Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

edit: i'm stupid, i was looking at another leica review

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Most people I run into who own the digital Leica's own them because of the brand name. I understand the want for them when shooting film, and I was searching for a Minolta rangefinder myself for all of the convenience and quirkiness that rangefinders have, but as soon as you slap a massive LCD on the back then what's the point of one over any other mirrorless?

They look cool, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone owning one because they like Leica, as I myself own a lot of Minolta gear because I like Minolta, but you're not getting anything special picture wise in the age of modern digital sensors and lens adaptors.

e: one thing the M10 doesn't have, which a lot of other cameras do, is image stabilisation, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

Most people I run into who own the digital Leica's own them because of the brand name. I understand the want for them when shooting film, and I was searching for a Minolta rangefinder myself for all of the convenience and quirkiness that rangefinders have, but as soon as you slap a massive LCD on the back then what's the point of one over any other mirrorless?

This is my question as well.

No IS at the price point the M10 commands is disappointing, but as long as that and price are the only cons, it is not a deal killer. Of course I would much prefer a cheaper body with similar sensor specs and put more money toward lenses that (1) are reasonably compact and (2) are sharp to the corners. I would be as happy as a clam if I could take the lens they used in the dpreview test shot for the M10 and mate it with a Samsung NX500 (or similarly cheap but capable camera) without degrading the image quality.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Another set of questions, a direct result of procrastinating when I really should be writing a letter of recommendation this weekend ...

How do people in this thread compare cameras? I see dpreview has a large image database that lets you compare two cameras side-by-side using the same reference subject. Is it fair to compare cameras this way? While doing this, I noticed that I really like the image that the Leica M10 produces. It has also gotten a favorable review at dxomark.

I'm daydreaming about a compact camera that I would mostly use for landscapes.

To use my recent decision-making process as an example of what Helen Highwater said:

First I had one of the Canon Rebels. It was good, but after a few years I was running into limits on what I could do, so I upgraded to a 60D - better image quality from a newer sensor and processor, faster buffer for sports, and also having better body controls.

I've had it for six years, and it's served me well, but I wanted something smaller to carry around more often. Big DSLRs have a purpose but they're not exactly pocket sized, right? I looked at Fuji's cameras, learned a bit about that system, but also checked out Canon's EOS-M series as well. And while the EOS-M may not be perfect, as somebody in the Canon landscape already, it wound up being a good choice.

-Small size, but has very good controls and decent image quality (unless you want to shoot action, which I don't)
-Combined with the small EOS-M 22mm lens it fits in just about any bag
-For ~$100 the adapter lets you use standard EF lenses

Is it the best mirrorless camera on the market? No way. Does it fit my specific needs? Absolutely. And that's made me really happy with photography again :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

This seems like it would meet all my needs, wondering if anyone else has other opinions on what they like: https://www.amazon.com/Ikan-IBG-EXP-Explorer-Bag-Green/dp/B004L8Y1VG

That's actually a pretty unique bag because it has loops down the center you could use to lash a tripod to.. a harder to find feature than you'd think. Most have loops along the sides or underneath which I guess most people are okay with, but I like my load balanced and stuff not hitting me in the rear end.

Other than that I got nothing to say about it, never owned one.

My current bag is a dakine sequence and I love the hell out of it. I had to fashion my own tripod storage but it holds all my poo poo (including tamron's 150-600) and is usable for everything from day hikes to week long vacations (though to pull that off you're gonna be pulling the camera insert out and stuffing your clothes in there).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

*Unfortunately, the RAW image of the M10 contains no lens information, so I don't know if the lens would be compatible on a different body (the much less expensive Samsung NX500 for example). How would I go about finding out what lens was used?

Clicking the info button on the page showed that the Leica used a LEICA APO-Summicron M90 ASPH lens, so $5k for the lens and another $7k for the M10 body. :popeye:

Yeah, a Sony a6500 (or A7R III) will suit me just fine.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 1, 2018

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently bought the Lowepro fastpack 250 AW II.
The fastpack line is horizontally divided in half, with a top compartment for general stuff and a bottom padded one for photo gear, with velcro inserts etc.
There is a 150 size and i believe a 350 as well.

Ima bit of a packrat and bring a lot of stuff with me wherever i go so a roomy backpack that also has room for like water bottle, passport, some food suits me perfectly.
TheFP 250 has room for a camera, 70-200, 24-70, 85 1.4, and multiple rectangular things like drone batteries, portable hd, mobile charger, etc.

The FP 250 also has room for a laptop and an ipad.

