Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you can trust the exchanges just like you can trust tether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Wulfolme posted:

all the fun went out of this for me when i came to the conclusion that the price exists at the will of the people running the exchanges and theyre just stripping money off of everyone margin trading by swinging the price up and down at will

8000 means nothing, 800 would mean nothing and 80000 would mean nothing.

I am also very bored of bitcoin after all these years. It's not funny to watch the hundredth kamikaze wave of fools part with their money.

Is there anything stopping government from banning cryptocurrencies outright? If banks won't convert them into or from dollars then that seems like the end of it for most purposes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
it's out of the news, banned from google and facebook ads and nowhere accepts it

it's over boys regardless of the price at this point, it's just another trading token like binary options or whatever

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
but i heard bitcoin can *only* go up

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah but it's out of the news like pyramid schemes and MLM are mostly out of the news. The next generation of fools to get conned will be through word of mouth shilling rather than paid ads.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Mukip posted:

Yeah but it's out of the news like pyramid schemes and MLM are mostly out of the news. The next generation of fools to get conned will be through word of mouth shilling rather than paid ads.

yeah but those sorts of people are going to get suckered by something no matter what, you're talking the Zuargs of the world here

The prevailing philosophy that Crypto was/is the wave of the future seems to have been clobbered which is good for humanity as a whole

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

abigserve posted:

yeah but those sorts of people are going to get suckered by something no matter what, you're talking the Zuargs of the world here

The prevailing philosophy that Crypto was/is the wave of the future seems to have been clobbered* which is good for humanity as a whole

*per a couple hundred goons who have been hammering their keyboards with the same rhetoric for years

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is it really over if you can't buy gpus at previous prices

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I still find it funny that it is 2018 and people are still throwing their entire 401k's at clownpeniscoins that popped up overnight to advertise how their token is the one true cryptocurrency and then being appalled that the people in charge run off with everybody's money several weeks later.

I'm also more convinced most of these ICO's are now less of tens of thousands of gullible people conned into throwing money at it and more a few drug cartel owners conveniently shoveling dirty money in them to clean it.

...one would hope, at least.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/JohannesGees/status/990127891026530304?s=09

banksters BTFO

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

*per a couple hundred goons who have been hammering their keyboards with the same rhetoric for years

Why would you post this when you know that you have no experience of depth of knowledge in this area? You are wrong. Blockchain enthusiasm persists but no one with any technical expertise thinks Bitcoin or any of the bitcoin-likes (e.g. publicly-mined cryptocurrencies that only append transactions to a ledger) are going to accomplish much of anything.

Note that "accomplish" has nothing to do with whether the price goes up or down

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Blockchain enthusiasm persists but no one with any technical expertise thinks Bitcoin or any of the bitcoin-likes (e.g. publicly-mined cryptocurrencies that only append transactions to a ledger) are going to accomplish much of anything. Note that "accomplish" has nothing to do with whether the price goes up or down

Why would you post this when you know it's not true?

And if you aren't aware that it's not true, then, I don't know what to say. Maybe branch out away from forums.somethingawful.com for a day or two.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

And if you aren't aware that it's not true, then, I don't know what to say. Maybe branch out away from forums.somethingawful.com for a day or two.

I'm active in many tech communities, some of which have some really smart people who have been interested in cryptocurrency. None of them expect Bitcoin to accomplish anything. All of them are more interested in alternatives that offer more/better functionality.

But you seem to think that you know better, so go ahead: list some of the great accomplishments that Bitcoin has made. "Wasted a shitload of resources" isn't an accomplishment.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

zaurg posted:

He's been posting the same crap for a year+ and seems to really, really believe it so Quarkjets is either one of the truest believers or the dumbest idiots, take your pick based on your feelings on crypto

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

But you seem to think that you know better, so go ahead: list some of the great accomplishments that Bitcoin has made. "Wasted a shitload of resources" isn't an accomplishment.

Haven't you heard number go up?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VitalSigns posted:

Haven't you heard number go up?

i've never heard the sound of number going up no

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

really smart people
interested in cryptocurrency.

lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

zaurg posted:

the only goons that were objectively wrong about bitcoins were the guys who were saying the price would never go up

the rhetoric of this thread for the years I've been reading about it is that the underlying technology is garbage, it has no practical real world application, it solves a non-existent problem and it's rife with scams. And we're now in 2018 and;

- you can't host ads for bitcoin or any bitcoin related service on the biggest ad services in the world
- the price is being arbitrarily inflated by the worlds most transparent scam (Tether)
- you can't spend bitcoin anywhere that matters
- the price is constantly bouncing up and down which contradicts the fundamental reason people hodl ("it's a limited resource so the price should always go up!!!!")
- The populace in general have resoundingly stopped giving a poo poo: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=bitcoin
- Transaction fees and times have skyrocketed

goons were pretty much spot on the entire time with the only addendum that a huge population of people are even stupider/more gullible than could ever be imagined

Zuarg, I can't stress this enough, the fact that you bought crypto (on credit, no less) is proof of the kind of imbeciles that are still holding the bag in 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The caveat that people always neglect though is that if you were holding since it first was mentioned on GBS the odds are very good you got hacked or otherwise somehow lost your BTC due to circumstances beyond your control.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

He's been posting the same crap for a year+ and seems to really, really believe it so Quarkjets is either one of the truest believers or the dumbest idiots, take your pick based on your feelings on crypto

Or I have greater than the minimum amount of technical knowledge needed to be able to judge Bitcoin on its own merits instead of by whether or not the price is up or down today. Feel free to respond to the same challenge that I posed to zaurg, though. Go ahead, list some of bitcoin's greatest accomplishments to date; let's review them.

