Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Little Mac posted:

Not a joke, but they enlisted Wizard Magazine to run an article about how the Sentry was really this long lost Stan Lee creation. It was a hoax for advertising proposes but I think they revealed it the next month or something

There we go, I had Wizard flashing in my mind but couldn't recall their role in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
the Sentry/Void is a stupid stupid stupid character that completely went off the rails some time before Siege, and it did not please me in the slightest to see him brought back in Remender's nonsensical Uncanny Avengers pre-SW or Aaron's yawn-inducing Doctor Strange post-SW. hell I'm even mad his dumb ugly Watchtower appeared in a Spider-Man video game from about the same timeframe as the height of his usage

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

There we go, I had Wizard flashing in my mind but couldn't recall their role in it.

I remember falling for it when I was like fifteen. Didn’t read the Sentry until years later.

The turn of the century was an exciting time at Marvel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Donny Cates brought Sentry back in Strange, not Jason Aaron.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I stand corrected, I forgot the writers changed with Legacy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sneaks posted:

hell I'm even mad his dumb ugly Watchtower appeared in a Spider-Man video game from about the same timeframe as the height of his usage

I was more bothered that it wasn't a solid object.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I started catching up on Ms. Marvel today and god dammit why did Becky have to come back? Get into the trash along with the rest of CWII.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like the Sentry but am still flabbergasted there's no definitive Void origin.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Maybe that will change when that new Lemire series starts because that will undoubtedly be the only good extended run the Sentry character has ever featured in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bet that Sentry series is twelve issues unless they have some big plans for the character.

Just read the last issue of The Mighty Thor. The back cover took me by surprise when I finished reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Little Mac posted:

I like the Sentry but am still flabbergasted there's no definitive Void origin.

There's no definitive anything origin for Sentry. Bendis tried to retcon it and then Jenkins re-retconned it again in the second mini and then Bendis implied Moses was the void or some loving thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it doesn't help that the whole deal is extremely vague in the original series. I think that it was like, the darkness inside Robbie, given form and power and the ability to go off and do stuff by itself by the serum?

But that doesn't explain why everyone in the world had to forget about the Sentry, and not just Robbie. If it was just that Robbie needed to stop drinking the serum but was addicted to it, couldn't they just have made him forget that he was the Sentry?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

I bet that Sentry series is twelve issues unless they have some big plans for the character.

12 issues is a long run these days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

it doesn't help that the whole deal is extremely vague in the original series. I think that it was like, the darkness inside Robbie, given form and power and the ability to go off and do stuff by itself by the serum?

But that doesn't explain why everyone in the world had to forget about the Sentry, and not just Robbie. If it was just that Robbie needed to stop drinking the serum but was addicted to it, couldn't they just have made him forget that he was the Sentry?

I mean the entire thing was metaphorical, it didn't have to make 100% sense in the text. But then he became part of actual continuity and things got muddy.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

There's no definitive anything origin for Sentry. Bendis tried to retcon it and then Jenkins re-retconned it again in the second mini and then Bendis implied Moses was the void or some loving thing.

it was the Biblical Angel of Death that Passover is observed for, which would make the Void like the third or fourth being in Marvel heavily implied to be that Angel of Death

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't see why one couldn't make a team of adult Valeria and adult Franklin Richards, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, Spider-UK-Capt. Universe, a Phoenix, Abyss, Ex Nihilo, Doom and Mary Jane Parker to explore the multi-verse as a team of Avengers or their own Pantheon written by Hickman. Something akin to Planetary as a team of explorers of the new and unique.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Autism Sneaks posted:

it was the Biblical Angel of Death that Passover is observed for, which would make the Void like the third or fourth being in Marvel heavily implied to be that Angel of Death

My read of that was that the Sentry/Void is a force (or entity) that attaches to people and can express as both their idealized paragon-of-humanity form—a superhero in modern Marvel, a prophet for this dude millennia ago—and as a dark, consuming hate-cloud taking inspiration from that person's fears and beliefs—a cosmic supervillain, the Angel of Death.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Boy howdy love that hamhanded appropriation of actual living religion into dudes in pajamas punching each other.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Or, hell, maybe not even that deep. It makes someone a hero as they conceptualize such a thing, and at full power it expresses as a tentacle hate cloud thing that tends to describe itself in threatening ways that its audience will find scary.

