Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

RadicalR posted:

Okay, I got one. A PSX game where you play as an agent or something but the game keeps track on how much damage you do (cost value) at the top of the screen. I remember being able to shoot out lights.

Syphon Filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Does anyone remember the name of an old isometric rpg/action puzzler that was set in a land with a magic civ and a tech civ and you played the child of parents who came from each civ? He was like the result of a forbidden union type deal because they weren't suppose to hang out with each other. I remember playing the demo if it. I think they were kind of like hobbit type characters

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RadicalR posted:

Okay, I got one. A PSX game where you play as an agent or something but the game keeps track on how much damage you do (cost value) at the top of the screen. I remember being able to shoot out lights.

For some reason the first thing I thought of was Project Overkill, a PSX game where you can play as one of four distinct agents, blasting through levels with tons of destructible features and a general emphasis on death and destruction. I even wanted to say that the game kept tally how much poo poo you wrecked at the end of each level, but it looks like it primarily just kept track of total level kills as a "termination efficiency".

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keru posted:

Syphon Filter?

Syphon Filter didn't have a score counter.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason the first thing I thought of was Project Overkill, a PSX game where you can play as one of four distinct agents, blasting through levels with tons of destructible features and a general emphasis on death and destruction. I even wanted to say that the game kept tally how much poo poo you wrecked at the end of each level, but it looks like it primarily just kept track of total level kills as a "termination efficiency".

I remember the death animations being pretty gnarly.

I have a submission for the thread. A early to mid 2000's freeware doujin fighter made in one of those 2D fighter maker programs (think Arm Joe) made by a team called Studio FK or maybe Team FK. The one character I remember was a guy who looked like a normal anime teenager but transformed into a Super Deformed (big head, squat body) version of himself. Wore a green shirt and tan or brown pants. The character might have been named Suneo. I can find their next more popular game easily. Super Cosplay Wars Ultra but their previous title escapes me.

Video of Super Cosplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv2TX8k-Ryk

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'm trying to remember the name of an indie-ish RTS from the days when there were a ton of them. Released after starcraft and strongly influenced by it, so late 90s or early naughts. 2D graphics. The designer was some big name starcraft player, by the standards of competitive mouse clicking in the late 90s. I don't think the game had a campaign, just multiplayer. The big mechanic I remember was that resourcing required you to link towers together from your main to your expansion, which you then had to defend to get stuff out of your expansion. I think the name and setting were generic fantasy, which is why I can't find the damned things.

E: Ah. Strifeshadow was the name and it was painfully generic. I only found this because I remembered that the designer was the guy who introduced the "new school" versus "old school" RTS player distinction, which lead me to this webpage of his from 1999 that defined the terms, which lead to me googling his nickname and getting his Liquipedia page, which lead to me learning that he's now a VP of Design on Riot and in charge of the League of Legends design team. Man, poo poo happens to people in 20 years.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 7, 2018

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is going to be a hard one due to it's vagueness, but my friend's trying to remember the name of a mid-2000s MMO. She described it as being a lovecraftian doom-like mmo fps. Anything that that description reminds you of would help.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Genocyber posted:

This is going to be a hard one due to it's vagueness, but my friend's trying to remember the name of a mid-2000s MMO. She described it as being a lovecraftian doom-like mmo fps. Anything that that description reminds you of would help.

