Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
Brethren, the relic was inside us all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
so if you touch something to a relic it becomes a relic so if you touch a relic do YOU become a relic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Blood Boils posted:

I enjoyed the story of Einhard sending his servants to Rome to "acquire" relics for Charlemagne, and the relics causing freaky poo poo to happen because they were upset at being burgled.
how do you make sure the relic is ok with you

edit: my church has a relic of a New Martyr (civil war) and they really do smell fantastic

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Senju Kannon posted:

so if you touch something to a relic it becomes a relic so if you touch a relic do YOU become a relic

And that's how my cousin got absorbed into St Francis' foreskin.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Basically the universe is one massive ship of theseus problem.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

I enjoyed the story of Einhard sending his servants to Rome to "acquire" relics for Charlemagne, and the relics causing freaky poo poo to happen because they were upset at being burgled.

my favorite relic theft story is st. nicholas, since last year archaeologists said they were pretty sure they discovered the actual tomb of st. nicholas in demre. despite the italians stealing his body from turkey twice and the normans stealing it from italy once. dude gets around.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Senju Kannon posted:

I remember reading a book by this Catholic priest who had had a radio show where he explained Catholicism and took questions from listeners. He said there was one show where he had just explained relics...how there were three classes of relics; parts of the saint, things the saint owned, and things the saint touch. Then this old woman had called in, excited, and explained to him how, when she was a little girl, she had been spanked by Mother Cabrini.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dat rear end is reliculous dawg

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

dat rear end is reliculous dawg

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

my favorite relic theft story is st. nicholas, since last year archaeologists said they were pretty sure they discovered the actual tomb of st. nicholas in demre. despite the italians stealing his body from turkey twice and the normans stealing it from italy once. dude gets around.
I thought the same thing. And if it's true, there's still some relics in Italy exuding myrrh every year, so who's the anonymous saint people have been venerating for a thousand years?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

I thought the same thing. And if it's true, there's still some relics in Italy exuding myrrh every year, so who's the anonymous saint people have been venerating for a thousand years?

Maybe the saintly powers can emanate from anything publicly recognized as a relic regardless of whether the saint had anything to do with it while living.

That also solves the problem of it allegedly being possible to build a whole ship from pieces of the true cross :agesilaus:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Can you become a saint if everyone genuinely believes that you are a saint?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

pidan posted:

Maybe the saintly powers can emanate from anything publicly recognized as a relic regardless of whether the saint had anything to do with it while living.

That also solves the problem of it allegedly being possible to build a whole ship from pieces of the true cross :agesilaus:

Actually that calculation has mostly been discredited, later examinations have come to suggest that all the claimed fragments together come to less than the whole size the cross should be.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Samuel Clemens posted:

technically everyone who's in heaven is a saint, the ones we call saints are just the ones that have been officially recognized by the church. also since the relics don't have any actual power and God works through them im pretty sure He can call a mulligan if someone dug up the wrong grave

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's how you get dog saints. Do you really want dog saints?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Is this a trick question?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Epicurius posted:

Yes?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Sure. Can we have cat saints?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spacewolf posted:

Sure. Can we have cat saints?

In the event that you can find a non-evil cat, sure.

(I love cats. But I am not blind to their ways.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Actually that calculation has mostly been discredited, later examinations have come to suggest that all the claimed fragments together come to less than the whole size the cross should be.
yeah that was just calvin building propaganda

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

stop talking before PI catches wind of this and they all come in here "actually snakes and locusts are very nice pets why are you Christians so discriminatory hmmmm??"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

stop talking before PI catches wind of this and they all come in here "actually snakes and locusts are very nice pets why are you Christians so discriminatory hmmmm??"

There was that time a town sued a swarm of locusts and the locust's lawyer won by citing "be fruitful and multiply".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

now i am imagining a locust coming into the courthouse wearing a top hat and later pulling a Bible out of his briefcase dramatically during the trial

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Epicurius posted:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ironically a similar train of thought is also how you get dog gods

dog god dog god Dog God Dog God DOG GOD DOG GOD DOG GOD

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

dog god dog god Dog God Dog God DOG GOD DOG GOD DOG GOD

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

docbeard posted:

In the event that you can find a non-evil cat, sure.

(I love cats. But I am not blind to their ways.)

Cats don't need to be saints, they've been worshiped as gods for nearly 5000 years at this point.
:catbert:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah that was just calvin building propaganda

True enough, but how many heads did St. John the Baptist have? I don't rule it out, but you think the gospels might have mentioned if it were so.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, i got the test results back. i definitely have a cyst on my pineal gland. until or unless i have neurological problems the next step is taking another mri in a year to check if it’s grown. not the best news but also not the worst. medium

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

well, i got the test results back. i definitely have a cyst on my pineal gland. until or unless i have neurological problems the next step is taking another mri in a year to check if it’s grown. not the best news but also not the worst. medium
you don't have cancer, this is good

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well she said probably benign which is disquieting

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

well she said probably benign which is disquieting
wikipedia says four to 11 percent of autopsies have those things. all of those people died of something else, and before they died they're all walking around right now next to you. eleven people out of every hundred on the street have what you have and they're not dead. you're probably fine.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
between “maybe” and “probably” i’ll take probably, but i’d still prefer “definitely” all the same

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm glad you're still alive. Death is one god to whom we must always say, "Not today."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Fear not. For the only reward which is worth having is the peace which comes from right-action, the inward treasures which no robber can take from us, and which even our own foolishness cannot erase from our past.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

between “maybe” and “probably” i’ll take probably, but i’d still prefer “definitely” all the same
that's science. we "probably" won't get hit by a bus today either.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

that's science. we "probably" won't get hit by a bus today either.

That's partly because I have something to live for other than screwing up predictions by deliberately throwing myself in front of buses.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Senju Kannon posted:

My friend has spent a month going to different clinics because a test indicated a tumour in his thyroid gland. Somehow there was only one doctor in the whole city who could confirm what it was without operating, and he was on holidays for another three weeks. Gladly, the test turned out to be a false positive in the end, but it was pretty stressful for his family.
Hope you're going to be fine is what I'm trying to say.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

My friend has spent a month going to different clinics because a test indicated a tumour in his thyroid gland. Somehow there was only one doctor in the whole city who could confirm what it was without operating, and he was on holidays for another three weeks. Gladly, the test turned out to be a false positive in the end, but it was pretty stressful for his family.
Hope you're going to be fine is what I'm trying to say.

thyroid problems are far more common than people think, my doctor in Germany found one while she was ordering me a blood test for liver problems. She wanted to test my liver because I am on antidepressants but she found this instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So, I will be going on a pilgrimage to Andechs Abbey next Monday and Tuesday as part of an ancient pledge of my hometown. I will keep all the prayer requests I saw itt in mind and bring them to the Holy Mountain, but I figured that if any of you has any particular prayers you would like to be brought there and said in front of the three miraculous hosts (or at least a toast in your honour when I'm enjoying the monastery's most excellent beer garden after Mass :cheers:) then you can hit me up anytime :)

• Locked thread