Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

suuma posted:

When in doubt, sell bone chips.

But I needs all my bone chips to make pets what slap the bad guys :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just ask goons for help.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Me and Mal cleared out the entirety of Warren's about 3 times. We were both dubious to people but threatening to the skelton guards.

After we went back, factions were still the same. I would punch about 75 kobolds, bring them to Mal, and he would ae them all.

On the p99 wiki there is a report that said a pair of ~58s did the same and went from scowls to amiably within 4 clears which suggest we should have seen something.

Edit: this was for hole key.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Deity choice can alter starting faction values, as can missed faction hits from the puller. Keep in mind that faction tables have changed over the years, but you're off to a great start.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Deity choice can alter starting faction values, as can missed faction hits from the puller. Keep in mind that faction tables have changed over the years, but you're off to a great start.

I mainly skipped the whole thing by begging a newbie to let us into the city and then being a halfling just sneak buying from the lady.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I've been one to poo-poo on druids from time to time in the past (not recently, more like 15 years ago back on live) for not really having a set role and being super numerous, but I got one up to level 9 (thanks in no small part to a bank full of crushbone belts and pads I had collected on my bard) this weekend and they are a blast. Being able to dabble in a little bit of everything gives you some moment to moment options. The usefulness of being able to change gears at any given moment and go to healer mode from DPSing is kind of clutch at moments too. Having a full suit of medium raw-hide armor at 65 strength is real savage though, that poo poo is super heavy compared to regular leather.

I also completely forgot they got a treeform spell at that level. Not to turn into an ent like in WoW, but to just turn into a immobile tree. It's the right combination of pointless and dumb yet simultaneously awesome that I miss in MMOs that have come after.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I've been one to poo-poo on druids from time to time in the past (not recently, more like 15 years ago back on live) for not really having a set role and being super numerous, but I got one up to level 9 (thanks in no small part to a bank full of crushbone belts and pads I had collected on my bard) this weekend and they are a blast. Being able to dabble in a little bit of everything gives you some moment to moment options. The usefulness of being able to change gears at any given moment and go to healer mode from DPSing is kind of clutch at moments too. Having a full suit of medium raw-hide armor at 65 strength is real savage though, that poo poo is super heavy compared to regular leather.

I also completely forgot they got a treeform spell at that level. Not to turn into an ent like in WoW, but to just turn into a immobile tree. It's the right combination of pointless and dumb yet simultaneously awesome that I miss in MMOs that have come after.

Ya, I remember on live that I didn't have much of a fondness for druids, but having leveled one on here, it was a surprising amount of fun.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

DeathSandwich posted:

Actually , I wonder if the exploit still works where you can walk around with minor illusion for enchanters or treeform for druids.

Edit: can you still minor illusion the entire Felwithe castle gate in faydark?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Druid treeform gives HP regen and, in a neat bit of "they don't make games like this anymore" actually reduces your fire resist while active :eng101:

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

Me and Mal cleared out the entirety of Warren's about 3 times. We were both dubious to people but threatening to the skelton guards.

After we went back, factions were still the same. I would punch about 75 kobolds, bring them to Mal, and he would ae them all.

On the p99 wiki there is a report that said a pair of ~58s did the same and went from scowls to amiably within 4 clears which suggest we should have seen something.

Edit: this was for hole key.

It's been said but Scowling can be a very very deep pit.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sandball posted:

It's been said but Scowling can be a very very deep pit.

Thats just it. We started at threateningly for guards or dubious for residents. The pit of scowl was not a consideration heh.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I loved playing my druid until I got to the point where clerics were starting to get CHeal, while I was stuck with the Greater Healing I got at level 29. Greater Healing was feeling very, very pathetic by the mid-high 30s. Knowing that was the last heal I was gonna get made me quit playing him, although that was pre-Kunark where you didn't get level 51's Superior Healing, which I can't vouch for.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, druid is a lot more robust than clerics in anything that's not straight healing or +hp buffs, which is basically a clerics reason for living. The problem is that clerics are so unbelievably good at what they do that you can basically accept no substitute. Shaman can only kind of slum it as a healer in a pinch better because he can pair up his subpar healing with slows to cut incoming damage by a significant degree and also haste and combat buffs to make the bads die faster. Druids basically get none of those things.

They still do just fine in pre 30s groups and after that they solo will enough to carry them to max level (or even to just farm money for the real party classes). I would also argue that they are in a better spot than wizards or rangers in the velious Era.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Edit: can you still minor illusion the entire Felwithe castle gate in faydark?

