Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

the idea being the bounty is 10k credits, right? and greedo says, "he may only take your ship?" which sorta carries with it the implication that han would be getting off light by jabba just taking his ship

if the falcon were worth more than 10k jabba would be perfectly fine taking it as payment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Waffles Inc. posted:

the idea being the bounty is 10k credits, right? and greedo says, "he may only take your ship?" which sorta carries with it the implication that han would be getting off light by jabba just taking his ship

if the falcon were worth more than 10k jabba would be perfectly fine taking it as payment

Greedo doesn't say that the bounty is 10k. as far as I remember no one says that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm not sure we should interpret either of being pressured by a gangster or taunted by a bounty hunter as a dispassionate business transaction based on fair market value. Han certainly doesn't react to losing his ship as a good deal for getting out of this jam.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Greedo says the bounty is so large that every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be going after Han. Ergo the Falcon is a very expensive ship worth slightly less than galactic john wick money.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Greedo is a punk who gets taken out by a guy three feet away with a gun pointed at his chest. I don't think he's pulling in that John Wick money.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

olives black posted:

Greedo doesn't say that the bounty is 10k. as far as I remember no one says that.

Han wants 10,000, and then is thrilled when Obi-Wan offers 17,000: “This could really save my neck.” Then he is confronted by Greedo, and Han says he's got the money to pay Jabba now.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Zoran posted:

Han wants 10,000, and then is thrilled when Obi-Wan offers 17,000: “This could really save my neck.” Then he is confronted by Greedo, and Han says he's got the money to pay Jabba now.

gently caress

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The money han solo is bartering for is not to pay off his own bounty but to cover the cost of the shipment he dumped.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Jerkface posted:

The money han solo is bartering for is not to pay off his own bounty but to cover the cost of the shipment he dumped.

Exactly. The bounty is Jabba's way of telling the rest of the underworld that you don't dump Jabba's product and get away with it. At that point it's not about the money, it's a way for Jabba to maintain his position and stature in organized crime.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I thought in some legends cannon bullshit the whole parsec thing was explained that to do the Kessel run it was measured in distance from point a to b and it was only known to be reachable through a certain route, but Han found a way in some ridiculous fashion to go through a wormhole or asteroid-like field or nebula previously thought impossible (thus his confidence in Empire Strikes Back for going through the asteroid field).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SimonCat posted:

Exactly. The bounty is Jabba's way of telling the rest of the underworld that you don't dump Jabba's product and get away with it. At that point it's not about the money, it's a way for Jabba to maintain his position and stature in organized crime.

Yea and the bounty is john wick money!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

I thought in some legends cannon bullshit the whole parsec thing was explained that to do the Kessel run it was measured in distance from point a to b and it was only known to be reachable through a certain route, but Han found a way in some ridiculous fashion to go through a wormhole or asteroid-like field or nebula previously thought impossible (thus his confidence in Empire Strikes Back for going through the asteroid field).

that's dumb nerd poo poo that misses the point entirely

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's all moot anyway because in a month Solo is probably gonna show that it is, in fact, some dumb bullshit like the wormhole thing and Han was being 100% truthful

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jivjov posted:

Some people are okay with Dead or Alive, and some might even prefer Dead

Sometimes, dead is better.

The Mandalorians knew that. They stopped using that burial ground when the ground went sour.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

10,000 is the amount Han charges Obiwan in the earlier scene - because, implicitly, that’s the amount Han owes Jabba.

Now, the Greedo scene is another example of where fans don’t really pay attention. Greedo gives Han two contradictory explanations for why he’s holding Han at gunpoint:

1) Greedo is officially there as a debt collector. Jabba sent him to bring Han in for negotiations - not to kill Han. Although Han owes 10,000 credits, Jabba will likely settle with just taking the Falcon as repayment. That’s why, when Han makes excuses, Greedo says “you can tell that to Jabba.”

This is apparently a common occurrence: “this time, I’ve got the money.” Han is not a good smuggler. He keeps losing shipments, and Jabba has been slowly milking him dry. Now the Falcon is all Han has left.

2) Greedo is personally trying to scam Han into giving him the 10,000, by claiming that Jabba is really, really irrationally pissed off. “If you give [the money] to me, I might forget I found you.”

The entire thing about the bounty hunters is a fabrication; Greedo is trying to scare Han with bullshit. But Greedo is stupid - if Jabba were pissed about losing money, why would he pay out an additional massive reward just to kill Han? If Greedo can get a massive reward just by killing Han, why settle for a mere 10,000? The answer, again, is that Greedo’s lying.

So it’s conclusive: Han shot first, to protect the Falcon from a debt collector. And, oh well, the debt collector was an idiot scammer anyways. That’s why Han doesn’t feel bad about it.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 30, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And what about the scene with Jabba at the docking bay?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Edit: Lol it's that scene.

Until they retcon'd in all the bounty hunters in the digital re-release version around Jabba so it looks exactly the scene with Vader surrounded by all the bounty hunters in ESB.

10,000 is kinda established as not much money too, the falcon is repeatedly stated to be a trash ship.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

And what about the scene with Jabba at the docking bay?

I haven’t been talking about the SE, because that’s a whole other situation.

That scene is why the film was infamously changed so that Greedo shoots first. Fans have speculated that it was to secure a lower rating, or that Lucas is pure evil or something.

The truth is that Greedo shoots first because, in the Special Edition, Greedo is no longer lying - he actually is there to kill Han. He actually believes there is a bounty.

But Greedo was set up: Jabba assumed Han would kill him, because the whole thing was a negotiating tactic. Jabba shows that he’s serious, and Han promises to pay an extra 1500. Both of them leave satisfied.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't wait for the Bounty Hunter anthology movie which prominently features Boba Fett and Greedo being BAMFs because they're not going up against main characters or blind people with sticks (which seems to be Boba's kryptonite)

Featuring cameos by Boushh, IG-88, 4-LOM, Bossk, Dengar, and probably a few others whose names are not coming to mind

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question: I haven't really pored through the original trilogy extras. Are there any BTS footage from the making of the opening crawls?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Although I hope "Han Solo: liar?" enters the canon of perennial thread topics alongside "are droids people" and "is rey a mary sue" I hope the new movie shows Lando hitting the button on a space stopwatch and saying "Hann, you just did the Kessel run in [#] parsecs"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't wait for the Bounty Hunter anthology movie which prominently features Boba Fett and Greedo being BAMFs because they're not going up against main characters or blind people with sticks (which seems to be Boba's kryptonite)

Featuring cameos by Boushh, IG-88, 4-LOM, Bossk, Dengar, and probably a few others whose names are not coming to mind

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The man who literally created the character, wrote the lines, and directed the scene said Han was being entirely genuine about the Parsecs thing. The only thing to debate is whether Lucas actually knew what a parsec was, either thinking it was a measure of speed and not wanting to admit his mistake or telling the truth about the whole navicomputer thing. The only fleecing going on in the scene is Han trying to rip them off with an exorbitant price justified with things like "Imperial Entanglements". Han clearly didn't think he'd actually have to do anything extra to avoid them, bemoaning the fact that Obi-Wan and Luke are "Hotter than I thought" once the Imperials in fact do try to blow him up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Solo will be a prequel to the special edition of A New Hope, in which Han is a less ambiguous and incrementally more honest character, insofar as Jabba's reliance on him has actually paid off in the past and he was proven correct that Greedo wasn't bluffing about bringing him in dead rather than alive. But in both movies, he starts of as scum and a villain who hangs out in a wretched hive, and in both movies, he owns a fast spaceship.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Solo is going to feature Han kicking some dude in the balls so hard, the guy shits his pants.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

The man who literally created the character, wrote the lines, and directed the scene said Han was being entirely genuine about the Parsecs thing. The only thing to debate is whether Lucas actually knew what a parsec was, either thinking it was a measure of speed and not wanting to admit his mistake or telling the truth about the whole navicomputer thing. The only fleecing going on in the scene is Han trying to rip them off with an exorbitant price justified with things like "Imperial Entanglements". Han clearly didn't think he'd actually have to do anything extra to avoid them, bemoaning the fact that Obi-Wan and Luke are "Hotter than I thought" once the Imperials in fact do try to blow him up.

