Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Frank_Leroux posted:

So, lemme ask ya...

Do you think this is some kind of weirdly public money-laundering scheme? Because otherwise I have to believe that there are that many gullible whales still out there looking to plonk down the equivalent of a decent used car for this crap.

My headcanon is that somehow CR and the gang got entangled with the Russian mob b/c they needed a little extra dosh to make payroll. And now they're in too deep, and have to keep up the facade of pushing out ship jpegs so that their true masters can keep the laundering going.

I'm not really sure, and we may never know.

Something tells me that they have angel investors, and that bank is a bigger bank than their actual bank, or it gets constant deposits. And they filter this money into the main bank via "purchases". I'm sure somehow somebody is cutting some edges but I don't know.

I really can't say "illegal stuff is definitely happening!" Because who knows, and I can't imagine anybody would be dumb enough to do something illegal with the money, but we may literally never know.

The only thing I'm 95% confident in is the money will all be gone before anybody can do anything about it or get any kind of restitution. It'll just be a big ole "well, we spent it all already, sorry!"

And a few key people will ride off into the sunset as millionaires. :shrug:

Misn succfl.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don’t forget that Star Citizen will have revolutionary AI that will make NPC behavior indistinguishable from real players. So the whale with 60 ships will be in their command ship commanding the other 59 AI controlled ships in one massive fleet.

And don’t forget that the AI won’t be controlling a ship. The AI will be controlling individual NPCs who will be in the ships, engaged in all of the roles a human player can do. Since many of the ships need to be crewed that means hundreds of NPCs all working perfectly together doing all the myriad of tasks required to fly the ships.

An NPC to pilot the ship. An NPC to copilot it, directing shield and power levels. A few NPCs in the turrets. A few NPCs physically running around the hallways of the ship repairing damage and reloading ammunition. Probably an NPC monitoring the engines. A squad of NPCs standing guard to defend the ship from being boarded by other NPCs, engaging in FPS firefights in the ship.

And it’ll all work. For hundreds of ships all fighting in one battle.

This is what is being sold. This is what these whales believe is possible.

Best way to beat ships will be to engage in psychological warfare against the AI. Like, take their eggs in the fidelity cafeteria so they get pissed, then sell it back to them so they are so poor they can't afford their medication and get upset. Also lace their food with laxatives so they will all need to use the restroom.

When this is happening, you make your attack in your starter ship and defeat the massive carrier because you're so smart and the AI is basically people.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
the hell happened to Derek? Went off the deep end again?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

He saw the light and is a concierge backer now

Does anyone have the catalog with all the different tiers of poo poo you get for spending a house worth of cash on Star Citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Taintrunner posted:

He saw the light and is a concierge backer now

Does anyone have the catalog with all the different tiers of poo poo you get for spending a house worth of cash on Star Citizen

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Fargin Icehole posted:

He was inflicting his seasonable habits upon the forum and rules were remembered and exceptions ignored.

Derek couldn't help himself from being immutable as he muted many and listened to none. And so, he will never speak here again.

Obtuse loving idiot doxx'd again.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

One word for you: subsumption. By misusing a word that actual experts in an unrelated field coined, Chris Roberts instantly created an AI singularity. Such is his magnificence.

Remember: this is the guy who was involved with changing the color of a single pixel in the ancient bad game Wing Commander. Not sure why all the FUD.

Back when monitor resolutions were 320 by 240 pixels, and your color pallet was 64, changing a pixel could actually make a difference.

It's still a pretty poo poo thing to laud and smells like the management style of taking something perfectly fine and having them change something, just so you can claim it as your own.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lladre posted:

Back when monitor resolutions were 320 by 240 pixels, and your color pallet was 64, changing a pixel could actually make a difference.

It's still a pretty poo poo thing to laud and smells like the management style of taking something perfectly fine and having them change something, just so you can claim it as your own.

Star Citizen is actually a pixel clicker puzzle

Find the funding!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"There, click that one, click him and see if-"

"$1,200 raised!"

"No no, I need that pixel green. gently caress it, let's record another one."

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

how are all of my old 'star citizen thread' friends doing?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Frank_Leroux posted:

So, lemme ask ya...