Doing this as a druid and turning into elevator buttons in kelethin as an enchanter are probably my 2 strongest memories of EQ back on live.

They don't make em like they used to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I logged on the other day and there was like 10 goons online in UG at once. Wtf, suddenly we this dead game is alive again!

I love my druid but I could kinda use a change. Could level my SK more but I prefer healers in EQ so much.

Guess I'll roll a necro or magician...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm thinking of rolling a magician but for whatever stupid reason I cannot get the game to show the old mage pet models, and I refuse to play a mage with the awful Luclin ones. Yes, I unchecked all Luclin models in options and even made sure they're FALSE in the .ini file. Still have the fugly new models instead of the tried-and-true triangles with arms.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm thinking of rolling a magician but for whatever stupid reason I cannot get the game to show the old mage pet models, and I refuse to play a mage with the awful Luclin ones. Yes, I unchecked all Luclin models in options and even made sure they're FALSE in the .ini file. Still have the fugly new models instead of the tried-and-true triangles with arms.

Yeah the OG ones are way better.

Hm, that's weird. That one all-in-one installer would probably fix it but may also monkey with your ui or spell symbols, not sure if you care about that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want to keep the game as close to classic as possible. Some minor QOL updates are totally fine with me, like the pet controls window, since I honestly didn't play enough of pet classes in classic to be super used to the old kludge anyway. Isn't the all-in-one installer you're talking about a UI update/change thing?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

I logged on the other day and there was like 10 goons online in UG at once. Wtf, suddenly we this dead game is alive again!

I love my druid but I could kinda use a change. Could level my SK more but I prefer healers in EQ so much.

Guess I'll roll a necro or magician...

If you prefer healers, level a cleric! Get him up there in levels and sell your body your rezzes for $$moneybucks$$. The nice part is you will always have a group, people will knock down your doors to get you to play with them. The one issue you may hit with them (if you're not a dwarf, but also even then) is armor weight on classes that are mostly puny and weak. +Str/Wis jewelry helps, but isn't a perfect cure.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

I want to keep the game as close to classic as possible. Some minor QOL updates are totally fine with me, like the pet controls window, since I honestly didn't play enough of pet classes in classic to be super used to the old kludge anyway. Isn't the all-in-one installer you're talking about a UI update/change thing?

Duxa's installer comes with a UI but you don't have to use it (I think /loadskin velious should still work after the install): https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335

EQLite might fix the issue as well as it may remove the relevant Luclin model files, I forget: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7186

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Its the Duxa's thing, but if anything it'll change everything TO classic. So if that's what you want, FULLY classic UI, then just grab Duxa's.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Can confirm, i rolled on p99 as a cleric. I was a pretty mediocre one and people still through invites all the time.

I also bound at OoT for 500p rezzes for a bit. Then Sebilis after i got keyed.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

Make sure UseLuclinElementals is also set to FALSE, or add it if it isn't present.

UseLuclinElementals=FALSE

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I played EQ for maybe 2 months in 2000. I sorta want to try again but not sure if it’s worth the time investment. I know this thread may be biased, but is P99 somewhat friendly and decently populated or am I going to basically be better off punching myself in the dick than playing?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

faulteroy posted:

Make sure UseLuclinElementals is also set to FALSE, or add it if it isn't present.

Like I said, it's there and it already shows FALSE. This is a copy/paste from my eqclient.ini

pre:
[Defaults]
UseLuclinHumanMale=FALSE
UseLuclinHumanFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinBarbarianMale=FALSE
UseLuclinBarbarianFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinEruditeMale=FALSE
UseLuclinEruditeFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinWoodElfMale=FALSE
UseLuclinWoodElfFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinHighElfMale=FALSE
UseLuclinHighElfFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinDarkElfMale=FALSE
UseLuclinDarkElfFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinHalfElfMale=FALSE
UseLuclinHalfElfFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinDwarfMale=FALSE
UseLuclinDwarfFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinTrollMale=FALSE
UseLuclinTrollFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinOgreMale=FALSE
UseLuclinOgreFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinHalflingMale=FALSE
UseLuclinHalflingFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinGnomeMale=FALSE
UseLuclinGnomeFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinIksarMale=FALSE
UseLuclinIksarFemale=FALSE
UseLuclinVahShirMale=FALSE
UseLuclinVahShirFemale=FALSE
UseD3DTextureCompression=TRUE
Sound=TRUE
MipMapping=TRUE
ShowDynamicLights=TRUE
LoadSocialAnimations=TRUE
TextureCache=TRUE
TextureQuality=0
[VideoMode]
Width=800
Height=600
WidthWindowed=800
HeightWindowed=600
Still shows Luclin elementals.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Ruggan posted:

