Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

Ford should just replace their gross looking blue oval with a bold black FORD across the board

Ford didn't even bother with using the blue oval before the early 1980s, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I liked our flex (did a 3 year lease) and I'd consider another one if it got better fuel economy and had some more modern doodads available.

Looked good, was comfortable, and never needed a repair.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

GF and I are going to end up with F-150/Model 3 and an Outback, respectively, before we have our kid(s). So much space.

We just checked out Outbacks and were really disappointed, even coming from a previous Outback that we loved and ended up with a Mazda CX-9 which is lightyears ahead and only a little bigger.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Perhaps, but I'm sick of people justifying their gigantic SUV's they can't even see out of, park or drive properly because MY CHILDREN.

killing my family in a rollover because they were uncomfortable driving an SUV to own the libs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

Also, is there a "loving Dealerships man" thread? Because gently caress everything about the Ford dealership I went to this morning.

There was one but goons gonna goon and drama ensued and they ran off a Good Poster.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

killing my family in a rollover because they were uncomfortable driving an SUV to own the libs

lol if you actually believe this poo poo is relevant to modern CUVs

oh gently caress consumer reports flipped a Samurai while trying back in the 80s and for a while the primitive old Explorers and poo poo had a much higher chance of rollover in the event of a collision, i would never put my family in a death trap like a CX-9, or allow them to wear seatbelts after my best friends uncle had a crash that the police told him he never would have survived if he wasnt thrown free!!!

Why are Internet Car Guys generally so ignorant of the actual engineering and broader industry related to cars?

opengl128 posted:

There was one but goons gonna goon and drama ensued and they ran off a Good Poster.

If you’re talking about Kia salesman guy lol no he was not a Good Poster.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 29, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thats not what i said you fuckstick

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The CX-9 isn’t the problem (aside from being obnoxiously large) it’s the pickup based SUVs (and double cab versions of pickups themselves) that are inappropriate for onroad usage.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wheeee posted:

lol no, this was longer ago. Forget her forum name but she still posts neat stuff on the FB group sometimes.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Wheeee posted:

:saddowns:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

The CX-9 isn’t the problem (aside from being obnoxiously large) it’s the pickup based SUVs (and double cab versions of pickups themselves) that are inappropriate for onroad usage.

Trolling is generally supposed to make the other person look stupid, so you should re-work this post

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Disss is in NZ so they have different vehicles. All our SUVs in North America have gone on to be unibody vehicles.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

Disss is in NZ so they have different vehicles. All our SUVs in North America have gone on to be unibody vehicles.

What?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

We don't really have any body on frame SUVs any more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

We don't really have any body on frame SUVs any more.

Except for the Expedition, Yukon, 4runner, Sequoia, Armada, Wranger, G-class, Lexux GX, Lexus LX, and all the various luxury variants of those vehicles.

Apart from all those, yeah, there's none

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Except for the Expedition, Yukon, 4runner, Sequoia, Armada, Wranger, G-class, Lexux GX, Lexus LX, and all the various luxury variants of those vehicles.

Apart from all those, yeah, there's none

Well I didn't mean literally but I mean like the Ford Explorer is a FWD unibody now. The stuff that most people buy like RAV4s and Hyundai whatever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can’t tell me an Everest or Fortuner is a suitable faintly vehicle. They simply do not handle on road conditions very well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

dissss posted:

You can’t tell me an Everest or Fortuner is a suitable faintly vehicle. They simply do not handle on road conditions very well.

Why yes, that extra few inches of height and BoF construction really impede me from dropping my kids off at school and driving to swim lessons...

You do realize that one of the complaints of the last 20 years is that trucks and SUVs are being designed for on-road driving first, and losing some of their work/off-road capability as a result, right?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I am concerned that 80% of the vehicles on the road are 4000lb - 5000lb high COG CUVS/SUVS that will absolutely flatten my 944 when they blow a red light because they're busy snapchatting or whatever people do these days instead of paying attention to the road. They'll get a dent and my car won't be recognizable as a vehicle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CornHolio posted:

I am concerned that 80% of the vehicles on the road are 4000lb - 5000lb high COG CUVS/SUVS that will absolutely flatten my 944 when they blow a red light because they're busy snapchatting or whatever people do these days instead of paying attention to the road. They'll get a dent and my car won't be recognizable as a vehicle.

I deal with that by driving my miata the way I rode my motorcycles or ride my bicycles: imagine you're invisible to everyone on the road and plan accordingly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

lol no, this was longer ago. Forget her forum name but she still posts neat stuff on the FB group sometimes.

I forget her name too, all I remember was her custom title, "Forum Bicycle"

:v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"goatse guy"

i thought the reference to running off the car salesman was the guy who had the escalade and was a complete apologist for how lovely dealerships and salesmen are. he deleted all his project car posts and never came back.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy and her dealership lap doggo were pretty cool, and I legit miss her

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Goober Peas posted:

goatse guy and her dealership lap doggo were pretty cool, and I legit miss her

She has good taste in dogs and cars. Is a cool person.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dogs are good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Why yes, that extra few inches of height and BoF construction really impede me from dropping my kids off at school and driving to swim lessons...

