Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

RobertKerans posted:

My manager just floated including a touch typing/ speed test as part of the next employee review, as it's such an obvious productivity enhancer. He's very enamoured with things that have numbers he can use to rank people. Also, seemingly in all seriousness, that led to him suggesting that the aim would be keyboards with blank keys as some kind of visual proof of touch typing mastery.

Let us know first if he starts counting LOC as a measure of performance. Or velocity, or worse, velocity increases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Keetron posted:

Or velocity, or worse, velocity increases.

I prefer to base my reports' performance reviews on their changes in acceleration (the third derivative of velocity.)

The coders that aren't constantly increasing the rate that they are increasing the rate that they are increasing the rate of getting stories done are "jounced out" of my team.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That game is... awesome! Well, I think it is. Is there a something similar for devs as to include all the brackets and poo poo?

edit: custom dictionaries from the steam workshop of course.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 28, 2018

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

RobertKerans posted:

My manager just floated including a touch typing/ speed test as part of the next employee review, as it's such an obvious productivity enhancer. He's very enamoured with things that have numbers he can use to rank people. Also, seemingly in all seriousness, that led to him suggesting that the aim would be keyboards with blank keys as some kind of visual proof of touch typing mastery.

I’m not convinced doing this is even legal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RobertKerans posted:

He's going to exempt himself though, right?

Edit:

leper khan posted:

I’m not convinced doing this is even legal.

It's stupid but I don't see an obvious way that it's discriminatory. Even if you're old, if you touch computers you've had 40 years to learn to touch type.

Double edit: I'm dumb

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 28, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Volmarias posted:

He's going to exempt himself though, right?

Edit:

It's stupid but I don't see an obvious way that it's discriminatory. Even if you're old, if you touch computers you've had 40 years to learn to touch type.

Be right back, filing my lawsuit to make people who can't touch type a protected class.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Lumpy posted:

Be right back, filing my lawsuit to make people who can't touch type a protected class.

The physically disabled are, as long as their disability doesn’t prevent them from performing job duties. I’ve known a one armed programmer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The mentally disabled as well. ADHD and autism both come with fine motor control issues and would prevent someone from typing very quickly.

There's also age-related decreases in typing speed, as well as things like arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Last company I worked for had a blind software engineer. He was really famous on campus because he also ran a company "blog" written from the perspective of his seeing eye dog.

Best story I ever heard about him was from one of the lawyer's admins. She told me she went over to the R&D building where he worked to get him to sign some patents (normal thing she did), walks into his office, notices the lights are off, and says "Why are you sitting in the dark?". She told me it took a few seconds for her to realize and she was incredibly embarrassed but he was really chill about it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shirec posted:

"Why are you sitting in the dark?". She told me it took a few seconds for her to realize and she was incredibly embarrassed but he was really chill about it.

That's the perfect opportunity to be melodramatic. "I'm always in the dark." :emo:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No programmer's productivity has ever depended on their ability to type rapidly. If it did, what they were doing was not programming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ok, all fair points on mental/physical issues. I definitely didn't think that through far enough.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

B-Nasty posted:

I prefer to base my reports' performance reviews on their changes in acceleration (the third derivative of velocity.)

The coders that aren't constantly increasing the rate that they are increasing the rate that they are increasing the rate of getting stories done are "jounced out" of my team.

I dunno sounds like you’re selecting for jerks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I sometimes get annoyed at my lovely typing when writing out a bunch of repetitive not-quite-boilerplate (SQL queries mostly - join this table on this thing then join on another blah blah). I'm way too lazy and unmotivated to work on improving though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Phobeste posted:

I dunno sounds like you’re selecting for jerks

:perfect:

return0
Apr 11, 2007
It is kind of annoying when you’re pairing with a slow typist though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

return0 posted:

The worst is people who don't know or use the same keyboard shortcuts as you, though. "YOU CAN DO TAB COMPLETION, STOP TYPING AND PRESS TAB"

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The worst is people who don't know or use the same keyboard shortcuts as you, though. "YOU CAN DO TAB COMPLETION, STOP TYPING AND PRESS TAB"

I've had this happen with a contractor, but the opposite, where the dude was flailing about trying every key combination he could imagine. Took him over 30s to write a line of code.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phobeste posted:

I dunno sounds like youre selecting for jerks

:golfclap:

This took me a minute.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

People typing out the same command over and over again in terminals instead of just pressing up :cripes:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

netcat posted:

People typing out the same command over and over again in terminals instead of just pressing up :cripes:

One of the platforms I have to interact with doesn't let you press up to cycle through previous commands (and it also doesn't support tab completion). It's the worst thing ever.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I watched a guy work in sublime text the other day with black belt level shortcutfu and I was ashamed. I have since been working on fixing that problem.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
For the users here of the IntelliJ-family of IDEs, I would like to call attention to the Productivity Guide that is in the Help menu. It shows functionality you have not used and how often you use certain functionality.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Virigoth posted:

I watched a guy work in sublime text the other day with black belt level shortcutfu and I was ashamed. I have since been working on fixing that problem.