I played EQ for maybe 2 months in 2000. I sorta want to try again but not sure if it’s worth the time investment. I know this thread may be biased, but is P99 somewhat friendly and decently populated or am I going to basically be better off punching myself in the dick than playing?
Just recognize it's not an either or and you'll be just fine. It's both populated and painfully slow for the majority of EXPing. Welcome to classic!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Ruggan posted:

I know this thread may be biased, but is P99 somewhat friendly and decently populated

I'd say its heavily populated for an emu of its age. It's very friendly for new people.

Ruggan posted:

am I going to basically be better off punching myself in the dick than playing?

You might want to use a hammer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ruggan posted:

It is friendly and decently populated, and also you'd be better off punching yourself in the dick.

There's nothing else like EQ other than maybe EVE Online, equally time consuming and frustrating but in rare moments really epic. But if you embrace that its more about the journey than getting to a specific destination, its good times.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

1-60 is a good time. Just don't get into raiding.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Whats a good place to go at level 26? I logged in for the first time in a month or so and I've forgotten where I'm supposed to go

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Frog Act posted:

Whats a good place to go at level 26? I logged in for the first time in a month or so and I've forgotten where I'm supposed to go

Mistmoore pond groups, or maybe GY. At 27 I like HHK goblin groups, though you have to be prepared to wait for a spot to open for you.

Those are the popular grouping spots. You can google for p99 per-level hunting guide to see other spots and stuff you can go solo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Frog Act posted:

South Karana, but if KFC gets too many avocets or the centaur village gets too many chargers you'll have problems. Depending on class you can go to HHK.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
ZlizEQMap is no longer working. Won't start up at all. Gave it admin access and everything. It used to work last week but no more.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is there a good newbie druid twink weapon that can be readily had for ~50pp? My druid is level 14 now and is really ready to start coming online as a soloing power, but I still want to upgrade off my tarnished scimitar if I find myself back in crushbone or the warrens or somewhere bashing green cons for faction/belts/whatever.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 1, 2018

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Ruggan posted:

It's been super nice for me. Once you can hump your rear end to Freeport/East Commons it's very gravy. Some of the peripheral areas are a little empty but you're only there to get level 5 and peace out if you start there.

One nice thing, different from my classic experience is the arbitrary "Stand around and auction place" is the tunnel from East Commons to North Ro. The server I played live used North Freeport. Everyone standing around in EC means when you're grinding there is a ton of help right there doing nothing. People running by just buffing you out of your mind. Does your group need help breaking a camp? Just ask. Straight up getting power leveled at times. I love EC tunnel as the auction area, it's a horrid stroke of luck that my live server picked anywhere else, in retrospect.

Got a couple stacks of bone chips? You can hock those while you exp solo in EC and then use them to buy a good newbie weapon. People have been super randomly generous. I think there is some sentiment among the regulars to take care of people on their first character to keep the population healthy. I'm pretty sure if you tried you could just beg your way into becoming massively twinked, but that starts to blur into an EZ mode server vs. the live experience and that's not what P99 is really for.

Maybe the worst part was starting in Qeynos area as a human druid and running to Freeport at 5. I'd recommend avoiding that headache on your first character and pick something that starts in Freeport and isn't totally gear dependent.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

DeathSandwich posted:

Is there a good newbie druid twink weapon that can be readily had for ~50pp? My druid is level 14 now and is really ready to start coming online as a soloing power, but I still want to upgrade off my tarnished scimitar if I find myself back in crushbone or the warrens or somewhere bashing green cons for faction/belts/whatever.

Wraith Bone Hammer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If anybody creates a new char and wants, post here and I can find you in game and port you to wc and walk you to fp for a bind. Its no trouble.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Anyone have a Rune Etched Icewurm Fang lying around?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So what's the recommended way to twink out a monk on a budget? I'm guessing start with a pair of trance sticks, fbss, and then fill in from there with the cheapest lightest things you can find and then finish with Wu's fighting gear for empty slots on the cheap? Is it ever worthwhile to use one of the cheap 2hb monk sticks over dual wielding considering they have dual wield at level 1 and a higher cap on the skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I’m not even sure I’d spend the cash on Wu’s. Try to get a high level goon to take you down to Dalnir in your late teens or early twenties to farm up the bind on pickup monk gear from there. Put all that money towards weapons > fbss > jewelry instead.