FYI zaurg still can't figure out how to make a budget after 10 years of posting "help I'm financially illiterate" threads in BFC and demonstrated multiple times that he has no idea how cryptocurrencies work, so don't expect too much from him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No it's true, even smart people can fall for MLM scams and pyramid schemes and other poo poo. Smart doesn't mean perfect

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I'm active in many tech communities, some of which have some really smart people who have been interested in cryptocurrency. None of them expect Bitcoin to accomplish anything. All of them are more interested in alternatives that offer more/better functionality.

Nah see that's where you're wrong. I don't know better. I'm just on the outside observing all the bullshit.

Did some thinking tonight while working on my stupid pool pump. I wonder if... I wonder if it's these "smart technical people" who hold some bitcoins/shitcoins, what if they are just gamblers? Anyone out there is susceptible to that, even highly intelligent people like yourself. And they're not 100% truly into the technology being a true paradigm shift like some of the "idiot bitcoiners" are as you call them. So, they see an opportunity to invest/gamble, they go for it, and get enthralled in the whole gambling experience and from that they start believing in valid use cases for poo poo-tokens. We humans are very irrational. You take someone who is steadfast against bitcoin for all the reasons it is bad but then sprinkle some $$ and gainz in front of his nose and he might fall, he might reach out and grab some, just for the $ aspect, and it's at that point that his thinking changes. The same thoughts he had once before change simply because of $.

That's certainly more plausible isn't it?

And those in the elite technical expertise field such as yourself who do not fall prey to gambling, you remain loyal in your mission against bitcoin.

zaurg fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 30, 2018

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
QuarkJets, you've alluded to other cryptocurrencies outside of bitcoin potentially having an impact, having real value, haven't you? (don't make me pull the quotes) What kind of nonsense shitcoin is getting your panties wet? You always refer to bitcoin as the worthless piece of poo poo, understandably since this is the Bitcoin thread, but you have your eye on some others.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Moneyball please help, why is :zaurg: allowed to post in the bitcoin thread?

Someone good with posting authority help, zaurgs credibility is dying.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

zaurg posted:

Nah see that's where you're wrong. I don't know better. I'm just on the outside observing all the bullshit.

You are on the inside fool, smeared head to toe in the poop you touched.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

Did some thinking tonight while working on my stupid pool pump. I wonder if... I wonder if it's these "smart technical people" who are bitcoiners, into the shitcoins and what not, what if they are just gamblers? And they're not 100% truly into the technology being a true paradigm shift like some of the "idiot bitcoiners" are as you call them. So, they see an opportunity to invest/gamble, they go for it, and get enthralled in the whole gambling experience and from that they start believing in valid use cases for shittokens.

That's certainly more plausible isn't it?

And those in the elite technical expertise field such as yourself who do not fall prey to gambling, you remain steadfast in your mission against bitcoin.

"I'm an idiot who knows nothing about this topic but I've decided to disagree with you anyway" - zaurg

You're not on the outside, you have purchased a seat at the table by buying a shitload of shitcoins on credit. You've posted many times about how you're "physically incapable" of selling any of them, because you have pie in the sky hopes of getting rich quick when one of them suddenly goes to the moon. You are exactly the kind of bagholding idiot that the big cryptocurrency holders love.

I see now what your aghast post earlier was about, your lovely reading comprehension led to you misunderstanding my post entirely. Well done, you are truly living up to everyone's expectations. The "mission against bitcoin" line at the end is real rich though, you obviously don't know anything about me or my opinions

zaurg posted:

QuarkJets, you've alluded to other cryptocurrencies outside of bitcoin potentially having an impact, having real value, haven't you? (don't make me pull the quotes) What kind of nonsense shitcoin is getting your panties wet? You always refer to bitcoin as the worthless piece of poo poo, understandably since this is the Bitcoin thread, but you have your eye on some others.

This is a weirdly perverse post but no, I'm not here to give you hot stock tips, sorry but you are financially insolvent and should not be gambling on cryptocurrencies

Bitcoin and its closest cousins (such as Litecoin) are fine as science projects demonstrating basic principles but at this point they're energy-wasting behemoths accomplishing nothing. Normally projects like those would be abandoned and everyone would move on, but their communities are too financially-invested to do that, so the cycle continues.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 30, 2018

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
personal attacks instead of just continuing a discussion. fine then. probably didn't even read my post.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

personal attacks instead of just continuing a discussion. fine then. probably didn't even read my post.

