Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of bounties, have we ever seen people go after Luffy solely to collect a bounty? Aside from Blackbeard, I can't think of any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Speaking of bounties, have we ever seen people go after Luffy solely to collect a bounty? Aside from Blackbeard, I can't think of any.

we havent really seen ANYONE do that for anyone tbh. its one of the biggest misses in the manga. theres no group of badass strong bounty collectors doing poo poo outside of Zoro early on I guess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hell astro course posted:

A friend linked me this, it is really cool

It got me thinking, what does each villain luffy defeats represent?

i dont think they represent much, but i think blackbeard and akainu represent two sides to luffy:
blackbeard cares about absolute freedom, but doesn't give a poo poo about protecting people
akainu gives a poo poo about protecting people, but doesn't care about freedom

luffy has to balance both which is really hard

Kild posted:

we havent really seen ANYONE do that for anyone tbh. its one of the biggest misses in the manga. theres no group of badass strong bounty collectors doing poo poo outside of Zoro early on I guess.

i feel like they could just make filler arcs that are like 13 episodes long where luffy has to deal with a bounty hunter; they did it once, but it seems like its the perfect way to pad out the series without impacting the plot. (i really wish they'd just make the anime seasonal and by madhouse tho).

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I guess once you have the power to take out someone in the $100M range you're either a marine or have a bounty yourself.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The 7 warlords basically fill the role of 'not really pirates but also not marines' for people that would oppose pirates and possibly collect bounties. It'd be tough to write strong new world level bounty hunters into the story in a way that doesn't step on the toes of the warlords in some way.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JahRoo posted:

The 7 warlords basically fill the role of 'not really pirates but also not marines' for people that would oppose pirates and possibly collect bounties. It'd be tough to write strong new world level bounty hunters into the story in a way that doesn't step on the toes of the warlords in some way.

i think just mentioning them more often would be fine. or like bounties are consistently counted as a marine bonus. something like that. its a really minor nitpick tho.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think just mentioning them more often would be fine. or like bounties are consistently counted as a marine bonus. something like that. its a really minor nitpick tho.

Yeah I agree, the only times we hear about people turning other pirates in to the marines, it's in return for a spot on the warlords rather than the bounty.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I wonder if we'll ever get back to having seven Warlords again. I'd be kind of surprised honestly since they're kind of small fries in general at this point. Not to mention none of the five we have now could really get an arc. Hancock is an ally, Buggy is...Buggy, and then Mihawk, Kuma, and Weevil are all loners with no crew, so them having an entire arc would be weird.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The story is wrapping up and any new Warlord has to be introduced through the story...and they're small fries now. Warlords are done

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheLoneStar posted:

I think one of the dudes in the Dressarosa arc was a bounty hunter. He tossed a bunch of weapons at Luffy and then got KO'd by Don Chinjao.

I think his motivation was pretty much to collect bounties on the participants.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some pages with bounty hunter Django.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man had beautiful eyes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oh yeah, that's right. I honestly forgot about that guy. And indeed, those are some gorgeous eyes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Short-lived as he was, dude had a neat gimmick of sniping with weapons.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Man I love Oda but he really does introduce way too many characters because I didn't remember that guy at all.

Remember all of the underworld kings coming to the wedding this last arc? Name any of them offhand besides Morgans and Stussy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ryaomon posted:

Man I love Oda but he really does introduce way too many characters because I didn't remember that guy at all.

Remember all of the underworld kings coming to the wedding this last arc? Name any of them offhand besides Morgans and Stussy.

that one that tried to take the chest with the bomb in it only to get sniped by Stussy

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ryaomon posted:

I watched a clip of the anime introducing them all yesterday and Morgans and Stussy are still the only ones I remember.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLoneStar posted:

If it wasn't for Akainu I'd say that they either were or looked like mob bosses.

Sakazuki looks like a Yakuza. He even has the tattoos.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

In fairness we'd probably remember them more if they showed up after the wedding. After the cake plateau falls not a single one of them other than Morgans & Stussy are seen again. I don't think they're in a single panel or otherwise mentioned.