I also have a similar backpack in an earlier fastpack line that lets you remove the horizontal divider, something the FP 250 doesn't let you do. I use this one primarily for carrying a 600mm attached to a camera. I am glad i got the 250 as it is a lot more roomy + being able to bring a laptop is great.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I own a lowepro protactic 450AW and its been incredibly good to me, the fact that the dividers are all completely removable and reconfigurable is great and the rain cover has saved my rear end multiple times. Only downside is that my tripod is an old Manfrotto proB, and while the tripod straps can carry it the tripod itself is way too big to be pleasant hanging off the side of my pack.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
The lowepro 450 seems like the end-all of backpacks, which is tempting. How good is the rain protection that it appears to come with? I also see a lot of $100ish listings from China, is that common with these kinds of bags?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I have one and way prefer my 9 year old think tank streetwalker. The Lowepro is fine but its main zippers always get caught on the lining and I think it would be better with some bigger external pockets instead of the molle attachment stuff. I like the main compartment access options on the Lowepro but overall think tank makes a much nicer bag IMO.

All that said, the rain fly works fine and I’ve used it a lot even though I find it annoying. Everyone I work with seems to be super impressed with it so maybe I’m just weird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just having looked at packs, I ended up going with a vanguard Alta rise 48. Has more than enough room for my wedding gear and still space for some small personal items as well. I checked it out in store then ordered through a friend who runs a store. Everything else was either too small, too expensive, or only held camera gear with no non camera gear storage. I had a hard time making a decision. Part of me debated going with a carry on style rolling bag but backpacks have always been more useful to me.

Also, after having my gear stolen, I likely won't be collecting as much crap and will run a leaner kit from now on. Body/grip, flash, triggers, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85 1.4, and maybe a 12-24 or 50 prime.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 30, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I used to own many Lowepro products, but I found Thinktank and never went back.

They're built (imo) better, and I abuse the ever loving poo poo out of mine 5 days a week.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

Just having looked at packs, I ended up going with a vanguard Alta rise 48. Has more than enough room for my wedding gear and still space for some small personal items as well. I checked it out in store then ordered through a friend who runs a store. Everything else was either too small, too expensive, or only held camera gear with no non camera gear storage. I had a hard time making a decision. Part of me debated going with a carry on style rolling bag but backpacks have always been more useful to me.

Where did you go to check out camera bags? There's a local place not far from me, but they didn't have much for selection. Maybe there's a chain I'm not thinking of

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Drunk Badger posted:

Where did you go to check out camera bags? There's a local place not far from me, but they didn't have much for selection. Maybe there's a chain I'm not thinking of

I live in Seattle so Glazer camera. They seem like the only/biggest place around. When I lived in Chicago, there were tons of places They stock most of the big names/styles you are going to see on B&H/Adorama (Thinktank, Manfrotto, LowePro, Vanguard, Tenba, Mindshift, Tamrac etc). Prices were pretty standard compared to what you see online. Their store is close to my office so I was able to walk over on my lunch break and look around. Its got that new photography store feel to it where everything is clearly newly built and they planned the layout for their business versus a shop thats been in the same space for 100 years and has merchandise piled on top of one another.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Verman posted:

I live in Seattle so Glazer camera. They seem like the only/biggest place around. When I lived in Chicago, there were tons of places They stock most of the big names/styles you are going to see on B&H/Adorama (Thinktank, Manfrotto, LowePro, Vanguard, Tenba, Mindshift, Tamrac etc). Prices were pretty standard compared to what you see online. Their store is close to my office so I was able to walk over on my lunch break and look around. Its got that new photography store feel to it where everything is clearly newly built and they planned the layout for their business versus a shop thats been in the same space for 100 years and has merchandise piled on top of one another.

Kenmore camera just north of the city has a better bag selection imo. Also yeah Glazers just built that space a year or two ago. It used to be much more cramped.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I dunno about their camera bags but I use thinktanks for my multirotors and they’re pretty great.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just bought a new old lens.

It is large.

I'm excited.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So what case should I get for this X-T2? I would love a hard leather case that covers the lens too but since I'm using the 35mm f/1.4 that's probably not going to be possible right? Also looking for a good screen protector, the LCD already has a few scratches.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Any of the screen protectors you find on an amazon search are fine. Camera case i dont know.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Can I ask software questions here?

I'm in the market for a new camera, and I have a Sony A7RIII in mind. Unfortunately, my version of Camera Raw version does not support Sony's raw format. I have no issues paying for software, but I'm not doing subscriptions.

1. Can I use Sony's software to export raw files?
2. If so, do I miss out on anything by not using Adobe Camera Raw for the raw export?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Pretty sure there is still Capture One free for Sony users with some features disabled or full version cheaper for Sony users if you are open for some change.
Just try, it's 30-days fully featured trial.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Adobe do a free DNG converter so you can always use that to get a raw in to any older software (that supports DNG).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

I have no issues paying for software, but I'm not doing subscriptions.

