Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I cant mount enough flamers on my firestarter to cause an instant shutdown. :(

Obviously you need more firestarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
oh god it forces you to take an NPC mech on a mission and it isn't allowed to die

I SOLVED IT! HOP INTO ONE OF MY OPTIMIZED BUILDS WTF ARE YOU DOING IN A KINTARO???

not taking either bullwark or tactics 2 in a medium :smithicide:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the problem with all the Battletech Games where you run into Lights v Assaults issues is simply the fact you have 4 slots total. If the choice was bringing in a lance of say Jenner's vs a single Atlas I could see the logic of going with the four light mechs.

In general it is the hard cap of drop slots and not tonnage which makes it kinda pointless to bring lights along once you get bigger stompy bots.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I get real, properly maintained mechs against me? I try to find hardest missions I can, in one mission I got three Thunderbolts against me but they were all shoddy and I accidentally cored them all while trying to capture one for myself...

pokie posted:

Is it just be or does the SS version of Thunderbolt suck? That's the one that's basically energy only.

edit: here's also the laser build I did with Thunderbolt. It's fun to run straight at guys. What a difference 5 tons makes compared to a Dragon (I never even used the one I got):

I could add 2 more lasers but I always slag my mechs at some point because all of the heat, better to be conservative.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 29, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Missions where you fight against actual big factions like the Capellans will be the ones with fully maintained mechs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I lug my rear end all the way to Taurian space and they wont give me any missions because they hate me! jerks, I'll do whatever you want, just pay me!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Does armor affect stab dmg at all or can you clown fiesta properly maintained mechs just as easily?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that pause tweak seems to work really well, everythings just the right combination of zippy and momentous.

that said I have 1,237 Cbills left, the bill comes due tomorrow and i'm going up against a hunchie, a griffin, two commandos and six armoured up tanks, my jenner only has two lasers because I forgot to refit it properly and my crappy lurmboat panther just ran out of missiles so it's possible I might be seeing the game again from the beginning. the extra speed will be appreciated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you at a place with a store and have stuff/mechs you can sell off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god, I thought gear only came as + or ++.

Turns out there's +++ too. Which I put on a mech which promptly got its arms blown off. RIP LLas+++

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Have the devs said anything about fixing being able to put on extra armor onto torsos or is it by design?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kater posted:

Does armor affect stab dmg at all or can you clown fiesta properly maintained mechs just as easily?

Only defense against stability damage is having high Piloting skill and bracing as needed to not fall over.

Basically, dare I say it, it makes ACs actually relevant for once

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vargs posted:

Most video games balance their nimble, squishy options by making them deal a poo poo ton of damage. Here, they do far less than the invincible supertanks. Congrats, you just spent 2-3 full turns setting up a risky and complicated flank. Your reward is lightly tickling the enemy to no effect. Doesn't make any sense with the 4 mech limit.

#punchtankseveryday

Vehicles take double damage from melee.

(also i made it without losing anyone, phew)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tanks are some unfun bullshit. Too much armor / too much damage potential; either one or the other has to go.

I shouldn't have to focus fire on one tank for 2+ turns to kill it.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 29, 2018

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AtillatheBum posted:

Have the devs said anything about fixing being able to put on extra armor onto torsos or is it by design?

Extra armor? How do you do that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Tanks are some unfun bullshit. Too much armor / too much damage potential; either one or the other has to go.

Tanks are op. low profile, immune to heat damage, no knockdown damage. please take my legs and give me treads.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

canepazzo posted:

Tanks are fine, with the exception of the Striker. That dinky little fucker has no business taking the hits it takes while moving as fast as it does and looking like that :argh:

I actually really like that Demolishers and Schreks are properly terrifying.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Tanks are fine, with the exception of the Striker. That dinky little fucker has no business taking the hits it takes while moving as fast as it does and looking like that :argh:

I actually really like that Demolishers and Schreks are properly terrifying.

