Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"It's racial insensitivty! Guh! Don't even you even know racial insensitivity when you see it!?"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I haven't seen the documentary about Apu, but do they acknowledge the fact that its not just Apu, but like theres tons of stereotypes on the Simpsons?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I take offense to white people being yellow skinned

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Surprise, a cartoon that was the South Park of the early 90s is offensive. Got em again.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I haven't seen the documentary about Apu, but do they acknowledge the fact that its not just Apu, but like theres tons of stereotypes on the Simpsons?

Yes. One of the main problems is that for Indian-Americans and South Asians the racist stereotype of Apu is the ONLY representation they had in the 1990s. The only other famous Indian was the white guy from Short Circuit in brownface.

So to say all the characters in The Simpsons are stereotypes is completely missing the point.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

FrensaGeran posted:

Yes. One of the main problems is that for Indian-Americans and South Asians the racist stereotype of Apu is the ONLY representation they had in the 1990s. The only other famous Indian was the white guy from Short Circuit in brownface.

So to say all the characters in The Simpsons are stereotypes is completely missing the point.

I'm asian so only seeing people 'the same as you' on tv or in movies growing up as either the bad guy or the kung fu guy (something that still happens today even though Hollywood has started pandering a bit to the asian market), I totally get it. I don't think its missing the point at all. We're talking about a show that stereotypes everyone for laughs vs shows and movies that single out races to be the butt of jokes or stereotypes being used to show a problem that exists vs better examples such as Short Circuit. I think Apu is a more widely known character and thats why he was selected as the face of the problem vs how much perceived 'damage' he is doing which is my point.

I'll check out the doc to see if it changes my mind.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I'm asian so only seeing people 'the same as you' on tv or in movies growing up as either the bad guy or the kung fu guy (something that still happens today even though Hollywood has started pandering a bit to the asian market), I totally get it. I don't think its missing the point at all. We're talking about a show that stereotypes everyone for laughs vs shows and movies that single out races to be the butt of jokes or stereotypes being used to show a problem that exists vs better examples such as Short Circuit. I think Apu is a more widely known character and thats why he was selected as the face of the problem vs how much perceived 'damage' he is doing which is my point.

I'll check out the doc to see if it changes my mind.

He was chosen mainly because the documentarian is a huge Simpsons fan but had Apu and “thank you come again” thrown at him his whole life to mock him and his culture. But I’m just poorly repeating what he says in the doc so I strongly suggest you check it out.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Oh wow that’s really bad. I can’t stop laughing 😂

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

The text has some unfortunate artifacts in it.

But enough about The Simpsons scripts, this image also looks like dogshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boinks posted:

:finland:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://i.imgur.com/Jd5u7VI.gifv

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
As a fat, lazy, white man I am outraged by TV's stereotype that fat, lazy, white men have smoking hot wives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm amaged Laplanders didn't rage out at this. Oh wait maybe they did who would ever even notice :shrug:

(They're very protective of their traditional garb.)

e: One can hardly blame them for being sensitive to the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MgIq75uyHA

Comptroll The Forums posted:

As a fat, lazy, white man I am outraged by TV's stereotype that fat, lazy, white men have smoking hot wives.

If I had a wife she would be smoking hot because why the gently caress would I marry someone who isn't :confused:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Apr 29, 2018

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

ew, gross

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/BarbroFarbror/status/990552500024602624

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

witness the infancy of a new meme

one thats been around for a while, but is finally finding its space

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

There's no "I" in "Japan".

...that's suprisingly deep.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Powered Descent posted:

...that's suprisingly deep.

Nipon. :shepface:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Apr 29, 2018

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Goddammit I was on my way in to post this.

It's fuckin beautiful tho

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boinks posted:

they've addressed this several times in the show. the characters themselves acknowledge that they have yellow skin and blue hair and recognize that caucasian skin tones are a different color

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

could somebody repost the one that was just the jazz trumpet solo?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Poo

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Not Zoidberg!
:zoid:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

what Game is this?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

RFC2324 posted:

what Game is this?

Loss.exe

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

what Game is this?

Space Station 13

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Someone actually getting treated in medbay? That's not the SS13 I remember.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

*scream

*fart

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

Nipon. :shepface:

???

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

yes please just put it in my mouth thank you

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Surely Finns are the opposite of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Finns were created out of mud and snow to the far north. Most likely by bored wizards