Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Import fee, yeah. Our postal service is bleeding money due to some terrible political decisions (like privatizing it in the first place) and this is one of the measures they're trying as a band aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How is that legal? I mean, they are forcing a 12 € fee on anyone here who imports something (for the handling), but that only applies to things above the 22€ limit, below which you don't have to pay VAT or any other fees. And in theory you could import it yourself, but in practice you can only do that in the capital. Really ridiculous when you want to buy something that goes just above that limit.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Shifty Pony posted:

It is pretty crazy that it costs only $1400 to get a 40x8x8 container weighing 25 metric tons from China to the West Coast.

Stuff has always been cheap to freight out of there. It was $160 for my 12A turbo and gearbox from Japan in 1994. They want stuff exported and the ship has to sail anyway.
To buy stuff from USA or Europe is hideously expensive then and now and they don't offer cheap surface freight most of the time. I pay $80 for a small box from US or Europe these days.

Aussie freight is going to poo poo and adopting the import taxes and duties soon too. Currently we only have to pay 10% on stuff over $1000, everything less is exempt. But it's going to be on everything, and import/customs fees on top soon. E: Apparently the global market and worldwide trading isn't supposed to benefit the everyman.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 26, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Apparently the global market and worldwide trading isn't supposed to benefit the everyman.
You can't honestly say you're surprised, can you?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Definitely not suprised. I and most other people have been buying o/s for at least 15 yrs taking advantage of it while it lasted, and most of us would have bought more if there was a global standard on home mains electrical because that's the one thing you really can't buy.
But even now I still order car parts from overseas and not wholly due to price, it's mainly because everything I want is ex-germany - 3 weeks anyway if I bought from a local supplier. Instead I can use websites with proper storefronts, info etc and get it myself under 2 weeks. Unfortunately it's from the US so super high freight costs, I just wish there was somewhere in the UK with similar store fronts I could get from instead.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 26, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just got charged about 10x what I should have by everyone's favorite scandinavian post service because they couldn't loving tell the difference between US and Taiwan dollars.
It was for warranty replacements marked as gifts. They're the loving worst.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I bet that made one hell of a noise.

What's it off of?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
At first I thought that was a stray zip tie or something and was like "whats the beef?"

:eyepop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

We need to get a cetologist in here to identify the species.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 27, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

That's fuckin' impressive :drat:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

I bet that made one hell of a noise.

What's it off of?

That's a Honda. Just did my sister's '96 CR-V last summer; got to it just before it grenaded.

Congrats on your purchase of a whole new A/C system! Have fun replacing the evaporator!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's off my mom's 02 crv. Second one she's managed to somehow kill in the last few years.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

+ china packages are usually really badly labeled, so they often have to be manually processed.
Actually they usually do a pretty good job of labeling. . .

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Actually they usually do a pretty good job of labeling. . .

I'm the anal butt plug (as opposed to the oral butt plug)

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

nmfree posted:

I'm the anal butt plug (as opposed to the oral butt plug)

You never go rear end to mouth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would you buy sex toys from china? Just buy from adam and eve or whatever other place ships things in a nondescript box with zero labels.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, pretty sure ths advice in the GBS Aliexpress thread is "don't buy anything that plugs into the mains power or goes inside you."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they use the same recycled rubber and plastic they use for other cheapo chinese products, those must smell absolutely terrifying. Every time I open the little box that holds my soldering iron, it smells like a fart died inside another fart.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah, pretty sure ths advice in the GBS Aliexpress thread is "don't buy anything that plugs into the mains power or goes inside you."

Even some USB stuff from there is sketchy as gently caress, so it's not just the mains, it's anything electrical.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillbro Baggins posted:

But what if it does both, do the rules cancel each other out?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Powershift posted:

But what if it does both, do the rules cancel each other out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k
Oddly enough, no!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cojawfee posted:

If they use the same recycled rubber and plastic they use for other cheapo chinese products, those must smell absolutely terrifying. Every time I open the little box that holds my soldering iron, it smells like a fart died inside another fart.

Reminds me of a story one of my IT friends told about getting a shipment of parts from China, and one of her non-IT co-workers walking by, sticking his face full on into the box, taking a huge whiff, and saying, "So THAT'S what China smells like!" before wandering away.

Apparently China smells like farts dying inside other farts.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

A mediocre mechanical failure on a friend's 2012 GTI. It seems that the radiator fan shroud was formed in such a way that the electrical channel made contact with the radiator core. Over the course of 6 years it wore a hole straight through the aluminum.

I'm not 100% certain that there aren't some rubber washers or something missing which would be used to space the assembly out a bit further. You can see how tight the clearances are here. A faint outline of the fan motor can be seen.

So we went the cheap way to repair and did a few applications of my old friend, James Bartholomew Weld.

To prevent recurrance we went a bit overkill. First were a few modifications with the dremel tool.

Then we tacked washers on to the end posts of the radiator to buy us just a bit more space.

We reassemble tomorrow after curing is done. Fingers crossed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

No. 6 posted:

So we went the cheap way to repair and did a few applications of my old friend, James Bartholomew Weld.

JB Weld is not sealant. It does not flex. If the thing you're attaching expands or contracts (I suspect radiators may) then it will crack off. You want high-shear epoxy. Double Bubble Purple is your trick.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Fiberglass Bondo works too

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You might be right, but there's enough tensile strength here to work. I've seen pinhole patches like this work for many years without fail.

Regardless, it's pretty much done now so only time will tell.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Give it to the Aussie goon Toys for rear end Bum, he'll do it. He just got out of hospital recently from fisting a massive buttplug in his arse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Give it to the Aussie goon Toys for rear end Bum, he'll do it. He just got out of hospital recently from fisting a massive buttplug in his arse.

Ahahahahaah what. Tell me there's a thread on this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You Am I posted:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Come again?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

That the same goon that hosed his dick all up by sounding all sorts of insane poo poo or is that somebody else?

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
What the gently caress is going on in this thread.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

mustard_tiger posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread.

Some real poo poo buddy

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Nuevo posted:

That the same goon that hosed his dick all up by sounding all sorts of insane poo poo or is that somebody else?

I think so, he called himself wayne kerr back then.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fo3 posted:

I think so, he called himself wayne kerr back then.

No poo poo, I went to high school with a kid named Wayne Kerr.

His mother was a teacher there as well. He copped endless amounts of poo poo his entire childhood. Should be a law against it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

You Am I posted:

That's definitely a horrible failure.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not car-related, but I worked at a grocery store in college. If you've ever been in a grocery store, you've seen gondola shelving. This stuff:

When you have it one-legged (An L instead of an upside-down T), you're supposed to bolt it to the wall. The discount grocery store I worked at had a "Wall of Valuse" on the entrance aisle, with pallet racks and pallets of loss-leaders on the floor under them (think Home Depot, those big orange things are pallet racks).

They had a one-sided gondola up against the back of that, freestanding, that was the aisle with the deodorant, shampoo, that sort of thing. One time a case of canned beans got pushed off the back of its pallet and hit the back of the gondola.

Whole fuckin' thing went down. Yeah, it made a noise. And a can of Axe deodorant popped when it hit the ground, took off like a rocket across the front end (the tills, for the Brits), and missed a cashier's face by inches.

Also sometimes they move them. Putting an entire 72' aisle of a grocery store on rollerskates isn't sketchy at all:

They use ten-foot prybars, one on each side, to lift it up enough to push the skates under, going from one end to the other until they have them under all the feet, and then somebody stands at each edge of every shelf where the upright/ wheels are, and "1,2,3, PUSH", the repeat the levering to pull the skates out.

And sometimes they'll load one side and forget to put anything on the other, so it's all hands on deck to hold up 72' of, say, wine while people frantically slame shelve into the other side and pile on cases of bottled water to balance it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 30, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also sometimes they move them. Putting an entire 72' aisle of a grocery store on rollerskates isn't sketchy at all:

They use ten-foot prybars, one on each side, to lift it up enough to push the skates under, going from one end to the other until they have them under all the feet, and then somebody stands at each edge of every shelf where the upright/ wheels are, and "1,2,3, PUSH", the repeat the levering to pull the skates out.

And sometimes they'll load one side and forget to put anything on the other, so it's all hands on deck to hold up 72' of, say, wine while people frantically slame shelve into the other side and pile on cases of bottled water to balance it.

Wait. You used actual rollerskates and not dollies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
(Edit: I edited in the correct picture of the skates after you posted. More like luges, really) Yeah, there's companies that all they do is install shelving.The boss of the crew I most often work with is a hoot, one of those guys that you have to think "wait, is he being serious or was that a joke?" every time he opens his mouth.) I never personally used the skates, I rearrange the poo poo on the shelves, but I have occasionally been called upon to push.

Also, sometimes they spin them 90 degrees, going from
code:
|  |  |  |
|  |  |  |

layout to
____
____
____
____
Which is really inviting disaster, and almost always end up at best looking like ~~~~ from a top-down view. So shelves on one side won't fit because the uprights are splayed too far outwards, on the other side you're trying to put a 48"-wide shelf in a 47" hole.

Edit again: Also I can tell that's a WalMart in the first pic just from the shelves, the blue bumpers on the cart confirms. Kroger has similar plastic rails, but stick the tags on the outside. There are basically three big names in gondola shelving, Madix, Lozier, and WalMart's proprietary poo poo. The first two are cross-compatible, Walmart's are built to a weird old standard.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 30, 2018