Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Fixed the new headlights/rack with galvanized steel brackets, as the provided ones felt a bit flimsy. Protaper contour handlebars and pillow top grips.

Despite the robot aardvark styling and chortling of goons, I'm actually pleased. The rack is useful for extending the sparse luggage options, and removing the shield removed the blind spot, making London filtering much easier.

This bike is great.

Only thing bad about the two headlights is they’re not a single, giant baja headlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress I didn't realise that was THAT bike.

Once again: goddamn you to hell, give it to me immediately.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Removed what didn't already fall off of the cheap tank grips I got last year and put some real stuff on there instead(techspec).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Weather was nice, unlike the snow we had last weekend, so I picked ye neue Suzuki from storage, did a quick blast down the highway, and got my usual parking spot at home.

:feelsgood:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

giant baja headlight.

Hunted around for the Baja style ones, found them to be prohibitively expensive. Might switch if I see one come up cheaper.

Slavvy posted:

gently caress I didn't realise that was THAT bike.

Once again: goddamn you to hell, give it to me immediately.

Once I've ridden it across Asia and it's shaken my rear end to bits I'll probably hand it over willingly.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Pulled the FZ-09 out and ran it for a bit then removed the ECU to send it out for a flash.

Nothing interesting or fun even though it's one of the only nice days here recently :(

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Sold the transalp. A retired couple rolled up in a bmw k100 with sidecar. She was looking for a bike with electric start to replace her xt250 or similar that has kickstart as her hip wasn't that good anymore. She was a former car mechanic.
Cool people, I think they'll enjoy the bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Be the PO you wish to see in the world.

Organized electrical poo poo and put in a lil accessory fuse box on the sv. Removed the carb on the ttr to ship it out to a carb wizard. Installed the old sv riser plates on the gsxr - however, the left one is kinda hosed because it’s a dynojet assembly and ends up being too short without a shift rod extension and too long with a 1” one.

This is actually the first time I worked on all 3 bikes in one day.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what's being done to the carb? the little baby 100 carbs aren't too bad to poke around in, atleast when i was fixing my CRF100

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The GXSR looks so mad. >:O

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Razzled, not sure, I think it’s like several issues. It leaks from somewhere, has a funky idle, etc. it’s definitely easy to work on, it takes <2 min to remove which I love, but I’m just not sure how to identify anything but the simplest float/mixture issues on a carb. Also I wanna just be lazy for once 😂

Fifty Three posted:

The GXSR looks so mad. >:O

It’s mad I don’t ride it more

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Be the PO you wish to see in the world.

You are a saint. Every time I see something like this I feel guilty and think of how many things i have attached to the batteries in my bikes. :( Which fuse box do you have? Does it have two fuses for each connection? Is that led in the middle to show which fuse blew?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747BM41H plus a regular ole ground junction block to the left for the negative wiring.

There's 6 connections, so one fuse per. That LED does show the status of each fuse. I only have my phone charger hooked up now, but might get some heated stuff for fall, which is why I installed it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the info. I've added it to my list and I'll pick up one or several soon. The grom has soooo many things plugged up it's absurd. Like 4 or 5 on each post, at least.

Where do all the negative connections go? To that one big bolt in the middle there?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

To the junction block on the middle left, it's kinda hiding cause I put a boot over that one as well as the positive terminal https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Single-junction-block-406-204/dp/B00HZU42Z2/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ohhh I see it now. Thanks for the link. More money to spend on these bieks :argh:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

behold my horrible diagram on how I did it

for all I know it'll burn the whole bike down :banjo:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

for all I know it'll burn the whole bike down :banjo:

I've had a fuse block built months ago and keep procrastinating over actually installing the thing because I'm paranoid about it catching fire, ha

I realise I could probably avoid this by just inlining a 30A fuse on the 12V wire coming from the battery, but then I had to go and read about relay field collapse potentially barfing hundreds of volts back up the switch wire and I don't know if I need to throw a diode on there as well or what.

I am definitely super overthinking this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You sure are.

Keep in mind a GN250 has one fuse for the entire bike and you can still buy those brand new.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hahaha, speaking of POs and electrical fuckery, I just found a pic of the original carnage that was in the SV seat

Random cut cables just hanging out, connections electrical taped together (not even twisted), and not pictured -- inexplicable 1 foot wire extensions on the hotbodies undertail blinkers (also electrical taped together) because ?????

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Put summer tires on the nx250, Mitas e-09. gently caress me and they where hard to get on. Hot water soaking helped a lot though, I dread how much I would have struggled without that trick.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Normal brain: 690 SM
Super brain: DR650
Galaxy brain: 80's Honda

Bought Jazzzzz's Hawk today (Thank you!). Up at 645 AM, on the road with a rental van by 745 AM, back home at... 3AM. Just over 16 hours of driving that huge ford transit cargo van. It really wasn't so bad. I felt pretty good even at the end. Now that I'm home and sitting down I feel really dizzy, though. :(

It's beautiful.

Wow.

Obviously a successful trip back safe and sound called for mai tais for the gf and I.

To Do before I get it running (hopefully as soon as tomorrow [today?]) :
-pull and clean the carbs and replace boots/gaskets
-install new battery
-fix bump stop for center stand
-drain the bad gas and put fresh gas in
-change oil before initial start up. Then change oil again and filter after it's been run a little.

To Do after it runs:
-mount PR3 tires (tuesday)
-new chain and cush drive rubbers
-Morimoto 7 inch LED headlight (thanks Jazzzzz!)

-Ride the hell out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
ONE OF US

(also, while the supertrapp looks kinda dorky at first, you will love the sound)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

ONE OF US

(also, while the supertrapp looks kinda dorky at first, you will love the sound)

Yesssss

Also, I don't understand this sentence. Supertrapps are the raddest looking exhausts in both design and style, and after hearing one on an SV650 I'm forever in love. I was planning to put one on the hawk first thing, so having one on there already is a dream come true. :D

Coydog fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 27, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Now that I'm home and sitting down I feel really dizzy, though. :(

Buddy, you didn’t have to leave it running in the van!

For real though congrats! That’s a cool and good bike

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

Bought Jazzzzz's Hawk today (Thank you!). Up at 645 AM, on the road with a rental van by 745 AM, back home at... 3AM. Just over 16 hours of driving that huge ford transit cargo van. It really wasn't so bad. I felt pretty good even at the end. Now that I'm home and sitting down I feel really dizzy, though. :(

It's beautiful.

Wow.

Obviously a successful trip back safe and sound called for mai tais for the gf and I.

To Do before I get it running (hopefully as soon as tomorrow [today?]) :
-pull and clean the carbs and replace boots/gaskets
-install new battery
-fix bump stop for center stand
-drain the bad gas and put fresh gas in
-change oil before initial start up. Then change oil again and filter after it's been run a little.

To Do after it runs:
-mount PR3 tires (tuesday)
-new chain and cush drive rubbers
-Morimoto 7 inch LED headlight (thanks Jazzzzz!)

-Ride the hell out of it.

:woop:

That looks very very clean. Tank and cowl are in good shape and those are the two unobtanium items.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Goddamnit, you're making it more and more difficult for me to not buy a hawk. Nice new bike!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

:woop:

That looks very very clean. Tank and cowl are in good shape and those are the two unobtanium items.

There is a very small crack in the cowl and the tank has a couple of scratches (including one a PO covered in horribly mis-matched touchup paint and then covered with a tank bra) but for a 30 year old bike, it don't look too bad at all. I'm just happy it's gone to a good home where someone will actually ride it.

Coydog, I forgot to mention - those emgo mirrors are pretty useless, but so are the OEM ones I gave you (emgo=blurry at speed, OEM=oh look, my elbows!). If you still have the CRG bar end mirrors from the 690, put one on.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Almost warm enough to ride the FZ but instead I installed the flashed ECU, dusted it off a bit, put on a comfy old man seat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

advion posted:

Almost warm enough to ride the FZ but instead I installed the flashed ECU, dusted it off a bit, put on a comfy old man seat.

What seat is that? Looks like it'd help keep you from sliding into the tank much better than the stock seat. I actually kinda like the styling, too

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

advion posted:

I like the seat and all the grippy patches on the tank. It looks really good, as well as functional.

:krad:

I took from 2-10 pm, but now it starts, idles, and runs like an absolute champ. Pulls like a goddamned train.

So many thanks to Gorson for the copious instructions and advice.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 29, 2018

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I took from 2-10 pm, but now it starts, idles, and runs like an absolute champ. Pulls like a goddamned train.

So many thanks to Gorson for the copious instructions and advice.

Noice. Did you end up playing with the jetting at all or did you just get everything cleaned up and put back together with the new seals and boots?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Moved the instrument cluster forward. It was over the clamp and below the keyhole before. You had to look down (dangerous) to read it. Now you just have to move your eyes down. 38 bucks - great mod!

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

What seat is that? Looks like it'd help keep you from sliding into the tank much better than the stock seat. I actually kinda like the styling, too

It's the Yamaha Comfort Saddle for the 2017 FZ-09 but it fits onto the 2014-2016 as well.

advion fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

-A n i m 8- posted:

Moved the instrument cluster forward. It was over the clamp and below the keyhole before. You had to look down (dangerous) to read it. Now you just have to move your eyes down. 38 bucks - great mod!

Aw I like the stock position on those. It's so bizarre to lean over way forward to put the key in. I'm sure that gets annoying in daily use, though. What you did looks factory. Good mod.

Jazzzzz posted:

Noice. Did you end up playing with the jetting at all or did you just get everything cleaned up and put back together with the new seals and boots?

I left the jetting as is, with just putting fresh seals and boots on. Since you said it was professionally done, I wanted to see how it was to use as a baseline, and go from there. Now, it's easily the best running and smoothest carb setup I've ever had, including my nice stock EX250. I don't want to change anything, for fear of angering the carb gods and entering an uroboros of pain chasing carb tunes.

I can definitely smell the slight gas odor at stoplights, though. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be. I found this. What's the story, and should I uncover it? More air might balance out the richness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CRFs' first valve clearance inspections.

The labeled cardboard bolt holder was clutch for CRF #2. Way less thinking and finding involved, both for assembly and disassembly. I saved the cardboard for next valve inspections, at which time I will jot down torque specs too.

Valve cover was stubborn during disassembly, I looped a piece of beefy fuel line from a car I use as a finglonger when installing sparkplugs around the breather nipple and pulled up on both ends to get it out.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

What's the story, and should I uncover it? More air might balance out the richness.

I have no idea. After I had the valves checked and the jetting looked at I never had reason to pull the tank. It looks to me like someone cut the airbox trying to get more airflow and then either decided they didn't like it or the mechanic I took to it decided THEY didn't like it and taped over it when they did the jetting (wtf). Usually people who ditch the airbox on Hawks toss the whole thing and put pod filters on. I never hosed with it because it ran fine, if smelling a little rich, once I got it back from the shop.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 30, 2018

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

clutchpuck posted:

CRFs' first valve clearance inspections.

The labeled cardboard bolt holder was clutch for CRF #2. Way less thinking and finding involved, both for assembly and disassembly. I saved the cardboard for next valve inspections, at which time I will jot down torque specs too.

Valve cover was stubborn during disassembly, I looped a piece of beefy fuel line from a car I use as a finglonger when installing sparkplugs around the breather nipple and pulled up on both ends to get it out.

Tell me more

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
Installed a new Vortex 520 sprocket and chain set on my FZ1. After pulling it off I think the chain that was on it could be original at ~30k miles and was fuuucked up. Regardless I dropped from a 17t to 16t in the front and I already love it. I thought it would be more noticeable than it is which is both good and bad. I also Installed a Speedo healer and just need to get that dialed in with GPS. Pic is before cleaning up the chain a little. I think the next project is to find some R1 forks to do a suspension setup overhaul.

bobbert fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bobbert posted:

Installed a new Vortex 520 sprocket and chain set on my FZ1. After pulling it off I think the chain that was on it could be original at ~30k miles and was fuuucked up. Regardless I dropped from a 17t to 16t in the front and I already love it. I thought it would be more noticeable than it is which is both good and bad. I also Installed a Speedo healer and just need to get that dialed in with GPS. Pic is before cleaning up the chain a little. I think the next project is to find some R1 forks to do a suspension setup overhaul.

When/if you decide to go for the R1 forks, get at me - I have a set from an 08 R1 I meant to install on my FZ1 that I never got around to, sitting in a box in my garage, along with the calipers/MC/rotors to go with them. They're gold, not black, if that matters.