Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

My big issue with "is it worth it" is that the question only matters if in the frostpunk universe longterm survival of the species is possible without going full fascist. The game makes a big deal of surviving one storm but there is no indication if the planet will ever recover, or even if it will stabilize at a level of cold steampunk civilization can adapt to.

Incidentally massive global cooling means that the massive greenhouse gas emissions from a steampunk civilization might actually restore earth's normal temperature.

The sun is going out. Nothing you do will matter, because it'll just keep getting colder/worse.

It's not a global cooling/climate change issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^^you can find a document written by tesla saying that the sun isn't causing this, and that a meteor probably did

Perestroika posted:

http://my.mixtape.moe/puopzw.mp4

Managed to win the starting scenario on my second attempt, and without having to go full fash, either. :feelsgood: Things were looking really dicey during the Londoner crisis, particularly after a heating promise fell through due to an unexpected cold snap, but the huge bonuses to Hope from the Faith line turned it around at the last moments. After that I could pretty much coast until the storm, to the point where I only really bothered to build new stuff whenever a new influx of refugees made it necessary. During the storm itself something a bit weird happened: Whenever the choice came up to send people into the mines to keep them open, I accepted. They almost all died, but strangely enough that got me a massive increase of Hope each time, rather than a loss. Is that intended, or was it a strange effect of bonuses from the cemetery stacking up or something?

the assumption i had was that because they were volunteers and not drafted, the fact that they gave their lives so the mines could still produce raises hope.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 28, 2018

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So given what we know from the Refugee scenario, does that mean that all of the people in the New Home scenario are rich aristocrats that could afford to escape, and that's why they bitch about soup and extended work shifts?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
A tip is spam the hell out of Workshops; having 300% research speed with several on extended hours basically meant I was cranking out like 3+ techs a day. Getting faster and more scouts; more efficient mining and heaters; etc is all super useful and will let you snowball that much faster

One thing to keep in mind is that upgrading in place is not core efficient; I.e don’t build the middling tier for 2-core shops (like Enhanced Hothouse or Steam Mine) because when you get the advanced 3-core cost tech it will only refund you 1 so you lose out on one. Over the course of a few buildings this adds up which could be used for extra Automatons; so skip those middle tier buildings and research straight to the big beast as it won’t take much longer with workshop spam

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soylent Pudding posted:

My big issue with "is it worth it" is that the question only matters if in the frostpunk universe longterm survival of the species is possible without going full fascist. The game makes a big deal of surviving one storm but there is no indication if the planet will ever recover, or even if it will stabilize at a level of cold steampunk civilization can adapt to.

Incidentally massive global cooling means that the massive greenhouse gas emissions from a steampunk civilization might actually restore earth's normal temperature.

I mean if you assume all the scenario's are happening concurrently, you can have at very least 3 functional settlements, 4 if you save New Manchester. You could probably guess there are others scattered around somewhere and maybe people survived in other parts of the world. Then you have the failed cities like Tesla City & Winter-home which could probably be reoccupied given time.

Rookersh posted:

The sun is going out. Nothing you do will matter, because it'll just keep getting colder/worse.

huh where is that coming from, the little snippets of detail made it sounds like it was a meteor/asteroid strike? Spraying a bunch of ash into the atmopshere

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Arven posted:

So given what we know from the Refugee scenario, does that mean that all of the people in the New Home scenario are rich aristocrats that could afford to escape, and that's why they bitch about soup and extended work shifts?

The Refugee scenario starts out normally, but you have to deal with wave after wave of people coming to your city (up to about 350 or so). After the normal plebs stop showing up, the Lords will show up in 3 massive waves (70+ people each time). Functionally they are the same but you'll get various pop-up events after that like them wanting to cut in line for food or not work in the mines. It's up to you if you want to continue old world class struggle at that point.

Also note that there is no endgame cold snap in this scenario, it's up to you to keep up with the sick and hungry in refugee waves. I still find this scenario pretty difficult and the previous post about Workshop spam and extended shifts is probably the way to do it. Every time I try not to work people to death I end up falling behind on tech because the scenario demands a lot of things be done at once.

As for the Lords, :ussr: imho.

e: The Refugees scenario is one that will bite you in the rear end the hardest if you like to mash that cheetah speed button and don't diligently build tents and steam hubs.

Renounced fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 28, 2018

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I finished that first scenario without getting around to researching and building the factory, which might have been a mistake? I just always felt so busy doing other research that it never came to the top of my priorities. I had plenty of labor since I kept accepting all the refugee groups.