You do realize that one of the complaints of the last 20 years is that trucks and SUVs are being designed for on-road driving first, and losing some of their work/off-road capability as a result, right?

Let me guess - you haven’t driven one of the aforementioned medium-sized pickup based ‘SUVs’ have you?

The difference between a Fortuner and a Highlander on the road is stark and many people are now inappropriately choosing the former where they really need the latter.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

dissss posted:

Let me guess - you haven’t driven one of the aforementioned medium-sized pickup based ‘SUVs’ have you?

The difference between a Fortuner and a Highlander on the road is stark and many people are now inappropriately choosing the former where they really need the latter.

Well, I’m not Australian, so no, I haven’t.

I have shopped 4Runners and Lexus GXs, though, which are also mid-sized SUVs. They’re fine. Sure, you get a bit more body roll, they accelerate fairly slowly, and don’t corner as well, but their performance is well within the parameters that an average person needs.

Saying they’re completely inappropriate for on-road use is completely asinine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well, I’m not Australian, so no, I haven’t.

I have shopped 4Runners and Lexus GXs, though, which are also mid-sized SUVs. They’re fine. Sure, you get a bit more body roll, they accelerate fairly slowly, and don’t corner as well, but their performance is well within the parameters that an average person needs.

Saying they’re completely inappropriate for on-road use is completely asinine.

The average person parks their corolla in every corner anyway. They drive their sedans like they're a 13 foot tall box truck loaded with fish, so it's not like it matters to the vast majority. As long as they can neglect it like a washing machine and it still starts in the morning, they don't care.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BloodBag posted:

The average person parks their corolla in every corner anyway. They drive their sedans like they're a 13 foot tall box truck loaded with fish, so it's not like it matters to the vast majority. As long as they can neglect it like a washing machine and it still starts in the morning, they don't care.

That's the thing I don't understand about people saying "oh, the poorer handling doesn't matter with a taller vehicle." I mean, obviously it does, because people feel they're unable to corner at a reasonable goddamn speed, and crawl around exits and roundabouts at 20 km/h. Something's giving them that feeling.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like most people aren't getting in their cars/CUVs/SUVs/trucks in the morning and going "strap yourself in and feel the Gs!!!" regardless of how cornering-capable their vehicles are. Whether or not this is a (probably good for just regular driving) learned behavior from driving things that feel unstable when pushed or because people just kinda don't give a poo poo and would rather warp gate to work I can't say.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All the same, these are corners I've taken at speed in a Jeep Wrangler without feeling uncomfortable. I don't get why you'd go to the trouble of pressing the brakes unless you're in something that feels really unstable, or are carrying an aquarium with an open top or some stupid poo poo like that. That's extra work, I'm lazy.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Automotive_News/status/991326676679348231

That seems like a lot

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Something's giving them that feeling.

The 4 year old tires that they paid $35/per for that have 120k miles on them probably don't help much.

I love encountering the mildest curve on interstates. You know, the ones that cause massive backups because there's a <5 degree change in course. I've seen people drop 20mph through them even when there's no other traffic. It's insane.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

All the same, these are corners I've taken at speed in a Jeep Wrangler without feeling uncomfortable. I don't get why you'd go to the trouble of pressing the brakes unless you're in something that feels really unstable, or are carrying an aquarium with an open top or some stupid poo poo like that. That's extra work, I'm lazy.

Could be a lack of attention I guess- kind of a "I'm not focusing enough to know if I can take this curve at speed; better brake just to be sure" type thing

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PT6A posted:

That's the thing I don't understand about people saying "oh, the poorer handling doesn't matter with a taller vehicle." I mean, obviously it does, because people feel they're unable to corner at a reasonable goddamn speed, and crawl around exits and roundabouts at 20 km/h. Something's giving them that feeling.
Put those same people/drivers in a Miata and they'd still corner at 5mph.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Put those same people/drivers in a Miata and they'd still corner at 5mph.

Oh my, I’m so close to the ground and everything just looks so fast!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt so I don't road rage myself to an early grave, so I just imagine that everyone taking turns slowly is transporting a potted plant in the back seat.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There are plenty of people out there who feel like they're cornering too fast if they can feel any perceptible g-forces.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

There are plenty of people out there who feel like they're cornering too fast if they can feel any perceptible g-forces.

Anytime my mom used to ride with me she would hang on for dear life any time I cornered at more than a full stop, yelling JESUS CHRIST the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is me posting the anecdote about leading off the line in a kei van next to AMGs and Maseratis. Sometimes even G Wagens!
Can't wait to see how my times improve with an AZ-1 :c00l: