Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

FN is actually the audience surrogate - the average working-class shmoe who suddenly wakes up into the fantasy land. Of course he’s also a virgin.

FN’s the one who has ‘seen Star Wars’, being aware that Han Solo was an Alliance general, and Rey merely represents the undiscovered territory that FN is now exploring. Rey is a cipher, but for what the audience wants to watch.

The issue is that FN is that Boyega’s jumpy and weird, in an offputting Shia-Laboeuf-in-Transformers sort of way, and audiences simply don’t view themselves as ‘the bad guys’ - even though that’s the entire point of having a Stormtrooper protagonist. The whole thing’s just kinda botched.

I love this especially because Finn is an average working-class shmoe who suddenly wakes up from ill-defined servitude of a fascist regime, and then it turns out he was a bog standard janitor. No tragic backstory of suppression, dude has been a cog in the wheel who kinda hated his job but didn't really have any reason to leave before he was assigned to do a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Han's not a complete moron though. Maybe he's boasting, and his ship isn't literally the fastest ever...but nothing about him suggests that he would spout nonsense gibberish as a boast. "Making the kessel run in some number of parsecs" must be A Thing in the universe; else he would have boasted something else.

It sucks to explain a joke, but the joke is that Han is trying to say something like 'yoctosecond', 'attosecond', or 'picosecond'.

Those are actual measurements of time. (If Han did the Kessel Run in 12 picosecs, that would be ridiculously fast - twelve trillionths of one second.)

But because Han is bullshitting and doesn't care whether what he's saying makes sense, he just chooses a random word that sounds fast: 12 "parseconds". Han doesn't understand that a parsec is a measure of distance, and he doesn't care either, because all he wants is money.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wouldn't a space pilot understand measurements of distance?

Like it'd be a naval captain not knowing knots.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

it's a space pilot trying to throw out fancy words to impress what he sees as two backwards rubes in a desperate attempt to get the money he needs to pay off the space mob

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

pretty sure SMG does that specifically just to razz the kind of person who'd care about something that minor

Not so sure its minor. Would it still be minor if SMG only referred to Kunta Kinte as "Toby" in a Roots discussion?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Turtlicious posted:

Well again, that’s the joke.

Han is a highly unprofessional pilot, possibly even self-taught. He doesn’t need to know units of distance because, in a few minutes, we’ll learn that he’s reliant on a ‘navi-computer’ to do all the navigating.

If Obiwan were like “this laser sword is over 10,000 lightyears old”, that would be a nice additional clue that he’s bullshitting Luke. But Obiwan doesn’t make that sort of mistake, because he’s smarter than Han. This is characterization for both of them.

Obiwan’s bullshit is more effective because of he can twist anything he says to fit ‘a certain point of view’. Han’s boast about the parsec, on the other hand, is just false.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 29, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

Not so sure its minor. Would it still be minor if SMG only referred to Kunta Kinte as "Toby" in a Roots discussion?

the african slave trade was a real part of history, is the main difference there

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

the african slave trade was a real part of history, is the main difference there

Star Wars is a movie made by white people who live in a country built by slaves. Their fantasies are not value-neutral.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

UmOk posted:

Finn is just FN sounded out as a word. It is his slave name. He didn’t even pick it, Poe just tells him he’s gonna call him Finn because it’s what FN spells phonetically.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Hint: Threepio, Artoo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

I want you to go sit in a corner and wonder why you thought this was a good contribution to the conversation.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Finn is just FN sounded out as a word. It is his slave name. He didn’t even pick it, Poe just tells him he’s gonna call him Finn because it’s what FN spells phonetically.

Right, ‘Finn’ is a nickname, like ‘Mike’.

At the end of The Matrix, Keanu’s not like “my name is Tom!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Disney actually just signed me on to direct a short film about Finn getting all of the paperwork set up for his name change, Space Social Security number, all of that. It won't come out until well after IX but will be set in between The Last Jedi and IX. Even so, looking forward to starting preproduction on the first Finn-off set in the sequel era.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Obiwan’s bullshit is more effective because of he can twist anything he says to fit ‘a certain point of view’. Han’s boast about the parsec, on the other hand, is just false.

Old Ben doesnt come across as a good liar or one that even uses the certain point of view perspective. Not until he has to defend his ruse about Vader being Anakin to Luke in RotJ when he's confronted about it do we even hear how Ben can play that game. A concept where by the time we hear about it, Han has proven to be more than what he puts out.

In ANH Kenobi uses magic powers to brain wash no name soldiers. Old Ben is wise, crafty and seconds before seeing Han and Chewie he shows that he's a master swordsman and that's about it. Kenobi does a blink and you'll miss it eye roll at Solos boasting, and sure it's implied Ben doesn't buy the sales pitch but Ben's the one who insists on negotiating with Han on the fee. Nothing at this part in the movie gives the audience any indication that Kenobi is a better liar than literally a scummy truck driver who owes a loan shark money and who hangs out with villians in a Jizz bar.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 29, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AndyElusive posted:

Nothing at this part in the movie gives the audience any indication that Kenobi is a better liar than literally a scummy truck driver who owes a loan shark money and who hangs out with villians in a Jizz bar.

"These are not the droids you're looking for."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

"These are not the droids you're looking for."

Exactly, he waved his hands and cast an Affect Mind spell on the storm troopers. He could have asked the trooper to shoot his friends in the face if Ben wanted, but you can see how that might blow their cover.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AndyElusive posted:

Exactly, he waved his hands and cast an Affect Mind spell on the storm troopers.

...and the fact he can do that is evidence he's a bad liar?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's evident that he's a great wizard but a liar? Not so much.

Ya the statement he makes is a lie technically, but everyone in that scene knew those were the droids. That was a bad lie. Magic made the troops believe it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

The only ST character worth a drat is Kylo Ren.

Rey is a bland audience cipher and you can feel the executives pulling her back from being anything but in just about every scene. Finn exists and the films aren't sure what his background even is. Poe is... I don't know what Poe is beyond 'the X-Wing guy' because TFA and TLJ paint very different pictures.

Agreed. It's a real pity too because the ST has hands down the best cast of any of the SW films and they're pissing it away on this regurgitated worthless shlock.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

In ANH Kenobi uses magic powers to brain wash no name soldiers.

I’m referring specifically to his interactions with Luke and Han.

Of course Obiwan pretends to be a monster by yodelling, and uses the power of suggestion to dupe the cops. But even then, in the context of A New Hope, Obiwan doesn’t use magic to get out of the traffic stop. His secret power is being a white dude.

When dealing with people who aren’t ‘weak minded’, Obiwan tells tricky half-truths. He doesn’t actually have 17000 spacedollars, for example - Leia does. But, from a certain point of view, being friends with Leia means that he sort-of has the money, right? Forget, of course, that Leia is in danger. Obiwan uses Luke’s entire life savings to further imply that he’s rich - but he never claims it outright.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

The only ST character worth a drat is Kylo Ren.

Rey is a bland audience cipher and you can feel the executives pulling her back from being anything but in just about every scene. Finn exists and the films aren't sure what his background even is. Poe is... I don't know what Poe is beyond 'the X-Wing guy' because TFA and TLJ paint very different pictures.

Poe is Buck Rogers, basically. He's the dashing cool guy who would be the protagonist but not all their problems can be fixed by shooting. TLJ is partly about him learning that hard lesson.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Since, at the time, we, the audience, doesn't know what the Kessel Run is, maybe making it in 12 parsecs is. As in, if your ship isn't fast enough to hit the right spots, you have to fly a different route, one that might take 20 parsecs to complete.

The question we should be asking is why Boba Fett is stupid enough to disintegrate his bounties?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Since, at the time, we, the audience, doesn't know what the Kessel Run is, maybe making it in 12 parsecs is. As in, if your ship isn't fast enough to hit the right spots, you have to fly a different route, one that might take 20 parsecs to complete.

The question we should be asking is why Boba Fett is stupid enough to disintegrate his bounties?

Some people are okay with Dead or Alive, and some might even prefer Dead

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

Some people are okay with Dead or Alive, and some might even prefer Dead

But if they were disintegrated how would he prove they were dead? That could be any old dust pile he brings back.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

But if they were disintegrated how would he prove they were dead? That could be any old dust pile he brings back.

That’s why he’s got that neat visor thing to video record the disintegration.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Davros1 posted:

the scoundrel smuggler working for a gangster can’t possibly be lying to a couple of marks, it must really be [insert convoluted explanation here]

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

Poe is Buck Rogers, basically. He's the dashing cool guy who would be the protagonist but not all their problems can be fixed by shooting. TLJ is partly about him learning that hard lesson.

So, other than losing the bombers, how did Poe's actions set the Resistance back?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SimonCat posted:

So, other than losing the bombers, how did Poe's actions set the Resistance back?

He blabbed about the plan as soon as he heard it, which caused the bad guys to find out about it and blow up like 90% of their guys + attack their rickety back-up hiding place.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

business hammocks posted:

He blabbed about the plan as soon as he heard it, which caused the bad guys to find out about it and blow up like 90% of their guys + attack their rickety back-up hiding place.

If the Admiral had told anyone what the gently caress was going on, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ash1138 posted:

the scoundrel smuggler working for a gangster can’t possibly be lying to a couple of marks, it must really be [insert convoluted explanation here]

More convoluted than the last several pages of discussion?

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
I am amazed people are still trying to use logic to explain poo poo that happened in TLJ.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Logic proves that what happened was the script needed another round of edits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

If the Admiral had told anyone what the gently caress was going on, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Yeah military leaders always share all their information with everyone

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah military leaders always share all their information with everyone

Good ones share the plan with the subordinates who have to carry it out, yes.

Have you ever been in the military?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Good ones share the plan with the subordinates who have to carry it out, yes.

The ones who carry it out, not literally everyone. Poe had quite recently disobeyed orders and proven himself not very trustworthy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

jerk irl posted:

I am amazed people are still trying to use logic to explain poo poo that happened in TLJ.

Yeah people IRL don't make mistakes or fail to share information

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah people IRL don't make mistakes or fail to share information

It just seemed/felt forced to me, all that thing, up to Admiral Hodor's sacrifice.
No real build up... just bad storytelling. But maybe that's just me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the fact that people keep trying to place singular blame on either poe or holdo shows that they didn't get TLJ's real obvious theme of following your own assumptions instead of communicating

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Like, let’s do some maths here. Greedo says that the Falcon is worth less than 10,000 space dollars; since Han doesn’t have Jabba’s money, Jabba might settle for just taking the Falcon.

um... when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ones who carry it out, not literally everyone. Poe had quite recently disobeyed orders and proven himself not very trustworthy.

So you're just talking out your rear end here.