Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been lots of speculation about time jumps backwards and forwards. Someone claimed to have seen Black Widow with her red hair so there might be time travel.

My proposed ending is still best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

There's been lots of speculation about time jumps backwards and forwards. Someone claimed to have seen Black Widow with her red hair so there might be time travel.

My proposed ending is still best though.

If there is a bunch of time between the two movies it would make reversing everything more of a moral dilemma. If the universe has moved on, can you really turn it all back? Think of babies who are born in the meantime who would be unmade. Would they still end up living after the Great Cosmic Mulligan? Maybe, maybe not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was going to say the Avengers Cap suit wasn't that bad, but I went and looked at pictures and yeah, it is.

I'm so glad Whedon's gone.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This movie, more than Whedon's, truly felt like all the characters came from where we last saw them in their own movies, to try and fight together a threat they cannot handle alone.

It was all impressive as hell.

I may have cried a little bit at Spider-man "dying". I was hopeful when almost the entirety of the GotG were wiped that Spidey would make it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I was going to say the Avengers Cap suit wasn't that bad, but I went and looked at pictures and yeah, it is.

I'm so glad Whedon's gone.

It's just stunningly bad. Especially compared to what came before and after.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Whedon kind of reminds me of Raimi. I do love a lot about his Avengers though. Made me care about the Vision before Tom King's comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Whedon kind of reminds me of Raimi. I do love a lot about his Avengers though. Made me care about the Vision before Tom King's comic.

I put 90% of that on Paul Bettany.

Edit: Chadwick's hair in Civil War is so boring, he looks so much better in BP. Regal as gently caress.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 30, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I feel like Whedon never truly understood Cap in his Avengers movies. Cap is a noble, upstanding guy, but he would not have been a prude worried about bad language, having grown up in Brooklyn during the Depression and fought in World War II alongside the Howling Commandos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I feel like Whedon never truly understood Cap in his Avengers movies. Cap is a noble, upstanding guy, but he would not have been a prude worried about bad language, having grown up in Brooklyn during the Depression and fought in World War II alongside the Howling Commandos.

Absolutely, Whedon's Cap was just terrible. He may as well be a totally different character in TWS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will defend his exasperated "It seems to run on electricity" nonetheless.

Being able to hotwire a car doesn't mean you know instantly what's going on with a piece of advanced military equipment from 70 years in the future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I will defend his exasperated "It seems to run on electricity" nonetheless.

Being able to hotwire a car doesn't mean you know instantly what's going on with a piece of advanced military equipment from 70 years in the future.

I lay all the praise for that on Evans.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
WhedonCap is mostly fine in Avengers 1. He’s kind of obnoxious in Ultron.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My only semi-major complaint about Infinity War (and this is not even about Infinity War specifically, just almost all modern movies with huge set pieces) is that the difference in quality between a very bright full CGI set and a dark CGI set or a partial physical set with CGI is still very noticeable.

Some of the segments in Infinity War (space, the forge, and dark sections on Titan/Nowhere) are gorgeous. The bright full-CGI backgrounds (parts of Wakanda or the city that Thanos genocides in his flashback) look fine, but "flat" and stand out more.

This was egregiously bad in Jurassic World and a lot of other blockbusters that were very expensive and polished. No amount of money or time seems to be able to overcome it right now and a darker background on a full-CGI set just consistently looks better.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 30, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

Oh man, James Cameron is going to be so pissed.

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/990628872461971457
It was Force Awaken's record, though? I think Disney is pretty okay with losing the belt to themselves.

Also that movie owned and I kinda don't want to see it again until Avengers 4 comes out because goddamn. I may or may not have yelled at the screen when the final message was "Thanos will return". Throw us a loving bone, god drat it you sadistic fucks!

I mean, look. This is obviously the one way Dr. Strange saw to win and he's playing a long game, there's some trick in the Time Stone or something, they'll get the gauntlet off Thanos and bring everyone back. But that was still loving brutal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Whoever decided to switch the "<Protagonist> will return" message at the end of the movie to "Thanos will return" deserves a bonus and an employee of the month award for trolling.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Cap's costume in Avengers makes sense when you remember HYDRA was SHIELD and they were clearly doing it to gently caress with him.

From a story standpoint, the costume actually makes a lot of sense. It's a bit cartoonish and stiff, kinda like Cap himself. It's also designed with a heavy focus on visual to really make Cap stand out as being back in the world and making him a symbol. And it was the absolute perfect costume to wear for those videos in Homecoming.

Can't hate the costume too much. It served its purpose and now we go on to better-looking costumes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

It was Force Awaken's record, though? I think Disney is pretty okay with losing the belt to themselves.

Yes, I said Cameron is going to be pissed in reference to his interview last week where he said he hoped people were getting Avengers fatigue since this is the opposite of Avengers fatigue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Cap's costume in Avengers makes sense when you remember HYDRA was SHIELD and they were clearly doing it to gently caress with him.

This wasn't a thing yet so I will continue to blame Whedon for his bullshit.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

This wasn't a thing yet so I will continue to blame Whedon for his bullshit.

I think with this one it's more a case of the broken clock being right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We rewatched Ant-Man and we're wrapping up Civil War now and seriously, Paul Rudd is a blessing.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Whedon kind of reminds me of Raimi.

I'm not really seeing this comparison, maybe some of the tone of Avengers matches up with Spider-Man, but as film-makers they seem pretty radically different.

I don't really hate the Avengers 1 Cap costume, the biggest problem is the gloves and boots that are so much bulkier than the rest of it making the costume itself look a little like undergarments if you squint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The mask is horrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Calling it a mask is being charitable. It’s a glorified hoodie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just got back from Infinity War. It's insane how consistently funny Dave Bautista is.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"An hour."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i tried to watch ant-man recently and turned it off halfway through

only mcu movie i've done that with

it was just boring?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

Yes, I said Cameron is going to be pissed in reference to his interview last week where he said he hoped people were getting Avengers fatigue since this is the opposite of Avengers fatigue.
Ah, got it.

Who the gently caress asked for Avatar sequels anyway? The movie was an incredible experience in IMAX 3D but the actual movie itself was... okay? I guess? I never felt the need to rewatch it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

i tried to watch ant-man recently and turned it off halfway through

only mcu movie i've done that with

it was just boring?

Your face is boring and I hate you. Paul Rudd is a DELIGHT.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kai Tave posted:

Just got back from Infinity War. It's insane how consistently funny Dave Bautista is.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"An hour."

I was laughing my rear end off at "WHY is gamora?!" and him going "Do it Quill, I can take it!" as a huge gun is pointed at his face

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Draz is indeed awesome. Is there really anyone in Marvel's expansive film cast that is just bad in their role?

I SAID FILM CAST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IRON FIST

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Away all Goats posted:

I was laughing my rear end off at "WHY is gamora?!" and him going "Do it Quill, I can take it!" as a huge gun is pointed at his face

Seriously, if someone had told me that the sleeper MVP of the Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer consistently stealing every scene with his incredible comic delivery I'd have thought you were crazy, but drat if they didn't knock it out of the park by casting him. The guy's a delight.

I agree with a lot of the other points people have already made about the movie, but the thing I really enjoyed about it is that all the bits with the different characters felt like their respective movies. Going back to Whedon's kinda garbage take on the characters in Age of Ultron as an example where you'd have the characters in their solo movies and then that feeling of them being mishandled in AoU, in IW every time the scene shifted to the Guardians of the Galaxy it felt like a GotG movie, and then when it shifted back to Thor it felt like, oh yeah, this is Thor all right, straight out of Ragnarok, then Cap and his gang show up and it's back to Civil War, same with Black Panther. It's definitely a big bombastic spectacle movie, but the impressive bit is they managed to spin all those plates while preserving the various styles and tones of the slices of the universe they were mashing together in the process.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Avengers was a success in that it was a competent sequel to four films.

Infinity War is a massive triumph because it is not only a sequel to six individual films but the characters are true to their own films.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought the language joke was pretty funny. I liked his "We'll lose together" bit. The speech he's giving right as they land in Sokovia. Obviously the best Cap movie is Winter Soldier, but I can't really think of any serious missteps Whedon made with the character. I know people freak out over the God thing, but it's really not that serious.

Why do people keep saying Thor didn't use his power? He is blatantly using a poo poo load of lightning in the final fight. And mowing through those aliens like nobody else on the field was capable of. His eye even went all glowy. Did you guys fall asleep?

VVVVV

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 30, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I agree with a lot of the other points people have already made about the movie, but the thing I really enjoyed about it is that all the bits with the different characters felt like their respective movies.
I dunno, I feel like Thor sorta forgot his major lesson from the end of Ragnarok a bit.

"Okay so I'm not the god of hammers and in fact Mjolnir was a power limiter on me and I'm much more powerful embracing my nature as the god of thunder and just channeling the power... welp! Sounds like what I need right the gently caress away is a new hammer and to not even attempt to tap my super mode! Man, I'm good at thunder-godding."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I dunno, I feel like Thor sorta forgot his major lesson from the end of Ragnarok a bit.

"Okay so I'm not the god of hammers and in fact Mjolnir was a power limiter on me and I'm much more powerful embracing my nature as the god of thunder and just channeling the power... welp! Sounds like what I need right the gently caress away is a new hammer and to not even attempt to tap my super mode! Man, I'm good at thunder-godding."

Eh, I don't really feel like he forgot it as such, his entrance to the Wakanda fight was followed by a huge amount of thunder godding all over the place, way moreso then you saw in previous movies where it was mostly about hammers and punching, but he already tried fighting Thanos once with just his godly power and he got his rear end soundly kicked, we just didn't get to see that part. Thanos is several steps above anything else including Cate Blanchett which means that it's time to pull out all the stops, which means going and getting a god-slaying weapon.

SonicRulez posted:

I thought the language joke was pretty funny. I liked his "We'll lose together" bit. The speech he's giving right as they land in Sokovia. Obviously the best Cap movie is Winter Soldier, but I can't really think of any serious missteps Whedon made with the character. I know people freak out over the God thing, but it's really not that serious.

I think the romance subplot between Banner and Natalya was an interesting idea on paper that wound up atrociously dreadful in execution, Nick Fury showing up with SHIELD remnants out of nowhere like nothing happened after the end of Winter Soldier, etc. It's not just Cap in particular. I've long held the opinion that Whedon isn't nearly the amazing writer that nerds used to laud him as for years and years, and I'm glad his tenure on Marvel Movies is over and done with because the Russos do it better by far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To this day I still can't figure out what Whedon did to score the Avengers gig. Serenity was terrible.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Also watching Ant-Man right now and yeah it's just so fun. Big fan of this movie.

Rhyno posted:

Draz is indeed awesome. Is there really anyone in Marvel's expansive film cast that is just bad in their role?

Before Infinity War I would've said Doctor Strange. He's the only one where I felt like the casting just whiffed it, but I also hate his movie on nearly every level. After IW I'm pretty on board and he's much closer to "my" Doctor Strange.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

Before Infinity War I would've said Doctor Strange. He's the only one where I felt like the casting just whiffed it, but I also hate his movie on nearly every level. After IW I'm pretty on board and he's much closer to "my" Doctor Strange.

I didn't even dislike Doctor Strange all that much but I agree that he's definitely come much more into his own outside of his own movie. Cumberbatch is the most fan-casty of the major characters so far imo but he isn't terrible, and certainly improved in his bit in Ragnarok and moreso in IW.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I feel like he hit it at "Dormammu, I've come to bargain", so maybe it was just still-learning-this-poo poo Dr. Strange that was outside his wheelhouse.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I didn't even dislike Doctor Strange all that much but I agree that he's definitely come much more into his own outside of his own movie. Cumberbatch is the most fan-casty of the major characters so far imo but he isn't terrible, and certainly improved in his bit in Ragnarok and moreso in IW.

I always called him the most Wizard Magazine-rear end casting they could've picked. Marvel has had mostly inspired casting. They go so far out of what you'd expect and find unknowns or knowns that you wouldn't think to see in a comic movie. Cumberbatch is the first kneejerk casting you could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

He’s gone now, but Terrance Howard was an extremely boring Rhodey. Marvel’s been fortunate enough to avoid bad casting since then, but one issue they still have is occasionally wasting good actors and actresses on forgettable characters. Mads Mikkelsen is the most glaring example, but you could make cases for Christopher Eccleston, Glenn Close, and Karl Urban.

edit: Technically this is more “wasting a cameo”, but Tunde Adebimpe only had one forgettable line in Homecoming :argh:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 30, 2018

• Locked thread