Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I seriously bought my copy of V off eBay because Play-Asia was out of stock and had no ETA and it ended up costing me less money to get it from some big eBay seller than it would have to buy it new released in an actual GameStop here. Not a bad way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Ge9D9W60s

I am exceedingly pleased this was an option. (SRWX spoilers but only for one of the anime bosses.)

If you don't put the Extra Arms on Catherine the instant you get them you are an enemy of justice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

If you don't put the Extra Arms on Catherine the instant you get them you are an enemy of justice.

I love the Extra Arm so much. There are so many units it benefits in hilarious ways.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What is the Extra Arm? I don't remember a part by that name in V.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Prism posted:

It sets the Mech's most damaging attack to 5500 damage. No effect if the attack already has more power than that.

It helps substantially beef up some support units and make them pretty good in combat.

It can even beef up a bunch of Real main characters considering how early you get it. The G-Self got a 700 point damage boost on its dual saber attack for like 7 chapters before it finally got a not-weak as poo poo finisher for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

It sets the strongest attack a unit has to 5500 damage (unless it's higher in which case it does nothing.)

This is super useful for a lot of units but largely the mook units that only have a few attacks because it turns what is usually a cheap/spammable attack with lower power into something super powerhouse. The Gratin is an obvious choice (5500 is more damage on Charge than it gets even fully upgraded) but a lot of the G-Reco units for example benefit strongly because they only have two attacks and the second is usually something spammable as hell.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

markgreyam posted:

If I've already got Moon Dwellers and G-Generation Genesis and no money for V or X at the moment then which one goes in first?

Ah, the no money for a new game but I got old games I've never touched blues. I know the feeling. Between the two, I'd say MD because it's built around a story campaign so all the little tactical choices you can make have merit over just grinding. But that's just, like, my personal opinion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So X is cool and I mostly like it but uh, I'm not sure I like this weird Boy/Girl/Bird love triangle the game is trying to push here. Spero's turning into a real weirdo creep about it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Policenaut posted:

I seriously bought my copy of V off eBay because Play-Asia was out of stock and had no ETA and it ended up costing me less money to get it from some big eBay seller than it would have to buy it new released in an actual GameStop here. Not a bad way to go.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to do the same with X.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I have been enjoying the game so far (15 chapters in), and I got to say I like how Iori is more engaged with the overall plot, in contrast to V. Soji just seemed to be a tagalong who worked with Nine, and was often the butt of jokes. I like the dynamic he brings as the sort of guide to Al-Warth, and isn't afraid to get involved.

His dynamic with Spero is interesting in that while they have the same goal, there's a bit of a personality conflict between the two of them that isn't just fueled by one of them being a complete poo poo-head. Though, Spero has also been giving off some ominous vibes and lines for a while. I'll wait to see how that develops.

I also really like Wataru, and how his good-naturedness seems to rub off on others, including Ange. No one wants to disappoint this kid, and he honestly does feel like the center of X-Cross.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wokow6 posted:

I have been enjoying the game so far (15 chapters in), and I got to say I like how Iori is more engaged with the overall plot, in contrast to V. Soji just seemed to be a tagalong who worked with Nine, and was often the butt of jokes. I like the dynamic he brings as the sort of guide to Al-Warth, and isn't afraid to get involved.

His dynamic with Spero is interesting in that while they have the same goal, there's a bit of a personality conflict between the two of them that isn't just fueled by one of them being a complete poo poo-head. Though, Spero has also been giving off some ominous vibes and lines for a while. I'll wait to see how that develops.

I also really like Wataru, and how his good-naturedness seems to rub off on others, including Ange. No one wants to disappoint this kid, and he honestly does feel like the center of X-Cross.

Using Wataru as the focus was really clever because Wataru is an everyman JRPG protagonist type and by making him the 'hero' and allowing the original to be in the know and informed and aware of things they help sell them a bit better.

I also just genuinely like how Xelguard's thing is being a supporting robot. That isn't to say it can't deal out huge amounts of damage but its biggest advantage isn't damage but in making other people deal more damage. The Dogmas are a fun system that really helps make it feel distinctive and useful without just giving it bigger numbers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The single space after an apostrophe for contractions is annoying the heck out of me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
For the main characters of X, how are people feeling about Iori and Amari?

In V, I picked Chitose because Soji looked boring as hell. But here, I am still undecided if I’ll go with Iori or Amari.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MechaX posted:

For the main characters of X, how are people feeling about Iori and Amari?

In V, I picked Chitose because Soji looked boring as hell. But here, I am still undecided if I’ll go with Iori or Amari.

I've been playing as Amari and its been pretty good overall, but I'm really not a huge fan of how her relationship with Spero develops. He falls in love with her and its just awkward and bad since they put in a bunch of comedy scenes where he does the bullshit 'you are my rival in love!!!!' stuff with another character and its just cringe inducing.

Iori sounds more interesting as the protag tbh from what other people have posted.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like Amari herself but the Spero stuff is kind of baffling and I'm wondering if they're going somewhere with it, because I'm getting an undertone of "haha this bird is immature and does not understand emotions so he's taking all the girls giving him poo poo seriously."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also really not a fan of the mid-game 'twist' with the OCs

They are actually brainwashed high schoolers from real world Japan :rolleyes:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I picked Chitose in V so I went with Iori first in X. I like him so far and he has some interesting developments pretty early on. Spero is kind of hit or miss, didn't realize he was gonna be so similar to Nine, just with the weird double standard that Nine was newly made and a girl and knew nothing of love, yet Spero's a new magic birb dude himself but is already a feathered Mineta (exaggeration). He hasn't called anyone his rival in love yet but he keeps offering to make every woman he meets a new set of clothes if they want??? My Magical Sewing Bird.

This is all based on me being about 16 missions in, for reference.

Zore posted:

Also really not a fan of the mid-game 'twist' with the OCs

They are actually brainwashed high schoolers from real world Japan :rolleyes:

Lol oh poo poo this makes total sense but haven't gotten there yet.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 30, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Iori is good, but he doesn't have Take It Easy written on his jacket. Spero doesn't want to gently caress anyone on the Iori route so far, but its still early days! Iori just wants to discover The Truth and be a good sorcerer boy while being a little "yes, yes, we all know how this thing goes" when a standard plot beat happens.

edit: The N-Nautilus makes everyone look like they have a stutter dangit

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 30, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Spero is a really good character on Iori's route. Spero has no interest in loving or falling in love with anyone this route; he's out to learn new things and experience new sensations for some mysterious purpose, and Iori is the vehicle he has chosen to help him achieve that. He's a smug, condescending prick who comes off as too smart and self-superior by far to most of the cast, and all of the characters who are experienced with intrigue(Ange, Lelouch, etc) initially don't trust him at all while all the naive children(Wataru, etc) love him.

He and Iori have friction, bicker, and trade insults constantly but are important to each other and work together when the chips are down because they both need each other. One of Xelguard's upgrades features the two of them syncing up in perfect harmony to learn a new move to beat up a villain and literally the moment they crash through the villain's mech and come out the other side they're immediately trading lame insults with each other again while everyone else stares in disbelief about how they can work so well together despite their personalities.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ChrisBTY posted:

poo poo. I thought avoiding international shipping costs would make the game 'less' expensive.
Feeling like I set up this SEA account for nothing.

And either way Playasia is not accepting my credit card for reasons unknown to me.

Try calling your bank, I had to whitelist play asia many years ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm so mad I won't get Cybuster at the start of the game when I finally manage to get it. Why isn't it part of the big dlc package!?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Simon's got a line break error in one his battle things about striking first! Its me I'm the QC guy from hell

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Simon's got a line break error in one his battle things about striking first! Its me I'm the QC guy from hell

One of the early Buddy Complex enemy bosses does too. Can't remember his name, black robot with a large gun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There are a few other errors I noticed, like Judau having a "You is going down!" as one of his generic battle quotes, but overall the translation definitely feels tighter than V overall where it felt like every other character had a really weird error slip through somewhere.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

Iori is good, but he doesn't have Take It Easy written on his jacket. Spero doesn't want to gently caress anyone on the Iori route so far, but its still early days! Iori just wants to discover The Truth and be a good sorcerer boy while being a little "yes, yes, we all know how this thing goes" when a standard plot beat happens.

edit: The N-Nautilus makes everyone look like they have a stutter dangit

It's mostly the same deal in Amari's route to begin with. The personal stuff doesn't start until the second big Xelguard event.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

Spero is a really good character on Iori's route. Spero has no interest in loving or falling in love with anyone this route; he's out to learn new things and experience new sensations for some mysterious purpose, and Iori is the vehicle he has chosen to help him achieve that. He's a smug, condescending prick who comes off as too smart and self-superior by far to most of the cast, and all of the characters who are experienced with intrigue(Ange, Lelouch, etc) initially don't trust him at all while all the naive children(Wataru, etc) love him.

