Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I know a lot of guys have been able to just plug and play with OBS powerstrokes. The van should still have an ODB II connector under the dash.

Also, if your steel is that haggard, the plywood is probably pretty bad too. At this point you might have load bearing carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

What's wrong with getting an LS? On par with the Germans in terms of luxury and comfort, but without poo poo breaking all the time. I'd take it over a Jeep every day. I think comfort is very underrated. Nothing beats getting out of a car after hours of driving without feeling tired. Meanwhile in my little Alfa, I get "tired" after driving for 40min on the motorway. In a newer V70 I could drive for 8 hours (with a quick bathroom stop) straight, and arrive without feeling more tired than if I'd flown there.
I kinda want to get a 3GS 450H for longer distance driving.

VVV: Yeah, true I kinda omitted to think about the miles. Funnily enough (I had to check), there isn't a single LS of around that year, with similar miles that you can get for less than $20-25k in Sweden.

Having just picked up an 18 year old GS300 purely to pilfer the engine I'm having second thoughts. The car is just incredibly comfortable to waft about in compared to my other car... £350 for a luxurious ride with electronic everything. Madness. It needs £80 of upper control arms and some tyres and it'll fly through the MOT.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Powershift posted:

The good ol' "if you can't see it, we ain't paintin it" method of body construction.

If you have a ODB II dongle, you can get a program called forscan(free for pc version) that lets you do buzz tests and cylinder contribution tests to give you a good idea of injector/engine health.

FORScan Lite application was developed specially for a computer diagnostic of Ford, Mazda, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.

Is there a version of this for a Dodge Durango?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Xy Hapu posted:

Call me spoiled but pre-OBDII were some dark, dark days, lit intermittently only by the morse code of a hundred million haunted check engine lights.

Some powerful poetry right here.

:allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey I'm ultra-excited so Ima crosspost till my eyes bleed

Granted I won't have it in my possession for a couple months at least but hey! I finally got an AZ-1 and for much, much less than I should have.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Holy gently caress thats awesome!

I picked up my new car today:

It is a 2018 i30n in Clean Slate. Loving it so far - only 110km on the clock.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Great car, and that's the best colour for it! Congrats!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

KakerMix posted:

Granted I won't have it in my possession for a couple months at least but hey! I finally got an AZ-1 and for much, much less than I should have.

Holy cow, that's cool, congratulations! I'm actually curious to know what the odds of a goonsize person fitting in one of those is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Pretty cool. TE37's are a nice add on, not cheap wheels. It looks like there's rust on the underside on the frame rails, but hard to tell from the always terribly grainy pics from across the pond. :v:

Also is there trim missing from the rear bumper? I realize that's an aftermarket muffler but you can still see way more of it than I would imagine is normal.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 24, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Your greatest acquisition yet. Read up on this thing for an hour after seeing the first pics of yours. Perfectly rad auto, grats.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

Pretty cool. TE37's are a nice add on, not cheap wheels. It looks like there's rust on the underside on the frame rails, but hard to tell from the always terribly grainy pics from across the pond. :v:

Also is there trim missing from the rear bumper? I realize that's an aftermarket muffler but you can still see way more of it than I would imagine is normal.

There is a plate that has a punched-through 'AUTOZAM' that's supposed to go down on the rear that hides the exhaust. Now it looks like it says 'AZ-1' on the muffler itself.

It does look like rust on the frame rails and the inspector mentioned some on the underside as well. I expected this but mechanically it's in great shape. I expect terrible things in the interior style-wise. For goon-size I'm the wrong person to test that as I am a svelte guy that tops out at 5'10" and I expect to fit perfectly.

I got this for a hair over 5000 bucks, even with whatever problems it might have it'll be worth it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, that is awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So cool.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can you share how much you paid at auction for the AZ-1 and maybe how much it'll be once you have it shipped and paperwork taken care of?

I want one so bad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

For goon-size I'm the wrong person to test that as I am a svelte guy that tops out at 5'10" and I expect to fit perfectly.

I didn't watch the RCR guy review it and I don't think he's huge, but he supposedly had to drive barefoot because it's that tiny in the pedal area.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Can you share how much you paid at auction for the AZ-1 and maybe how much it'll be once you have it shipped and paperwork taken care of?

I want one so bad.