Factories are great because you can build automatons and use them to man your resource buildings 24/7. Having resources coming in all the time is a huge boon, you no longer have to heat the building, and with research you can even have them man your workshops and have 24/7 research, which basically saved my arse since I was way behind on research.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MadJackMcJack posted:

Factories are great because you can build automatons and use them to man your resource buildings 24/7. Having resources coming in all the time is a huge boon, you no longer have to heat the building, and with research you can even have them man your workshops and have 24/7 research, which basically saved my arse since I was way behind on research.

I guess, but in my playing I never got enough steam cores to build an appreciable number of automatons. They are better spent making upgrades resource factories and such imo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

outside of scenario 2, the only time i'd try making good use out of automatons is in scenario 1 if you put an outpost team on tesla city. otherwise i dunno if they're worth the steam cores

i wanted to see what going in big on automatons and other steamcore consuming stuff would be like, but

ninjewtsu posted:

is it jsut me or do the outpost teams from the whole right side of the map in scenario 1 (steam cores, steel, and food) never actually send any resource convoys? i waited a whole week to get one steam core and now that i've moved them over to food i don't seem to be getting any food either. the outpost is set up and it says it'll send food once every day so i don't think i personally did anything wrong.

Cobbsprite posted:

I think it's a glitch that comes when you move an outpost team. I experienced it during my first game when I moved the outpost team from coal to steam cores. I pulled my outpost team back home and disbanded them and recreated them, sent them back out, and then they worked normally once more. That's the nearest I can guess.

stupid game is bugged!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Rookersh posted:

I saw the journal text with the sun dimming. I'm just curious if I missed a reason why we think it's going to go out completely as opposed to settle down at a lower brightness.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

I saw the journal text with the sun dimming. I'm just curious if I missed a reason why we think it's going to go out completely as opposed to settle down at a lower brightness.

If we are talking about actual science the sun wouldn't dim as it died, it would would expand and eventually engulf earth as it turned into a red giant before it collapsed. A meteor would make more sense.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
sun chat/cause of the apocalypse chat: The sun dimming is something that happens naturally every once in a while (on a cosmic timescale, at least, we're still talking hundreds of thousands or millions of years here), and IRL lowered solar output is one of the hypothesized causes of planetary-scale ice ages (it's not enough by itself, but it's one possible contributing factor). Hell, this actually happened once in recorded human history; the 'Little Ice Age' in the 1600s-1700s coincides with a period of low solar output.

The game (or, well, Tesla, specifically) straight-up says that the lower solar energy wouldn't be enough to cause an ice age by itself, but it's not the only thing that happened. All the journal entries read together imply that the Earth basically hit the climate-disaster lottery, and suffered not just a period of low solar energy, but also a massive volcanic eruption and an asteroid strike, and all three together are triggering a period of intense cooling.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
How the hell do you aid New Manchester?

I have all the extra resources stored up, including a spare automoton. But for some reason when I send a scout team, human or robot, it doesnt succeed?

simmering
Nov 12, 2017

Gaj posted:

I have all the extra resources stored up, including a spare automoton. But for some reason when I send a scout team, human or robot, it doesnt succeed?

You have to go to your beacon and scroll through the create scout team or automaton till you get to the option to create a special relief team for new manchester. you can't just send your normal scouts/robots.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gaj posted:

Go to the scouting building and hit the arrow next to the "build new scout team" to change it to "send supplies"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mister Bates posted:

sun chat/cause of the apocalypse chat: The sun dimming is something that happens naturally every once in a while (on a cosmic timescale, at least, we're still talking hundreds of thousands or millions of years here), and IRL lowered solar output is one of the hypothesized causes of planetary-scale ice ages (it's not enough by itself, but it's one possible contributing factor). Hell, this actually happened once in recorded human history; the 'Little Ice Age' in the 1600s-1700s coincides with a period of low solar output.

The game (or, well, Tesla, specifically) straight-up says that the lower solar energy wouldn't be enough to cause an ice age by itself, but it's not the only thing that happened. All the journal entries read together imply that the Earth basically hit the climate-disaster lottery, and suffered not just a period of low solar energy, but also a massive volcanic eruption and an asteroid strike, and all three together are triggering a period of intense cooling.

I'd like to think in this context there there is indeed room for hope, As the dust from the volcanos/impacts clear :unsmith:

Earth 1

Auriga 0

Definitely looking forward to them exploring the world more in new scenarios and expansions. I wonder if they would do a scenario where you build some kind of grand sustainable geothermal power plant that allows mankind to go full on mole people.

Also, for scenario 2 something weird seemed to happen to me: I collected the supplies before the storm hit, and it just ended, does it not actually let you play through the last few days and the storm? I didn't get the achievement for beating the scenario too.