He and Iori have friction, bicker, and trade insults constantly but are important to each other and work together when the chips are down because they both need each other. One of Xelguard's upgrades features the two of them syncing up in perfect harmony to learn a new move to beat up a villain and literally the moment they crash through the villain's mech and come out the other side they're immediately trading lame insults with each other again while everyone else stares in disbelief about how they can work so well together despite their personalities.

Yeah, Spero starts like this on Amari's route (though she mostly doormats while he walks all over her instead of trading insults). Her arc is learning to stand up for herself etc which is handled pretty well, but Spero goes really weird into 'I LOVE YOU' territory and it sucks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One thing I will say is that I always thought, and still do, that for (chapter 9) Denkousekka being defined by being the Dogma that the protagonist creates for themselves, it seems like it fits Iori way better than Amari.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Caphi posted:

One thing I will say is that I always thought, and still do, that for (chapter 9) Denkousekka being defined by being the Dogma that the protagonist creates for themselves, it seems like it fits Iori way better than Amari.

Agree, and that move owns.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah it totally sold me on Xelguard except the next one is even better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Xelguard has some amazing animations.

One other oddity is that despite all the moves being the same, Amari's version are all ranged (except the first) and Iori's are all melee (except the first).

Mechanically this moderately benefits Amari since you're drowning in people who want melee stuff, but almost no one outside of grunt/secondary suits really uses a ton of ranged attacks.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Knowing nothing about Mashin Wataru I didnt think I would care about it in the slightest when this was announced but these these dudes are great and Kurama is cool. I thought this kid would be dumb and annoying but he is good and fun actually.

Its also neat that the OG isnt just another clueless person who gets all the exposition thrown at them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite animation in this game is whenever Shibaraku misses an attack. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Outside of Xelguard, Wataru and Mazinkaiser a lot of the new mechs are a step down from V animation-wise I feel.

The Wing boys and Hi-nu especially seem pretty :effort: and even some stuff like Ange's changed High Mobility Attack looks worse than the version they had in V.

The Hi-Nu really bums me out because the Nu's attacks and animation are rad as hell.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Minor editing issue but it seems that in the DLC scenarios every instance of 'Cham' shows up as 'Chum'. I giggle to myself every time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryoga posted:

Minor editing issue but it seems that in the DLC scenarios every instance of 'Cham' shows up as 'Chum'. I giggle to myself every time.

Most of the Dunbine people have their names changed in the DLC and I have no idea why.

The DLC is really good, by the way. I cannot recommend it enough. It's got some of the best conversations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I had enough Singapore dollars left over from purchases that I could buy some of the DLC. I’ve been playing on my main account. Is there a way to make the DLC playable without starting the game over on my Asian account?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

The Hi-Nu really bums me out because the Nu's attacks and animation are rad as hell.

No kidding. I've been watching animation videos (I'll get the game eventually...first I'd need to get paid and get an international credit card...) and I was amazed at how good the Nu looked, I hadn't enjoyed a Fin Funnel animation since Z2 and there it was, even with that Last Shooting, amazing. And then the Hi-Nu...isn't nearly as good, despite how you'd expect it to be a straight upgrade even in that. I was disappointed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

To be fair the Nu is in literally every recent console game. They’ve had the time to really refine its animations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You could put someone else in the Hi-Nu? If you get the secret, Sirbine actually works better with Todd or Marvel and leaving Sho in Billbine since Sirbine is almost as boring either way while only Sho can Aura Shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ethiser posted:

I had enough Singapore dollars left over from purchases that I could buy some of the DLC. I’ve been playing on my main account. Is there a way to make the DLC playable without starting the game over on my Asian account?

The DLC should work fine on your main account with no problems, I haven't had any with the DLC I've downloaded for the two other SEA games I have(G Generation Genesis, and Gundam Breaker 3)

• Locked thread