Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Am I going to miss out on a bunch of content if I’m not connected to the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’ve done basically all of the missions but the last three or four. I do see some S ranks in the wild, but it’s pretty rare.

Huh, did you fully upgrade your base? I'm also at mission 40-41 but all my teams are lebel 65-68 I think?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

areyoucontagious posted:

Am I going to miss out on a bunch of content if I’m not connected to the internet?

A decent amount. Don’t worry about being invaded. Even if you are, you’ll gain more resources vs. not ever connecting at all.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Huh, did you fully upgrade your base? I'm also at mission 40-41 but all my teams are lebel 65-68 I think?

ALMOST fully. I think I have two platforms still at 3/4, but it sounds like this might be the key. I guess I need to farm some fuel resources so I can upgrade them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gin_Rummy posted:

What’s the best way to level up my staff? I’ve sort of plateaued in the low-to-mid 40s on all my teams. I’d really like to get my R&D team up to make some of these harder missions easier, but it’s already fully staffed with A+/A rank guys. Am I pretty much saddled with doing FOB infiltrations for better staff, or can easilyI farm S ranks somewhere in the single player?
Invade high level player FOBs for S++ guys that give them as a reward.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gin_Rummy posted:

ALMOST fully. I think I have two platforms still at 3/4, but it sounds like this might be the key. I guess I need to farm some fuel resources so I can upgrade them.

Hmmm, I don't think upgrading those 2-3 platforms will cause your teams to level up 20 levels. But it won't hurt of course.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Hmmm, I don't think upgrading those 2-3 platforms will cause your teams to level up 20 levels. But it won't hurt of course.

Well it sounds like it’s the key in the sense that apparently a higher level mother base equals higher ranked soldiers spawning in the field.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Adding to your FOB lets you massively increase your department stats because that’s another 25 men per department per deck per base. A fully decked out FOB lets you hold 700 more men, and their total stats are what give your departments their levels

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

With mother base and the poverty FOB, I was only able to get my levels to the low 80s with all staff being S rank or higher. The weekly FOB events are pretty good for stocking up on S ranked staff.

This week's event is pretty easy to get all 7 tasks on the medical platform, which nets over 14,000 points (enough for 30 non-combat S rank staff). Medical platform is one of the easiest, just tranq pistol and fulton the 6 people on the insertion platform, head over to the next platform and grab the AA gun, then use the stun arm to clear the way to the exit (which should also get the last 4 takedowns).

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm at mission 42 I think, and there's another virus outbreak on my base. Will my staff start dying off again? And do I need to hurry with that mission to limit my losses?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

shut up blegum posted:

I'm at mission 42 I think, and there's another virus outbreak on my base. Will my staff start dying off again? And do I need to hurry with that mission to limit my losses?

Im pretty sure that one is a contained mission so the virus cant spread beyond the quarantine zone.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 9, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

shut up blegum posted:

Your staff will start dying off when you do the mission and it is glorious how it happens. Do it right now.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It's plot.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Scalding Coffee posted:

Your staff will start dying off when you do the mission and it is glorious how it happens. Do it right now.

Lol at that ending cutscene.

EDIT: why didn't we kill Huey already by the way? Dude keeps sabotaging us.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 10, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
To avoid a Time Paradox. He has to do it himself.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Lol at that ending cutscene.

EDIT: why didn't we kill Huey already by the way? Dude keeps sabotaging us.

Huey was already dying in canon years later by killing himself after he discovers his own son cucked him.

(Man that plotline was super :stare: , even by MGS2s insane standards)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Spalec posted:

Huey was already dying in canon years later by killing himself after he discovers his own son cucked him.

(Man that plotline was super :stare: , even by MGS2s insane standards)

Imo its one of twists that got better with MGSV once we learned what kind of pos Huey actually is and he had it coming

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Especially given it's not particularly even hinted at in Peace Walker what a jackass he is, he just seems like Otacon's crippled clone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Especially given it's not particularly even hinted at in Peace Walker what a jackass he is, he just seems like Otacon's crippled clone.