If you can afford an a7riii, you can afford the :10bux: a month creative cloud photography plan.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

akadajet posted:

If you can afford an a7riii, you can afford the :10bux: a month creative cloud photography plan.

I didn't say that I can't afford it. I just don't want to deal with it.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Adobe do a free DNG converter so you can always use that to get a raw in to any older software (that supports DNG).

Sony uses ARW.

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Pretty sure there is still Capture One free for Sony users with some features disabled or full version cheaper for Sony users if you are open for some change.
Just try, it's 30-days fully featured trial.

And the full version does raw development just like Adobe Raw? I lose zero functionality?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Reposting my question from the Stupid/Small Questions thread:

My Question
Response 1
Response 2
My Replies

To further add to this, they're mainly into taking instagram photos. They've got a sizeable (1,000 or so) following across two separate pages: one focuses on food (sort of like a food blog) as they hope to one day open a restaurant so they're big into the food scene. Their main account is just documenting their daily travels and stuff. I appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to help an absolute scrub through the confusing world that is all-things-camera-related.

I've known them for about 8 years, and they've always been very passionate when it came to photography. They've just never had the finances to back the hobby up properly. Figured it'd make a sickass gift to make up for their past 4 birthdays I've missed.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 2, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any monopod recommendations?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

you can afford the :10bux: a month creative cloud photography plan.

This gets said every single time somebody says "what's out there besides Lightroom?" and it's annoying. It's not an answer, it's just you saying "I like Adobe". I simply do not like the entire subscription business plan that Adobe has discovered. It's entirely subjective and idiosyncratic to me, but I'm not alone in prefering to buy a thing once and be done with it rather than pay repeatedly. It's a point vs. a line, and I prefer the point.

Adobe dominates all things photo-post-processing, but it's not a total monopoly, it's not the only game in town.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Qubee posted:

To further add to this, they're mainly into taking instagram photos. They've got a sizeable (1,000 or so) following across two separate pages: one focuses on food (sort of like a food blog) as they hope to one day open a restaurant so they're big into the food scene. Their main account is just documenting their daily travels and stuff. I appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to help an absolute scrub through the confusing world that is all-things-camera-related.

I've known them for about 8 years, and they've always been very passionate when it came to photography. They've just never had the finances to back the hobby up properly. Figured it'd make a sickass gift to make up for their past 4 birthdays I've missed.

Instagram is a very spur-of-the-moment thing, so I would look for a camera with a wifi-hotspot mode to let you pull photos directly over to the phone and then suck them into instagram (can you do that with just generic photos sitting on the phone?), skipping the computer part of the workflow entirely. A small, portable camera would be better, so I'd say look for something M4/3 with that wifi functionality, the bodies and cameras tend to be on the cheap side.

I know some NEX cameras have that wifi-hotspot functionality but I'm not as familiar with the M4/3 system, so maybe DJExile or someone can chime in with a suggestion. The selection of lenses is much better on M4/3 for sure. If worse comes to worst you should be able to import photos to most phones using USB OTG over a physical cable, but that's not as elegant.

(note that most M4/3 cameras will not technically be DSLRs, they will be MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens Cameras). Basic models will only have a screen on back, but you can also find them with electronic viewfinders that work the same way as a DSLR. The sensors will be just as good as DSLRs and they will be more compact since you don't need space for the viewfinder or mirrorbox.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 2, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

This gets said every single time somebody says "what's out there besides Lightroom?" and it's annoying. It's not an answer, it's just you saying "I like Adobe". I simply do not like the entire subscription business plan that Adobe has discovered. It's entirely subjective and idiosyncratic to me, but I'm not alone in prefering to buy a thing once and be done with it rather than pay repeatedly. It's a point vs. a line, and I prefer the point.

Adobe dominates all things photo-post-processing, but it's not a total monopoly, it's not the only game in town.

I'm happy we are on the same page. Any recommendations? Again, I just need the capability to export raw files. I'll happily use Adobe PS CS6 for processing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

theHUNGERian posted:

I'm happy we are on the same page. Any recommendations? Again, I just need the capability to export raw files. I'll happily use Adobe PS CS6 for processing.

http://briansmith.com/raw-support-sony-a7r-iii/

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've never played with file formats - I shoot Pentax and the raw files are DNG, which everything seems able to handle. What are you trying to do? Convert files from one form of RAW to another form of RAW?
I've looked into software to replace my very-old edition of Lightroom, and I've been using Corel Aftershot 2.0. That's also rather out of date and as soon as I feel like spending $70 is what I want to do I'll dive into the current version, 3.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

theHUNGERian posted:

You can still buy Lightroom as a standalone package.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/19/adobe-releases-final-standalone-version-lightroom/

quote:

