Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Midjack posted:

Ahahahahaah what. Tell me there's a thread on this.

Yeah, thread plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fayez Butts posted:

Come again?

God willing

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
When I worked 3rd shift remodeling a Walmart supercenter in college, we had specially designed wheeled arms that hooked into the center spine of the shelving gondola in basically the same holes as the shelves and then you would crank the wheels down like trailer dollies. You’d end up with 15-20 of these fuckers per side, but goddamn they made moving those super long shelves around pretty easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is what happens when you let a gas mechanic work on a diesel. Wrong thickness head gasket means pistons/valves kiss and eventually something gives.

Despite putting a small hole in the block, the block and crank will be salvageable, just have to have #5 journal deburred and polished.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is this gas mechanic incapable of reading a spec on a rebuild manual?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, thread plz.

There for sure is a post on this. I saw a picture of the stitches on his stomach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Is this gas mechanic incapable of reading a spec on a rebuild manual?

Its not a spec, you have to measure the piston protrusion from the deck with a dial gauge. The easiest thing to do if you don't have that is to use a 3 hole headgasket, which is the largest of the 3, but this builder went with a 1 hole, the smallest. That's dangerous if you don't know the depth of the piston.

For example: The dealerships started rebuilding ONLY with the 3 hole headgasket to even avoid this ever happening.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That sounds like a horrible design failure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

That sounds like a horrible design failure.

Its not. Its standard practice for many diesels, some have less of a selection (Powerstrokes have 2 thickness selections IIRC) but Diesels, due to their need for high compression, have to have EXACT distances and the smallest possible clearance between head and pistons in order to maximize overall compression.

Its more of an issue on Indirect Injection diesels, with pre-burn cups that require higher than normal compression, versus Direct Injection where you can run lower compression because peak compression is held in a cup on the piston.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Internal combustion engines are cool as gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ICEs combine the two things every male is biologically programmed to love: fire and machines. Then applies it towards the other thing every male loves: going fast.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

ICEs combine the two things every male is biologically programmed to love: fire and machines. Then applies it towards the other thing every male loves: going fast.

So if I invented a car engine that also incorporated boobs, I could be richer than Musk?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

So if I invented a car engine that also incorporated boobs, I could be richer than Musk?

Assuredly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spog posted:

I mean, have you really looked at a hemi?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anything is private parts if you squint just hard enough. We were all teenagers once.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

um excuse me posted:

Anything is private parts if you squint just hard enough. We were all teenagers once.

There used to be (:ssh:) a tradition at work of trying to hide a cock n' balls in castings somewhere. One former employee was particularly adept at it, to the point that one old product had some check machining on it solely to remove said appendages because they were a little too obvious and we didn't want to offend any customers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Midjack posted:

The thread was closed and deleted due to unrelated goon drama that happened later on. But yes, there was gory details in text about what happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

The thread was closed and deleted due to unrelated goon drama that happened later on. But yes, there was gory details in text about what happened.

booooo

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

There used to be (:ssh:) a tradition at work of trying to hide a cock n' balls in castings somewhere. One former employee was particularly adept at it, to the point that one old product had some check machining on it solely to remove said appendages because they were a little too obvious and we didn't want to offend any customers.

Over the past few years we've been making components for the Nasa TESS satellite, and I was sorely tempted to scribe a tiny dickbutt on one of them in an inconspicuous location. Didn't do it, sometimes wish I had.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Over the past few years we've been making components for the Nasa TESS satellite, and I was sorely tempted to scribe a tiny dickbutt on one of them in an inconspicuous location. Didn't do it, sometimes wish I had.

There are at least 2 carriers and 15 subs that have dicks in places from someone who was not me.

One of them was not on the back of lagging inside the reactor compartment on pressurizer piping that someone had to inspect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

iwentdoodie posted:

There are at least 2 carriers and 15 subs that have dicks in places from someone who was not me.

One of them was not on the back of lagging inside the reactor compartment on pressurizer piping that someone had to inspect.

That's the navy, there are dicks everywhere. Everyone in the navy is obsessed with dicks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

That's the navy, there are dicks everywhere. Everyone in the navy is obsessed with dicks.

Color me surprised. I work with a lot of sailors. Dick jokes abound.

Also, mooning is surprisingly common. I've seen a particular chief's rear end more times than I care to count.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

:nws:https://imgur.com/5mCt3OX:nws:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

jammyozzy posted:

Some traditions are thousands of years old.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dick jokes should be the litmus test for sentience.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

CommieGIR posted:

Its not. Its standard practice for many diesels, some have less of a selection (Powerstrokes have 2 thickness selections IIRC) but Diesels, due to their need for high compression, have to have EXACT distances and the smallest possible clearance between head and pistons in order to maximize overall compression.

Its more of an issue on Indirect Injection diesels, with pre-burn cups that require higher than normal compression, versus Direct Injection where you can run lower compression because peak compression is held in a cup on the piston.

That air cooled Deutz I posted about a while ago had a procedure where you insert a bunch of shims under the cylinder when you install it, then lay a length of 2mm solder across the piston. Torque down the heads and bar the engine over. Then remove the heads, and measure the thickness of the solder after it was crushed. It gave a spec for the crush and you were supposed to lift the cylinder up and cut out the appropriate number of shims to get the right amount of clearance between the pistons and the head. Didnt put enough shims in on assembly and you need to increase the clearance? Guess you're taking the piston all the way back out, removing the cylinder, and reassembling with more shims, then repeating the process.

Guess who had to assemble an engine twice?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Run out of golden rivets, huh?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

Not just the Navy. Reminder that GIP has printed TWO runs of the military dick-graffiti book.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Godholio posted:

Not just the Navy. Reminder that GIP has printed TWO runs of the military dick-graffiti book.

The military is basically a steam room but with less openly gay members.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 1, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

The military is basically a steam room but with less openly gay members.
I notice you said less, not fewer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

I notice you said less, not fewer.

For sure.

There's a lot of repressed mother fuckers that join. Just open up grindr near a base.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My car is made entirely out of hackjobs, but this tops everything now.

A couple of months ago I bought a fancy aluminum bracket so I could run a serpentine setup with an alternator from a much newer car. This RACING bracket broke into several pieces and I can't tension the alternator anymore. But $4 walmart ratchet strap can!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You best not melt that poo poo or you might set your car on fire not be able to tension that belt for long.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

0toShifty posted:

My car is made entirely out of hackjobs, but this tops everything now.

A couple of months ago I bought a fancy aluminum bracket so I could run a serpentine setup with an alternator from a much newer car. This RACING bracket broke into several pieces and I can't tension the alternator anymore. But $4 walmart ratchet strap can!

The torque strut bracket broke on my old Celebrity, so I used a strap to hold the mighty (95 whp!) V6 down.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At one point I had the starter in a borrowed car fail. The cast body of the thing actually cracked around one of the bolts holding it in and the other wasn't enough to keep it from drooping down enough to where it wouldn't engage the flywheel anymore. Two wrenches wedged in just so managed to cram it back into position so I could start the thing and get it back to its owner.

My afternoon was then spent replacing that starter with one harvested from another vehicle which was laying on its side in said person's yard, so that's the level of beater I was dealing with.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jesus H, when just being up on cinder blocks isn't enough.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

I'm told it was quite the scary moment when this happened during a drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Frobbe posted:

I'm told it was quite the scary moment when this happened during a drive

goddamn split rims