You see it a little bit and it's kind of clever in that with MGSV retroactively revealing the kind of person he is the idea that he's completely bullshitting and lying the entire time is entirely consistent.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DeathChicken posted:

Peace Walker was too busy making GBS threads all over The Boss, that it forgot about Huey.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I dunno, Huey in Peace Walker was for sure an unctuous idiot who changed loyalties between Strangelove, Coldman, and Big Boss without hesistation, while also openly stealing the Metal Gear plans from Granin and advocating arming ZEKE with a nuke. His characterization in V seems consistent.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Ok- questions regarding phantom pain honey bee mission: a) can I save the prisoner? I followed them down into the cave and pussed out on just charging in until they shot him so then I went in and killed all the soldiers. If I was faster could he be saved?

B) can you kill those fuckin mist dudes without using the honey bee?

C) is there a good spot to get backstory on the mist guys, pyro guys, and skull face without a ton of spoilers?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Yes, yes, and no. Continue with the game and you'll get the answers you want for C.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

areyoucontagious posted:

Ok- questions regarding phantom pain honey bee mission: a) can I save the prisoner? I followed them down into the cave and pussed out on just charging in until they shot him so then I went in and killed all the soldiers. If I was faster could he be saved?

B) can you kill those fuckin mist dudes without using the honey bee?

C) is there a good spot to get backstory on the mist guys, pyro guys, and skull face without a ton of spoilers?

You can save the prisoner at any point. You just have to come up with a plan.

You can kill them without Honey Bee but its harder and you might not have enough firepower for it at this point.

Skull Face was introduced in Ground Zeroes as a commander of black ops unit XOF who wants to kill both Big Boss and his former commander Zero for reasons unknown.

Everything else is pretty spoilery so Im not sure wha else to tell you

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
In the mission where you have to blow up a tank at the oilfield and shut off the main valve or whatever. Can't you use c4 to blow up the main valve as well? I just tried that and my c4 didn't detonate for some reason. If you can't do that, how do you (secondary objective spoiler) evacuate the oilfield before it gets surrounded?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In It For The Tank posted:

I dunno, Huey in Peace Walker was for sure an unctuous idiot who changed loyalties between Strangelove, Coldman, and Big Boss without hesistation, while also openly stealing the Metal Gear plans from Granin and advocating arming ZEKE with a nuke. His characterization in V seems consistent.
Didn't he go "oh woe is me they are using my creation for horrible purposes", much like Otacon did, and then, unlike Otacon, immediately turn around and start building another Metal Gear for Big Boss? He was a bit fishy even in Peace Walker.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

shut up blegum posted:

In the mission where you have to blow up a tank at the oilfield and shut off the main valve or whatever. Can't you use c4 to blow up the main valve as well? I just tried that and my c4 didn't detonate for some reason. If you can't do that, how do you (secondary objective spoiler) evacuate the oilfield before it gets surrounded?

You have to turn off the actual pump, which is in one of the main buildings. The guards wont react AFAIK. Then you can do the tank explosions at your leisure. If you clear the refinery and destroy the radar, you can even call in the chopper before you blow it.

Of course the fastest way is to turn off the pump, put a rocket into the tank, then Fulton out on a resource crate

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Paingod556 posted:

You have to turn off the actual pump, which is in one of the main buildings. The guards wont react AFAIK. Then you can do the tank explosions at your leisure. If you clear the refinery and destroy the radar, you can even call in the chopper before you blow it.