Never trust what a director/writer says about their work, especially a known troll like George Lucas.

"They died" etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

sassassin posted:

Never trust what a director/writer says about their work, especially a known troll like George Lucas.

"They died" etc.

What, are you saying they lived forever??

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

galagazombie posted:

The man who literally created the character, wrote the lines, and directed the scene said Han was being entirely genuine about the Parsecs thing.

"Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation." -the script

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SimonCat posted:

So, other than losing the bombers, how did Poe's actions set the Resistance back?

He didn't clearly communicate to Finn and Rose "Hey, if you can't hire the Master Codebreaker, substituting some random guy you met in prison isn't an acceptable plan B".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I was unclear. There’s that Secrets of the Empire “Hyper reality experience” in Anaheim and a few other places where you pretend to infiltrate an imperial base on Mustafar during Rogue One Times.

This is from days ago, but they have it in Orlando, too, and yeah, I've done it. It was a lot of fun. You and 3 other people (or fewer, if you have fewer and don't want to get paired with strangers) look like Stormtroopers to each other (height changes based on the people wearing the VR suits. My wife is 4'11" and made for the shortest Stormtrooper I've ever seen). You sneak into an Imperial base along with a K2 droid, and they make the whole place smell like burning whatever like you're on Mustafar. When you get shot, your vest buzzes. You shoot guys and unlock puzzles, poo poo like that. I had a really good time and recommend it for anyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

"They died" etc.

So far Lucas is two for three on the fates of Han, Leia, and Luke. :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

So far Lucas is two for three on the fates of Han, Leia, and Luke. :v:

'they died' was genuinely a good response that sums up the problems with being unable to let characters you're attached to have the stories they already have and stop; the happy ending that was achieved in RotJ is undone only a few decades later because disney wanted to give people more han luke and leia

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brother Entropy posted:

'they died' was genuinely a good response that sums up the problems with being unable to let characters you're attached to have the stories they already have and stop; the happy ending that was achieved in RotJ is undone only a few decades later because disney wanted to give people more han luke and leia

I still want to know what Lucas had planned for Eps 7-9

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I still want to know what Lucas had planned for Eps 7-9

IIRC one of the things he mentioned was it was about a force cult that built their teachings on whatever force teachings the managed to loot in the collapse of the Empire. So less overt threat and more insidiuous terrorist/ideological threat to the new republic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That sounds so much better

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Schwarzwald posted:

"Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation." -the script

"Misinformation" is not the same as "blatant gibberish". I'll refer back to my own post from a while back:

jivjov posted:

Han's not a complete moron though. Maybe he's boasting, and his ship isn't literally the fastest ever...but nothing about him suggests that he would spout nonsense gibberish as a boast. "Making the kessel run in some number of parsecs" must be A Thing in the universe; else he would have boasted something else.

Obi-Wan thinks nobody could get that good a time (or rather distance) on the Kessel run, and even if they could, why would they be in a dive bar in Mos Eisley?

Maybe Han is lying about being that good at the kessel run, or maybe he's being genuine (I suspect we'll find out in Solo), but it doesn't fit with anything else we see from Han to think he's throwing out random space-y words that don't make sense in an in-universe context.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think the only thing we know about the Lucas treatment of Episodes VII-IX is that Luke had gone into exile for a few decades, but was convinced to come back by a young girl named Kira. And that the main protagonists were going to be teenagers. And that Luke would die at the end of Episode IX, after he trained Leia in the Force (that last bit was revealed by Mark Hamill only recently).

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9Jq_mCJEo

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

I suspect we'll find out in Solo

Talk about blatant gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If only we had some access to George Lucas' thoughts on the matter, like how Han and Chewie are based on him and his dog riding around together...

Or if there were some other movie Lucas had made about Harrison Ford being a jerk with a fast vehicle... Or a film featuring a car that looks like a piece of poo poo and is constantly mocked, but is actually really really fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OoxzYqgNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgqUHk-zDY