Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact this fantastically bad idea got through a number of people that had to sign off on it is pretty telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

gently caress yes.

Legalize catdrugs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

SirPablo posted:

Meanwhile in Arizona where the teacher strike will continue into its third day tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/990633840702976000?s=19

E: Townsend is the state senate majority whip.
Is armed teachers still the Republican answer to school shootings? I kind of agree, the teacher's union needs an armed wing.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Radish posted:

The fact this fantastically bad idea got through a number of people that had to sign off on it is pretty telling.

They are either the most socially ignorant newspaper people in existence or racists. I'm leaning to racists but there are tones of dumb rich people with money.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

there are tones of dumb rich people with money.

All those people are racists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gently caress is this.

Why America will regret legalizing marijuana

http://theweek.com/articles/769168/why-america-regret-legalizing-marijuana

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also by Rachel Lu

http://theweek.com/articles/768185/americas-matriarch

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's so hilariously uptight. "Making it legal will mean more people will use it which is inherently bad!" Also she had to put in her dig at expunging convictions which says what she's probably really pissed off at but knows enough not to say it so brazenly.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I've never read anything from this crazy person before, but I liked this article:

http://theweek.com/articles/766237/3-ways-gop-rebuild-after-trump

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hahaha, what a dumb piece of poo poo:

quote:

This much at least is clear: When states legalize marijuana, people consume more of it. The data suggest that frequent users are the main driving force behind those rosy markets. The revenues are high because the humans are high.

Is this really cause for cheer? I went to high school in Boulder, Colorado, so I know perfectly well that nice people can smoke pot. But I also know that pot can be addictive and lifestyle-invasive, with particularly malignant effects on juvenile brains. It can disrupt memory and attention spans. It reduces drive and executive function. Physical coordination can also be diminished, potentially affecting a person's ability to drive safely. Predictably, these effects are far more pronounced in the heavy users who are the primary clientele for the cannabis industry.

How will this affect society at large? We live in an era when significant numbers of people are struggling to get a handle on the fundamentals: holding down jobs, developing healthy life habits, managing finances and personal relationships. Our social workers have crushing case loads, and our foster care system is increasingly strained. Young people are marrying less, but ever more prone to drug addiction. These grim realities reflect many casual factors, but we needn't become sneering moralists just to wonder: Will a massive infusion of psychoactive drugs help this situation?

drat you, cool kids!!!:argh:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
we needn't become sneering moralists, but it sure helps :haw:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BadOptics posted:

I've never read anything from this crazy person before, but I liked this article:

http://theweek.com/articles/766237/3-ways-gop-rebuild-after-trump

I like the part where she says the option of making the GOP into a labor party would have "disastrous results" on the economy.

(I'm assuming you were being sarcastic about liking it.)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Rachel Lu is a writer based in Roseville, Minnesota. Her work has appeared in many publications, including National Review, The American Conservative, America Magazine, and The Federalist. She previously worked as an academic philosopher, and is a Robert Novak Journalism Fellow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ah, good ol' Bob Novak...the paragon of journalistic integrity.:allears:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
A good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTJwuddn4o

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Hahaha, what a dumb piece of poo poo:

drat you, cool kids!!!:argh:

Look, just because the world has been driven to poo poo and there's no chance of stopping the coming wars and mass deaths from climate change doesn't mean you should do drugs. Just go work your long term career job that's got decent pay and benefits.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

So it's just like alcohol, got it. That's not a very convincing argument.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Majorian posted:

Robert Novak Journalism Fellow.

Yikes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

So it's just like alcohol, got it. That's not a very convincing argument.

Same writer:

http://theweek.com/articles/752954/some-women-dont-want-reproductive-rights-im

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eNeMeE posted:

Look, just because the world has been driven to poo poo and there's no chance of stopping the coming wars and mass deaths from climate change doesn't mean you should do drugs. Just go work your long term career job that's got decent pay and benefits.

