Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
It is completely loving insane that I cannot take a 'mech into the trial mode without finalizing the loadout and buying the loving thing.

What the hell is the point of a trial mode if I can't trial stuff to see if I like it?

At least rename it to "see if you regret your purchase mode" or something.

:pgi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
The trial mechs at least have half-decent loadouts now.

Back in the day they just used to be default loadouts for regular mechs. Total poo poo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Umm trial mechs are free? You just pick one and que up.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Umm trial mechs are free? You just pick one and que up.

I mean the mode where you stomp around alone on an empty map, with brainless mechs standing around to test your weapons on.

I want to configure a mech in the mechbay then take it into that mode before buying it. That way, I could answer questions like "are there enough heat sinks in this thing?"

You can't do that. You have to purchase the mech before testing it, which means if you didn't configure it quite right you're out some spacebucks.

That's mega user unfriendly. It also makes me less likely to spend real money because I am less likely to, say, trial a loadout, realize I love the feel of it, and buy it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I mean the mode where you stomp around alone on an empty map, with brainless mechs standing around to test your weapons on.

lol good effort, but for at me at least you gave away the game here.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 29, 2018

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Old player coming back to the game, could I get an invite to WoL to do some co operative mech stomping too?

Ingamename : Onepigeon

Logged in to play last week and the mechs in my bay are:

HBK-4SP
JR7-K
CN9-AH
UZL-3PC (not sure where this came from, it seems stock)
And a really poorly equipped VTR-9S

My setups feel horribly out of the loop :shrug:

One Pigeon fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 29, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

The last code went to Swoletariat for being part of the murderlance. Congratulations! No code for Polka who had lrms on his mech! Shamefur dispray.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my LRM Sun Spider.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sell that Uziel asap, it's hilariously bad and you'll be glad you had the extra 3m cbills.

I ran with LRMs on my shiny new Mad Dog for a little bit but opted for 2xATM12s because I love that high risk playstyle. Anything in the sweet spot gets 72 damage to the face.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 29, 2018

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Sell that Uziel asap, it's hilariously bad and you'll be glad you had the extra 3m cbills.

OK, thanks. When I've been running into them in my Hunchback they have seemed particularly bad.

I could do with the C Bills for a heavy but I'm not sure what to get. Kinda feeling someone with some ballistics as none of my current mechs have any and I want to try something different. Any advice? I like a good brawler

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Orion IIC is a good brawler. Build from the OP: ON1-IIC-A

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Ah great. Somehow I missed that one and I've never used an LBX so I'll give it shot.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Are uziels bad then? The jjs on mine seem useless

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're mediocre. A couple of builds—HPPCs or MPLs—push them up to decent'ish, but anything they can do is done better by some other mech.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Worst robot in the game, really.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I have 'fun' playing mine as a worse, IS version of the Shadowcat.

2x LPL max JJ Hippity Hoppity. Yes, I will probably end up in the JJ tree on this one.

No, you probably shouldn't do this.

It's really bad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nah, there's plenty worse. Even among mediums, stuff like the Blackjack and Trebuchet are way worse.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
That loyalty blackjack from sometime-ago is a real piece of poo poo.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Okay so, uh. The triple nipple Victor 9a1 is actually absurdly good. Can handily beat an annihilator 1v1 in solaris as long as you can hit the CT.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Disclaimer: I am not advocating the use/purchase of bad mechs, only showing that there can be redemption for those who make poor purchasing decisions.

This AWS-8V is the most fun I've had with this mech since I picked it up for MC during (shortly after?) the beta.

:awesomelon:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Are uziels bad then? The jjs on mine seem useless

I like the free one for Solaris at least. I've killed several people running a copy of BRADTOTHEBONE's Vindicator build so far. I've never seen one do great in quick play, though.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Is there another voice comm server that you guys are using? Never seem to see a bunch of you on, although I see you dropping in game?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BurtLington posted:

Is there another voice comm server that you guys are using? Never seem to see a bunch of you on, although I see you dropping in game?

We're on discord, it's just that a lot of people solo drop for some reason.

Edit: There is a sale on Hero mechs right now, you can see the list at the bottom of this page: https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/04/2048-solaris-deals-mc
Good time to pick up a K9 for a cheap 1462 MC if you don't already have it.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 29, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I solo drop a lot when my GF is sleeping.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Just stopping in to say the HBR-PRIME build in the OP is great. It took me a while to enjoy it... but it is strong.