Lightroom 6 may not be compatible with future cameras’ raw files. If you’re intent on sticking with Lightroom 6, though, there’s a path forward for you: future cameras will be supported for Lightroom 6 and other legacy Adobe software using the free Adobe DNG converter.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

quote:

The Adobe DNG Converter enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files from supported cameras to a more universal DNG raw file. Another great benefit of using the DNG Converter is backward compatibility.

spog fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 2, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Perfect, thank you!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Qubee posted:

Did some looking and it looks like there's a couple SD cards that support a hotspot mode to transfer to phones, the Toshiba FlashAir and the EyeFi mobi. So that part is easy to replicate.

https://lifehacker.com/the-toshiba-flashair-makes-adding-wi-fi-to-your-camera-1754703258

FYI, camera gear wears really well and you'll get a lot more for your money buying used. You can buy midrange gear that's in like-new condition for the same price you'll pay for new-in-box basic gear, and the midrange gear has a lot better image quality/build quality/features. Up to you, but most serious photographers buy used, much like a car the first person to drive it off the lot pays a big premium. Stuff that's like one generation behind current goes for like half the price of current-gen stuff.

Again, I don't really know M4/3 all that well but that would be the system I'd aim for given the use-case/price range here. M4/3 gear tends to be cheaper and more compact than most other systems (it's only useful if they carry it), without too much loss of quality. Since it's a single standard that's shared by like five companies there's a really good selection of lenses and bodies.

I seem to remember Olympus bodies being pretty highly regarded, so I'd look at something like the OM-D E-M5. Since that body has in-body image stabilization you don't need to worry about that on the lenses, and Olympus weather-sealing is supposed to be really good which is nice for travel (although you will need weather-sealed lenses to fully complete that). There are also more compact options like the PEN series, which may be nice with a pancake lens as they will be getting into the "pocketable" range, but you are giving up that viewfinder (using only the screen on back).

I'm not a M4/3 guy so maybe DJExile or someone may be able to chime in with better recommendations, but in generalities here's what I'd recommend. Here's what prices look like. Generally, you'll want a basic zoom "kit lens" (14-45 or something similar) particularly for travel. A fixed aperture is nice but is going to be out of your price range here, unless you only buy that lens. The other basic lens you want is a normal or wide-normal fixed (prime) lens, which will be something in the 17 to 25mm range for Olympus. For convenience, a pancake lens is nice - like that Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or 17mm f/2.8 Zuiko. Less compact choices would be the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 or Sigma 19mm f2.8. For food photography you also probably want a macro lens, but a dedicated macro lens is probably going to be out of your budget (again, unless you buy only that lens), so I would try and make sure whatever "kit lens" you buy has a good close-focus capability. However, that's usually going to directly work against compactness.

On the "it's only useful if they carry it" note, you may also want to get them a small satchel to carry the camera and maybe one spare lens.

(KEH EX quality is basically "was once touched by an ungloved hand", the equivalent of eBay LIKE NEW MINT+++ condition)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 2, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I too jumped on a boxed copy of 6 and was frustrated it still requires the cloud app but, it works fine.

To the point- who else has the feature set of Lightroom especially DAM? I remember the bad old days of Aldus/Corel/Adobe+Extensis and don’t especially like the prospects of going back to a mess of tools. C1 has stuck to just processing yea? What’s out there?
SaaS isn’t going away so I’m going to end up biting the bullet eventually, I imagine, but I won’t like it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Startyde posted:

I too jumped on a boxed copy of 6 and was frustrated it still requires the cloud app but, it works fine.

To the point- who else has the feature set of Lightroom especially DAM? I remember the bad old days of Aldus/Corel/Adobe+Extensis and don’t especially like the prospects of going back to a mess of tools. C1 has stuck to just processing yea? What’s out there?
SaaS isn’t going away so I’m going to end up biting the bullet eventually, I imagine, but I won’t like it.

But the cloud app does not require a subscription, right? I just install it, and perhaps I have to sign in whenever I used LR6, but it's all a one-time fee. What happens when i don't have internet? Can I still use LR6?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

poo poo I had to call support to be able to download my LR5 copy.

Aperture is ok as an alternate editing platform but I haven’t used it in a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Soulex posted:

Aperture is ok as an alternate editing platform but I haven’t used it in a bit.
Aperture is dead at this point and basically isn't worth endorsing.

I'm not sure it even runs on modern macOS anymore.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 2, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Makes sense. Haven’t used it in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Aperture is dead at this point and basically isn't worth endorsing.

I'm not sure it even runs on modern macOS anymore.

It does but it has been out of support for years now. Apple were going to roll the functionality of Aperture into their Photos app, but AFAICT this never happened (I used to use Aperture as my primary editing app and I still use a Mac for my photo workflow).