Do you think this is some kind of weirdly public money-laundering scheme? Because otherwise I have to believe that there are that many gullible whales still out there looking to plonk down the equivalent of a decent used car for this crap.

My headcanon is that somehow CR and the gang got entangled with the Russian mob b/c they needed a little extra dosh to make payroll. And now they're in too deep, and have to keep up the facade of pushing out ship jpegs so that their true masters can keep the laundering going.

There are plenty of rich nerds/shut-ins out there to pump dollars into this. I think that most people who are buying the ships these days are fully aware they are simply continuing to pay for the development. I suspect that they believe they will be rewarded by being the biggest cock in the yard whenif the game launches; and are going to be VERY disappointing when CIG is still willing to take everyone's money.

But who knows. it's the great mysteries that keep us rubbin'.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Kickstarter legitimacy chart

Type 7 : No solid pieces, ENTIRELY JPEG

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

XK posted:

FYI, I declare that catte taxxe can be any media (still or animated image, or video) that the taxxed person finds personally interesting or informative, or believes may be interesting or informative to the thread at large. Such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIeozyQ3Is

Mods?!?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

Honestly, how is this still a problem?
I’m probably going to get downvoted to oblivion, but how is this door glitch to leave your personal quarters still a thing? Since 3.0 has come out I’ve been able to leave my room maybe twice.It’s just annoying spending 10-15 minutes waiting to get to the main menu then another 10-15 to load into the PU to just get stuck in the room.

At this point, for me personally, I’m just kind of giving up hope that I’m going to enjoy this game. I get it’s supposed to be an alpha build but the game has been unplayable since September almost solely because of this bug. Basically I just don’t get how SO much progress has been made on the game but such a small simple bug is still prevalent and it’s pretty game breaking.

Basically all I’m asking is for CIG to let me come out the closet. (Before anyone mentions it yes I deleted my USER folder, yes I verified my game, yes I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, yes I made a blood sacrifice to Chris Roberts, and yes I turned it off and back on) anyways downvote away if you think I’m being impatient

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm pulling seniority here. Typical cute posts are also still acceptable.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I try for 3.5.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

SixPabst posted:

so i was at a buddy's place yesterday and he insisted that i try elite in VR, which is way loving cool even though i don't really know how to play the game

but in the few minutes i did play, how is elite not what these morons have been wanting the whole time? minus the walking around part with space hot tubs and shady bar characters and helmet flips of course.

It's because it's a direct competitor with the One True Game, and highlights exactly what a poo poo-show the development of Star Citizen by starting development after them, with less money and releasing a fully functional game almost 3.5 years ago (and only 9 months late).

Regardless, any game, no matter how good cannot begin to compare favourably with one that only exists in their heads.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I think this year's Citcon gamechanger is going to be realtime ray tracing powered by deep convolutional neural networks that Chris personally trained to his standard of fidelity.

Then they team up with Google to sell Star Citizen brand TPUs.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mu77ley posted:

It's because it's a direct competitor with the One True Game, and highlights exactly what a poo poo-show the development of Star Citizen by starting development after them, with less money and releasing a fully functional game almost 3.5 years ago (and only 9 months late).

Regardless, any game, no matter how good cannot begin to compare favourably with one that only exists in their heads.

But they didn't include private servers that them mentioned once that they might and they sold DLC which they said all along they were going to do so they might as well be the devil incarnate; and bad; and dumb; and stupid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SoftNum posted:

But they didn't include private servers that them mentioned once that they might and they sold DLC which they said all along they were going to do so they might as well be the devil incarnate; and bad; and dumb; and stupid.

But Star Citizen also cancelled private servers AND mods, while also selling a book on how to create your own server and how to mod it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But Star Citizen also cancelled private servers AND mods, while also selling a book on how to create your own server and how to mod it

Please dont spread fud

Lando will be here shortly to assure everyone that that was simply incorrectly worded. What cig meant to say was you will be able to rent private servers directly from cig for the low low price of $250/month. Limited to 5,000 units so order yours now !!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Neltharak posted:

Citizen con alright

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MilesK posted:

I think this year's Citcon gamechanger is going to be realtime ray tracing powered by deep convolutional neural networks that Chris personally trained to his standard of fidelity.