$5120 at auction. I generally put another 3k on top of whatever I buy to have it in my driveway, titled and tagged. Marine insurance and transport is put into that $3k buffer but this time since the AZ-1 is so tiny it's only going to cost me $586 dollars to ship the whole thing from Japan (usually Tokyo) to Jacksonville, Florida. Normally it is at least $800 for a kei van. It's going to need some work also, but that's par for the course in doing this. I assume it will need new tires also.

Larrymer posted:

I didn't watch the RCR guy review it and I don't think he's huge, but he supposedly had to drive barefoot because it's that tiny in the pedal area.

We'll see once it gets here in 2~ months and I'll do a full report. I expect great things though.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

2006 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4, 4.7L V8. Just replaced the tires today so that wheel gap in the second pic is no longer there with 270's on.

I bought this truck for $1000 from my friend who got a new truck, and left this sitting with a broken fuel pump in his driveway for 6 months. For the price of a new fuel pump, I got this back on the road and it's been surprisingly reliable.
The big joke? 230,000k miles! My friend had a new transmission installed at 175k. He was religious about oil changes, staying up with fluids and maintenance, and I guess it paid off. Every single day I'm amazed that this thing has no check engine light, no smoke, and no leaks.
I took out the back row seats, and now it's got more space than I could ever use. The thing is huge, and very comfortable inside. I trip out everyday I'm driving a truck with 230k that has no performance issues, and gets the job done with that mileage. I'm hoping with regular maintenance I could get it to 300k, who knows!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvjzhkhWOE

I look forward to explaining to cops that it came from the factory sounding like that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

tobu posted:

I look forward to explaining to cops that it came from the factory sounding like that.

Woah that crackle and pop as it drives away sounds pretty great.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

tobu posted:

It makes me super sad we won't be getting that car in the states. Apparently there's a Veloster upgrade package in the works using the same engine/exhaust but ugh, Veloster.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
if your lexus has a 2j you are doing the right thing

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

tobu posted:

I wish all my cars sounded like that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

tobu posted:

Boy it sounds so awesome on car shows but somehow seeing it in the context of a quiet residential neighborhood it seems less awesome. Needs one of those Ford Mustang "good neighbor mode" buttons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dennis McClaren posted:

2006 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4, 4.7L V8. Just replaced the tires today so that wheel gap in the second pic is no longer there with 270's on.

I bought this truck for $1000 from my friend who got a new truck, and left this sitting with a broken fuel pump in his driveway for 6 months. For the price of a new fuel pump, I got this back on the road and it's been surprisingly reliable.
The big joke? 230,000k miles! My friend had a new transmission installed at 175k. He was religious about oil changes, staying up with fluids and maintenance, and I guess it paid off. Every single day I'm amazed that this thing has no check engine light, no smoke, and no leaks.
I took out the back row seats, and now it's got more space than I could ever use. The thing is huge, and very comfortable inside. I trip out everyday I'm driving a truck with 230k that has no performance issues, and gets the job done with that mileage. I'm hoping with regular maintenance I could get it to 300k, who knows!

Stories like this are extremely my poo poo. Good find!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dennis McClaren posted:

Even more amazing, it's a *Chrysler product* with 230K miles that has no issues.

edit: on a tangentially-related note, my friend who bought and then recently blew up my Cherokee has just come into possession of a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. I assume he bought it. Will know more when I talk to him this weekend. I look forward to J-body misery.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Even more amazing, it's a *Chrysler product* with 230K miles that has no issues.

edit: on a tangentially-related note, my friend who bought and then recently blew up my Cherokee has just come into possession of a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. I assume he bought it. Will know more when I talk to him this weekend. I look forward to J-body misery.

Hey now, My SRT has 180k and still technically running. The seats are thrashed but it starts and goes vroompssssh though. :v:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

It makes me super sad we won't be getting that car in the states. Apparently there's a Veloster upgrade package in the works using the same engine/exhaust but ugh, Veloster.

The Veloster just seems a little too impractical to be a useful hot hatch but the new N version steals its tail lights from a Lambo but has them in reverse. The more I look at my i30 it is clear that Hyundai doesn't care who it steals ideas from as long as its a good idea.

davebo posted:

Boy it sounds so awesome on car shows but somehow seeing it in the context of a quiet residential neighborhood it seems less awesome. Needs one of those Ford Mustang "good neighbor mode" buttons.