A friend of mine has her setup so in tune with her coding practices that I swear she just flails on the keyboard and perfect, complete code pops out all by itself.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

crazysim posted:

For the users here of the IntelliJ-family of IDEs, I would like to call attention to the Productivity Guide that is in the Help menu. It shows functionality you have not used and how often you use certain functionality.

Nice. I am supposed to do a show and tell soon on IntelliJ since control enter generate equals / hashCode is black magic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Nice. I am supposed to do a show and tell soon on IntelliJ since control enter generate equals / hashCode is black magic.

Once they've recovered from having their minds blown from that, blow their minds again by showing them Lombok.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Keetron posted:

Let us know first if he starts counting LOC as a measure of performance. Or velocity, or worse, velocity increases.

Aha, well, the company is at a point where it needs to consolidate what it has in terms of tech, and we're busy setting up various data protection schemes & getting ISO certification etc. All future features have to now include a detailed change request, and what it means in practice is that everything's going all waterfall-ey. We ain't got a concept of velocity, we just pick the important stuff, write a plan, and execute it. It's not bad thing - I agree with how we're approaching things, we know the problem space intimately, so rewriting/refactoring what we have to detailed plans is a Good Thing from my PoV. But yeah, waterfall.

Re numbers, he kept trying to get me to put a number on my knowledge of various programming languages - "on a scale of 0-20, where are you with {Elixir|Elm|JS|Python|SQL|OCaml|etc}". I just kept telling him it was context sensitive beyond a certain [basic syntax] point and he kinda gave up badgering me.

I posted here a month or so ago when I was making GBS threads myself over my probation - the same manager was pushing the idea that probation wasn't a bad thing, and could well be extended indefinitely as that would just be indicating that the probationee had more to learn about company procedures. I mean, it was transparently obvious that he wanted to do that so that it reduced risk to him and allowed him to painlessly fire anyone with no notice, but that Fantastic Idea quietly disappeared [I assume someone higher up told him it was illegal]. Passed probation no problem, but whereas he's been very quick to record details of one-to-ones prior to that, I still haven't seen head nor hair of the details for the probation writeup, which is a little worrying.

The team is good, the work is good, but the manager probably shouldn't be a manager. :sever: isn't an option as I have a list of things I want out of the job [primarily architectural experience on distributed systems] that I can't get anywhere else locally, and I'm not in a position to move geographically at the minute.

He's floating introducing blockchain stuff as well w/r/t holding user data, I just...

This looks genuinely great, cheers

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hughlander posted:

For that same family: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9792-key-promoter-x

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

return0 posted:

Doesn't everyone get worse at typing as soon as you know you're being observed?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Does something like this exist for Visual Studio/ReSharper?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

vonnegutt posted:

A friend of mine has her setup so in tune with her coding practices that I swear she just flails on the keyboard and perfect, complete code pops out all by itself.

I knew a guy like this, but with Eclipse. His hands never left the keyboard, but managed to code quicky across multiple oprn files at once. I wasn't surprised to hear that he later was on the Eclipse board.

...And holy poo poo, I just googled him and learned he passed away.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lifg posted:

I knew a guy like this, but with Eclipse. His hands never left the keyboard, but managed to code quicky across multiple oprn files at once. I wasn't surprised to hear that he later was on the Eclipse board.

...And holy poo poo, I just googled him and learned he passed away.
I think we just learned a very important lesson. Using just a keyboard shortens your lifespan.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think we just learned a very important lesson. Using just a keyboard shortens your lifespan.

Only indirectly. It's more death by overexposure to that feeling you get when a person doesn't use a key combination.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Is there a COBOL #SLACK?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Nothing like waking up to that feeling you get when your new Head of Product says to prioritize bug fixes, optimizations and tooling improvement above any new feature development until further notice 😍

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
We've had a big session of that recently. Our live app has gone from 3.5k+ crashes in Feb to something like 100 this month, and a new release is going out today to sort the majority of those out as well.

Feels good man.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vulture Culture posted:

Nothing like waking up to that feeling you get when your new Head of Product says to prioritize bug fixes, optimizations and tooling improvement above any new feature development until further notice 😍

At my company, Further Notice is scheduled in Outlook as a recurring daily event.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Today at a company meeting: All future development hires will be from India.

Goodie.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ape Fist posted:

Goodie.

Solution: ship all hiring managers to India and force them to fly candidates there to interview them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ape Fist posted:

Goodie.

Jesus. I'm sorry. My most profound memory of working with developers in India at my work is having them release a screen that pulls back all ~250,000 rows in a table, and then filters it down to a few dozen results clientside.

We scaled back our "global workforce" efforts after that. Who would have thunk that when you spend 1/6 the money on a development resource, you get 1/6 the quality?