Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mandatory Assembly posted:

If I want to inflict BattleTech fiction on myself because this game is occupying my every waking thought, what are the least terrible novels to get? Bonus points for a similar period in the timeline as the game.

Warrior Trilogy:

En Garde
Coup
Riposte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is leveling up reputations actually worth it at all or just max salvage all day

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just found my first LRM++ for my missile boat and sweet jesus does it rain some righteous hellfire. who needs other mechs when I have this one-man wrecking crew

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Nearing the end of the campaign. Still don't have a stock Catapult.

I want my missile chicken!

The LRM JagerMech has more missile slots than the Catapult.

... I don't get it either. :saddowns:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mandatory Assembly posted:

If I want to inflict BattleTech fiction on myself because this game is occupying my every waking thought, what are the least terrible novels to get? Bonus points for a similar period in the timeline as the game.

Wolves on the Border is actually genuinely good, and is set roughly three years after the start of the merc portion of the game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sooo, former Star League or battlefield trait on a planet doesn't seem to do much. Or am I missing something? Aside from possibly changing mission types.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Possible good stuff in the store.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I just had a mission where a drop ship smushed my guys after I blew up all the enemies

In hindsight im pretty sure what happens is that forest or other tile modifiers hide the drop ship markers because I saw one little square marked as dropship and none others

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coucho Marx posted:

I think people knock the Jager because it's one of the first Heavies easily available to you and they're expecting it to just wander around a wreck poo poo.

Nah, it's basically just a bigger Blackjack.

60 and 80-ton vehicles are your primary targets when they appear on sensors. More than anything else. More than a King Crab, even. Pull back immediately, Sensor Lock, and drill it with LRMs.

Also I'm fairly sure that if that SRM Carrier shot you from long range, then it was an LRM Carrier.

They're also a thing.

It had the letter "s" and had even had Arano pop up and say "hey don't get shot by these SRM Carriers" the turn the drove up and hosed Behemoth up. Not that it mattered I ended up losing the old fashioned way - by trying to drive my baby mediums around all the heavies they have no hope of defeating even with the turrets that already blew up, running into an invisible wall, and running out of time because I didn't see the little orange line and thought I was being clever by using the dropships as cover. :v:

This game is doing a lot to break me out of feeling bad about reloading in what are usually 'ironman' kinds of games. :haw:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

sebmojo posted:

lrn2 medic, scrub :smuggo:

I think it's ok, since you can put resources into speeding it up and you can always just buy another fleshbag to sully your beautiful machines. The earn/spend/wait loop is pretty well tuned imo.

It's doing a good job of keeping me a near-broke merc outfit. Anytime I get close to 2m in the bank I eat some serious poo poo in a mission and have huge repair bills to pay. A guy just can't get ahead :argh:

I'm at 60 weeks, I really should do the Weldry story mission and get out of this drat Leopard.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
One thing to do if you are short on cash is get to a system where you have good Reputation (Arano Restoration systems are easy) and sell all of the dozens and dozens of Jump Jet (S), Heat Sinks, and M Lasers that you have. I had over 100 of each and in no universe do you ever need that many. Was a cool 2 million credits when I did that. Honestly you probably don't ever need more than 10-15 of any single item (aside from like...Heat Sinks and LRM ammo), especially base versions (since you want to be using + versions as much as possible).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So are skulls themselves not that accurate? The orion I got in the last post was from a 4-skull mission, and it was on the same difficulty curve as some of the 2-skull stuff. Maybe it's just that the destroy the base missions are easier as a rule.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
How did you guys fit your Centurions? I dropped 3 LRM10s on it and 2 medium lasers with 3 tons of ammo. Thinking of pulling off the mediums and getting a lrm15 on there too

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

terrorist ambulance posted:

it can be, especially in the early game and especially for things like arano if you hang out in their space.

it's not much (I think the max out is a +10% mission pay out and 15% off the store) but this is also a lengthy, 80+ sortie campaign set up and only needs a mission or two worth of a dump to do.

Control Volume posted:

So are skulls themselves not that accurate? The orion I got in the last post was from a 4-skull mission, and it was on the same difficulty curve as some of the 2-skull stuff. Maybe it's just that the destroy the base missions are easier as a rule.

it's apparently the maximum total tonnage allowed for it, which could mean a small horde of mediums or a single assault etc that sort of thing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How did you guys fit your Centurions? I dropped 3 LRM10s on it and 2 medium lasers with 3 tons of ammo. Thinking of pulling off the mediums and getting a lrm15 on there too

3xLRM10s, 3 ammo, and I think 5 or 3 JJ's, them armor. I didn't bother with non-missile weapons. The armor loadout is so minimal after all the missiles that it's really just to protect against return LRM fire, not to protect it in a standup fight. If a mission gets to the point where it runs out, welp. I've since replaced it with a Trebuchet with 2x15's. Same missile throw, fewer jump jets but higher base mobility which was a problem with the centurion.

Control Volume posted:

Yeah they're basically just a guideline. The random enemy lance makeup can be really easy or a complete pain in the rear end.

Anyway,
In the first round of combat I just had a Locust 1M ding my Jeager with a head hit with it's LRMs, goddamnit. :xcom: Oh and in return my Shadowhawk one-shot it with a 50% AC/5 shot from foreever away. Double xcom there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Anyway,
In the first round of combat I just had a Locust 1M ding my Jeager with a head hit with it's LRMs, goddamnit.

I'm getting headshot four or five times a mission now. I don't even plan out skills for mechwarriors because by the time they come back I've totally forgotten what I wanted to do with them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How are people getting headshot so constantly.

The only person who gets dinged all the goddamn time for me is my main character. She's had like 8 injuries to most peoples 0-1.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Finally got around to getting allied with one of the factions and it's well worth it after suffering the worst RNG all weekend for additional salvages and low pay for everything to get there.

My protagonist always gets hit in the head, along with Behemoth. It happens every other mission. It's awful.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Gamerofthegame posted:

it can be, especially in the early game and especially for things like arano if you hang out in their space.

it's not much (I think the max out is a +10% mission pay out and 15% off the store) but this is also a lengthy, 80+ sortie campaign set up and only needs a mission or two worth of a dump to do.

it's apparently the maximum total tonnage allowed for it, which could mean a small horde of mediums or a single assault etc that sort of thing.

There are super high paying contracts for all the factions that are rep locked.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Arrath posted:

Yeah they're basically just a guideline. The random enemy lance makeup can be really easy or a complete pain in the rear end.

I had a 2 skull eliminate pirate Lance mission with 2 wolverine, hunchback with ac20,. 2 Sniper Panther, blackjack, enforcer, locust that almost completely destroyed my guys for a measly 300k cbills. This was right before I did the Argo mission with my stock Vindicator, blackjack, shadowhawk and my newly acquired Jenner (which I love).

Is there any way to punch out a mechwarrior in a mission? Not quit the mission but get a single guy out. Like my main dude had 2 CT left on his blackjack with no sides anymore and was basically useless Except for maybe a DFA... He died next shot and that 94 days out is just painful.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

does Called Shot affect every shot fired in a salvo or just the first weapon? I feel like it might be the latter. That or the displayed numbers are wrong.

I just aimed for the front of a tank with 91% Called Shot odds but only one out of five weapons hit - the rest hit other parts of the tank. It's not impossible for that to happen but it's pretty unlikely. Also, Glitch has a displayed 18% chance to get a headshot, so firing five weapons with 95% chance to hit I should hit the head with one of them about 2/3rds of the time, but my results are much lower than that

My guess is that the in-combat numbers are wrong and Called Shot Mastery isn't actually as amazing as it seems

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night10194 posted:

How are people getting headshot so constantly.

The only person who gets dinged all the goddamn time for me is my main character. She's had like 8 injuries to most peoples 0-1.

It seems to happen to me a lot when I'm above an enemy, I wonder if that matters at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Is there any way to punch out a mechwarrior in a mission? Not quit the mission but get a single guy out. Like my main dude had 2 CT left on his blackjack with no sides anymore and was basically useless Except for maybe a DFA... He died next shot and that 94 days out is just painful.

Yeah, there's a red button somewhere on their portrait that'll make them eject, destroying the head of their mech and taking them out of the fight but they'll be safe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I had a 2 skull eliminate pirate Lance mission with 2 wolverine, hunchback with ac20,. 2 Sniper Panther, blackjack, enforcer, locust that almost completely destroyed my guys for a measly 300k cbills. This was right before I did the Argo mission with my stock Vindicator, blackjack, shadowhawk and my newly acquired Jenner (which I love).

They taught you how to eject in the tutorial

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I just did Served Cold.

Vicky's Cat-K2 was the very first Catapult I met all campaign. It died in the most :battletech: way possible for that Mech outside of a freak headshot.

Grasshopper jumped behind her, chewed through the rear armor and promptly hit the machinegun ammo bin in the K2s center torso. :supaburn:

Arrath posted:

Good god does the Hunchback mount like 8 ML's? One ran right into my face and let lose with a disco light show.

That's the Swayback variant. The vanilla Hunchback-4G instead mounts an AC/20 in that shoulder.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I just wanted to put it out there that House Liao is best House. The liaison looks chiseled from stone and endless strife.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

There's a little eject button in red on your mech readout panel by their name when you have them selected.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'll just do this 1 Skull Mission for some quick cash.

8 Enemy Mechs
4 Vehicles

100k Payout.

What is the point of a difficulty rating if the game ignores it?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Peven Stan posted:

Lmao 94 days to fix an incapacitated pilot, this game could benefit greatly if they slashed all the arbitrary waiting times by 50%

The "wait times" aren't arbitrary, they are to give a cost to getting your pilots banged up, 94 days means you let someone take a shitload of hits or your guy ate a fatal blow. You aren't required to wait for all of your pilots to get out of the medbay, you're actually expected to have some extras so you can sub in.

Flavahbeast posted:

does Called Shot affect every shot fired in a salvo or just the first weapon? I feel like it might be the latter. That or the displayed numbers are wrong.

I just aimed for the front of a tank with 91% Called Shot odds but only one out of five weapons hit - the rest hit other parts of the tank. It's not impossible for that to happen but it's pretty unlikely. Also, Glitch has a displayed 18% chance to get a headshot, so firing five weapons with 95% chance to hit I should hit the head with one of them about 2/3rds of the time, but my results are much lower than that

My guess is that the in-combat numbers are wrong and Called Shot Mastery isn't actually as amazing as it seems

That's not how random numbers work. But yes, called shot weighs every poo poo fired (missiles still do the "roll hit loaction for the first missile and then all the other impacts cluster around the frist" thing)

Lastly the numbers on the called shot window are just the chance for a weapon that hits to hit that location, not the chance for you to actually hit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

The "wait times" aren't arbitrary, they are to give a cost to getting your pilots banged up, 94 days means you let someone take a shitload of hits or your guy ate a fatal blow. You aren't required to wait for all of your pilots to get out of the medbay, you're actually expected to have some extras so you can sub in.

No, they're dumb and arbitrary.

You can play a perfect game and it doesn't matter if it RNGs up a cockpit hit or three.

They are also completely irrelevant for enemy mechs.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Astroniomix posted:

People spend less time in the hospital today for major surgery like heart bypass surgery.

Space medicare must pay out a ton if someone can spend 94 days in the hospital on their dime just for taking a few blows to the head

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

TipsyMcStagger posted:

You can fit a ~40 LRM salvo and enough ammo (4-6) with enough space left for four JJs and some paper-thin armour. You're keeping it behind a rock well back from the fight anyway, so you don't need much.

RBA Starblade posted:

It had the letter "s" and had even had Arano pop up and say "hey don't get shot by these SRM Carriers" the turn the drove up and hosed Behemoth up. Not that it mattered I ended up losing the old fashioned way - by trying to drive my baby mediums around all the heavies they have no hope of defeating even with the turrets that already blew up, running into an invisible wall, and running out of time because I didn't see the little orange line and thought I was being clever by using the dropships as cover. :v:

This game is doing a lot to break me out of feeling bad about reloading in what are usually 'ironman' kinds of games. :haw:

Oh, Panzyr.

Stick someone with Evasive Movement and Piloting 6, if at all possible, in the Shadow Hawk. Completely max out its armour everywhere except a little less on the back, add max JJs, three Heatsinks, an MLas, an SLas, three SRM4s and one SRM ammo. Like this:

Make sure your other mechs have long-range options: AC/5s and 10s, LLas, PPCs, and LRMs - they'll get a workout this battle. Hell, make all of your mechs full-armour snipers. You now know where the carriers are, so your job is to kill both of them before they take a turn! Sensor Lock the first one, get vision on the other with a mech firing on the first, and blow them both to hell. Or, Sensor Lock and kill one from a distance, making sure to stay the loving gently caress away from the other one until next turn. If the SRM Carriers are shooting at you from fog of war, that's a bug. Take screenshots and report it. Also, show us!

As soon as the turrets are online, you're going to start booking it with the Shadow Hawk. Either go on top of the little peninsula, or through the forest, whichever looks safer with the mechs you can see. Jump max distance, then Brace, towards the area with the enclosed walls. Additionally, sprint/jump your other mechs towards the path leading down into the base - you'll be more or less camping up here with them. The faster your mechs get close to the other mechs, the faster they'll swich targets to them. Between your tanky mechs and the turrets, very few mechs will want to fire at your Hawk.

I've done this mission twice now, succeeding both times. First time I blew the building with four turns left, the second with three turns left. Both times, it was with a Shadow Hawk. Both times, the turrets stuck around and did a great job.

Also, by Panzyr, you really should have a heavy mech. Do more Battle/Assassination missions in and around Weldry until you get a Thunderbolt or Orion or something.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Peven Stan posted:

People spend less time in the hospital today for major surgery like heart bypass surgery.

Space medicare must pay out a ton if someone can spend 94 days in the hospital on their dime just for taking a few blows to the head

The wait times get a fuckload shorter once you have an actual hospital tho.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are you guys just trying to run like, four pilots?

Have some substitutes. Get some medbay upgrades.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Xae posted:

You can play a perfect game and it doesn't matter if it RNGs up a cockpit hit or three.

Tell that to the Battlemaster I just salvaged by knocking it down for a pilot kill

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Long-rear end medbay duration is what happens when your pilot takes a serious concussion, multiple broken bones, burns and lacerations, and internal bleeding while you have some second-hand forceps and lots of gauze.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

How long do you think recovery and Physical Therapy from my major traumatic injury is my dude?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

I found it better to generally never max out either slider unless I got to a magic 3 salvage, but rep 100% does not matter.

e: also pilot injuries are how I keep hunting for salvage.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I think it bears mentioning that the leopard is about a half-notch above "completely worthless" for everything that isn't "move something from point A to point B" and "shoot at stuff". The unupgraded argo is a significant improvement for mechs because it has an actual medbay, and pilot downtimes go down significantly once you start upgrading the medbays.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

Meat is cheap, save the metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

NmareBfly posted:

I want a mech paper doll to pop up on every shot to show damage. Also the red internal damage thing on the paper doll should either fade or just deplete downwards so I don't have to click individual sections for number.

Don't know if anyone responded to you, but there's a setting in the options for this.