Manticore. 2 turns of 4x ml and 1x AC5, barely half armor off. All the while he's PPCing my mechs to its heart contents, as well as the rest of the vehicles and lance.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I think turrets and vehicles should have to follow the same or similar heat rules as mechs, it's bad enough that they can fire 100 LRMs at you but when they can also sensor lock and shoot you from half the map away with no way to defend yourself I just quit the mission/game. And, of course, one of the story missions relies not only on that garbage mechanic but two others: chasing down an APC that moves much faster then any mech ever could, and standing in a small circle for five turns while your mechs get focus-fired into oblivion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Manticore. 2 turns of 4x ml and 1x AC5, barely half armor off. All the while he's PPCing my mechs to its heart contents, as well as the rest of the vehicles and lance.

Well, it is a 60 ton tank. Vehicle or not, you're not just gonna blow that up with some potshots.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think they do follow the same heat rules? I know I've seen a Laser Carrier that had to just gently caress off and fire like two shots on a desert map.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Whats a good spec for the enforcer? Im thinking of just sticking an autocannon 20 on it and using it for breach shots.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't all vehicles have like... 7 internal hitpoints?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

Whats a good spec for the enforcer? Im thinking of just sticking an autocannon 20 on it and using it for breach shots.

Here's what I use:

Maybe I should try just an AC20... and see if it fits.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Don't all vehicles have like... 7 internal hitpoints?

Yeah, as soon as their armor is breached, vehicles live on borrowed time. Makes them extremely vulnerable to mech melee, too. Countless times walking up and stomping on tanks had the same effect as two mechs spending their turns unloading all their weapons on them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

canepazzo posted:

Are you hitting the same side, and also not the front? Because Tanks have directional armor sections just like Mechs.

But also the Manticore is pretty heavy as I remember so yeah, you're likely gonna need to commit more firepower to it. Or just step on it, since that tends to insta-kill any tanks 60 tons or lighter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Where was that list of all the different pilot titles again? Vanguard, lancer, etc?

this game has an unusual issue in that it's hard as gently caress to google anything specific to this game because there have been so many other battletech games / books / franchises

edit nvm found it:

thanks xarbala

I feel like Lancer, Vanguard, Striker, Recon would be a very good mix. That's guts 1, guns 2, (gun brawler) / guts 1, tactics 2 (initiative brawler) / Gun 1, tactics 2 (long range fire support / lrmboat) / pilot 2, tactics 1 (spotter).
I am really liking my Flanker. Able to split attacks into rears nicely and then duck out, its working alright on my Griffin so far. The Vanguard has been somewhat disappointing, but I think I don't really have a good mech to take advantage of it yet. My LRM-boat centurion is currently being piloted by my Lancer and its working our really nicely, and my 4th pilot is whoever isn't in sickbay at any given moment.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
So, mechs to watch out for:

1: Centurion. Great missle boat
2: Jaegermech missle variant: Even better missle boat.
3: I I like Shadow Hawk Hs. Fairly fast, decent armor, can pack a moderate punch (I have an AC5 and 2x6Srms).

Also, kind of learn the titles, they are your only information towards how much health the enemy may have.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's... odd. I took a 4 star mission to see what I'd be up against.

It turned out to be a Demolisher, a cicada, a vindicator and a quickdraw. Thats it. And I was dropped off on a mountaintop so I spent the whole time shooting holes in them with missiles while they crawled around the mountain trying to climb up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Libluini posted:

Yeah, as soon as their armor is breached, vehicles live on borrowed time. Makes them extremely vulnerable to mech melee, too. Countless times walking up and stomping on tanks had the same effect as two mechs spending their turns unloading all their weapons on them.

Yep. Stamp on them and they die real fast.

Goddammit I just failed Panzyr after running my jenner up and taking four laser shots at 85% on the last round; three of them hit.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ihmemies posted:

edit: here's also the laser build I did with Thunderbolt. It's fun to run straight at guys. What a difference 5 tons makes compared to a Dragon (I never even used the one I got):

I could add 2 more lasers but I always slag my mechs at some point because all of the heat, better to be conservative.