Then they team up with Google to sell Star Citizen brand TPUs.

They could also use the ray tracing as an excuse to partner with Nvidia, so they have had all three main hardware companies on their list.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

TAKE MY MONEY

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Frank_Leroux posted:

So, lemme ask ya...

2017 is when it really felt like there might really be some dark magic at work in their numbers. Speculation as to specific mechanisms for inexplicable data quickly leads to :tinfoil: theorycrafting because too much doesn’t add up.

We do know there aren’t 2 million unique paying customers and it’s likely half that, yet Chris Roberts still sent out a Letter from the Chairman pretending there were. The funding tracker, once used to prove just how brilliant Chris and Sandi are as gaming impresarios, now seems like a Pandora’s Box that absolutely, positively must not be opened lest some horror be unleashed. Skadden and Crytek seem intent on doing just that and if they get a crowbar into it and it does conceal demonic fraudulence, it seems they’d have scary leverage to extract what they want. But it’s unclear what they want. If they want pelts and mounted heads on a wall, they might have the means to get it. If they want money, well, maybe as MoMA says, it’s an 8 figure nothingburger.

Assuming we can trust the funding tracker when we can’t trust the customer count (nor CIG’s marketing of it) seems foolhardy, but pretending we can, then in the best of worlds, what we are seeing is the triumph of extreme marketing predation over a pretty reckonable number of compulsive collectors. In the worst of them, the possibilities are quite boundless.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Star Citizen is still good, Happy Sisyphus. Bootcha’s been helping make sense of it in Goon video form. Very worth the viewing when you have the time.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 29, 2018

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

XK posted:

I try for 3.5.

Is this the DND thread

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

RELAY: Erris works through the grief and anger of CIG playing favorites with high-value Twitch streamers. (1:21:30)

I’ve been continuing to sample the Relay weekend stream and this one really is full of interesting tidbits.

We have yet another Erris rant (his third in one stream) as the question of CIG showing preferential treatment to those they’ve designated as high value streamers. As we know, Mitauchi, Captain Richard, and ‘Saurus all were treated to free, beefy IBuyPower rigs for their twitch streaming, no doubt to make sure the juiced up hardware gives the best possible Star Citizen streaming experiences.

It makes sense, purely from a marketing perspective... and yet there’s no denying that by doing this, CIG has made winners and losers in the streamer ranks. Relay, that very long running and undeniable loyal outpost of blind evangelism for Star Citizen, was weighed in the scales and found wanting.

The same sort of mercenary calculus deemed BoredGamer worthy of Developer access while Batgirl was given embarrassing and obviously dishonest excuses for why she no longer would have access to CIG employees for her long-running and equally faithful YouTube channel. Whatever Erris or Batgirl might have thought was special and valued about their relationship with and to CIG has been repriced. In effect, CIG has unmistakably discounted it all.

Especially interesting in all of this is the fact that ‘Saurus, the saltiest pro-CIG streamer in the entire community, was deemed worthy of the elevation in spite of his frequent mockeries of the game and arguments with Devs who monitor and moderate his stream. Yet his subscriber count overrode those gestures of disloyalty and if that doesn’t especially sting Erris, it surely should. His faithfulness can’t be denied, and even on this recent stream he proved his willingness to cling to old myths like “Illfonic poo poo the bed, that’s why Star Marine fell apart” when everyone knows it was never so one-sided and Chris eventually owned their bigger part in failed oversight of the subcontract.

But faithfulness and a quarter will buy you a playthrough of Pac-Man. Disloyalty plus an actual audience will buy you a bombass PC rig and free marketing boosts from CIG and friends.

Sorry, Erris. It’s just business, man.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I went to Calgary comic con and expo and got my pic taken with Christopher Lloyd and the Delorean. Off topic I know, but it turned out pretty good so I thought I’d share.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Be careful, you're getting in too deep.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I found the vegan Derek Smart:

quote:

Only the way you all speak is embarrassing. She gave a girl money to buy non-vegan ice cream, which vegans are by definition against. How hard is that to understand? You all need to get a grip and start thinking more carefully about which side of history you want to be on.

https://twitter.com/7AnthonyDagher7/status/990330619870707718

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I know it's waaay off topic, but he reminded me so hard of Derek I couldn't help myself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Warhawk109 posted:

I went to Calgary comic con and expo and got my pic taken with Christopher Lloyd and the Delorean. Off topic I know, but it turned out pretty good so I thought I’d share.