Any recommendations for the Ultraviolet? Nostalgia bait is right. Also it is bright fuckkin purple. :krad:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You can run Gauss Vomit or the standard 2xUAC10/3xUAC5, but those fit on any DW. The only reason to own the Ultra Violet is to unlock the 8xUAC2 build.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Just stopping in to say the HBR-PRIME build in the OP is great. It took me a while to enjoy it... but it is strong.

Any recommendations for the Ultraviolet? Nostalgia bait is right. Also it is bright fuckkin purple. :krad:

Double Coolshots are a good idea on the HBR-Prime. If you're sick of overheating you can swap the HLLs for ERLLs, you'll lose a bit of damage but they generate less heat and have much greater range.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I don't know if an Atlas running dual rotary AC-5s is good or part of the meta or whatever, but I do know it's fun as hell.

Everyone I engage with tries to back out of a slugfest. Turns out getting nonstop hammered in the face with AC5 rounds sucks.

Any suggestions for what else to put on this thing? I have ECM, AMS, and one large laser (lol) right now.

And no, my goal isn't to minmax the perfect mech. I'm just focusing on enjoying each drop and getting the hang of gameplay again after years away.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

You can run Gauss Vomit or the standard 2xUAC10/3xUAC5, but those fit on any DW. The only reason to own the Ultra Violet is to unlock the 8xUAC2 build.

That's how I set it up. I tried some UAC 20s, but holy moly the range is low.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
If you pick up the UV go 8 x lbx2 with Firecontrol. Paint it red, go full out dakka you gitz!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Just want to publicly apologize for how bad I am at this. And also technology in general. I am sorry.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I picked this up a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. Currently playing as Donald Trump the president and would like to join the group.

I made the mistake of customizing my stock uziel, but didn't go too far off the deep end. I'm saving up for the hellbringer in the op.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The roughneck build in the OP is a similar laserboat at half the cost, but it doesn't get ECM and is a filthy IS Mech which means shorter range on the lasers.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I was out of town so I think my WoL invite expired. Can i get a re-invite as GreyPowerVan?

Also, the last time I played, the Stormcrow was king of poo poo heap, along with the Timberwolf. It's the only mech I have fully skilled besides my Pirate's Bane, so how does this build look (what I had on it from previously)

SCR-PRIME

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Too many heatsinks, not enough lasers. I am a crazy person who loves to overheat. SCR-PRIME

I usually go for 30% as my minimum amount of cooling and let the coolshots+cool run skill nodes do the rest.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Skippy McPants posted:

Nah, there's plenty worse. Even among mediums, stuff like the Blackjack and Trebuchet are way worse.

Herb Dington posted:

Blackjacks are unironically extremely powerful 45 tonners that can mount more guns and keep them firing than most of their counterparts. They used to also be ton-for-ton the best mech in the game when they were severely overquirked, but now they're just an unremarkable good mech.

The loyalty blackjack is really good with an MRM40 and some SRM2s. You just strip off everyone's armor with the MRMs and then roll in and shoot them to death with the 2s.

The BJ1X is still one of the best laser vomit mediums in the game, and the BJ3 is one of the best PPC boats on the IS side.

Trebuchets are still really lovely though, same with kintaros. They have awful hitboxes and nothing to make up for them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is there ever a reason to use say, 3xSRM2s over one SRM6 besides the tighter spread?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Commoners posted:

The loyalty blackjack is really good with an MRM40 and some SRM2s.

To the MECHLAB!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I have C-Bills burning a hole in my robo pocket and a free mech bay. What should I buy?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herb Dington posted:

Loyalty wolverine is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Is there ever a reason to use say, 3xSRM2s over one SRM6 besides the tighter spread?

It's for the tighter spread while not running artemis. The SRMs are your pinpoint damage on it, while the MRM is for whittling armor away until you get something open. Jumpjets are extremely important for it so that you can peek at things over ridges and vomit the MRM on them along with the SRMs if they're close enough for it.

iirc I tried it with all SRMs and the problem is that it's a 45 tonner that isn't too agile that I was trying to brawl with. By abandoning that and going for MRMs it's now able to succeed in its fire support role before closing in to dump SRMs.

Wolverines in general are in a sad place. They don't have enough tonnage to really do anything with their atrocious hardpoints. The MASC one is fun to play, but either has a huge engine and no guns or guns but may as well not have MASC.