"You misread my post" is not a personal attack and the last paragraph of my post addresses your post directly, you moron. I did read your post, now you should try reading mine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

zaurg posted:

That’s just what Quarkjets does, Zaurg.... he is so mad against bitcoin he can’t see how good it is for humanity, smh...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That’s just what Quarkjets does, Zaurg.... he is so mad against bitcoin he can’t see how good it is for humanity, smh...

CFS, zaurg is not aware of your gimmick and might take your post as authentic encouragement to buy more shitcoins. You are causing him harm here

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

cfs i just wanna say much like bitcoin i hope ur post number continues to go UP!!! because they are good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

"You misread my post" is not a personal attack and the last paragraph of my post addresses your post directly, you moron. I did read your post, now you should try reading mine.

he probably meant the "financially insolvent" comment lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

CFS, zaurg is not aware of your gimmick and might take your post as authentic encouragement to buy more shitcoins. You are causing him harm here

That fuels this thread? :shrug:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

It's possible he's not mad. Instead, let me toss up a theory... he's making calculated FUD posts against Bitcoin repeatedly because he's a huge shill for [insert other coin here].

Let's take a closer look shall we...

Here he's establishing his knowledge and expertise on the topic. Note that he does this about every day:

QuarkJets posted:

I'm active in many tech communities, some of which have some really smart people who have been interested in cryptocurrency.

insert btc_fud script:

QuarkJets posted:

None of them expect Bitcoin to accomplish anything.

Throws a little teaser at a better coin. Rarely does this. Mostly just focuses on the BTC FUD. But here he couldn't help himself. One day he'll name the coin that he shills and by then he'll have such a following that just about every goon will be like "holy poo poo, QuackJets is now into cryptocurrency? *whips out credit card* I'll order 3 bags please." Holy poo poo it's perfect it'll moon like never before.

QuarkJets posted:

All of them are more interested in alternatives that offer more/better functionality.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The enron ponzi scam lasted for the better part of a decade. A poo poo ton of people got really rich from it.

Will being an open ponzi scheme make it last longer than past attempts? Only time will tell.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zaurg posted:

It's possible he's not mad. Instead, let me toss up a theory... he's making calculated FUD posts against Bitcoin repeatedly because he's a huge shill for [insert other coin here].

Here he's establishing his knowledge and expertise on the topic. Note that he does this about every day:

insert btc_fud script:

Throws a little teaser at a better coin. Rarely does this. Mostly just focuses on the BTC FUD. But here he couldn't help himself. One day he'll name the coin that he shills and by then he'll have such a following that just about every goon will be like "holy poo poo, QuackJets is now into cryptocurrency? *whips out credit card* I'll order 3 bags please." Holy poo poo it's perfect it'll moon like never before.

Lol at you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

insert btc_fud script:

I don't hold any cryptocurrencies, nor do I make money in a way that involves cryptocurrencies (shilling or otherwise). Your theory makes no sense; I'd have to be a pretty terrible shill to not ever mention my shillcoin even a single time. The facts are that I'm financially well-off and am not concerned with getting rich quick. But your theories are entertaining to read, please write down more of them. Maybe I'm in the process of writing QuarkJetsCoin but haven't bothered committing the 10 minutes it would take to do that, yet.

Have you ever considered that FUD might actually just be the truth? When someone says "BTC is slow, expensive, and inefficient", they are simply stating facts. My primary concern with BTC comes with the 3rd item there: it is super inefficient at what it does, and that is by design.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So there's a finite number of bitcoins. Does that mean when the last Bitcoin is mined, the whole thing grinds to a halt because the miners no longer have a reason to process transactions? Does the blockchain ledger even support adding new entries without a new Bitcoin? Maybe it does but the gas fees go straight to the moon?

The answer to this might be in the original white paper but :effort:.

UltraMegaPhil
May 2, 2010

Number one.

isndl posted:

So there's a finite number of bitcoins. Does that mean when the last Bitcoin is mined, the whole thing grinds to a halt because the miners no longer have a reason to process transactions? Does the blockchain ledger even support adding new entries without a new Bitcoin? Maybe it does but the gas fees go straight to the moon?

The expectation is that by that time the fees attached to transactions will be high enough to offset any losses from the lack of mining rewards. The reality may end up being somewhat different from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

Miners also receive transaction fees, so the original concept was that eventually miners would just receive transaction fees and that'd be enough to run the network. The expectation was that a lot of people would be doing low-cost CPU mining, instead of a few people mining with entire warehouses full of ASICs. Blocks will still be discovered so long as anyone is mining the network, those blocks will just have a steadily diminishing amount of bitcoin in them.

Eventually either transaction fees need to go way up or mining eventually needs to scale way back. But even if mining scales back, difficulty adjustments only occur after a set of N blocks, so if miners start shutting down equipment then transaction verification times will be a lot longer for awhile and that will also result in transaction fees rising.