Great photo. Lloyd looking well, that's nice to see.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

XK posted:

Be careful, you're getting in too deep.

I can’t help but find this fascinating.

Erris recounts a promise made to him by CIG that was since broken and some unmentionable controversy that took place at CitizenCon 2016 involving one of the streamers deemed a winner by CIG. He is just about to get into the details of it when Paul warns him that to do so is a violation of Twitch TOS and he risks being banned by speaking about it on Twitch. So Erris backs down.

It’s less the specific controversy that fascinating than the dynamics at work then and now. Heresy policing in real time... Past bad faith actions rewarded highly by CIG while Erris’s good faith gets put on the discount rack... Promises broken by CIG to their most indefatigable defender...

Nothing is surprising about any of it because that’s who CIG is and always has been. But Erris being forced in real-time to see the truth of who they are, a truth long denied by him yet obvious here for years, is a tiny little reaffirmation of the Skeptics / Heretics worldview that he an Evangelist has so long denied. If only he’d taken heed of the rebukes offered him in good faith, perhaps this microtragedy could have been avoided.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

MJF was off camera jittering around like a drake dragonfly

(Sorry I love mjf it just fit so perfectly)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

I can’t help but find this fascinating.

Erris recounts a promise made to him by CIG that was since broken and some unmentionable controversy that took place at CitizenCon 2016 involving one of the streamers deemed a winner by CIG. He is just about to get into the details of it when Paul warns him that to do so is a violation of Twitch TOS and he risks being banned by speaking about it on Twitch. So Erris backs down.

It’s less the specific controversy that fascinating than the dynamics at work then and now. Heresy policing in real time... Past bad faith actions rewarded highly by CIG while Erris’s good faith gets put on the discount rack... Promises broken by CIG to their most indefatigable defender...

Nothing is surprising about any of it because that’s who CIG is and always has been. But Erris being forced in real-time to see the truth of who they are, a truth long denied by him yet obvious here for years, is a tiny little reaffirmation of the Skeptics / Heretics worldview that he an Evangelist has so long denied. If only he’d taken heed of the rebukes offered him in good faith, perhaps this microtragedy could have been avoided.

Brb gonna open a twitch account and pledge my loyalty to cig so I can get a free swag PC too

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

He is just about to get into the details of it when Paul warns him that to do so is a violation of Twitch TOS and he risks being banned by speaking about it on Twitch. So Erris backs down.

Ok, wait. What could he have stated that would be a violation of Twitch TOS?

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So, as someone who hasn't played any CR game and is just here for the lulz, can any of you gentlegoons tell me what exactly is SQ 42 trying to be?
Except bad, that is.
I mean, I've been reading back into the thread and looking at their marketing material, and I still can't figure it out.

From what I can tell , they're making some sort of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, that's liniar and has spaceships.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sample_text posted:

So, as someone who hasn't played any CR game and is just here for the lulz, can any of you gentlegoons tell me what exactly is SQ 42 trying to be?

A movie.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

This guy. Every single pithy comeback of his in that car crash thread is, "No, YOU".

"Dude, get a grip, you're acting like a delusional radicalist. Stop being such a dick."

"No dude YOU get a grip. YOU are the one acting like a delusional radicalist. YOU stop being such a dick."

I love it. It reads like a parody gimmick twitter account... but I fear it's a real person.

PS. I miss Derek's presence in this thread. If you think that makes me a dick, then... NO YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Well!

Been destroying mechs and trying to run a light crew while hitting bonus objectives in Battletech!

An small insight of what my playstyle is like, many pretty pictures which I took a while to arrange. Getting some practice for the LP, feedback would be amazing

This game loving rules and I feel like I need to put another 100 hours into it before I run a Star Citizen let's play just to learn and enjoy everything it has to offer. LRM boats are for losers, melee and close range brawls are for winners. I haven't even started the war (aka the third primary mission or something lmao)

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 29, 2018