E: You get the achievements for saving all the arks in scenario and beating the scenario by losing the scenario, looks like they have an achievement bug there. Also yep, no storm in S2

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 29, 2018

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I guess I want there to be a little bit of hope for survival because the setting is captivating. If I can find the right system for it I'd love to run a few tabletop RPG adventures set 10-20 years after the game events where a couple of cities have stabilized and adventurers go forth looting the ruins of civilization and failed sanctuaries and trying to reestablish limited trade between the sanctuaries that survives.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just finding out about the game now. After a few days of being out, what's the general consensus, game good, sale good, bad?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just finding out about the game now. After a few days of being out, what's the general consensus, game good, sale good, bad?

Game good, I played for 30 hours and did just about everything.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If anything, this game is real tense and kept me on the edge of the seat for the entire endgame in scenario 1.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

counterfeitsaint posted:

Depends, its a good solid game that's well polished and looks great; whether its worth 30$ to you is more in the air and your budget. Do you like Tropico-games? Its very much that in a lot of ways with worker-optimization setting them to different buildings, some city planning for space-efficiency purposes, etc--except more pressure on survival-timer side of things. Personally, I don't feel compelled to replay it and the other scenarios are too much the same as the main scenario for the most part and the game has I think a very much deterministic-route/gamesetup to bother replaying, but that's just me and I don't really replay games much to begin with.

It's an easy must-buy 10/10 recommendation at a $15 price point for sure though. If money is no object, hell yeah get it right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This game solidifies the idea that cold-based gameplay is really compelling, especially for survival games. I think it's partially because cold is a real threat in the real world that kills people all the time. Extreme heat is something that is a huge problem in some places, but basically anyone who lives in a northern country has the cold as a serious problem. Living in northern USA we aren't that far above the frost line, and yet in winter losing your power is the dead of winter isn't just annoying, it's dangerous. There are social services that are just for making sure people can heat their homes.

It's a more realistic threat than "you haven't had a drink of water in three minutes, so you died"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't played any Tropico games, but this kinda sounds like a Steampunk version of Banished, which sounds really good. I'll probably try it out soonish.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I would say this, it felt a little short. However the setting is quite interesting and I really want more, which if the Dev's are going to continue to support it I think it was an excellent buy even if I won't touch it for awhile.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't played any Tropico games, but this kinda sounds like a Steampunk version of Banished, which sounds really good. I'll probably try it out soonish.

Ehhh it's more This War of Mine with city building rather than the scouting minigame. If you are looking for a sustainable town simulator you might be disappointed.

The game runs 45 days and has spiking difficulty through to the end.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xaris posted:

A tip is spam the hell out of Workshops; having 300% research speed with several on extended hours basically meant I was cranking out like 3+ techs a day. Getting faster and more scouts; more efficient mining and heaters; etc is all super useful and will let you snowball that much faster

One thing to keep in mind is that upgrading in place is not core efficient; I.e don’t build the middling tier for 2-core shops (like Enhanced Hothouse or Steam Mine) because when you get the advanced 3-core cost tech it will only refund you 1 so you lose out on one. Over the course of a few buildings this adds up which could be used for extra Automatons; so skip those middle tier buildings and research straight to the big beast as it won’t take much longer with workshop spam

Wait, how are three workshops 300%? The game was telling me that one workshop is 100, two are 130, three are 150 or something like that. I had 3-4 and kid apprentices helping out and I was rarely getting more than one tech a day. To be fair I didn’t switch on extended shifts for them until late in the game; I spent a while not taking enough advantage of the Faith’s ability to control discontent.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Order also gives you the Foreman ability to boost productivity by 50% on each workshop for 24 hours, so with an emergency shift on top of that you can crank out 3-4 techs per day (depending on the tier).

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET
I believe the Bread and Games achievement may not be working.

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, how are three workshops 300%? The game was telling me that one workshop is 100, two are 130, three are 150 or something like that. I had 3-4 and kid apprentices helping out and I was rarely getting more than one tech a day. To be fair I didn’t switch on extended shifts for them until late in the game; I spent a while not taking enough advantage of the Faith’s ability to control discontent.

Using automatons on workshops is also incredibly powerful, albeit approaching lategame. I believe they also benefit from child apprentices (Infirmaries do at least). Foremans also inexplicably boost automaton output as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pirate Radar posted:

Three workshops aren't. I had about ~8-ish, and also had Faith's Shrine ability which boosted them to 120%; and had children apprentices.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Renounced posted:

Foremans also inexplicably boost automaton output as well.

Ugh those lazy good for nothing machines slacking off, don't they know that time is money :argh::capitalism:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xaris posted:

Three workshops aren't. I had about ~8-ish, and also had Faith's Shrine ability which boosted them to 120%; and had children apprentices.

I thought from what the game said benefits were capped at 4? I haven’t been building any more than that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought from what the game said benefits were capped at 4? I haven’t been building any more than that.