Honestly for the best. I mean when you have Stussy & Morgans, why even bother with the rest.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ryaomon posted:

To be fair, I can't remember a lot of names but I can probably recognize a good deal by their portraits or descriptions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Du Feld and Drug Peclo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Oda needs to team up with Kubo to do character designs so he can introduce 100 more irrelevant characters that are still irrelevant but stylish and memorable.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I really like the 1.5 billion number. It's not just a factor of how strong Luffy is, but the fact his presence is destabilizing. Luffy may only care about his personal power level, but a big factor to his overall ability is the ease with which he gets people on his side. It's a reflection of all of his abilities and presence on the world stage. I like it.

It would own if there was a couple pages where someone Luffy respects explains it to him. Someone like Shanks. He may not care, but it would be cool if at some point he took it into consideration.

I suspect he will have to if he wants to be Pirate king.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 30, 2018

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

quote is not edit

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Y'know, I wonder if 1.5 billion is supposed to be a pun, as in 1(st) 5 (go), as in gokou...or is that perhaps a bit of a stretch?

Also 15 can be broken down into Ichigo, which means strawberry :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Julias posted:

Y'know, I wonder if 1.5 billion is supposed to be a pun, as in 1(st) 5 (go), as in gokou...or is that perhaps a bit of a stretch?

Also 15 can be broken down into Ichigo, which means strawberry :v:

You'd have to be pretty broken down to become an Ichigo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

baroque works did before zoro kicked the poo poo out of the whole town

their group were bounty hunters officially

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
drat, it feels good that Luffy has a huge bounty now.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

In light of Sanji getting a bigger bounty than Zoro for once, I’m super hype for the reveal that Zoro’s a Warlord or some poo poo that explains Sanji getting to look kinda cool for once by the time they get to Wano, because I know Oda can’t resist dunking on Sanji. :allears:

lol in a very meta-reader sense i thought the exact same thing - were gonna get to wano and zoro's gonna be NOTORIOUS for something or other

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Yeah I agree, the only times we hear about people turning other pirates in to the marines, it's in return for a spot on the warlords rather than the bounty.

Zoro was a bounty hunter in East Blue and had fellow bounty hunter friends.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I meant the bigger grand line folks. Presumably Zoro turned a bunch of pirates in to get the nickname "pirate hunter" but he wasn't that strong back then and probably wasn't cashing in anything more than like 10 million at a time.

The only times that grand line pirates have been turned in to the government (that we've seen), it was Blackbeard turning in Ace in exchange for a warlord spot, and Law turning the hearts of 100 pirates in for the same thing.

The point is that while bounty hunters obviously exist in a world with so many lucrative bounties to collect, the other institutions that have been established as powerful on the grand line sort of inhibit the presence of truly powerful bounty hunters.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
10 million was probably way above his capabilities back then

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I assume that the bounty is just a way for the government to track where the pirates are and that it also includes information that leads to their capture.

Pirate crews still need to eat and resupply and there's always the risk that there might be an admiral waiting for you at your next destination.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

10 million was probably way above his capabilities back then

What was Arlong worth, because Zoro probably could have taken him at full strength, it’s not like Crocodile or Lucci where Luffy needed half a week of rest.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Arlong was 20 million but he had his bounty suppressed by paying off that marine. Kuro and Krieg were 16 and 17 respectively, so I believe Zoro could've pulled up to 10 million pre-strawhat, possibly 15 in the right circumstances.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JahRoo posted:

Arlong was 20 million but he had his bounty suppressed by paying off that marine. Kuro and Krieg were 16 and 17 respectively, so I believe Zoro could've pulled up to 10 million pre-strawhat, possibly 15 in the right circumstances.

Could have, but everything we know about his character seems to suggest he was something of penniless drifter before meeting Luffy, so he could've just picked off the smallest fries whenever he found them and immediately blow the money on rice balls and liquor the same night, even if he could've gone after much bigger bounties.

It's just a thing he did to eat, rather than actual career choice.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't wait for Luffy and the others to get to Wano and find out the rest of the crew isn't there. Sadly, Zoro insisted on steering the ship to Wano and ended up at Alabasta.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Remember that time Brooke called Big Mom "young lady?" That was cool.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Clam Chowdown posted:

Remember that time Brooke called Big Mom "young lady?" That was cool.

Brooke was the best part about that Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Brook and Jinbe were in a neck and neck race for MVP of the arc, but I gotta give Brook the nod for how hilarious he looked while breaking Carmel's photo.