Given that it's a slow mech, consider putting in an LLas or LRM10-15 somewhere, as you'll be spending at least a few turns out of range of stuff. The first time I got an Orion, I gave it an AC/20, a bunch of SRMs, and some MLasers. Its first mission was against a couple of mediums and heavies (so a reasonably close match) on a watery battlefield. It took maybe four turns to get in range from first contact, during which time it got completely shot to poo poo while doing nothing back.

My Orions have AC/10s now.

Also, Thunderbolts are 5 tons heavier than Dragons, but have ten more available tons. This is due to the Dragon having a bigger engine - known in TT, but the game doesn't really make that clear in any way. The 'stat bars' in the mechbay annoy me, and should be replaced with numbers - 'Heat' should tell me how much I'm sinking, how much all my weapons generate, and how much a full-distance jump with current JJs would generate; 'Mobility' should tell me movement distance and jump distance in hard figures; 'Firepower' should give me a raw damage figure; etc.

Also, this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but is XCOM 2 any good? I know a lot of us are probably here because of that series, and I've played loads of XCOM, but I bought 2 ages ago and never played it, and I don't remember if there be was a reason.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AtillatheBum posted:

It's almost certainly by design since it's different from how it was in the skirmish beta (so I've been told, I wasn't a backer)

Ihmemies posted:

In the tabletop game you have to choose between front and rear armour on the torso sections, in HBS Battletech you don't so you can effectively use what was your full armour allocation on the front while still having space for some rear armour - this extra rear armour is in excess of the total armour that you would have been able to fit in TT.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Ihmemies posted:

The front and rear of torso sections are supposed to split the armor total you see as the frontal max between them. So if a mech has 200 frontal armor max then you would never actually have 200 on the front unless you also had 0 back armor. As it is right now you can add armor to the front until you hit the cap and then also add as much as you want to the back(up to its cap).

This is why you never see any stock mechs with completely filled armor even if Yang describes them as well armored or whatever.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Just figured out that some equipment, like Gyro ++ or reinforced cockpits, only occupies slots but no tonnage.

Generally speaking these are straight upgrades which cost nothing in terms of opportunity costs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For some reason my TDR-5SS Thunderbolt is plenty fast. I just jump into the enemies and try to kill them. I haven't had any speed problems with it, quite the opposite. This time I finally got one of those instant reinforcement missions, it was fun! Until my thunderbolt pilot got sniped in the head and knocked down and lost the left torso with all the guns. Welp I managed to retreat with it and pilot survived with 40 days of hospital The same rear end in a top hat sniped my Jagemech to the head too with PPC, he was a good pilot!

I have already a sniper enforcer, ac10/5 jagemech and a LRM20/15/5 centurion, so I don't need any more snipers. Rather I'd like a dual ac10 mech with armor so I could get in closer with another mech too.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I cant mount enough flamers on my firestarter to cause an instant shutdown. :(

While mucking about in skirmish mode I discovered that you can mount 6 flamers onto a Banshee, a 95-ton mech. Naturally I put 4 of them into a lance and it worked surprisingly well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My second flamer complaint is that I cant carry reserve flamer fuel. :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

"Man I'm getting only crap wolverines, griffins and shadow hawks even from 5 salvage missions, and I'm short on money, better do just ONE money mission for a change."

:negative:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I just had a similar situation where I had 2 priority slots and managed to pilot kill a Jagermech-A and core a Hunchback-G. Decided to take the one Hunchback piece cause I was already 2/3 and one of the Jagermech pieces and the RNG gods smiled upon me and gifted me the other two Jagermech pieces in the random slots. :feelsgood: Gonna turn this thing into a sweet LRM boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh god, I thought gear only came as + or ++.

Turns out there's +++ too. Which I put on a mech which promptly got its arms blown off. RIP LLas+++

Wait till you see AC/20+++. 120 damage, 60 stability damage :getin: