Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have nothing to say about the last day of this event- no leaks have reached me at all, which is really frustrating. Maybe it's going to be nothing significant.

Since I have nothing better to do, let me talk a bit about Fallout 3 and how it was a waste of potential. A lot of people focus on the story problems (and they're not wrong), but I think the biggest disappointment of Fallout 3 for me was that it squandered its environment. FO3 had perhaps the best opportunity to do interesting things with interior environments of all the Fallouts- DC is a space with a ton of iconic, interesting and interconnected buildings, subways, museums, and government facilities. FO3 sort of taps into that in some places, but there are a ton of locations that are passed over or underdeveloped. This is a shame, because the 3D games have had few other chances to do that sort of high scale work, and I've always found the buildings and vaults and ruins way more interesting than the wasteland.

I think perhaps the most heinous example of this missed chance for environmental gameplay and storytelling is Raven's Rock, an underground bunker intended for the continuity of government in the event of a nuclear war. Raven's Rock really exists, and has been very influential in media- and it has strong thematic ties to the fallout universe. A secret military bunker at a great depth, used to house the facilities, people and items that the federal government would want to keep absolutely secure, even if it were the apocalypse, is kind of perfect for a setting like Fallout 3. While the devs did make it the home base of the Enclave, it's also a place that the player visits once, only explores partially, and is kind of a damp squib where players have little to do. Heck, instead of exploring and looting the place, it's destroyed with minimal agency on the part of the player- it happens offscreen in many scenarios. I don't know if it was cut for time or what, but because of all that, you never get the chance to see high tech Enclave weaponry or ancient old-world artifacts, and you never really get clear exposure to the worldview of what is in many ways the most defining faction of the entire franchise. It was a really wasted opportunity. I hope at some point Bethesda, or someone, will go back and really do Raven's Rock, or some similar top-secret facility, justice. Maybe we'll finally get Fallout: New York City or something.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So what you're saying is fallout 3 and payday 2 are in the same universe.

And we should petition overkill for a fatman/experimental mirv

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think I've just been fixating on this issue, thinking lately about fallout, payday, tomb raider, far cry and how environmental exploration and storytelling works in each of those games. If you look for common themes and elements and read between the lines, I think it gives us a pretty good idea of where games are headed in the future. I know, maybe I'm not strictly on topic.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 28, 2018

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Finally, secret hunting has broken discendo's brain.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

In the end, the secret was all the pubstoves we touched along the way.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

UnknownMercenary posted:

In the end, the secret was all the pubstoves we touched along the way.

as somebody who got incapacitated 26 times doing hitman-> ace fully loaded and max oppressor tree with 3 micro uzis but still winning deathwish scarface mansion because I crammed inspire on the build I can attest to this

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Same with the Stryks. You have to basically treat em as crappier akimbo Guards and then switch to auto to light up dozers.
edit: Looks like the akimbo SMGs have gimped pickup in comparison to their single versions. Same oversight happened back in 2016; still unpatched for the old akimbos so expect this to never get fixed either. Good thing it's easy enough to do on your own.

...But somehow they remembered to buff the pickup on the akimbo Goliath to match the pickup of the single version. Just Overkill things.

Quick Lua file I made to fix akimbo SMG pickup rates to their proper numbers.

Also I would expect a pretty fast fix for the Akimbo Judges, considering how fast they patched the Castigos last year.

:911:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGD9skaIVk

I play them with Hitman ICTV with 2 full ammo bags and Aced Fully Loaded. The sheer number of akimbo SMGs now certainly makes the perk deck a lot more viable as an option, although it's obviously still only DW-viable at best.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Death Wish anything is nowadays a loving SCARY experience with all those Skulldozers and MiniDozers, but Framing Frame 3 loud was actually fun and exciting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kikas posted:

Death Wish anything is nowadays a loving SCARY experience with all those Skulldozers and MiniDozers, but Framing Frame 3 loud was actually fun and exciting.

Fun fact: minigun dozers are bugged and do much less damage than they're supposed to.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Fun fact: minigun dozers are bugged and do much less damage than they're supposed to.

At least they move at the right pace.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Discendo Vox posted:

I have nothing to say about the last day of this event- no leaks have reached me at all, which is really frustrating. Maybe it's going to be nothing significant.

Since I have nothing better to do, let me talk a bit about Fallout 3 and how it was a waste of potential. A lot of people focus on the story problems (and they're not wrong), but I think the biggest disappointment of Fallout 3 for me was that it squandered its environment. FO3 had perhaps the best opportunity to do interesting things with interior environments of all the Fallouts- DC is a space with a ton of iconic, interesting and interconnected buildings, subways, museums, and government facilities. FO3 sort of taps into that in some places, but there are a ton of locations that are passed over or underdeveloped. This is a shame, because the 3D games have had few other chances to do that sort of high scale work, and I've always found the buildings and vaults and ruins way more interesting than the wasteland.

I think perhaps the most heinous example of this missed chance for environmental gameplay and storytelling is Raven's Rock, an underground bunker intended for the continuity of government in the event of a nuclear war. Raven's Rock really exists, and has been very influential in media- and it has strong thematic ties to the fallout universe. A secret military bunker at a great depth, used to house the facilities, people and items that the federal government would want to keep absolutely secure, even if it were the apocalypse, is kind of perfect for a setting like Fallout 3. While the devs did make it the home base of the Enclave, it's also a place that the player visits once, only explores partially, and is kind of a damp squib where players have little to do. Heck, instead of exploring and looting the place, it's destroyed with minimal agency on the part of the player- heck, it happens offscreen in many scenarios. I don't know if it was cut for time or what, but because of all that, you never get the chance to see high tech Enclave weaponry or ancient old-world artifacts, and you never really get clear exposure to the worldview of what is in many ways the most defining faction of the entire franchise. It was a really wasted opportunity. I hope at some point Bethesda, or someone, will go back and really do Raven's Rock, or some similar top-secret facility, justice. Maybe we'll finally get Fallout: New York City or something.

Go play New Vegas than. It took the FO3 engine, fixed some of the mechanics to be more solid, and then focused a lot more on story/worldbuilding. You still get some janky places that make no sense if you look too closely, but that's more the setting than anything. New Vegas is the fallout where you randomly come across some NCR troopers being held down by sniper fire, go forward to kill the raiders and bring their friend's body back only for them to actually, in character, treat you like a goddamned hero for what you did. No rewards other than a handful of caps and being hailed as as a hero, and the game sells it. Some of the best writing is also hidden behind the player character making bad decisions: if you chose to support Yes Man but then blow up the army of robots beneath Caesar's base you can hear the AI trying to not have an aneurysm as he struggles to both ask "Why the gently caress did you blow up your robot army?" and follow his programming to support what you did. Him going "Good...Job? I guess you felt it was too easy? Yeah, that's right, you wanted a challenge, to make things...harder?" is one of the funniest moments in the game, and a much better handling of AI compared to Eden's "Beep, boop. I am in poorly written logic loop my creators should have figured out within fifteen minutes of my creation. Setting self destruct." from FO3.

It's also the Fallout which has the Big Mountain which is a magical place.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Somehow, I don't think I'd have been able to write that post, and convey quite that message about the near future of gaming, if I was writing about new vegas.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I have fo3 and only remember running around a coliseum thing and shooting at dogs.

E
After like an hour of creating a guy that turned out to be a random character

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My understanding is that a lot of the environment/world problems with FO3 were a combination of staff issues and technology limitations. The engine simply isn't up to the task of environments that detailed and complex - even in FO4, where Boston is an arguably better city (due to more but smaller structures) it struggles to retain some semblance of what those buildings once were.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also the guys who simply wrote FO3/4 simply were not as good as writingas the NV crew were. The game had the same issue of visual scale that 3/4, but the NV writers focused more on writing actual characters, some hilarious (Granny) some rather serious. Not that the NV crew were perfect everywhere, I get that the anti-courier guy you followed through the DLC was supposed to be the big-bad of the original draft and was replaced by Caesar's army (which were supposed to be more of a foil to NCR than big bad themselves) due to time/money constraints. However what little I remember of him was so overblown that it's hard to take the dude seriously.

On topic: actually tried out an oppressor build but with an actual assault rifle instead of an LMG today. loving felt like I was playing Quake or Doom or something as I skated around, firing and reloading while sprinting in all directions. It was absolutely hilarious.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 29, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah the assault rifles got some much needed love in the recent difficulty pass.

It's hard to fault people for sticking to LMGs though; the same build covers both archtypes but LMGs just flat out win in terms of DPS and sustainability.

The only rifle that is bad now is the Valkyria because they didn't give it nearly enough of a damage boost to compensate for losing silencer skills.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
The Union is pretty much the best assault rifle now. High DPS, high concealment, accurate and stable to the point that you can counter-snipe using its iron sights, has access to the speedpull mag and excellent ammo pick-up to boot. Pair it with the Micro-Uzi, suit and Rogue and you have an excellent run-and-gun build that will wreck enemies on any difficulty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you don't care about concealment the best AR is either UAR or AK5. Both hit the 64 damage breakpoint and 80 accuracy (88 with 1 point in Oppressor and then functionally 100 with easy to grab skills) and both can equip a speedpull. The UAR has a harsher recoil profile and lower stability in exchange for a higher firerate while the AK5 reloads a fraction of a second faster with more generous recoil control.

The rest fall behind due to having lower accuracy (generally around 76 or 80 with the 1 point in Steady Grip). The only one that comes close is the Gecko 7.62 if you tank stability completely and just put on all accuracy mods, which only reaches 84 accuracy.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
The problem being that - as you alluded to earlier - if I don't care about concealment, I'll use either an LMG or the new shoulder-mounted minigun. Equip the Krinkov or any high accuracy secondary and everything dies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The near future of gaming is here.

Time for the Henry's Rock heist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYB041IP_w

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 29, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
vox how the hell did you not own thesecretisreallyreal.com prior to this

like that should've been a purchase from years ago for you

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Twist ending it was, and they bought it off him for a large sum in exchange for his silence.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

missed opportunities

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yet another spring break storyline set up, to never be finished. thanks ovk

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I didn't expect No Mercy or Joy, and somehow I'm still disappointed we didn't get either

The new heist today is pretty fun though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

overkill.jpg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The new heist actually goes a pretty long way toward unifying and resolving plotlines.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1373574593

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Starts like HM Day 2, has action like Cursed Kill Room, looks like Questionable Ethics and The DaVinci Code had a child together. Hmm...

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Discendo Vox posted:

The new heist actually goes a pretty long way toward unifying and resolving plotlines.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1373574593

Wait, I noticed that dude during my inaugural run, but didn't catch the poo poo in back. Is that The Dentist? And who the gently caress is in the chair, is that Bain? what the gently caress is going on, Murky?

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Reminder that this was once a series about robbing banks and getting rich.

New heist is basically a shorter Beneath the Mountain with a couple gimmicks thrown in. Fun enough, but the RNG can get annoying when you want the achievements.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HebrewMagic posted:

Wait, I noticed that dude during my inaugural run, but didn't catch the poo poo in back. Is that The Dentist? And who the gently caress is in the chair, is that Bain? what the gently caress is going on, Murky?

Oh better than that, the guy there? That's Kento

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The guy staring at you through the window is Kento and the guy standing in the back on the screen is supposedly the Dentist. I really hope they get back his voice actor to do more lines.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

But the Murkywater guy staring at you through the window is white?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

People used noclip to pop in there and there's stuff around there stating he's Kento.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

he's asian, also looking inside of his head reveals a dogtag that has "KENTO" on it

well kick my rear end i guess i was wrong, thats one plotline thats coming to a close soon...ish

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man, I've been out of the loop. What is the whole Payday plotline? I know Bain was looking for some "thing" that ended up being a non-existant ARC early-on. I remember the Dentist hiring the crew, and part of the payment was them getting a chance to spring Hoxton (who immediately tracked down the mole who was Hector) and in return we lifted the Diamond for him and knocked over the Golden Grin. Then there was some Wick stuff with us getting stiffed by the guy the Elephant used the crew to help get elected, so we decided to knock over his yacht (not to mention shoot anywhere from a quarter to half of his guests and throw their bodies into New York Harbor).

Vlad's drunk as gently caress while snorting and dealing more cocaine than Rockso the Clown, the Butcher's looking to profit and the Payday crew are the most competent mofos around, and the Murkywaters are indeed murky as gently caress. One of them is betraying them, no he's betraying us, no wait it was actually a double-blind to get us out of trouble and he's actually in tight with Bain. Bain gets captured during the Quentin Tarantino heist and...now apparently there's a super-villain at the top of Murkywater working with the Dentist trying to find the same secret Bain was working towards?

Where's GenSec in all of this? They seem little more than filler: just the employer of the guards, specials and key-card manufacturer.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The biggest question is who the gently caress supplies the payday crew with their piece of poo poo drills

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Where's GenSec in all of this? They seem little more than filler: just the employer of the guards, specials and key-card manufacturer.

Best guess is they're either uninvolved, or they're also a front for Kataru. There's a chance for there to be a Gensec truck outside the jewelry store on reservoir dogs day 1. The Garnet group is similarly indirectly implicated- the store was definitely set up as an ambush, and there were lots of secret-related doodads in it and in Garnet's HQ.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

EorayMel posted:

The biggest question is who the gently caress supplies the payday crew with their piece of poo poo drills

home depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

One of the funniest jokes in that game is that under Raven Rocks' lunch room is a bunch of knives (they fall through the floor grates).