training required to navigate their fields, and the average person is taught to trust them because they're The Expert. If they have leeway to exploit clients then there will definitely be people ready to take advantage of that leeway.

It doesn't really matter whether you feel sorry for any given person, the problem is that there's a culture where taking on crippling debt is the normal adult thing to do and that when all these idiots go under they're going to take a lot more people with them.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Ten Becquerels posted:

The fact that so many people are uneducated and trusting enough to fall for these sorts of traps is all the more reason to regulate the bank's ability to exploit its customers. Sure, someone borrowing way beyond their own ability to repay is a stupid thing to do, but they're being directly facilitated and pushed to greater lengths under the impression that a broker has their best interests at heart and that the banks truly do want them to realise their dreams or whatever. It's easy to just write these people off for being too stupid to learn about what they're doing, but by design a lot of that information is hard for a layperson to find and is set out in a way that is very hard for a layperson to understand. Inevitably the broker is going to know things that their clients may not, and they have a lot of incentives to take advantage of that knowledge gap. We have ethical standards for doctors and lawyers because they're in the same position - they have a lot of power because they have the training required to navigate their fields, and the average person is taught to trust them because they're The Expert. If they have leeway to exploit clients then there will definitely be people ready to take advantage of that leeway.

It doesn't really matter whether you feel sorry for any given person, the problem is that there's a culture where taking on crippling debt is the normal adult thing to do and that when all these idiots go under they're going to take a lot more people with them.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

No one cares if you think the victims of predatory financial practices deserve it, the fact is it's horrifying and diminishes and impoverishes us all

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Starshark posted:

true

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bigis posted:

The ACCC website does say:

So maybe you could get a refund after being banned.

this would be good as it would likely result in lowtax stopping anyone in australia from registering

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Starshark posted:

im dad

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

this would be good as it would likely result in lowtax stopping anyone in australia from registering

not gonna happen a magical lady from Mudgee is keeping him solvent

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

bell jar posted:

Its not like that at all, they're video games. If they flat out don't launch, sure, fine, but if they launch and you just don't like it very much, cop the loss. If the quality of the entertainment product isnt up to your standards, buyer beware

What? Are you aware of what the consumer guarantee says?

If the box says my toaster will also shoot fireworks, and it does not, I am entitled to a refund. Even if the idea of a firework shooting toaster is ludicrous. If my game promises me a certain thing and it does not deliver, than the consumer guarantee says pay me back. If it says it will run on Windows 10 and it doesn't, then give me my refund, if it says every world will be procedurally generated and totally different, and they are all the same but slightly different shades of beige, then give me my refund.

It's not rocket science.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Special registration procedure for all future Australian goons:

Loxtax demands your registration money in hard cash. No traceable transactions. To be handed over in a dark alleyway after 10pm in a brown paper sandwich bag.

Also the alleyway is probably in America unless he's moved so uh... start thinking about arranging flights, etc.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Konomex posted:

What? Are you aware of what the consumer guarantee says?

If the box says my toaster will also shoot fireworks, and it does not, I am entitled to a refund. Even if the idea of a firework shooting toaster is ludicrous. If my game promises me a certain thing and it does not deliver, than the consumer guarantee says pay me back. If it says it will run on Windows 10 and it doesn't, then give me my refund, if it says every world will be procedurally generated and totally different, and they are all the same but slightly different shades of beige, then give me my refund.

It's not rocket science.

You don't need to posit a magic appliance to explain why you deserve a refund you want for a video game

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Labor with the miracle win-win policy

Its a blue moon

quote:

The Labor Party has pledged to abolish the Goods and Services Tax on tampons if it wins the next election and instead raise extra money on alternative health treatments that are currently exempt from the GST.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

No one cares if you think the victims of predatory financial practices deserve it, the fact is it's horrifying and diminishes and impoverishes us all

When the media blows up an individual predatory lending incident it's always presented in isolation and the cause or effects are never explored. There's a reason why financial institutions are taking advantage of people and it has very dire effects as recent history has shown.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imo people complaining about so called "wage theft" should just gently caress off and read the contract better when they sign up for their next job what a bunch of disgusting parasites looking for the nanny state to come rescue them from their own stupidity

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

imo people complaining about so called "wage theft" should just gently caress off and read the contract better when they sign up for their next job what a bunch of disgusting parasites looking for the nanny state to come rescue them from their own stupidity

How much did you borrow?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Julian Burnside is a great Australian

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2018/04/28/the-failings-super-minister-dutton/15248376006152

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

How much did you borrow?

Considerably less than the bank was willing to offer but unlike you that doesn’t mean I side with a bunch of predators against people whose failing was financial illiteracy and not understanding that actually yes, corporations are there solely to gently caress you for a dollar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Considerably less than the bank was willing to offer but unlike you that doesn’t mean I side with a bunch of predators against people whose failing was financial illiteracy and not understanding that actually yes, corporations are there solely to gently caress you for a dollar.

That'll learn them then.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Perhaps the most worrying thing about Dutton is not his dishonesty, but his propaganda war, which already has led the Australian people to accept things that would have been unthinkable even 10 or 20 years ago. He has blinded us to the fact that we are now deliberately harming innocent men, women and children, in ways that are completely inconsistent with our view of ourselves. After all, aren’t we the nation that believes in a fair go for everyone?

By small degrees Dutton is inducing Australians to tolerate the intolerable. His campaign to make cruelty acceptable has the potential to lead Australia to very dark places. Invested in him is great power to do so, more power than any minister has had before.
I'd say we're already there. Of course it can and probably will get crueler.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Salty Sloth posted:

Considerably less than the bank was willing to offer but unlike you that doesn’t mean I side with a bunch of predators against people whose failing was their sheer greed and a desire to make a silo full of money by just signing and earning.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

You should all ask lowtax to refund your accounts.
Approximately how much for you to never post again?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

Approximately how much for you to never post again?

PayPal me $4,500 and I will never post again. Presumably you won't have any trouble getting this money from a thread full of people that don't understand the value of money and when offered it for free just say golly thanks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

PayPal me $4,500 and I will never post again. Presumably you won't have any trouble getting this money from a thread full of people that don't understand the value of money and when offered it for free just say golly thanks.

nice meltdown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome is in for $500

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

have you considered being a lifter and getting a good job that pays good money to clear your $4.5k debt

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Recoome posted:

have you considered being a lifter and getting a good job that pays good money to clear your $4.5k debt
These days you don't lift, it's just sign and earn, want more? Just sign and earn more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I did a valuation on my posting I don't have debt because I'm a huge brained financial wizard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I did a valuation on my posting I don't have debt because I'm a huge brained financial wizard.

I’d see a doctor about that

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Galaxy brain financial wizard: Constant debt from Afterpaying everything since 0% interest is better than inflation.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Matthew Guy puts Tones' flag game to shame.

EDIT: That's 16 flags behind Guy.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Guy for Flags

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/neighbours-at-war-as-parking-dispute-returns-to-court-20180427-p4zc0t.html

NIMY NIMBY NIMBY... NIM... i literally have no idea what the gently caress this is about actually, why the gently caress is this the lead article on smh what the gently caress

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Mafia running the flag game down there in Victoria eh?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
That reminds me, my local MP owes me a free flag for this year.

Soon, soon I will be able to host my own dumb nationalistic press conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Rich people with mates on the Fairfax board

• Locked thread