Of course the fastest way is to turn off the pump, put a rocket into the tank, then Fulton out on a resource crate

Yeah, I placed c4 on the tank and pump, then made my way to the resource containers and prepared to Fulton out. Except the pump didn't explode :doh: so I had to go back in and manually disable it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So last night I discovered that completing the challenges provides tangible rewards, rather than just adding to your completion percentage. Seeing as how I had 8 billion completed and unredeemed challenges, I was able to gain like 8 levels to all of my mother base teams and maxed out my funds five times over within five minutes. Good thing I discovered this after 80 hours :doh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Time to shove this thread back to the front. I'm getting into the post-game of MGS5 and while I don't think this is really going to be an issue it seems the only A++ soldiers you can get through dispatch missions are Combat? From what I can tell all other types I have to extract? I don't think I'm going to run out but I am sending them out on the dispatch missions for S and S+ and they do die on occasion.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kibayasu posted:

Time to shove this thread back to the front. I'm getting into the post-game of MGS5 and while I don't think this is really going to be an issue it seems the only A++ soldiers you can get through dispatch missions are Combat? From what I can tell all other types I have to extract? I don't think I'm going to run out but I am sending them out on the dispatch missions for S and S+ and they do die on occasion.

There will come a point in the game where you will find S Rank soldiers in the field. Outside of modding in the PC version, S rank soldiers are the best you're ever going to get ingame.

Any soldiers that specialize in something as S-S++ are most likely going to be A+-A++ in the combat rating. Make sure you put those S++ on direct contract so you don't lose them in base raids/in game ransom/ permadeath.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

There will come a point in the game where you will find S Rank soldiers in the field. Outside of modding in the PC version, S rank soldiers are the best you're ever going to get ingame.

Any soldiers that specialize in something as S-S++ are most likely going to be A+-A++ in the combat rating. Make sure you put those S++ on direct contract so you don't lose them in base raids/in game ransom/ permadeath.

I don't have PS Plus so no worries about getting raided. I know that S are better and I am finding them in the field, I just mean that for the dispatch missions where you send out something like 30 A++ Combat soldiers and some number of A++ R&D soldiers to get S R&D soldiers back. I know it's not like you lose all the A++ R&D soldiers you send but you do lose some. Probably not worth worrying about though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kibayasu posted:

I don't have PS Plus so no worries about getting raided. I know that S are better and I am finding them in the field, I just mean that for the dispatch missions where you send out something like 30 A++ Combat soldiers and some number of A++ R&D soldiers to get S R&D soldiers back. I know it's not like you lose all the A++ R&D soldiers you send but you do lose some. Probably not worth worrying about though.

I didn't answer it right. Yeah, those dispatch missions were added later on and it's basically a conversion and there is a chance you'll lose some A++ specific R&D soldiers, but it's mostly the combat unit that suffers those losses.

Once you start seeing the S soldiers ingame, you'll be swimming in chances on procuring A++ soldiers. Pretty sure for every small camp, you got at least one S, three A++ and poor johnny with the D rating that is probably going to die in your aggressive talent scouting methods.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The best place to get S ranks are the mansion mission, for the extra medals. If you are going to farm the best soldiers, you should focus on the S+ ops and FOB invasions. S++ soldiers are so much better than S ranks that you are wasting your time otherwise after filling half your bases.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of funny how easy getting S ranks on almost all the missions is when you come back with a few dozen hours of gear development (and the wormhole fulton and/or anti-material rifle if there are Skulls involved).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So it's been almost ten years and I realized yet another cool thing about the final fight of 4.

I remembered that the health bars went through the styles of 1/2/3 and Ocelot had the corresponding name changes...

...but it hadn't clicked for me that Liquid Snake was from 1, Liquid Ocelot from 2, and Revolver Ocelot from 3, so he literally has a name that corresponds to the game the life bar is mimicking the style of.

And now I feel stupid.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah, and I think it's meant to represent the layers of Ocelot's self-hypnosis bullshit getting peeled away until he's once again his authentic self. Such a good scene overall.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

acksplode posted:

Yeah, and I think it's meant to represent the layers of Ocelot's self-hypnosis bullshit getting peeled away until he's once again his authentic self. Such a good scene overall.
Right, I knew you were literally beating the Liquid out of him, but I didn't realize that it corresponded with the bar also. Kojima's brilliant sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's basically the one good actual thematic moment in MGS4.

Note I didn't say only good moment because both Fingerguns of the Patriots and Mount Snakemore exist.