Probably Hellgate: London

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Maybe The Secret World also. I forgot when it came out though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Probably Hellgate: London

That was it! Thank you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indie horror game I downloaded from itch.io a few years ago. Stylized after MSX/DOS graphics in monochrome. It was set in Japan and kind of designed like an interactive fiction simulation (think King of Dragon Pass) where each day you investigate paranormal happenings around the city, bad stuff happens to you, and you manage your health and sanity.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://panstas.itch.io/world-of-horror ?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep, that's it. Was supposed to be a full version coming out soon.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to remember the name of a ship combat game I played ~two decades ago. From most to least certain, I remember it:
- was a 3d game with 3rd person perspective for either ps2, ps1, or pc
- was definitely not a simulator, very arcade-y
- had you play as the last(maybe?) battleship. It was gray and I think the main attack it had was the broadside, but it could also do depth charges to fight submarines?
- had you often navigating close to land or in rivers & shooting things onshore
- was not open-world, had defined levels+missions
- had whirlpools that were either the level transitions or traps. Also powerups you could sail over to collect

Any help would be appreciated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Naval Ops: Warship Gunner on PS2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDZXTKCJJTY

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

That looks like it could be a decent game, which this was not.

Found it while looking at image search results for that game -- it was Battleship: Surface Thunder. Thanks!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Game Boy or Game Boy Color. The guy at EB Games or where ever was suggesting a game for a teenage daughter. I think he mentioned that you go party with friends? Or maybe you get drunk? Man, I don't remember. Are there any games for the Gameboy where you do that?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've been trying to find an arcade game for a long rear end time now but I can't remember the name for the life of me
It's this game where you play a guy in a leather jacket and brown/blonde hair fighting against toys and stuff. It's a Run-n-Gun/beatemup I think? I keep thinking it was named 'Atomic Toy' but that's definitely not the name. I think it had 'Toy' in the name, but I'm not 100% on that.

Wamdoodle posted:

I have a submission for the thread. A early to mid 2000's freeware doujin fighter made in one of those 2D fighter maker programs (think Arm Joe) made by a team called Studio FK or maybe Team FK. The one character I remember was a guy who looked like a normal anime teenager but transformed into a Super Deformed (big head, squat body) version of himself. Wore a green shirt and tan or brown pants. The character might have been named Suneo. I can find their next more popular game easily. Super Cosplay Wars Ultra but their previous title escapes me.

Fighters Kyodotai. it's a pretty fun game. the final boss is just a really buff version of Doraemon.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I've been trying to find an arcade game for a long rear end time now but I can't remember the name for the life of me
It's this game where you play a guy in a leather jacket and brown/blonde hair fighting against toys and stuff. It's a Run-n-Gun/beatemup I think? I keep thinking it was named 'Atomic Toy' but that's definitely not the name. I think it had 'Toy' in the name, but I'm not 100% on that.
Biomechanical Toy kinda looks like it might fit the bill.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

I think this one is Biomechanical Toy.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Okay, gonna try my luck here.
Some 20 years ago, I got my first Windows PC with a demo CD with it, filled with shareware and similar.
One of the games was this point n click adventure like game. Stylewise it looked almost like it was created in paint, flat colours, no real shading as far as I remember.

It started you in a sinister looking city at night, then you ventured into the sewers and finally emerged in some fantasy world.

And that's it! I didn't really understand English at that point, so I only progressed by trial and error and that CD has left the world a long time ago. Does it ring a bell somewhere, even with my less than comprehensive description?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Master System Castlevania clone where you have a sword and fight Jack the Ripper (maybe??) anyone?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Iacen posted:

Okay, gonna try my luck here.
Some 20 years ago, I got my first Windows PC with a demo CD with it, filled with shareware and similar.
One of the games was this point n click adventure like game. Stylewise it looked almost like it was created in paint, flat colours, no real shading as far as I remember.

It started you in a sinister looking city at night, then you ventured into the sewers and finally emerged in some fantasy world.

And that's it! I didn't really understand English at that point, so I only progressed by trial and error and that CD has left the world a long time ago. Does it ring a bell somewhere, even with my less than comprehensive description?

Sounds like Dare To Dream to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyo22H2Liuk

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Master System Castlevania clone where you have a sword and fight Jack the Ripper (maybe??) anyone?

I feel like this is too easy but Vampire: Master of Darkness?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that's it my brain kept telling me Legacy of Darkness lol

Thanks

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fighters Kyodotai. it's a pretty fun game. the final boss is just a really buff version of Doraemon.

drat, I KNEW it was Fighters something or other. Thank you!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's something that's bugging a friend of mine and now me, I wasn't sure it was a game but he thinks it was. This would've been around 2003 and we were at some restaurant/bar, when we saw this long crt monitor on the bar table. It had an old credit card reader built into the front. The title screen said Card something. I thought it was some fancy till, but my friend thinks it was a portable touch-screen arcade with card games on it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Could be anything? I remember a family restaurant in the 80s that had a sit-down Galaga table, with controllers and coin slots on both seated sides.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chubby Henparty posted:

Could be anything? I remember a family restaurant in the 80s that had a sit-down Galaga table, with controllers and coin slots on both seated sides.

There is a scene in about the middle of The Wizard (1990) where Jimmy is playing Ninja Gaiden on one of these. I'd screenshot it, but I'm at work.

If it helps, it's when Haley first tells them about Video Game Armageddon. I remember because she plops the magazine right on top of the screen while he's still playing :argh:

Edit: skip to 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrIn8hklG-I

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 30, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It was definitely not a cocktail arcade. It's literally a crt tv/monitor placed on a bar table, not built into a table.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's something that's bugging a friend of mine and now me, I wasn't sure it was a game but he thinks it was. This would've been around 2003 and we were at some restaurant/bar, when we saw this long crt monitor on the bar table. It had an old credit card reader built into the front. The title screen said Card something. I thought it was some fancy till, but my friend thinks it was a portable touch-screen arcade with card games on it.

Was it a Megatouch? They have those in bars all over the place

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Long shot, maybe.

DOS racing game, you played as what appeared to be an F1 driver with a big helmet. No selectable car. Each stage/level had a different group of car opponents. I specifically remember what appeared to be a toxic waste plant or something and every opponent was a pickup truck. I think that was level 2.

Might have been level 3. First level in retrospect was sunshiny and bright with palm trees I think. I don't even know why I care about this, but it's been bothering me. Only unremembered game from my childhood aside from Flying Warriors.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 1, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Meridian posted:

Long shot, maybe.

DOS racing game, you played as what appeared to be an F1 driver with a big helmet. No selectable car. Each stage/level had a different group of car opponents. I specifically remember what appeared to be a toxic waste plant or something and every opponent was a pickup truck. I think that was level 2.

Might have been level 3. First level in retrospect was sunshiny and bright with palm trees I think. I don't even know why I care about this, but it's been bothering me. Only unremembered game from my childhood aside from Flying Warriors.

What perspective? Top-down, behind the car, etc.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'm trying to remember the name of an old Xbox game. It was a western that focused on gun fighting and quick draw duels. I remember it being very stylized. I remember one of the early levels has you fighting a group of cowboy clowns. The game may have been japanese.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Armacham posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an old Xbox game. It was a western that focused on gun fighting and quick draw duels. I remember it being very stylized. I remember one of the early levels has you fighting a group of cowboy clowns. The game may have been japanese.

Red Dead Revolver

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gun had you fighting some Clowns at one point too, didn't it?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

al-azad posted:

Red Dead Revolver

Yep that was definitely it! Thanks!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaodai posted:

Gun had you fighting some Clowns at one point too, didn't it?

the only clown in GUN was the player character

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What perspective? Top-down, behind the car, etc.

Definitely behind the car.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Was it a Megatouch? They have those in bars all over the place

This looks like it's in the right ballpark. I don't know if the specific one we saw was a megatouch but it's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trying to think of a mobile game, might have been Android only, that had a first person perspective, had room-based movement, puzzle solvey stuff, and I think survival elements? Like there was stuff to craft/upgrade and enemies to fight off. You started not knowing what was going on/with amnesia too, I think.

e: Nvm after an hour of searching I found it. Dark Meadow: the Pact.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 3, 2018