They just keep stacking, albeit with each contributing less.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

outside of scenario 2, the only time i'd try making good use out of automatons is in scenario 1 if you put an outpost team on tesla city. otherwise i dunno if they're worth the steam cores

Yeah, I by the end I had four automatons in scenario 1, and they worked out quite well. I had them on my coal mines pretty much 24/7, which allowed me to be pretty liberal when it came to plopping down steam cores and heaters everywhere. Which in turn meant that sickness was hardly ever an issue, I never even built an infirmary until just before the storm hit. It was also pretty handy to be able to shift them around to boost production as needed, like putting them on hothouses when food would run low after a recent influx of people. But on the whole they probably weren't critical, Faith offers so many ways to easily lower Dissatisfaction that I probably could have achieved that with extended and emergency shifts as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"faith was abused" yeah gently caress you buddy my uncle was soup

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This game solidifies the idea that cold-based gameplay is really compelling, especially for survival games. I think it's partially because cold is a real threat in the real world that kills people all the time. Extreme heat is something that is a huge problem in some places, but basically anyone who lives in a northern country has the cold as a serious problem. Living in northern USA we aren't that far above the frost line, and yet in winter losing your power is the dead of winter isn't just annoying, it's dangerous. There are social services that are just for making sure people can heat their homes.

It's a more realistic threat than "you haven't had a drink of water in three minutes, so you died"

A heat-themed frostpunk style game would be rad as hell, having to dig out caves to do anything and your scouts would be limited by the amount of water they could carry/find. To hell with throwing kids into the engine to stay warm, this time around you're juicing cripples for their precious bodily fluids.

e: Near the end of my main story scenario, I just had this steadily increasing number of hungry people despite being maxed at about 3000 rations. No idea why but they eventually went away.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Finally managed to beat Refugees on hard, I kept either running out of coal or food.

I thought I was going to fail the scenario right up until the end because I turned all the Lords away (couldn't have kept them alive even if I'd admitted them) and ended up being faced with the task of building two fortified outpost thingies for 500 wood / 500 steel each. I had no chance of gathering that in the three days I had remaining, I thought it would lead to a fail state where the Lords rolled in and took my poo poo but it did not play out like that.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess, but in my playing I never got enough steam cores to build an appreciable number of automatons. They are better spent making upgrades resource factories and such imo.

In my successful playthrough (first time I underestimated food consumption and paid the price) I put an outpost in Tesla City and whenever my scouts had a choice of leaving machinery for an outpost or dismantling for cores I always dismantled (except the bridge automaton). This meant I had enough cores for all the wall drills and coal mines, automatons to man them and the steelworks and workshops, and enough for an infirmary or two. No hothouses though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

In my successful playthrough (first time I underestimated food consumption and paid the price) I put an outpost in Tesla City and whenever my scouts had a choice of leaving machinery for an outpost or dismantling for cores I always dismantled (except the bridge automaton). This meant I had enough cores for all the wall drills and coal mines, automatons to man them and the steelworks and workshops, and enough for an infirmary or two. No hothouses though.

Yeah, Tesla City is really useful and probably the best outpost location you could pick. I put one down there (unfortunately rather late, only netting me like three cores before the storm), and one on the coal mine, which seemed like the best options. You can scale up wood and food production according to your needs easily, and I never really had much of a steel bottleneck, so there's probably no need for an outpost on any of those.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In hindsight I think I could have climbed the tech tree a little quicker, ended up having to really scramble for iron to get to the 4th tier before the storm hit. I'll be trying to do it again using Order rather than Faith but that's probably going to be a huge ball-buster in the mid and late game if there's not a way to just press a button for massive hope boosts caused by making your townfolk go caroling in the middle of a -150C ice storm.

e: But dang that music swell at the end owned bones. Thankfully I straight up hoarded coal and rations, dismantled and deactivated everything that wasn't a coal source and practically coasted to the end at max speed while the city froze to death slightly slower than exposure because I needed to blip the overdrive a bit during the last day and a half to keep the loving thing from exploding.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 29, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I always feel extremely limited on steel. When it comes to coal and wood you can always just throw more bodies at the resource and expand production. Steel always is bottlenecked by the two steelworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Xaris posted:

You can also safely order one emergency shift per day once you have your population near a fighting pit- this means that if you go Emergency Shift -> Fighting Pits, you can be researching 24 hours a day from the start. You'll want to build two or three workshops so you can rotate the shifts, but once you do it really snowballs.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I always feel extremely limited on steel. When it comes to coal and wood you can always just throw more bodies at the resource and expand production. Steel always is bottlenecked by the two steelworks.

Yep, I always rush those upgrades asap.