Florid, nonliteral self-description isn't a new idea in the ol' funnybooks.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Boy howdy love that hamhanded appropriation of actual living religion into dudes in pajamas punching each other.

:yossame:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

ehh, the bar's already set at a battle android inhabited by the soul of Mary Magdalene doing battle with her former body transformed into a soulless battle cyborg. It's hard to get up in arms about anything short of that

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, there’s a bit of difference of magnitude there but okay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was a great Green Lantern one-shot from Tom King last year about his Catholicism, and having read all of Geoff Johns' almost decade long run previously, I had no idea Hal was religious at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was a great Green Lantern one-shot from Tom King last year about his Catholicism, and having read all of Geoff Johns' almost decade long run previously, I had no idea Hal was religious at all.

Geoff Johns got exactly zero characters' personalities right in his run.

Well, maybe Mogo's.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remembered that time when Geoff Johns wrote Avengers for like two years? No? Neither do I because it wasn’t any good.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

X-O posted:

Remembered that time when Geoff Johns wrote Avengers for like two years? No? Neither do I because it wasn’t any good.

Was it the one where we had a scene of Hank Pym very tiny giving Janet orgasms showing him walking up her all tiny like from down the sheets then saying it was her turn now?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

his legendary willpower comes from harnessing the Catholic guilt from almost destroying the universe

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I’m not sure the angel of death is really actual living religion anymore.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

Geoff Johns got exactly zero characters' personalities right in his run.

Well, maybe Mogo's.

Not really, Mogo doesn’t socialize.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hal is also Catholic? I recall that King also made Kyle Catholic in his Omega Men run

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Kyle being Catholic goes back to his original run.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I read through early X-Factor a whole bunch as a kid, and while I clearly remembered the pages of Apocalypse turning into different gods, I never noticed that it was basically a powerpoint presentation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gatts posted:

Was it the one where we had a scene of Hank Pym very tiny giving Janet orgasms showing him walking up her all tiny like from down the sheets then saying it was her turn now?

Yes. That sure is! Then the question becomes where did he want Jan to go?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

My dude have you heard of sounding?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

"Boop. And then, zing!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Almost all of those stories were about the Iraq War in some way, weren't they? Even the one where Thor incurs international outrage when he leads Asgard to intervene in an Eastern European country where his worshippers are oppressed by the tyrannical government (it's all part of a plan by Dr Doom). That one had some pretty good Alan Davis art, though.

Isn't that also where the Red Skull masquerading as "Dell Rusk" comes from? There's one good bit in that story where the Red Skull faces off against T'Challa and gets his jaw punched half off.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Skwirl posted:

I remember enjoying a Spider-Man/Batman crossover where Carnage is being transferred to Arkham and escapes with the Joker. Although it has Batman beating up Carnage in a physical fight, which is almost as dumb as Venom succesfully using a judo flip on loving Superman.

Advice: if that kind of thing bugs you, never ever read the Batman / Hulk crossover.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I do...

because he wrote an incredibly lovely She-Hulk story.

And speaking of religion and comics, did you know third-tier Nova villain The Sphinx was the wizard for the biblical pharaoh in Exodus who got fired because he staff got eaten by Moses?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What was the terrible issue of She Hulk about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

And speaking of religion and comics, did you know third-tier Nova villain The Sphinx was the wizard for the biblical pharaoh in Exodus who got fired because he staff got eaten by Moses?

It's sort of funny how the Sphinx became the arch-villain for the New Warriors in the 90s because of his Nova connection. Sort of like how Graviton somehow ended up as the main enemy of the Thunderbolts when Fabian Nicieza wrote them.

Actually, Nicieza's done that a few times. Remember in New Thunderbolts how the villain was the Purple Man for a while and in one scene he reveals that he's mind controlling all of Earth's heroes using the old FF villain Overmind and quips that he "found him on the discarded characters pile"?

• Locked thread