It has a good neighbour mode but this is it in N mode which is full noise, dampers, throttle and steering set to maximum attack. That's also a service road at the university I work at which is why we didn't really car about the neighbours... The only people in those buildings at this time of day would be the PHD students who have no place else to go.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

that's... an awesome hyundai in that colour. Sounds amazing, too. Beats out the H200 as second coolest Hyundai (i'm a sucker for the 1st pony)

Does it also play exhaust sounds over an in-car speaker? Drove both VW GTIs this afternoon which do and it felt so dorky when I switched driving mode to eco and the engine noise inside was actually really soft all along. The search continues, though both were awesome cars in their own right

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can unplug the GTI soundaktor in 15 seconds

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

that's... an awesome hyundai in that colour. Sounds amazing, too. Beats out the H200 as second coolest Hyundai (i'm a sucker for the 1st pony)

Does it also play exhaust sounds over an in-car speaker? Drove both VW GTIs this afternoon which do and it felt so dorky when I switched driving mode to eco and the engine noise inside was actually really soft all along. The search continues, though both were awesome cars in their own right

Not via the speakers in-car but engine noise is 'enhanced' (faked) by some kind of magic drum under the bonnet/dash. It is also apparently pretty easy to disable.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BlackMK4 posted:

soundaktor

I will never not laugh at this.

I'm 12.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's like a strap-on for car noise.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Here's my car (2014 Focus ST), and one of my two kayaks. I've had it since August, it replaced an exploded 2005 Prius that I hated (but for $500 I couldn't say no - family special) that in 2016 replaced a 1993 Corolla that I had been driving since I was 16 (I'm 31 now). And while I miss having a beater (the Corolla was a 5-speed, held together with rust and optimism, and was actually fun sometimes), this is wayyyy more fun. This was taken after I came in from a day of kayak fishing. Not pictured: my mild sunburn.

Bone stock except for the roof rack. I'll get the windows tinted eventually, I'm not planning on doing anything else to it other than drive it every day and love it forever. Maybe in a couple years I'll put some mods on it, but for now it makes me smile every time I get in.

brae
Feb 2, 2006
This is a new-to-me 991.2 Carrera 4S. Sorry for the dirty car (and crappy garage background) but I've been having a blast driving it around and it seems like a waste to wash it considering how much I plan to use it. Never owned a Porsche but wanted a 911 for like 25 years, posters on my bedroom walls and all that. So my inner kid's pretty happy.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

New:

New and old:

2017 BMW 330d touring. I couldn't conceive of getting anything different after how much I enjoyed the 2011 model it is sat next to.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brae posted:

This is a new-to-me 991.2 Carrera 4S. Sorry for the dirty car (and crappy garage background) but I've been having a blast driving it around and it seems like a waste to wash it considering how much I plan to use it. Never owned a Porsche but wanted a 911 for like 25 years, posters on my bedroom walls and all that. So my inner kid's pretty happy.

There are two types of AI Goons. Those that want a Porsche, and those that want another Porsche.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Well goddamnit I got salesman'd. Saw promos for '18 Ram trucks because the '19s came out and are 'all new'. Went there with my Silverado and said "Here's my silverado. This is my payment. I owe this much. I like my truck. Change my mind". Tested an '18, then for shits and giggles, tested a '19. God damnit they can get me in the '19 with the numbers I'd mentioned. Every little thing about it is better than the '18, and things that matter to me are WAY better than the silverado. Ride is way smoother, turning radius is way better, and having been a decade+ since I've touched a hemi, I forgot how intoxicating the power and sound are. As for looks.. well.. Rams have been ugly as hell since the 90s, but this is the least ugly one they've made since then.

Bonus points : Locally all the dealers are owned and managed by one family, which has for the most part bred great contempt for the organization. I've bought from them out of necessity and convenience, but had a real shitter of a time without fail every single time. BUT : the local Mopar lot is the exception, and I'm stoked to give business to someone else. The dude with his name on the building came out to gladhand me and we bullshitted for a few minutes , and he went on continuing his actual work around the dealership. Felt nice to get actual personal attention from a lot that's growing and doing well snatching business from the local conglomerate.

edit : vvvv nah just the regular 5.7 hemi. no etorque.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 29, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You get the etorque?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Those wheels are so much nicer than the ones they put on the newer models that look like cheap aftermarket crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

opengl128 posted:

Those wheels are so much nicer than the ones they put on the newer models that look like cheap aftermarket crap.

:agreed: