Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

bmw took full advantage of the inherent reliability of a straight 6 to introduce failure points everywhere else in the engine bay

And the driver's seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

"did that guy just drop an intake manifold gasket?"

Okay, drat. This was good.

iwentdoodie posted:

Uhhh, the small block?

The 3800 shows up three times on the Ward's 10 best engines list, the small-block only shows up once on the "of the century" list :v: :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if we're gonna go by Ward's, we gotta consider ACVW's as an option just for the absurd number of years their engine was in production. It's definitely time tested.

Though in my mind they're in a weird spot for post-apocalypse use. They're easy to maintain, but you have to do it every 3000 miles or they turn into pieces of poo poo. They can handle a lot of abuse but if the wrong bit breaks and you don't catch it immediately, the engine is gonna grenade itself. Plus there's the issue of horsepower, it's got none.

Can an engine be considered reliable if you're obligated to constantly check on it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

xzzy posted:

Though in my mind they're in a weird spot for post-apocalypse use. They're easy to maintain, but you have to do it every 3000 miles or they turn into pieces of poo poo. They can handle a lot of abuse but if the wrong bit breaks and you don't catch it immediately, the engine is gonna grenade itself. Plus there's the issue of horsepower, it's got none.

Can an engine be considered reliable if you're obligated to constantly check on it?

It's built-in job security if you're bringing the VW to your farming community.
That scenario is actually what prompted me to buy https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101
It'd be one of the easier cars to hack back to life at a junkyard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have both that (spiral bound, stays open better when you're wrenching!) and a haynes manual for 60's era cars. I haven't owned a beetle in like 10 years now but some day I will need those books again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay, drat. This was good.

The 3800 shows up three times on the Ward's 10 best engines list, the small-block only shows up once on the "of the century" list :v: :colbert:

5 times on that list since the introduction of the LS1 in 1998. :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Larrymer posted:

5 times on that list since the introduction of the LS1 in 1997. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://i.imgur.com/1j8mOVb.mp4

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/l16jqhs.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please watch this till the end holy moly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Holy poo poo

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I was kind of laughing to myself thinking that it was carrying powdered peanut butter, but now I'm really confident that it actually is

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've had a 95 prizm, a 99 corolla, a 99 prizm, and a 2001 prizm, esstentially all the same car, and all of them were bafflingly reliable. Once i drained the oil from one and had less than half a quart left. Never had an issue with any of them and did barely any maintenance.

Surprisingly fun to drive with a 5 speed!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That makes me feel so sorry for your life

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
You ain’t kidding about those late 90s Prizms/Corollas, they were bland to look at but drat did they last forever. I miss cars like that, nowadays it seems like some cars break if you so much as look at them wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stare:

That is loving awesome!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Voltage posted:

I've had a 95 prizm, a 99 corolla, a 99 prizm, and a 2001 prizm, esstentially all the same car, and all of them were bafflingly reliable. Once i drained the oil from one and had less than half a quart left. Never had an issue with any of them and did barely any maintenance.

Surprisingly fun to drive with a 5 speed!

I had a 88 corolla I bought three different times and never owned it in the winter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Awesome AI car poo poo is that the driver walked, treated for minor injuries.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Shedding the engine to protect the driver is standard MR supercar behavior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Exquisite 50/50 balance.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

That makes me feel so sorry for your life

The true measure of quality of life is how shiny your car is while it sits in your driveway broken.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love that

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If only it was on a VW.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Lmao

Double lmao it's on a Chrysler

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

The Awesome AI car poo poo is that the driver walked, treated for minor injuries.

:eng101: When you cut them in half, each piece regrows the missing parts.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

engine swap time

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Now I want cake.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Logged out, was scrolling down facebook feed, saw this, had to log in again to post:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

OK, who's got a 30"-over springer front end and some ape hangers?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

OK, who's got a 30"-over springer front end and some ape hangers?

:getin:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Memento posted:

Could someone do the needful and scour 4chan for the post of the guy who buys this to rebuild a salvage Lambo for :10bux:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

I was kind of laughing to myself thinking that it was carrying powdered peanut butter, but now I'm really confident that it actually is

I was thinking brown sugar, or maybe a streusel topping

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Memento posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man, it's a shop (original said 25), but I still love it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I want to hate it but.. something compels me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really like the detail on the stigmata.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New meaning to 'Jesus take the wheel'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The fast and the righteous.