And also drink heavily. A non-addictive, non-health-damaging activity that's as American as mom and apple pie.:patriot:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdichieSpeaks/status/989115610759122946?s=19

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

don't forget to do you part and keep running around D&D letting anyone critical of Hillary know that racism and sexism is why

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't get it. why are people mad at her?

edit: i just saw a CNN article about this claiming she's upset at hillary and i still don't get it. are people really so worked up in a froth that asking hillary a harmless question is viewed as an attack?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 30, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hillary is not the most accomplished person to run for president.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Condiv posted:

are people really so worked up in a froth that asking hillary a harmless question is viewed as an attack?

yes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

self unaware posted:

don't forget to do you part and keep running around D&D letting anyone critical of Hillary know that racism and sexism is why

Not something that KM actually does regularly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

are people really so worked up in a froth[/b]

Yes? People are worked up into a thick egg white consistency froth that doesn't fall out of the bown when you turn it upside down. Firm peaks of frothiness, almost over whipped.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

self unaware posted:

Look as much as I hate the gifs and endless derails, KM is mostly a good poster who teaches me new things about how my thinking has been influenced by white supremacy all the time. If you listen to her you'll see she has a point. I would be a better person if I listened to her more often than I do.

So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe she has a point about the USPOL crew's criticism of Clinton.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ogmius815 posted:

Look as much as I hate the gifs and endless derails, KM is mostly a good poster who teaches me new things about how my thinking has been influenced by white supremacy all the time. If you listen to her you'll see she has a point. I would be a better person if I listened to her more often than I do.

So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe she has a point about the USPOL crew's criticism of Clinton.

i really haven't seen km derailing threads, and who cares about reaction gifs?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

anti-fascists are to fisticuffs as conservatives are to guns

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That is some weak-rear end criticism on its own merits, to say nothing about getting blowback for it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

interrogating Hillary Clinton about putting the word "wife" first on her twitter bio or something lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait, is she even making a point about criticism of Clinton? I got the impression that the tweet she linked was referring to people attacking this woman for a question she asked Clinton in an interview (with the general message being that it was absurd she was attacked despite having a positive view of Clinton herself and the criticism being very minor).

Regarding criticism of Clinton, my feeling is that you can make an accurate point regarding disproportionate criticism of Clinton (or other women/minorities in politics) in general, but that such points have no place when interacting with specific individuals (assuming their criticism is actually valid and not inherently sexist/racist itself, in which case it should just be attacked on the basis of being wrong/bigoted).

edit: Such criticism can also make sense in the context of a publication or organization, but I feel like there are a number of issues with attributing someone's (presumably not directly sexist) individual criticism of Clinton to sexism. Even if you can somehow prove that they disproportionately focus on Clinton, this can easily be attributed to the fact that Clinton receives disproportionate focus by US media in general (and is thus going to produce more opinions in response). Basically, it's an important and useful discussion to have, but it shouldn't come up in the context of a rebuttal to an individual making the criticism.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 1, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:shepface:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

So she's a cut-rate Megan McCardle.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

i don't get it. why are people mad at her?

edit: i just saw a CNN article about this claiming she's upset at hillary and i still don't get it. are people really so worked up in a froth that asking hillary a harmless question is viewed as an attack?

mother can never be questioned

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/991086945592840195?s=19

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

anti-fascists are to fisticuffs as conservatives are to guns

Yes because when we arm we get killed, the only weapon they can't take is your body

gently caress em up comrades

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yes because when we arm we get killed, the only weapon they can't take is your body

gently caress em up comrades

They certainly can take your body
The proletariat must be armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

gently caress that poo poo the DNC should raise its own money if they can. They're having problems because it's clearly smarter to donate directly to campaigns you support but there's no real shortage of democratic money this cycle. The DNC got something valuable at a deeply discounted rate and are bitching they didn't get it for free. That's pathetic.

If the DNC wants more money, they first need to prove they can use it effectively. Why would you even donate to the DNC in a midterm cycle anyway I mean gently caress?

• Locked thread